Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Enlisted is a free-to-play squad-based multiplayer WWII shooter with RPG elements published by Gaijin and developed by Darkflow software. In many ways gameplay is very similar to something like Battlefield with specialized classes filling different roles for your team while you take and defend objectives. Players also have access to armored vehicles and planes. However, unlike Battlefield, you do not play Enlisted as a single soldier, but an entire squad. When you spawn into the game you will be accompanied by 7-8 AI squad mates. They will follow you around, shoot at enemies, obey orders, and you can switch control to any of them whenever you like. This allows you to build a squad made up of several different classes and loadouts allowing for tactical flexibility. The AI system is not perfect. Your squadmates are very stupid and slow to react and they will often expose themselves to enemy fire. You can mitigate this through clever placement and regularly marking the location (or likely location) of enemies. Each squad has an overall specialization EG Riflemen, Assault, Gunner. To start, the squad will have space for a few soldiers of the specialized class and usually a rifleman or two. Through experience you can upgrade the size of the squad and adjust the class composition as well as perks for individual soldiers. This allows for Rifle squads which have attached an attached Gunner, Engineer, and Radio operator, for example. The squad system allows for quick respawns and takes a lot of the sting out of dying unlike games like Battlefield where your death means respawning and having to transit back to the battle. In my opinion this represents the natural evolution of the genre.

Of course, there is the free-to-play elephant in the room. The game features microtransactions which allow you to purchase weapons, experience, soldiers, and premium squads directly. Higher-tier weapons are generally better but keep in mind that the basic bolt-action rifle will kill in one hit and in my opinion remains relevant throughout your progress. Higher level soldiers have access to perks which give them various bonuses to reload speed, run speed, health, etc. The premium squads consist of a small number of tier IV soldiers with special weapons. While the individual soldiers have better stats and gear than your starting soldiers, they cannot progress in level, change their primary weapon, or add more soldiers to the squad. As such, your starting squads will overtake them in effectiveness fairly quickly. Overall I don’t think the F2P elements disturb the balance of the game but this could change in the future. As for progression, there is a premium account and an elite battlepass which grant faster experience and access to greater rewards by accomplishing battle tasks. Your progression will be slow if you don’t opt for the either. Together they cost about $20usd. It’s up to you to decide if this is a fair asking price for the experience.

Overall I think Enlisted plays like a better version of Battlefield, with a stronger emphasis on tactics and cooperation. If you aren't totally sold, check it out anyway! It's free after all!

https://enlisted.net/en/#!/

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Classes: Here is an overview of the game’s classes. This is written from the perspective of the Soviet Army for the Moscow campaign. I believe the basic information applies to all campaigns but feel free to correct me.

Trooper- Standard rifle carrying soldier. Starts with a bolt action that can be upgraded to a semiautomatic model later. Has access to grenades and explosive packs. I recommend giving every one of these soldiers an explosive pack for anti-tank purposes. Not a particularly flashy class but still important to filling out your squads and still very capable of destroying enemy infantry.

Engineer- Probably the most important class in the game. You will want one of these in every infantry squad. They can build fortifications in the form of barbed wire, tank traps, sandbags, AT guns, AAA emplacements as well as ammo caches where friendlies can replenish. Most importantly the engineer can build Rally Points for squads to spawn on. This is critical and good Rally Points will be the deciding factor in many battles. Generally you want to drop these spawns in locations that have protection from artillery and other explosives as they will be destroyed easily when placed in the open.

Gunner- Machine gunner. Early guns you have access to are generally more Automatic Rifle than MG, with limited magazines but very high stopping power. Later models have larger magazines and higher rates of fire but also tend to have more recoil. All MGs come with a deployable bipod which seriously increases the accuracy even while firing full auto. Once you figure out how to deal with the finnicky bipod you will become death. This class is excellent for holding down lanes and cutting off enemy reinforcements, however, it also excels at CQB. Hip firing on full auto is accurate and damaging enough that you should be able to defeat any non-assaulter at close range.

