Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cage vs Sydal 3 2.78%
Ogogo vs Gunn 2 1.85%
Deeb vs Velvet 74 68.52%
Bucks vs Blonds 21 19.44%
Wild Things vs Acclaimed 8 7.41%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Preshow match better be a Thunder Rosa-Deeb NWA title match. Alternatively, a Deeb-anyone NWA title match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1395212733277249536

Preventing two months of Gum Club matches is another piece of evidence for the "Ogogo is the face" pile

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Cavauro posted:

title faceplate should not be smaller than an actual face, sti;ll

What if you could remove the faceplate and wear it like a cool mask. Might be fun

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Penguin Patrol posted:

why would you all give me such a terrible idea

Twin Peaks: The Return ruled

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

mooseinfants posted:

Everytime I watch one of her matches I wonder if Serena is one of the best in the world

I think she's the best non-flippy wrestler AEW has. Just insanely good at putting together a compelling match without needing any build to get you sucked in

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The number will be lower because of basketball. Some people will fret about it earnestly and other people will fret about it ironically and it will have no impact on the future of the company that just got a bunch of money and another TV show from a TV station

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Shoulda done Chuck Taylor-Rocky in a Custody of Trent? Match

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The pacing of the Pinnacle/Inner Circle thing is definitely weird, but I don't mind them not teasing it out more because IC is already feeling a little long in the tooth. (I think Pinnacle is holding up their end of the feud beautifully; the promo video last week was great. I've also been super ambivalent about FTR from the jump but they've done some good talky bits in the past month or so)

I'm rooting for Pinnacle to win Stadium Stampede just to force Jericho to do something different and free up Sammy/PnP to do other poo poo, which is probably not the desired audience reaction from a high-stakes face-heel showdown

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I guess this probably isn’t a decisive factor in booking, but there are presumably gonna be so many other heel victories at DoN that I have a hard time seeing the Inner Circle losing and disbanding too

I generally assume my instincts of when to wrap up a storyline/get out while the getting’s good is not necessarily aligned with a wrestling company, particularly when it comes to Jericho and a faction that is ostensibly still popular and a ratings draw. Plus they’ve been talking about a summer of violence and whatnot

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Miro is quickly cementing his place on the second-highest tier of character work in wrestling, just below “Eddie Kingston and nobody else”

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

All this retirement talk has me wondering what Big Dustin’s actual retirement match is going to be since he kept going after the Cody match at DoN.

I don’t think it’ll happen but it would be sick if he won the Battle Royale and we get a last-gasp-of-his-career program with Kenny. Much more interested in that than doing a similar, less emotionally charged story with Christian

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Just make Politics Cody AEW’s version of Hollywood Rock. Cutting pretape heel promos from backstage at a rally 15 people are attending

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Weird choice to put the MOTN on first but I'm not complaining

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Pylons posted:

Some good shirts today. Shida's is probably the standout but I loving love this old-school design on the Pinnacle shirt.

https://www.shopaew.com/pinnacle-always-on-top.html

MJF and his anti-vers heel stable

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

heel turn posted:

Coward Tony should've asked to put Dynamite on TBS through the entirety of the NBA Playoffs, because word on the street is that Dynamite is going to be pre-empted for at least the next 2-3 weeks. I know it won't be an issue when they get to the Finals on July 8th, but there's still two more rounds before then.

I don't think the TV station would be particularly excited about the idea of using its own content as counterprogramming for its biggest sports games of the year

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I roll my eyes at kayfabe purists but I see an interview like this and it fills me with glee

As someone with no attachment to pre-AEW Miro I am 1000% in on the dude now

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

smarxist posted:

lol leveraging AEW to make him a senator since he can't run for the world title

Me in 18 months: "I dunno, I just think it undercuts the storytelling of 'I won't run for this seat again if I lose the primary' if you turn around and immediately gerrymander him into another district hand-crafted for him specifically"

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Pylons posted:

Apparently Shaq just said he plans to wrestle again soon.

Big Show joker in the Battle Royale, Shaq emerges from the bowels of Daly's Place where he's been living since the ambulance escape, eliminates Big Show, sets up Giant Fight

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Miro is hotter than Archer is right now, has more charisma, is a bigger name, is nearly a decade younger. I don't see any reason to have him lose to Archer. I think there's a stronger case to have Miro win a surprisingly decisive victory (not saying this is necessarily the best outcome, but having Miro clearly outfight the reigning Monster Psychopath would let you elevate his title reign from 'opportunist who picked off a hobbled Darby' to 'guy everyone on the roster is scared of')

Lance doesn't need a belt to be who he is, the giant menacing guy who devours jobbers and kicks the rear end of top guys even if he might ultimately end up losing to them. They definitely need to feed him meaningful wins to maintain his legitimacy, but you can do that by giving him a break from title programs for a while and keeping him in the upper midcard. Let him beat Jungle Boy so it'll feel like a big deal when Jungle Boy wins a rematch a year or two later; give him a win against PAC if you need to juke the rankings to cool PAC off and set someone else up for a title match.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
WWF has discovered that Tony is not a normal money mark. You don’t get to him by waiting for him to spend too much money on way-past-expiry WWF megastars; you get to him by leaking to the Observer that his company hosting a Young Lion excursion might not be an exclusive partnership

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

yea ok posted:

ya wwe definitely doesnt care lol :dafuq:

The screencap is from a scene in which a titan in his profession sees the legitimately outstanding work of a young peer in the same field, and he has a crisis of confidence as he realizes there are young, hungry people who are just as good as he was, that he's been coasting for years and that age and atrophy may now leave him unable to perform at the same level even when he tries to "turn it on." After receiving a righteous dressing-down from the upstart who calls him out as a scared, toxic figure, Don Draper masks his insecurity — and inferiority? — by leveraging the one thing he has left, his status, lying about the jealousy and uncertainty that has consumed him for some time.

SO yeah it doesn't apply to AEW/WWE in any way

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Le Saboteur posted:

The funniest thing in the replies to that tweet are the Fulham FC fans that are mad at him.

It still boggles my mind that he has that job lol. I cannot imagine how mad I would be if my lovely sports team was being run by a failson wrestling obsessive who probably spends more time booking matches on YouTube shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

yea ok posted:

never seen mad man

It's good that your monitor is turned on. Sorry