Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

the really meaning it is important, people call that "intention". Providing a spectacle or a sacrifice, alongside/in addition to the talking, are a couple of the ways a person might express to their audience how much they really mean it
Exactly!

euphronius posted:

the Tolkien podcast is going into what “spells” are too in the lord of the rings. they seem to be “talking and really meaning it”
Lord of the Rings was disclosure. In this scene we see both Wormtongue and Gandalf using talking-and-really-meaning-it magic, and Gandalf's being stronger. The staff is just a spectacle that adds to the talking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mPE9gcQJo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My biggest hope is the birds are so interested in the nukes because they want to prevent their use and if any are ever fired they'll get swarmed by orbs and disabled.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

D-Pad posted:

My biggest hope is the birds are so interested in the nukes because they want to prevent their use and if any are ever fired they'll get swarmed by orbs and disabled.
Me too. I support:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Give Radar the nukes
He'll know how to dismantle them.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

birds didnt stop Hiroshima and Nagasaki, they dont stop nuclear tests (maybe they have done this actually we wouldnt be told). i guess it depends how valuable you assume humanity to be from the birds point of view, i think obviously they would let us all die. they dont save lives in famines or weather catastrophies for example. they seem to care and be curious more for the planet itself though and might intervene to save it. who knows its like thinking about what god might do...my little mind cant do it.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Sleekly posted:

birds didnt stop Hiroshima and Nagasaki, they dont stop nuclear tests (maybe they have done this actually we wouldnt be told). i guess it depends how valuable you assume humanity to be from the birds point of view, i think obviously they would let us all die. they dont save lives in famines or weather catastrophies for example. they seem to care and be curious more for the planet itself though and might intervene to save it. who knows its like thinking about what god might do...my little mind cant do it.
Even if they don't care that much about humanity/individual humans dying, if us loving up the planet fucks it up for them too, they could still care a lot about what we do. Like if they're native/extradimensional to earth, or trying to immigrate here from elsewhere, or something. Famines and weather catastrophes don't normally carry the same existential risk for the environment/planet.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Orbs posted:

Even if they don't care that much about humanity/individual humans dying, if us loving up the planet fucks it up for them too, they could still care a lot about what we do. Like if they're native/extradimensional to earth, or trying to immigrate here from elsewhere, or something. Famines and weather catastrophes don't normally carry the same existential risk for the environment/planet.

well loving it up for us may not be loving it up for them. maybe higher temps and pollutants all over is going to be fine for them. like i dunno global nuclear war may be allowed but yellowstone exploding may be stopped. there is no guessing at intervention triggers and likewise no guessing at their preferred outcomes. just riding the interesting mud ball till it swallows me lol

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
e:wrong thread

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

mediaphage posted:

you can take a while to recover from some infections while not being actively contagious. if you’re testing negative you aren’t infectious but you’re likely still recovering.

True, but in the same vein, 90% of at home tests are missing asymptomatic cases (and those people are still contagious) per an article posted in the covid thread a while ago. That doesn't inspire hope for at-home tests in general. Hopefully PCR's are having better luck, but I'm unsure of how many still have access to that sort of testing.

People definitely need to be careful with any sort of exertion after recovering for a while as well.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You mean in the same way we have proof of evolution and yet around 40% of US adults still believe in young earth creationism?

Oh god please tell me it's not that high

euphronius posted:

the Tolkien podcast is going into what “spells” are too in the lord of the rings. they seem to be “talking and really meaning it”

Link please, I'd love to hear some more awesome talk about Eru Ilúvatar and the nature of creation and magic. It was one of the first fantasy works I read as a child where I delved deep into the metaphysical background of the world and I just flat out enjoy hearing others discuss it as well.

