Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer
Problem description: I am having regular crashing/BSOD while playing games, within 10-30 minutes but seemingly at random. This occurred with Battletech, Crusader Kings 3, and Metro Exodus recently. I hadn't played any games since February/March or so, but had zero stability issues when I was playing games like Cyberpunk at the time.

Attempted fixes: Updated bios and video card drivers to latest with no luck. Clean installed Windows 10 and ran into the same issue. I've tried 2 or 3 different BIOS or GPU driver revisions, including to those dated January 2021 timeframe when my PC was stable, but no luck. I thought it might be a temperature or power draw issue, but my computer remains stable when I run CPU/GPU to 100% utilization using Prime95 and Furmark. Ran memtest and the test suite also passed.

Recent changes: No, I upgraded GPU and CPU in November 2020, but the PC was rock solid when I was gaming in the time afterward.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

System specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'd appreciate any ideas, this is the first major unexplained stability issues I've run into in almost 20 years of PC building, and am stumped. The last idea I have is to try running the PC with only 2 sticks of memory and see if one of my RAM pairs is the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender
Do you have KB5001330 (if on Windows 10 20H1) or KB5001337 (Windows 1930 or 1909) installed? Uninstall it if yes. That update has been known to cause issues like crashing/BSOD during gaming.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

John Kelly posted:

Do you have KB5001330 (if on Windows 10 20H1) or KB5001337 (Windows 1930 or 1909) installed? Uninstall it if yes. That update has been known to cause issues like crashing/BSOD during gaming.

Well, thanks for this suggestion, I will try it out. I'm just reading about it now and the timing definitely jives.