Assaulter- SMG-armed CQB master. With high rates of fire and decent damage, this class absolutely shreds at close range and is the best option for holding down most points. Due to the way XP is rewarded, this will likely be the first squad you fully level.

Sniper- Armed with a high-powered rifle and telescopic sight, this class is excellent at recon and long-range murder. Get in a second story of a building and plink away at enemy infantry. Unfortunately, due to the way the game rewards fighting on the objective it is hard to get high scores with this class. However, recon is critical to your team’s performance and having optics allows you to survey the battlefield better than any other class and provide excellent information for your teammates.

Bomber- Rifleman with access to an AT weapon. In the Moscow campaign this is an AT-Rifle. In Normandy you have access to HEAT -based weapons like the Sturmpistole and PIAT. In my experience the AT Rifles are not worth the trouble. They struggle to penetrate even most light tanks frontally and have very little post-pen damage. They require a direct hit to a crewmember or critical system to have any real effect. Since every infantry class has access to explosive packs, I find it’s generally better to just sacrifice one of them suicide bombing the tank directly. I have barely played Normandy so I can’t speak to the effectiveness of the more advanced AT weapons there.

Radio Operator- This class allows you to call in an artillery bombardment on an area of the map roughly 40m in diameter. The bombardment lasts about ten seconds and suppresses anyone in the area. It also deals decent damage on a direct hit and you can rack up kills if deployed properly. The Radio Operator dedicated squad gets access to an upgrade which allows for barrages to be called every 30 seconds. You want this. It’s incredibly effective at cutting off reinforcements or keeping a point suppressed indefinitely.

Mortar- A mortar operator. This class is currently very powerful though boring to play. You set up your mortar, set range, and then keep firing until you are out of ammo. If you have an engineer in your squad, you can drop an ammo dump and never run out again. While the mortar is deployed friendly markers will give a range indicator as well. Additionally, you can manually place a marker on your map which will also give a range. This allows you to drop a marker between the objective and the enemy spawn and just fire endlessly, locking down the point and racking up a ton of kills. You can easily rack up 100+ kills a round doing this, though you will be mind numbingly bored doing so. I expect this class will receive a nerf in the near future.
Flame Trooper- another highly specialized class. Your flamethrower has decent range but fairly low damage. In my opinion you want to use this as an area denial weapon. Your flames stick to the ground and other surfaces and persist for some time after being fired. This allows you to set entrances to areas on fire and block entrance. You can also use the flamethrower to clear confined spaces but I’ve had less luck with this. Overall a class which is very situationally useful.

Pilot – There are two main classes of planes and pilots, Attackers and Fighters. Attackers are used for Close Air Support and usually carry a load of rockets and/or bombs. With good coordination with ground units you can destroy tanks and enemy squads fairly effectively. Fighters are very agile and are useful for destroying enemy attackers, however I don’t think fighters have much of a place in the meta at the moment as they are not particularly useful once enemy CAS has been dealt with.

Tanker – Tank crew. Tanks are heavily armed and armored and can wreak havoc on the enemy when used properly. However, they are also very slow and have severely limited situational awareness. As such, they are very vulnerable to enemy infantry. A single infantryman with an explosive pack WILL kill you very easily if they are outside your field of view. If you would like to live, you should allow infantry to cover your sides and don’t ever get too close to a building if you cannot confirm it is empty. Enlisted uses a similar damage system to War Thunder for tanks, where angles and armor thickness are all taken into account when calculating whether a given projectile will penetrate the tank. Because of this, you should angle your tank when engaging enemy tanks and AT guns in order to maximize your armor’s effectiveness.

Fig 1. Effective Angling

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 20, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Game Modes:
Conquest: Each team has a pool of tickets that diminish if they do not hold more points than the enemy. Three points per map. This mode is a fast paced grind with dynamic tactics being critical to victory.

Invasion- Teams are designated Attacker and Defender and fight over a series of single points. The attacking team has a limited supply of tickets and will lose when they run out. They must capture each point in sequence to win and the defender must prevent this.

Assault- A more complicated version of invasion where the attacker must capture two points at a time to advance to the next point.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Discord: I’ve created a Discord for any goons interested in linking up. War is a team effort and coordination helps immensely. Working with reliable peers will greatly enhance your experience in this game.

https://discord.gg/54CEedv4kS

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 28, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

RESERVED: Campaigns

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Game's alright I guess, there's some deeply annoying things in the game but they are present only sometimes because the meta isn't completely settled but game'll become unplayable if people abuse them. That said the developers are fixing some of them so there's hope.

Pro-tip, you can get unlimited ammo resupply as long as you have another guy left in your squad. Hold alt to open the order menu, you can order squadmate to conjur up ammo as long as you have no more ammo in your gun and reserve.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

pedro0930 posted:

Game's alright I guess, there's some deeply annoying things in the game but they are present only sometimes because the meta isn't completely settled but game'll become unplayable if people abuse them. That said the developers are fixing some of them so there's hope.

Pro-tip, you can get unlimited ammo resupply as long as you have another guy left in your squad. Hold alt to open the order menu, you can order squadmate to conjur up ammo as long as you have no more ammo in your gun and reserve.

There has definitely been issues like the bomber spam at the game start that the Devs have addressed pretty quickly. I do worry about the future of the game but so far the devs have been pretty diligent in addressing concerns brought up by the players.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Found out the best way to attack on D-Day as the allies, which is to sit back with your infinite mortar rounds and just have one guy try to capture it. Because of the mortar shelling they can't get to the bunker to defend, but because you're not presenting anything more than a squad (in your stack anyway) to the enemy tickets go down super slow.

Also in half the maps you can use the bombers to hit the cap point and also the enemy spawn at the same time because they're so close.

This games going to be absolutely broken until they nerf poo poo.

That said, they recently nerfed planes a little and responding to rally point god mode being dumb as hell, so maybe there is hope.

Here's me MG42ing a conga line of AI (and focusing whichever guy he swapped to first so I didn't get domed) https://streamable.com/3wqqrg

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mortar definitely needs a nerf. I think an overheat meter would work nicely. And yeah planes with 250kg bombs are menace right as well. Theyve been good about fixing a lot of other balance issues so far so im optimistic.

i think MGs should probably have even worse accuracy while standing. they're like super assault rifles at the moment.

dogstile posted:

Here's me MG42ing a conga line of AI (and focusing whichever guy he swapped to first so I didn't get domed) https://streamable.com/3wqqrg

you're like the bad guys in saving private ryan

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 20, 2021

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Looks like a major update got pushed out today. Bunch of new levels and weapons added in

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Tibbeh posted:

Looks like a major update got pushed out today. Bunch of new levels and weapons added in

Patch Notes: https://enlisted.net/en/news/show/123-meet-the-major-update-at-the-reichstag-walls-en/#!/

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Game is good, AI is the absolute worst. They need a strategy wheel or AI customization that let's me stick them all in prone position and they never leave it for anything.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Posigniat posted:

Game is good, AI is the absolute worst. They need a strategy wheel or AI customization that let's me stick them all in prone position and they never leave it for anything.

Yeah I end up trying to stash my squad near where I am fighting but out of sight so they dont get eaten up.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Yeah I end up trying to stash my squad near where I am fighting but out of sight so they dont get eaten up.
Depending on the squad type they can actually be effective. If you drop a marker they will actually look that way and engage enemies.

ABM

A=Always
B=Be
M=Marking

ALWAYS BE MARKING

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

punishedkissinger posted:

Depending on the squad type they can actually be effective. If you drop a marker they will actually look that way and engage enemies.

