Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you’ve been trying to do any home projects lately, you may have noticed that lumber has disappeared unless you’re a rich folk able to spend roughly one million dollars per 2x4. I tell you it sucks! What in THE HELL is going on?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
lmao OP can't get wood

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Bro, I ordered a couch in DECEMBER and they said JUNE and I said OK and yesterday I called and they said SEPTEMBER because of a motherfucking FOAM SHORTAGE and so I said NO WAY JOSE. I have no couch and I am screaming. Right now, all the time, forever.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Guess that explains why he's so proud of this.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I've been considering if its just actually cheaper to buy a portable mill and make my own boards. The price point is not bad, its all the time and labor and maintenance that are holding me off at this point.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Just glue a bunch of cardboard boxes you get from amazon together and cut to size. Bingo bango homemade lumber easy Peary

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

20 Blunts posted:

lmao OP can't get wood

:emptyquote: and goldmine

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Internetjack posted:

I've been considering if its just actually cheaper to buy a portable mill and make my own boards. The price point is not bad, its all the time and labor and maintenance that are holding me off at this point.

This is the proper suburban dad path forward as long as you lose some fingers

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Derpies posted:

This is the proper suburban dad path forward as long as you lose some fingers

As long as they are not my fingers I'd probably be okay with that.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

20 Blunts posted:

lmao OP can't get wood

Lol it’s true

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Fuckin mill-OPEC or whatever is squeezing this pandemic for all every possible cent. Allegedly.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Internetjack posted:

lemme see...a Stihl 661 + an Alaskan Sawmill will run you about $1500? but why stop there? get your own trailer set up, call some local tree services and they'll likely work something out with you to stop by their job sites and take logs, might even pay you a little.

the thing that makes me chuckle about all of this lumber shortage is....just the one small tree company i worked for the past decade filled an entire loving parking lot with pretty much just Ash logs. a good deal of those trees were removed in anticipation of the ash borer infestation, the wood mostly unaffected, and the bugs kinda start their devastation up in the canopy anyway. that being said, urban tree removal often isn't a good setting for those 8 foot sections you really want for milling. but they make cranes for that.

just one of those society-wide solutions that are free-for-all capitalism can't deliver. across the entire midwest, hundreds of thousands of trees removed due to the emerald ash borer, and then all the other trees that get removed on top of that. some get ground into mulch, many get dumped into huge lots out in the country where some random guy thinks he has a plan for it all but it just sits decaying for years. ive seen the tree graveyards, they are vast :rip:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
you don't even need a mill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qz64ELkxdA&t=551s

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

why would anyone even want lumber when bricks exist? sounds like consumers are just wising up to the obvious superiority of masonry. good luck with the termites noobs lmao go chop some wood over it

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I have a giant pile of leftover lumber in my front yard, come bring me enough rear end for a year of lunches and its yours.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

seriously I had tree work done last year and I've got some sold 6-7 ft sections of HARD WOOD logs out back that I have no friggin idea what to do with now and I sure as poo poo can't mill them come get em.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Tom Gorman posted:

why would anyone even want lumber when bricks exist? sounds like consumers are just wising up to the obvious superiority of masonry. good luck with the termites noobs lmao go chop some wood over it

On the west coast you can't use bricks because they will fall down and kill you during the first earthquake. Guess masonry isn't so superior after all huh, tough guy?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

20 Blunts posted:

lmao OP can't get wood

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Tom Gorman posted:

Because Americans love building their houses out of crap like 95% wood and drywall. Not only that but American boomers have fetishized wood working to such a degree that makes the pottery scenes in the movie Ghost look modest.

These two facts combined with years-long lock down and stimulus checks means a bunch of people are renovating their lovely wooden homes and getting into lovely wooden hobbies.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

20 Blunts posted:

lemme see...a Stihl 661 + an Alaskan Sawmill will run you about $1500?

Nah, thinking of a tow-behind. Can probably get a used one for $10k. Got a couple projects immediately that can use the lumber, and then long term of just have a wood supply. I do a moderate amount of woodworking and a bit of carpentry. Just having to take care of another piece of equipment is the off-putting thing at this point. I do have unlimited access to over 55+ 200 acres of timbered forest for supply though.

Prices are high on lumber, its just a question of how much effort I want to put into it. Typing this out I suddenly realize that "hey, that might not be a bad career for a while".

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Lumber may not be real, but the blue ox Babe's giant testicles are very real.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

my dog died im sad posted:

the blue ox Babe's giant testicles are very real.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Big Beef City posted:

seriously I had tree work done last year and I've got some sold 6-7 ft sections of HARD WOOD logs out back that I have no friggin idea what to do with now and I sure as poo poo can't mill them come get em.

We had two three foot diameter oaks taken down two years ago and still have a massive pile of wood out back. And this is after having several people come by and take what they could load into a truck.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Seriously how do I convince my wife that the $4,000 we bought in lumber for our home renovation and didn't use is better to sell that erecting a semi-legal "She-Shed". Any goons here have good communication advice for the :females:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ask her how she plans to make a PS5 out of lumber for you when you're done making the shed.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Derpies posted:

Seriously how do I convince my wife that the $4,000 we bought in lumber for our home renovation and didn't use is better to sell that erecting a semi-legal "She-Shed". Any goons here have good communication advice for the :females:

Sell the lumber and get her one of these little shed houses

I’m thinking about getting a TugShed of my own

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's complex OP

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

20 Blunts posted:

lmao OP can't get wood

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

20 Blunts posted:

lmao OP can't get wood

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

20 Blunts posted:

lmao OP can't get wood

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Someone has the wood it just happens to be home developers building McMansions at a lightning pace. I live in one of the fastest growing counties in the US, and dense wooded areas will be cleared and then two months later there's a new 400 home subdivision.

Passing through the developments is so depressing. Every house looks almost exactly the same, are the same colors, and none of them have any trees taller than maybe ten feet. I don't know how living like that would be in any way desirable. I'm very thankful that I found a place to rent in a neighborhood that was built into the landscape and not on top of it.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Chief McHeath posted:

Someone has the wood it just happens to be home developers building McMansions at a lightning pace. I live in one of the fastest growing counties in the US, and dense wooded areas will be cleared and then two months later there's a new 400 home subdivision.

Passing through the developments is so depressing. Every house looks almost exactly the same, are the same colors, and none of them have any trees taller than maybe ten feet. I don't know how living like that would be in any way desirable. I'm very thankful that I found a place to rent in a neighborhood that was built into the landscape and not on top of it.

this really does suck rear end.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

In the future, wars will be fought over the last remaining old growth forests.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Derpies posted:

this really does suck rear end.

Sounds like those developments on the north end of Lehi. And the ones on the old gross Geneva site in Vineyard.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Dear Watson posted:

Just glue a bunch of cardboard boxes you get from amazon together and cut to size. Bingo bango homemade lumber easy Peary

:hmmyes:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

pro starcraft loser posted:

Guess that explains why he's so proud of this.

Child labor is mostly illegal. You should only hire adults when you're in the home depot parking lot.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

kntfkr posted:

Bro, I ordered a couch in DECEMBER and they said JUNE and I said OK and yesterday I called and they said SEPTEMBER because of a motherfucking FOAM SHORTAGE and so I said NO WAY JOSE. I have no couch and I am screaming. Right now, all the time, forever.

a loving foam shortage?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

kntfkr posted:

Do you really need the couch? Because it sounds to me like a case of... FOAMO :c00l:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Derpies posted:

i dunno man, it's always hard to tell with these he said she-shed situations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Quotey posted:

a loving foam shortage?

can't get wood you can't make foam :grin: