Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

Posadists get itt

hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Also the National UFO Reporting Center has a huge index of sightings indexed by state

people are still seeing crazy poo poo it never stopped

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Delonge is either in on the game or is being used imo

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

PawParole posted:

no Jesus was an alien trolling humanity, and there are alien cities on the moon.

don’t take this from me

Lol I had no idea what you were talking about, guess I should've read the whole thing. I thought he was more grounded than that.

peep these mysterious "structures on the moon"

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

reusing a post but

WEH posted:

I always got the feeling that the O'hare sighting could've been a huge deal if more than ~12 people saw it. Handwaving the entire thing away as a bunch of people getting confused by a fallstreak hole doesn't make any sense, both because if you live or work anywhere near an airport (and especially one as busy as O'hare) in that kind of climate, you're likely going to have seen one already, and also because people in different locations placed it directly above the same gate.

Whatever the thing was probably did make a fallstreak hole when it left and the FAA just latched onto that fortuitous event as a way to write the whole thing off. Most of the people that saw it worked for United Airlines, which then and probably now actively suppresses employees from reporting UFO sightings, so the whole thing went away.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I've been hearing that disclosure is around the corner for so long that even this unprecedented poo poo doesnt move me much. On the other hand, if the relatively mundane (for the subject matter) and old footage coming out is enough to get the gears turning publicly I would bet that whatever hypothetical agency exists to compartmentalize this poo poo got properly freaked out by something changing in the last few years.

Or it's just running cover for something else lmao

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

the ufo disclosures were part of epstein's dead man's switch

this neatly explains why he spelled his own name wrong on the chalkboard of that one photo, gently caress!! always thought that dude had a weirdly shaped head

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

lol i'm only seeing now that's tailor-made to appeal to the people that think compression errors are evidence of lizard people. also good joke but holy poo poo!!

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I am once again plugging NUFORC and to look through the archives for each state. People have never stopped seeing things, gently caress da skeptoid wannabes

e: the site helpfully notes which sightings are probably starlink or whatever; its not always true but the highlighted entries are usually more in depth. I don't understand the criteria to being highlighted but I assume its some old dude who doesn't understand computers filing poo poo

WEH has issued a correction as of 04:33 on May 21, 2021

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

one of my favorite "land of contrasts" UFO people is chris white, who put together an incredibly lengthy and well-researched documentary refuting the claims of ancient astronaut theorists through a deeply skeptical and sectarian lens, but who also just happens to believe that angels and demons are real and are contacting people on the earth plane

I didn't know that about that dude but he can believe whatever he loving wants cos I've easily gotten 8+ hours of entertainment over the years laughing at his ancient astronaut vid

If you happen to make a deeply skeptical and sectarian refutation of whatever he believes about angels and demons I promise to watch at least that amount of it

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

LRADIKAL posted:

Ok, this thread has been officially taken over by Galaxy brain true believers.

:byewhore:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Here's a ufo sighting my friend sent me last year. It's probably a drone but I'm surprised it was that bright during the day

https://youtu.be/TBMM9yyq7GE

I actually submitted it to that nuforc site and it doesn't list it as starlink or whatever that I assumed it was

I genuinely apologize because after watching the video before seeing the edit and the months old NUFORC submission I thought that whatever it was was acting like lens flare mirroring the camera movement. It isn't and I'm glad people are using NUFORC!

Not related to the quoted post, but especially on the coasts (but also inland) it's important to know that theres a bunch of work being done on high altitude spy balloons that usually show up on not paid off trackers like https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ but also are absolutely working without public transponders to some degree.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

pancake rabbit posted:

also:

-be interpreted as just cause to ramp up hostilities with china

I don't get this take in general because they are expressly no first use. Just go and do whatever in that case, why invoke ufos? Public-facing reasoning isn't going to change a possible nuclear exchange.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

pancake rabbit posted:

because u don't look a gift alien in the mouth

and

military industrial printer go brrrrr

so send a boat towards the contested islands and dare them to do something if you want the money printer to go brrr! this ufo poo poo is completely unnecessary if the point is to get china to fund the mic, especially because our preferred flavor of conflict requires uncontested air support

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Chamale posted:

And who developed this high-altitude balloon program for a cereals company

hahaha

I would hesitate to roll someone who emigrated to the US in 1937 with the paperclip ilk but I'm also not seeing any corroborating sources to back up that specific timeline ... lmao

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

x-files rules but the overarching plot episodes will only hurt you in the end

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Chamale posted:

It sounds like he left Nazi Germany so he wasn't a hardcore Nazi. But he would also be someone the government is 100% confident hates the Soviets. This lines up with Vasiliy Mitrokhin's claim that Roswell was a crashed Soviet spy balloon; if the Army Air Force had to scramble to start Project Mogul to create a Roswell cover story, they'd have to find some loyal scientist with a lot of knowledge about the new types of plastics being developed.