ABM

A=Always
B=Be
M=Marking

ALWAYS BE MARKING

oh poo poo thats cool. I was already marking but didn't realize it helped the AI

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Fun game so far, love being able to play as the Soviets for a change. I think the ai squad system is perfect for this type of game, for one thing it means the battle looks and feels much larger and more populated, which is awesome. It also takes away a lot of the frustration about online shooters, because if I die I can just swap to another guy without "starting over" back at spawn. It also means there are ai dudes to kill, which is much easier. Basically the right balance for someone who doesn't need every game experience to be high speed low drag top performers only

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Fun game so far, love being able to play as the Soviets for a change. I think the ai squad system is perfect for this type of game, for one thing it means the battle looks and feels much larger and more populated, which is awesome. It also takes away a lot of the frustration about online shooters, because if I die I can just swap to another guy without "starting over" back at spawn. It also means there are ai dudes to kill, which is much easier. Basically the right balance for someone who doesn't need every game experience to be high speed low drag top performers only

Yeah i think it's a brilliant move for the Battlefield genre and hopefully other devs copy it. If you're playing Soviets you should hop in the discord so we can provide mutual aid!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah i think it's a brilliant move for the Battlefield genre and hopefully other devs copy it. If you're playing Soviets you should hop in the discord so we can provide mutual aid!

Battlefront tried something similar by mixing in random NPC soldiers among the players, but it didn't work nearly as well there as it does here. In there, whenever you were killing NPCs if just felt like you were wasting time that could be better spent going after players. Here, if you wreck NPCs, you know you're still making progress because you're inhibiting the opposing player's opportunity to respawn or switch equipment.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

jeez some people are just way better at this

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If anything I just wish i could work out what person in an enemy squad was their engineer so I could kill them first :v:

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
This game is p.fun, mowing down waves with emplaced mgs is good stuff and it's nice to see squads flanking and such rather than individual players.

I think you can buy your way to being super effective with planes and armour and such but even with free poo poo you can pimp out squads and do some damage.

It's def more heavily p2w and monetised then warthunder.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I dunno, the only P2W element I really see is early campaign planes with big bombs are going to absolutely decimate points. That being said the base squads that aren't paid all have more troops+equipment slots when they're trained up.

Had a really cool experience that i'm sad my friend wasn't recording. They mentioned an allied plane was getting followed by an enemy one and I said "that's me". I circled with the enemy plane following me while my friends built an AA and then flew in a straight line over the AA so when the enemy lined up to shoot me down, he got torn apart by them.

One of the cooler things i've done in gaming, tbh.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I played this a few weeks ago, and it's definitely a game that gets a lot easier if you put in some money. There's some things like getting all your riflemen in Normandy semi-autos that requires some bucks if you don't want to do a ton of grinding.

I'd be willing to come back to team up with some goon stacks.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, the f2p grind is real, and getting yourself a decent squad or vehicle helps a lot in not getting stuck on it. Especially if you're playing a campaign/faction with a poor initial vehicle selection. Looking at you, US in Normandy.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

theres an initial hump to getting your squads to full strength where youre at a disadvantage but after that i'd say the p2w is fairly minimal.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 21, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, maybe i didn't notice because i played at the very start, but i've never really felt oppressed by anyone with the premium squads. They just changed it so bronze orders are ridiculously easy to get so you have a steady supply of random equipment in. If you pay for the battle pass and get halfway through it, it pays for the next one too.

Like, every rifle in the game is basically a one shot down/kill. Premium squad users get domed just as easily as non-premium. The Gewehr and the Garand seem to not do it at extreme distances, which is cool and gives bolt actions a place, too.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I just wish Warthunder premium extended to this.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Can anyone just give me a quick tutorial on how to fly a plane lol

Also... Fooorrrrwaaarrrrddd

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Can anyone just give me a quick tutorial on how to fly a plane lol

Also... Fooorrrrwaaarrrrddd

What plane or type?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Mouse wheel up and down will increase and decrease the throttle, until i worked this out i kept crashing because it starts at 80% or something, making the planes feel kinda anemic. WSAD also controls it if you need a bit more of a pull in a direction.

Best use of planes is to murder the other plane because everyone sucks at evasion, then dive whatever point the enemy is attacking, dump your bombs/rockets and crash. It's far more efficient than restocking constantly (until you get the big bombers).

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

With my control issues finally worked out (it turns out that even though I told it to use Kb+m and not gamepad, it detected my joystick and was determined to keep taking inputs from it) I finally got some gameplay in. Just the Eastern Front 1941 campaign so far, but even the lovely starter tanks seem like invincible dreadnoughts since no one has AT weapons yet--I had a few grenades tossed at me, which did nothing, and squad after squad figured, "sure, I can run across that thing's line of sight, what's the worst that could happen?"