The act of speaking change into reality is also in 40k and it's known as enuncia.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Orbs posted:

a full nuclear exchange goes too far. you can't kill all the people! at least some need to stick around and you know, suffer. delicious, delicious suffering :yum:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it’s this one https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mythgards-exploring-the-lord-of-the-rings/id1490931468?i=1000652296901

this is a long haul pod. I don’t know if dropping in would be easy

it’s about this section

‘I once knew every spell in all the tongues of Elves or Men or Orcs, that was ever used for such a purpose. I can still remember ten score of them without searching in my mind. But only a few trials, I think, will be needed; and I shall not have to call on Gimli for words of the secret dwarf-tongue that they teach to none. The opening words were Elvish, like the writing on the arch: that seems certain.’

He stepped up to the rock again, and lightly touched with his staff the silver star in the middle beneath the sign of the anvil.

Annon edhellen, edro hi ammen! Fennas nogothrim, lasto beth lammen!

he said in a commanding voice. The silver lines faded, but the blank grey stone did not stir.

that’s Gandalf obviously

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the elvish part means something like “elf door, open up for us, gate of the dwarves, listen to my words “

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ben Nerevarine posted:

e:wrong thread

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sleekly posted:

birds didnt stop Hiroshima and Nagasaki, they dont stop nuclear tests (maybe they have done this actually we wouldnt be told).

https://metro.co.uk/2024/02/13/ufo-disabled-nuclear-missile-using-laser-beams-pacific-20269737/

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

maybe the aliens never developed nuclear technology and are getting all of the telemetry feasible so that they can return home w the secrets to unlocking this apocalyptic weapon for themselves

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

aw frig aw dang it posted:

In fact the whole universe was supposed to have been created by Eru Iluvatar talking, and the powers he gave to the gods were in the form of music. It's a really neat cosmology

the universe getting talked into reality is just the Memphite theology!

https://www.nsspress.com/clements_early_2nd_demo/ch2/sec17.htm posted:

A second theology, the Memphite theology, enlarged upon these concepts. It apparently dates from the New Kingdom (1551-1070 B.C.), although it is possible that, given the importance of Memphis in the Old Kingdom, it was based on an earlier theology. The source for this theology is the Shabaka Stone, an eighth century B.C. copy or summary of an older text. In any case, it is at least two centuries earlier than the corresponding priestly composition of Genesis 1.

The Memphite theology proclaimed that Ptah, the major deity of the city or perhaps the god of its artisans, was the God of all gods. The Memphite priesthood seized upon a weakness of the Heliopolitan system, i.e. the undefined first Nun from which Atum emerged. The theology takes the opportunity to place Ptah prior in time and brings within him all elements of the cosmology. In the Memphite theology, Ptah is made prior in time to Atum and greater in scope. He is the All-god including the chaotic mystery of Nun. He appears in all; and all things are part of his creation. Compare John 1: 3 “All things were made by him, and without him was not anything made....” This combination of Ptah-Nun that begat Atum forms a new trinity of Ptah-Nun-Atum replacing the Atum-Shu-Tefnut trinity of ka modes.

The Memphite theology also improves upon the method of creation, from a purely physical act to an act of thought and speech. Ptah is called the “heart and tongue” of the Ennead. In him creation is by the word, or Logos. He is the original vital force, and when the concept of creation was formed in his heart (where the Egyptians conceived thoughts to be from), it became manifest when the word reached his tongue.

The Memphite cosmogony gives us an antecedent for creation by divine command, as in Genesis 1, and for the appearance of the nature of the divine as Logos, as in John 1:1, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the word was God.” Further, the Memphite theology states that “Ptah was satisfied after he had made everything,” so Ptah rested. In the later Genesis account of creation, Genesis 1:31, “God saw everything that he had made, and, behold, it was good.” And in Genesis 2:2, god ended his work of creation and rested.

The transition from soothing flow of water, like the Nile, to divine command, like king’s royal command, had political implications which highlight the New Kingdom’s theology. The implication is that the Logos (Word) of the godhead and the Logos (Word) of god-king are indistinguishable. In some accounts, the Memphite theology states that Ptah, the Word on his tongue, was exhaling or expelling air as he spoke, or in some made an audible cry. Again, compare the creation stories found in Genesis: God creating male and female in his own image, as in the Heliopolitan theology, and God creating man and blowing his breath into Adam’s nostrils. (Genesis 2:7 “...breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.”)