I'm gonna preface this with my belief that rosewell is pointless to try and figure out in 2021 cos everyone that knew anything is long dead, but why wouldn't the AAF just use him to help with project mogul if he came over in '37?

e: oh the soviet spy balloon theory is literally from the ancient aliens tv show nvm lol

Ross DaouThot posted:

and now i join posadists anonymous

welcome, comrade

WEH has issued a correction as of 06:52 on May 21, 2021

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Chamale posted:

What? I read about it in The Mitrokhin Archive. It's generally credible, although a lot of the claims aren't corroborated since they're leaked KGB archives. Ancient Aliens would probably say that Roswell was an alien spaceship, that's their whole thing.

The only thing I can find that ties the mitrokhin archive to roswell is a credit to him in an ancient aliens episode. elaborate if you wanna but its not at all clear otherwise

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Carl Von Awesomwitz posted:

It was started by a guy called Phil Schneider, a militia loving engineer who claimed that he killed two grey aliens (he kinda murdered them ngl) while working on one of those bunkers, which caused a firefight between the Secret Service and the aliens.

here is his cool and true story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abi11RCBKLQ&t=1161s

sheesh, I was familiar with the story but I didn't know he commited suicide* a little while after he started doing those presentations

*disputed by his ex-wife https://web.archive.org/web/20060506015406/http://www.apfn.org/apfn/ex_wifephil.htm

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

those puffball spore poo poo from mars freaks me out. looks like fuckin' life to me, or at least some wild weathering/chemical reaction.

also, btw, gently caress politifact. true or not, they are clearly claiming it:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351252619_Fungi_on_Mars_Evidence_of_Growth_and_Behavior_From_Sequential_Images

This poo poo is wild, but why didn't they specify where the fuckin public domain images were other than specifying which Sol they were taken on?

In any case the viking landers probably detected life back in the 70s according to the guy that designed the thing to detect life on mars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_lander_biological_experiments#Controversy)

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

LRADIKAL posted:

SPECULATING MORONS: THE THREAD

edit: (now for the first time in a Something Awful Dot Com Thread!)

:byewhore:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

free cuppy tea 100% gently caress da mods...guessing a qcs thread isnt going to work tho, sorry cuppy

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I've never seen anything, but my mom did on her sisters rural minnesota farm back in the 70s. She woke up in the middle of the night because she had to pee really badly, so she gets up and on her way to the bathroom notices weird lights coming from the kitchen. So she obviously goes to see whats up, and when she gets to the window in the kitchen she sees a big ol saucer with all sorts of lights sitting on the ground a little ways from the house. Right back to the bedroom she goes and waits until people start getting up hours later to use the bathroom.

The thing I've always thought makes it particularly compelling is that she really had to use the bathroom, so its not like she was in some sort of altered state or w/e, and she also never went back to sleep. I dunno, but I've been meaning to write it down somewhere and this'll do as a start.

Anyway, her sister's husband was super pissed she didn't wake anyone up because he 100% would have walked out to the thing and knocked on it to see wtf

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Also the last few pages rocked to catch up on thank you everyone for your hard work

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Think Less posted:

I really liked this. Thank you

Yep, same

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Just heard of this sighting by way of the same meteorologist doing an interview with Podcast UFO and it's pretty fuckin spooky. The article kinda glosses over it but the craft formed a triangle that specifically pointed back at the radar station, which spooked the poo poo out of the guy because he wondered initially if they were military and if they were about to shoot a radar seeking missile at him. An officer on the ground saw them do this maneuver at the same time he did. Also they retreated to the only unfrozen area of lake michigan lmao

Theres a youtube vid that compiles a couple(?) 911 calls, including him reacting to what he's seeing on the radar screen. His call (well, they called him) starts at 6:06.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYawV4ui53A&t=366s

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Bullfrog posted:

this one is spooky as poo poo. "cylindrical objects". Definitely sounds similar to the tic tacs to me

Yeah, in the interview he says he feels vindicated because he saw the exact same things 30 years ago.