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Madurai posted:

With my control issues finally worked out (it turns out that even though I told it to use Kb+m and not gamepad, it detected my joystick and was determined to keep taking inputs from it) I finally got some gameplay in. Just the Eastern Front 1941 campaign so far, but even the lovely starter tanks seem like invincible dreadnoughts since no one has AT weapons yet--I had a few grenades tossed at me, which did nothing, and squad after squad figured, "sure, I can run across that thing's line of sight, what's the worst that could happen?"

The T-60 is really good and honestly better than the tanks that come after.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do you pen other tanks as a tank? My Soviet starter tank (dunno the name) tickles the enemy with the not-machine-gun machine gun cannon and nothing goes through. Because of this I lose practically every tank battle. Am I trying to shoot the crew through the small gaps in the armor?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

buglord posted:

How do you pen other tanks as a tank? My Soviet starter tank (dunno the name) tickles the enemy with the not-machine-gun machine gun cannon and nothing goes through. Because of this I lose practically every tank battle. Am I trying to shoot the crew through the small gaps in the armor?

While aiming your reticle will turn green when there is a guaranteed pen and yellow when it is only a chance. Red indicates no chance of pen. The PZ II is pretty easily penned on the turret cheeks and neck. I will try and get a guide together for the other tanks in the game.

Panzeh posted:

The T-60 is really good and honestly better than the tanks that come after.

I agree that the T-60 is very excellent at killing infantry. It's maybe parallel to the T-26 (which is better at killing tanks) but it's completely outclassed by the BT-7 and T-28. Haven't got the T-50 yet but I will report in very soon.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 21, 2021

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

buglord posted:

My surefire techinque so far: wait for the Panzer driver to unsuccessfully cross a trench, then shoot him through the engine deck.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

theres an initial hump to getting your squads to full strength where youre at a disadvantage but after that i'd say the p2w is fairly minimal.

can you give a kind of estimate as to how long it takes to get past this point? this game looks kind of interesting and i've been hungry for a BF-style game for a long while, but if it takes 50 hours to actually start playing the game i'm not sure i'm interested.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Coolguye posted:

can you give a kind of estimate as to how long it takes to get past this point? this game looks kind of interesting and i've been hungry for a BF-style game for a long while, but if it takes 50 hours to actually start playing the game i'm not sure i'm interested.

How good are you at clicking heads?

No seriously if you're passably good at FPS, then you can poo poo on good squads with the basic squad with no equipment. If you can't you'll be able to use tanks like a few hours in.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Coolguye posted:

If you have a premium account it's like 3-5 hours to get your starting squads setup to full manpower. at least that's my experience.

edit: VVVVVVVV this is all true as well. map awareness and good squad placement go a long way.

If you want help levelling join the discord and we can carry some matches for you!

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 21, 2021

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pro-tip. Most pubbies aren't much more competent than the AI and they have absolutely zero map awareness. If you enter a capture point inside a building, you can murder entire squads with your knife.

The knife is a real, genuine potent weapon, only the ppd can be as lethal in a close quarters situation. Use it and abuse it.

Coolguye posted:

game is completely workable literally on your first match. You get the ability to get extra soldiers, more weapons and options as you go along but the rifle is probably on the strongest weapons in the game so you're able to be competitive from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mans posted:

Pro-tip. Most pubbies aren't much more competent than the AI and they have absolutely zero map awareness. If you enter a capture point inside a building, you can murder entire squads with your knife.

The knife is a real, genuine potent weapon, only the ppd can be as lethal in a close quarters situation. Use it and abuse it.

game is completely workable literally on your first match. You get the ability to get extra soldiers, more weapons and options as you go along but the rifle is probably on the strongest weapons in the game so you're able to be competitive from the start.

Once you get the drum ppd you can just kinda move the mouse around and hold down the mouse button and clear houses easily.