Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
tom delonge has let me down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
it would be so cool if this turned out to be anything interesting. i want something not terrible to happen for once

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Hatebag posted:

If you can't earn it yourself, you'll just ruin space for the responsible species. No, we'll just have to wait 100M years for the next sapient species and see if they don't have psycho ape brains

i'm pretty sure there cant be anybody after us because of just how hard we've strip mined the planet lol

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

LRADIKAL posted:

Ball lightning and hallucinations, and I'll call the goon ball lightning stories hallucinations as well.

Has anyone read the Cixen Liu ball lightning story?

pls link/give title, i like his short stories

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Nov 30, 2023

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Backcountry posted:

Back in the 90’s I worked with a guy who saw a UFO. He was solid and stable average guy. Read the sports page, had a newborn, new house, tucked his shirt in. Nothing prior led me to believe he was anything but a guys guys.

Anyway, I was extremely counter culture and it was obvious being around me. Sp we were very different but had a good working friendship.

One day he pulls me aside and says “Hey man, cal I talk to you about something?”

He starts to tell me about how he thinks he and some friends saw a UFO while driving through Chickamauga battlefield, and he is afraid his family, friends and pastor would all think he’s crazy.

I Immediately started asking direct questions like “how far were you from it, what was it’s shape, did it make noise, how long did you see it, was anyone with you” and stuff like that.

He goes on to exactly describe what is now referred to as a black triangle UFO. I was never into UFOs so this was the first time I’d heard about such a thing. I kinda freaked out when years later stories of exactly what he described starts showing up all over.

Anyway, personally I think they are A.I. from our future.

superintelligent AI from the present that just set up shop in the deep ocean so it can keep itself cool and tap geothermal + mineral resources on the ocean floor, imo. thats my stupid scifi poo poo bet

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Delta-Wye posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS7gyZJg5nc&t=1817s

i'm watching this funny youtuber with his homemade superconductor. look at this thing, floating poo poo is weird. got me thinking though...

i wonder if this could be made to work with a huge permanent magnet, and a relatively tiny superconductor. If only there was some way to check to see if the tictacs were cold!!!

nilered videos own. i also like that he speaks so clearly/deliberately the youtube automated captions work perfectly

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
really gotta unteach the word 'quantum' from a lot of people

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Crazy-rear end things I'm starting to expect within the next couple of years include some motherfucker successfully injecting Vitamin-C production genes back into a human being and something previously thought to be supernatural being proven real (aliens at the top of the list, but I'd accept ghosts, psychic powers, or a couple of high-profile cryptids for this one). So come on, lemme see them aliens

i watched a guy on youtube crispr himself out of lactose intolerance. it didnt stick in the long term (intestinal cells have high turnover) but it did work for a few months. i was seriously impressed lol

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

mycomancy posted:

Um what? Who did that?

i am reasoanbly sure he didnt fake this whole thing but he constantly makes it clear what hes doing is extremely unsafe

also i think i misremembered the crispr part. it was some other vector. im a liberal arts degree holder so take with a big grain of salt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3FcbFqSoQY

and the 2 years later followup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoczYXJeMY4

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

wish *i* could go down to the pub and have pints with me alien lads

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Mola Yam posted:

pictures of one of the creatures are in the leaked images as well

i want to believe

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
i wish there were more left wing cranks to listen to about ufos and not fash cranks, very not fun

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Evil_Greven posted:

do you want to live in such a universe

i have some news for you, lad

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Bullfrog posted:

imagine an xcom game where you're constantly being gaslit by countries saying the aliens you fought were actually fake and they're cutting your funding.

i think this is part of the plot in ttfd lol

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Bullfrog posted:

excuse my ignorance, "ttfd"??

i mistyped it big time, xcom terror from the deep, tftd. whoops

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

this one is nearly assuredly the ISS lol

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Wheeee posted:

Destiny 2, a game with over 30million players which takes place in a far future where human civilization exists in a single megacity on earth, the solar system besieged by multiple mutually hostile alien species

