Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

having a prewritten op as a dev is cheating, mods??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

False, the way you play vicky 2 is NF to bueaucrats->clergymen->soldiers->craftsmen :colbert:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

From what I was reading it sounded like migration was way less deterministic, and was more a result of relative standards of living and freedoms, with crises like the irish potato famine happening as an organic result of gameplay

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Will you be able to start diplomatic warfare over reforms in other countries (i.e. force the US to end slavery in 1840 as UK)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

ilitarist posted:

Victoria 2 was good about it cause it had very little of country-specific stuff. Usually minor events or decisions that give some prestige. Really American Civil War is the only big "scripted" event, even German unification was mostly freeform. Instead you get flavourful events based on your situation. Like national minorities being suppressed (in case of USA early versions had a hilarious event about allowing signs in Dixie language) or colonies being angry. There weren't many of those but they were well written and felt right. I'd prefer those to EU4 approach of France being specifically more likely to get a revolution in 18th century.

This is still in (and universal to all countries as a generic event), and is also lowkey the reason im really glad that language is getting modled for pops

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

ilitarist posted:

Vicky 3 probably ends around 1936. 9 years before the first nuclear weapon use. Depending on how the things go it's not outlandish to imagine people having nukes a decade earlier.

Just pointing this out.

A greatly delayed ww1 leading to nuclear bombs to assist an attempted breakthrough on the western front :getin:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

A date with Queen Vicky and a pointy boi

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

The obvious takeaway was that Versaillis was too lenient, i'm gonna shatter germany

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Japan is very fun and chill, it's full sandbox mode

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Are you hosed if you get sphered? All of my money as Russia came from tariffs. How do you not get sphered?

Japan is hard to sphere because they have high pop. They also have a bunch of decent to good rgos that should print enough money to float you until you civilize and break into GP status. But no, not really being sphered for a lil as Japan is fine

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Depends on what country you are, any decent GP at start should be able to take them (at least to a limited degree) so that it's more obnoxious to fight them than life threatening

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Oh hey actual good question for Wiz: Will the peru-bolivia confederation be modled at game start?

Also first game as substate Tibet, you already start pretty tall so it can't be hard to play it

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 25, 2021

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

If you do a Haití Game, use the greater flavor mod. They have a way better starting position and can reclaim french América and eventually expel the anglos from the new world

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Multi shogun Japan rules bc u can just day 1 puppet them and shatter the shogunate system, preventing a united Japan for the rest of the game

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Jazerus posted:

the factories are supposed to be "unprofitable". they are being run for the benefit of the people not the state, to produce goods for internal consumption. feeding internal consumption and getting industrial points to become/stay a GP are by far the most important role factories play throughout most of the campaign for most tags in V2; you might make more in tax revenue from a late-game LF economy, but it's not flatly superior because the capitalists are very stupid and producing for profit is very volatile so factories close all the time and have to be reopened by pouring money in, which also takes them back to level 1, wasting even more money, and your craftsmen will be constantly facing cycles of unemployment that waste the potential of their labor. admittedly i haven't played as a top-5 great power like the UK or Prussia in years so maybe the conditions are there for a smoothly running LF economy in those tags, but that's a rare exception founded more on the fruits of imperialism than anything superior about LF itself

yeah basically the only way L-F works for you is if you already industrialize a solid enough base that your factories become a large enough portion of the production of any given good that they're too big (and efficient) to fail, and that their collapse would herald the end times of the global economy

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Actually thinking about it you didn’t meaningfully interact with your pops in Vicky 2 no matter your government which is weird.

Actually I think you'll find that mobilizing my country and killing off a million pops over a useless slice of land counts as an interaction

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

the whole point was getting 0.1% Capitalists 2% Clergy 5% Soldiers 0.2% Officers 1% Beauracrats

not sure what game you guys were playing

4% clergy and .7% capitalist or bust :colbert:
(Also 4% clerks for rp)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

just conquer bengal and/or use console to fix poo poo ez

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

AnoHito posted:

Gonna make a "Ford's Nightmare" mod, which will do to trade goods what Voltaire's Nightmare did to the HRE.

if each nations railroad don't have different gauges with varying small stat changes requiring special tooling factories, I will lose my ability to feel human

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

yellow prussia or riot

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

Did Prussia get inherent army buffs? I know they got a few extra technologies at start and that really good research focus but I have no idea if there's some background calculation where 'if = Prussian then +5 Attack' or whatever. I hope not cause that's lame.