The creation command of Hebrew God comes into the Christian religion in John, and both repeat the breath of life idea of Heliopolitan theology and the Logos cosmology familiar from the Memphite theology. (Genesis 1:3ff “And God said...”) (John 1:1 “In the beginning was the Word.”) The Christian religion broke from the Hebrew religious environment but maintained a Logos cosmology in John in which the creative word of god identified with the Son of God sent into this world, like Horus and all the god kings sent to rule this world. Compare John 1:14 “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory of the only begotten of the Father,)....” We might further note that the Light (sun) was Jesus Christ.

It is these commonalities that cause Professor Luckert to ask; can we still maintain as Henri Frankfurt did in Ancient Egyptian Religion (1948), that there is a distinction between Hebrew monotheism and Egyptian monotheism based on the difference between transcendence and immanence? Was the breath blown into the nostrils of Adam by the Hebrew God any less material than the Egyptian wind of Shu? Were the creative commands of the Hebrew God in Genesis more spiritual than the commands resounding from the heart and tongue of Ptah?

it shows up some other places too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Demilich posted:

True, but in the same vein, 90% of at home tests are missing asymptomatic cases (and those people are still contagious) per an article posted in the covid thread a while ago. That doesn't inspire hope for at-home tests in general. Hopefully PCR's are having better luck, but I'm unsure of how many still have access to that sort of testing.

People definitely need to be careful with any sort of exertion after recovering for a while as well.

Oh god please tell me it's not that high

Link please, I'd love to hear some more awesome talk about Eru Ilúvatar and the nature of creation and magic. It was one of the first fantasy works I read as a child where I delved deep into the metaphysical background of the world and I just flat out enjoy hearing others discuss it as well.

The act of speaking change into reality is also in 40k and it's known as enuncia.

the at-home tests are are still catching more cases than they dont (this is brand dependent though i suppose) and more to the point if you've tested positive and then stopped testing positive, i'd certainly consider it a good sign. testing negative plus wearing an n95 would make you pretty gold

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

whatever

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

D-Pad posted:

If any nukes are fired we'll all die

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

First day back to work was a doozy. I'm a courtesy driver for a car dealership and typically, Mondays tend to be the busiest days. Today didn't buck the trend.

Still have brain fog. Just feel a couple of steps out of sync from the rest of the world.

In between runs, I tend to park out by myself and sky watch. My autistic anti social rear end can only handle so much alpha male horse poo poo, so yeah. I can fake it with customers, but I'm simply not too interested in hearing salesmen and service techs blather.

I wish almost every day that it happens while I'm on the clock. White House lawn, UN building, Australian outback, Diego Garcia, wherever. I've lived with constantly going over the worst case scenarios for decades now. And there's an unkind part of myself that wants everybody else to feel what I do when I have to get up and go to a job that's draining me of any sort of hope that anything gets better without a true ontological shock to the rest of the world.

Sorry to poop up the thread with bad vibes. Just feel..I dunno. Just sorta like I've been sleepwalking through life and it's more than halfway over.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

It's cool, misery loves company and I'm pretty miserable right now too so it doesn't bother me at all.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

birds engage in gestural communication

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Oh yeah?? Well I got a gesture for u

*throws up peace sign, then does that gesture from Fury Road at you*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

people will look at this and think “hell yeah”

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

gileadexile posted:

First day back to work was a doozy. I'm a courtesy driver for a car dealership and typically, Mondays tend to be the busiest days. Today didn't buck the trend.

Still have brain fog. Just feel a couple of steps out of sync from the rest of the world.

In between runs, I tend to park out by myself and sky watch. My autistic anti social rear end can only handle so much alpha male horse poo poo, so yeah. I can fake it with customers, but I'm simply not too interested in hearing salesmen and service techs blather.

I wish almost every day that it happens while I'm on the clock. White House lawn, UN building, Australian outback, Diego Garcia, wherever. I've lived with constantly going over the worst case scenarios for decades now. And there's an unkind part of myself that wants everybody else to feel what I do when I have to get up and go to a job that's draining me of any sort of hope that anything gets better without a true ontological shock to the rest of the world.