In Destiny's latest season released last month there has been a tremendous effort to humanize and generate not only empathy but also sympathy for one of those alien species, the fallen:

https://www.gameinformer.com/opinion/2021/06/04/latest-destiny-2-season-of-the-splicer-cutscene-is-heartbreaking-and-beautifully

they really are just Dudes compared to the other factions, it always felt kinda hosed up fighting them considering their story lol

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Bob Socko posted:

Early submarines were lovely,

some europeans built them with screen doors,

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
both of these fellas seem like massive cranks dude

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Delta-Wye posted:

been thinking about fullmetal alchemist lately. it was an alright anime that came out in, idk, 2005 or so? it eventually outran the manga it was based on and took a turn for the bad which is pretty common when the source material dries up (see GoT).

they inserted a bizarre twist where matter is conserved for their alchemistry/magic, but the energy comes from suffering in a parallel world - ours. and ww1 was generating plenty of energy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVkc0GVq3vQ

the woman who was writing the manga helped make this weird rear end alternate ending. one she actually finished writing the manga it got a re-adaptation

also very weird to see something as insanely and wildly popular as full metal alchemist be talked about like this lol

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

OK baizuo posted:

Aliens should pay reparations to Earth for all the people they abducted. If they refuse it means they're racist speciest and it's okay to nuke them and take their tech

just saw this as an opening gag in Babylon 5 (whichi m watching for the first time) lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhC_KHkihKY

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 21:26 on Mar 22, 2023

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Azathoth posted:

The way that I've heard it explained is that the acceleration and deceleration itself is well within our understanding, even if the associated G forces would turn anything inside into a fine, red smear.

this is how i wann die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVW6DVi57cQ

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Spectral Debt posted:

how come the guy was the only thing affected by inertia and nothing else in the ship?

cool scene nonetheless

theres an actual explanation for that in the show/books. the wormhole zone has the ability to slow most things down, it just doesnt slow living things (because itd break biological processes). and at one point the machine running the area slows it down dramatically and thousands of people get owned like this

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 04:22 on Jun 17, 2021

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

have you not seen the expanse? because you should watch it, its good

agree, if scifi is your genre in the slightest the expanse will def do it for you

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
all of the people in that post are insane right wing ghouls why would i believe a word they say

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
honestly hoping its all insane alien poo poo because above all: i want to see Tom DeLonge vindicated

it would be the funniest poo poo imaginable if blink 182 vocalist slash guitarist tom delonge was the guy who broke the seal on aliens being real

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Mola Yam posted:

jesus christ joe, she's only aitee

lol

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
my gribblefication is nearly complete

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Rah! posted:

the aliens are visiting because they are fascinated by music, which is actually unique to humans

their favorite song is fight song

do you think they liked this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhuh9b_qFfo

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

they’re here for our hazelnuts, we’ve been over this

filbert harvesting aliens......

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Source4Leko posted:

That was one of the worst things I've ever seen thanks I hate it.

the democrat party owns

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

helta posted:

This is how you see aliens. Dude tossed this in our order of edibles. Yaaa buddy.

Dude what the gently caress, where?

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

helta posted:

Come up to south eastern ontario canada. The indigenous peeps dont gently caress around. 😀

im beyond jealous, ive had to grow my own. id gently caress that bar up in one go, 3g is a good dose

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
i recently learned grimes is 33, i was legitimately shocked

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Pontificating rear end posted:

also I keep watching the ending of 2001 and basically having sexual fantasies of being abducted into an alien zoo

have you not read Slaughterhouse V, lad

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Azathoth posted:

I believe 3, possibly 4 of those things, depending on the definition of "ancient" and whether he's referring to racist af Chariots of the Gods? bullshit

please list the 3 or 4 things of those you believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

multiple objects this size swing in pass saturn all the time tho, this is just a newly observed one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10199_Chariklo see