They shouldn't be yellow though.

outside of the good tech school and getting some good generals, I don't think so

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

World economy crashing because a majority of the worlds cotton fields are active warzones causing revolution in the UK

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Gonna occupy the entire world so we can finally abolish Jobs once and for all

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

War is often harder on the aggressor than the aggressed

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Having played dozens of MP games at this point I can pretty confidently say that scenario is rare, and requires (as someone upthread said) a game of five players where the two weakest are on Prussia/Italy. Also you underestimate how much a cascade of minor conflicts can end up distracting folks long enough for the have-nots to slip through the cracks

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

The classic reasoning is to make frontlines slowly emerge from a more eu4 stack system as you research miltechs and develop your officer staff/battle plans, which I hope they pull something similar

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Occupying those sort of states is crippiling to a war economy and house rules exist in v2 games too?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

ilitarist posted:

This is beyond the point. But I think I wasn't clear enough. Cortez was one of the lucky adventurers who survived and remembered. Hundreds of similar guys had limited success or have failed throughout history. Before modern states, a king could have afforded similar behaviour because their death and loss of their troops rarely meant an existential threat to most of the elites and communities but rather a change of management. In EU4 we talk about almost modern states. You never play as Cortez, you play as Spain. Historical Spain sent dudes to conquer New World but never conquered Portugal which was its historical rival for a long time. For Spanish elites gambles in the New World were safe: you won't lose more than you invest. Directly attacking Portugal on the continent might have meant the end of Spain. They could have successfully do that and become a hegemony but the risk was to high.

this is Reino Unido erasure :colbert:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

You have the basics down, you just need to keep in mind value chains (coal making glass making liquor) in securing resources. Getting a source of tea, for example, isn't necessarily awful or anything but it's just a raw commodity that goes straight from the farmers to the consumers, and as such wont help you build up an industrial base the same way securing that west african coal would. Also specifically as Sweden/Scandinavia you'll always be struggling to get enough pops to actually fill the factories to where they have enough workers to compete on the global market against other industrial powers that have similar literacy/tech (UK, France, Germany, etc...) but far more pops to actually staff them.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

deltah posted:

The population thing is something I was wondering about. As far as I can tell, I can't load a save without first resigning. The interesting thing about resigning is realizing my population was like 1.5M (you're right, I'm Scandinavia not Sweden) while the people who had way higher industrial scores had 10's of millions of pops. That made me wonder if I was rushing industrialization by trying to chase scores of countries playing very different games from me.

The other thing about getting the coal in africa is realizing my stockholm coal mine was producing say 4 coal while the african mine was producing 15 or 20 or something. The little calculation showed a province size multiplier of 4 on the african mine while 1 on stockholm. Is there a way to tell what that RGO multiplier is before you make the call to go to war / colonize?

My recommendation as a scandi player is to try and conquer other civilized states so that you can create internal migration from somewhere like haiti to stockholm to boost your numbers. As for the RGO size, unfortunately there really isnt a good way to tell other than experience or console bullshit. It's still worth it to industrialze to a reasonable degree as scandi tho, because you won't become stronger by being an RGO exporter for other nations to industrialze off

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Or so we hope, at least

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

swap basic food and intoxicants and you'd have my monthly budget

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

deltah posted:

Victoria 2 noob question. I'm playing Belgium to learn more about factories. Belgium starts with iron and coal and this seems useful, but what I'm running into is that iron and coal based products seem to sell for poo poo. For instance steel has been in low demand from the start to now 1868. I also made a machine parts factory thinking this would be better ... but it isn't. Instead the demand fluctuates and I have to subsidize the factory to keep it afloat. This seems true for most of the low volume products: artillery, cement, small arms, canned food, etc.

Instead the factories that seem to work are glass, liquor, furniture, clothes, wine, etc ... things pops use. Glass is nice because it uses coal so I feel like I'm using my coal ... but all my iron is being exported raw. As an aside a big great power war started and glass demand dropped by half and now I have 70k unemployed craftsman who used to make glass, which is kind of hilarious.

I guess I don't have a question other than: am I missing anything? Also, any advice on what to do to actively encourage industrialization? For the most part I just set national focus on craftsman / clerks, occasionally build factories that don't work, and fall back to upgrading the ones that do. My goal was to try and avoid colonization / war in this play through and just become a great power via factories but it hasn't worked out. I've briefly been #8 but not long enough to stick (currently #10).

Have you tried mastermining some large conflicts to spike demand in your arms?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

You should conquer the rhineland to corner the coal market and gain a monopoly over core industrial goods

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

The only thing that I could think of fitting that mold is some wildly successful russian Empire pushing panslavism to it's maximum extent

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Renaming my successful Sokoto state that kicked the Europeans out of Africa “CAPTAIN AMERICA 2 (THE FALCON)” to show how much I respect Black people.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Can't wait to bully other people in MP games for making dumb decisions, which causes them to enter in a spiral of capitulation between foreign interests and local interest groups until their country collapses and I can eat the remains

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Tokyo to Casablanca

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Is there a strategy in Vicky2 to splitting up two great power alliances. As japan I want to Ally NGF or britain but theyre allied to each other and will never accept my alliance offer.

Spam navy and beat them both to poo poo in a great war so one falls to rebels, easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Just make sure to let them open as many soup clinics as possible. Dunno why fascists are putting aphrodesiacs in them, but it works