Sorry to poop up the thread with bad vibes. Just feel..I dunno. Just sorta like I've been sleepwalking through life and it's more than halfway over.
Yeah, no reason to be sorry since that's how you feel. Vibes should be authentic, not necessarily always 'good'.

Hoping for things to get better is a survival instinct for me. If I don't hope, I become paralyzed by fear and indecision instead, especially with how many things have gone wrong in my life, and are continuing to.

It does seem like ontological shock is starting to happen in the world though (just mainly because of climate and capitalism, rather than aliens). Things are changing rapidly by world history standards, if nothing else, and change means possibility.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This kind of intersects also with an aside the witchcraft thread just had about what "spells" are exactly ("what you do every day, actually") and a thought it helped me have about the differences between a spell and a prayer including the amount of creativity put into it. A prayer may be compelling speech, but it is still only speech; whereas something that an onlooker might perceive as a "spell" or "ritual" contains additional creative elements, the more intricate or intimate or exotic the more powerful the spell. If I ask the Divine to help my friend through their troubles through words alone, I am praying. If I ask the Divine to help my friend through their troubles, in rhythm or verse, while stirring a pot of herbal confections pleasing to that Deity for that friend to consume and be thereby uplifted and empowered; I am practicing magic.

If to create is to participate in the Divine nature, and this is both expected and desired of us; and if to practice magic is simply to express our prayers in creative ways; then if one truly desires to create change in the world what is one to do, but practice magic

I will go along with you as far as, this depends on the Power one is addressing. We come from different faith traditions, of course. Offering one's "broken and contrite spirit," offering oneself as a "living sacrifice," showing mercy and helping the poor and powerless, are the acts of true worship and prayer. I know it will be unproductive to argue about the object of your worship, so take care. :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

we all worship the same God, friend

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

Sleekly posted:

If you wanna get really weird, 'Ra' answers this exact question:

https://lawofone.org/s/26#23 posted:

26.23 Questioner: Could you please give me an example from, let us say, Hiroshima or Nagasaki of how this is done?

Ra: I am Ra. Those who were destroyed, not by radiation, but by the trauma of the energy release, found not only the body/mind/spirit complex made unviable, but also a disarrangement of that unique vibratory complex you have called the spirit complex, which we understand as a mind/body/spirit complex, to be completely disarranged without possibility of re-integration. This would be the loss to the Creator of part of the Creator and thus we were given permission, not to stop the events, but to ensure the survival of the, shall we say, disembodied mind/body/spirit complex. This we did in those events which you mention, losing no spirit or portion or holograph or microcosm of the macrocosmic Infinite One.
To translate this out of bird-speak: The God-spark in humans is important, the person itself not so much...

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9zdCc3LPJg

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Nuclear bombs being able to disrupt the cohesion of the soul would certainly explain why the birds are so interested in them. They are already tragic weapons but infinitely worse if they did such a thing.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

LOL, I just realized why I can’t stand Lue. His entire character and tone is identical to people I’ve interacted with (higher ups, douchebros, etc) that think they are tricking you but in fact they are not

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

hellotoothpaste posted:

LOL, I just realized why I can’t stand Lue. His entire character and tone is identical to people I’ve interacted with (higher ups, douchebros, etc) that think they are tricking you but in fact they are not

I mean, that and the facial hair sums it up

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
wrong thread

Orbs has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Apr 16, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Orbs posted:

I don't.

then you are my enemy

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Winifred Madgers posted:

I will go along with you as far as, this depends on the Power one is addressing.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

we all worship the same God, friend

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

euphronius posted:

people will look at this and think “hell yeah”

Just makes me think of mummies. One in particular.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Apr 16, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hellotoothpaste posted:

hmm. not sure how somber to feel about this.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

THE GODS ARE REAL
THE MOON IS FAKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

theres no way Lue would betray us. he will ride his motorcycle straight into area 51 and rescue the surviving crash site aliens