Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
So I posted over in the DSA thread and it looks like I opened a can of worms. A poster recommended that I ask my question over here, too. Can people break down Trotskyism for me? Can people also break down why a lot of leftists don't like Trotskyism? I've done a little reading myself and I dig some of their ideas but then I see them get decried on the internet and I don't entirely understand why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Lasting Damage posted:

dgcf already did a great job describing the who and the what, but it might also be helpful for you do describe some of these ideas they have that you like, to make sure other posters understand what you mean by Trotskyism.

Flournival Dixon posted:

I'd be interested to hear what specifics of it sound appealing, to me it feels like it appeals to countermaterialistic anarchist style moralizing but I'm far from like the average normal person when it comes to thinking about politics and how things should work as opposed to how they actually do according to my understanding of history and material reality.

People in this thread might poke fun at you for elaborating but nobody's going to be that mean unless you're a real dipshit about it and refuse to read capital for months and months and months on end all the while insisting that you've found the specific anti-coat equation that disproves the whole thing.

Sure thing. I'm mostly just curious about the term as I don't really know much about it - I don't consider myself a Trotskyist.... or any really kind of leftist. I read theory here and there but the vast majority of it goes over my head. I think Lenin had some good ideas. The big thing I understand about Trotskyism, which some of you have already pointed out, is the idea of permanent revolution (which I think is a cool idea on paper but who knows if it would ever be possible). The only other two ideas that I think are from Trotsky is getting working/poor people involved in revolution and that he was very anti-bourgeois revolution. Any all and info is greatly appreciated.