I get chills just thinking about watching radar contacts go "yeah we see u bitch hi" I don't know how he didnt poo poo himself

Bideo James posted:

lmao when he says "oh there it is, lets see uhhhh, ok it disappeared" and then he finds it again

lmao they can detect and either displace or straight up move fast laughing at our radar

He was manually sweeping the radar between like milwaukee and chicago (or somewhere, either way far) and on one sweep one would be at milwaukee and on the next it would be at chicago. In like a second! Thats 400k mph lmao aaaaa

e: instead of double post

Bideo James posted:

is there an easy way to listen in to air traffic locally

and what about radar poo poo? i want to watch the skies around me more.

https://www.liveatc.net/

Idk about radar, it would probably only be weather radar and all publicly available feeds probably are programmed to filter everything else out.

WEH has issued a correction as of 21:07 on May 27, 2021

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Log082 posted:

Why? I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't get that vibe and am curious why you do.

I'm not sure I agree that they're ours, but 6"+, self-illuminated spheres only pulling 46-158mph is enough for me to file under "probably somebody else's weird drones." If the weirdest thing is that they went into the water and no debris could be found, meh.

Obviously it's something the military should be and is very concerned about, but it's not enough to pique my interest.

e: which isn't at all to say it doesn't belong here, it's just my two cents

WEH has issued a correction as of 23:25 on May 27, 2021

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

jfc no wonder they were curious that ship is ugly as hell

e: and thats also why they went into the water, they died as a result

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

err posted:

Have there been notable sightings outside of America?

yes

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Bullfrog posted:

I'm very skeptical of all the "psyop" angles in general. But the motive as to why the pentagon is openly discussing this and confirming vids is confusing to think about. I have a really hard time believing that if they really believed they were an adversaries' drones, they wouldnt either be much more quiet, or wouldn't have recovered something by now just by sheer brute force. I know those are both just assumptions, because it's possible the drones really are using some new tech and the US got leapfrogged.

The simplest explanation is that the US gov really does have no idea what the hell these things are, and the stigma has just faded for some reason. Or that we actually are in for a piping hot plate of Disclosure Goulash but I myself think that the gov hasn't actually got anything themselves

Yeah, I don't loving get it either. Either disclosure is getting close or this is some kind of disinfo tactic to distract against something else? I'm mostly joking but lmao if this is just a dumbass attempt at peeling off qanon morons into something more harmless

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Crusader posted:

i have yet to read up on the uap stuff but seti is also a recently relatively more active science investigation topic, partially due to breakthrough listen: https://arxiv.org/abs/2101.11137

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwue4L8m2Vs

Lol that this only has like 30 views, its good poo poo

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I wish it were my job to get paid in excess of six figures by the military to posit that using gargantuan amounts of energy to project lil balls of plasma extremely briefly is a great way to replace flares on aircraft

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I really recommend looking into the amount of energy needed for only one plasma ball matching the description and actions exhibited, much less the 16 or w/e actually present.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

These questions are popping up in my mind too, but I'm countering them with "well how about making a spaceship do those things" and "I don't know how a jet or radar works either, so it's at least as magical as those things"

Why would the navy release of video of themselves being spoofed by something they hold the patent for?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Pretending they don't know what they are while publicly advertising that they have them seems about as plausible as any of the other explanations

The bottom line is that we don't have anywhere near the power capacity to do it now, and we sure as poo poo didn't back in 2004. The article itself said they might be able to project up to a mile with the next generation of lasers, and I'm pretty sure those ships were more than a mile offshore when they were doing exercises.

mycomancy posted:

Could you generate the energy needed with, say, an array of compact fusion reactors housed on a naval vessel?

Maybe, but that would be a real silly way to use em

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I agree with this

Paradoxish posted:

this stuff is all just as much of a stretch as aliens
and this

munce posted:

Nah, only for balls of light which are a small subset of the total sightings. A lot of sightings have very detailed descriptions of structured craft that are clearly physical objects, and they still move in the same gravity defying ways (including the tic tac which is described as having two appendages coming from the bottom). Black triangles/Belgian wave of late 80s-early 90s is another good example but there are loads more.
but also I'm half serious when I say lmao did someone harness the power of the earths core starting like 70 years ago just to make these things happen all over the world, or failing that is the poo poo thats been happening in the last 30 years just compact fusion reactors being a threat to global power structures but the powers that be still want to have a bit of fun driving us mad.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-usFeWJ94Ak&t=179s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

It's probably a drone with a strobe attached specifically to gently caress with the guy who thinks he's catching something exotic at area 51 in 2021