Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not really unless you consider Northern Virginia to be the entire war, and besides having them be useless pushovers is really boring gameplay-wise.

I'm baffled that people do the gamey yankee soldier play in a game like Vicky. It's not like you're going for an EU cheevo. Similarly I don't understand people who powergame in CK.

If I have the option to, without great difficulty, avoid massive losses with minimum inconvenience I will take that option. This lets me engage with other challenges the game presents, such as conquering Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

So, does that preclude the old national focus system to encourage the development of certain pop types, like encouraging clergymen up to 4%?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah I'm not sure about subject military power being good for your prestige. Their military victories, sure, but the size of their military sounds like the opposite of prestige enhancing to me, should it surpass or even equal that of the overlord. Like, I see it as the overlords thinking of themselves as lovely parents and the subjects as kids, they're proud that they beat another kid (or even a parent) in a fight, but if the kid's getting as big as the parent then that becomes an avenue of mockery. Same with their GDP - them not being a failure is good, but them being more successful than yours is kinda embarassing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zeron posted:

Well I imagine the idea is that holding a country more powerful than yours in your grip is more awe inspiring than holding a OPM with no army. The consequences of a subject having a better military/economy than yours is that they're likely to beat you up/be too troublesome to hold onto and stop being your subject. If you can hold on to them in spite of that, well you deserve the acclaim. It doesn't matter if India has a bigger military/economy than the UK if they aren't stopping either from being used primarily to the benefit of the UK.

I suppose that makes sense, especially with the India example, though I wager that the only reason that didn’t cause mockery is racism.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I want to unlock HoI 4 style planning.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

Literally everyone with any credibility in economics believes that the Laffer curve is a real thing.

Pretty much. Its main issue is being connected to Laffer, Rumsfeld and Cheney. It's a pretty logical statement of "hey, there is an optimal tax rate (in terms of revenue) to set where any higher will bring losses", all argument regarding it among anyone with knowledge of economics is in regards to the bounds and applicability to different fields. It's most relevant with stuff like tariffs, though income tax wise it's a far thornier area. While it's most commonly used to support decreasing tax burdens on the wealthy and corporations, it can also be used for the opposite reason.

The idea of the Laffer Curve specifically doesn't even include the costs incurred in effective taxation, nor the chance or degree of evasion. Taken alone, it's literally just tax rate vs income over a given time period.

Just gotta keep in mind that it's nothing more than a concept which may be modelled, and certain models support different viewpoints not necessarily supported by any rigorous study.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dead gay comedy forums posted:

but that's exactly the point

nobody argues against the concept of taxation efficiency, which is what the laffer curve insinuates itself to be about, but because mainstream economics is blind to the rhetoric and discourse itself creates or thinks it does not exist, the critical and most consequential point of the laffer curve is thoroughly missed: that it is an ideological argument veiled through a technicality to cut taxes on the wealthier strata of society, with any of the supposed benefits not happening at all, which is why it is bullshit

Anyone can disingenuously use anything. Every serious source I’ve seen that actually engages with the Laffer Curve identifies that many countries fall short by a considerable degree. This is what they do - take anything that is half right in a very particular narrow window, distort it and unduly widen its application. The Laffer Curve itself is not bullshit.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, a game where you have eternal fog of war like that isn't really possible unless that's like the whole point of the game. Some stuff like War in the Pacific gives you uncertain information about your enemies via intel reports, and uncertain damage reporting, but when it comes to your own side it's perfectly transparent.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

The Triple Alliance and Ottoman-German alliance (the one that brought them both in against Russia) are literally taught as the classic example of the secret alliance system but go off

It was the opposite of secret. It was an over engineered intricate web of Bismarckian diplomacy that eventually everyone pushed a little too far and it all collapsed in on itself. Alliances of the time were primarily a form of deterrence - that’s less useful when it’s secret.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The only thing that worries me is just how hands on it'll be. I liked being able to just throw money at a bunch of projects that get auto created instead of going through all of my provinces and like, thinking.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Also optimisation is mostly an issue when something is demonstrably better than something else, rather than being a theoretical possibility. Something more like issues CK2 has faced, like "it is a good strategy to take everybody's land and give it to a bunch of autogenerated priests to ensure stability". That's somewhat tedious, but very easy to do. Vicky 1 and 2 suffered a lot from that and it's been discussed many times. Pop splitting, manual stockpiling of goods because the AI doesn't know how to, and all sorts of other issues.

EU4 and other Paradox games also suffer from it, but to a far lesser extent than is being presented. The insane powergaming where it's possible for an OPM to do a world conquest requires systemic mastery and optimisation fifteen levels deeper than most of us even think about, and that's kinda fair play. But you have so many things where you click a building, see every provincial bonus it'll give, and you're just looking for the biggest bonus either on the map or on some table, or you're mousing over icons to see which province will get +0.01 more tax if you develop it. Sincerely, gently caress that, and considering how each building is a fairly sizable investment, it makes players want to optimise these marginal gains even more.

That's the kind of optimisation I'm worried about Vicky 3 suffering from more than anything, and it's likely going to be far more opaque due to how many more moving parts there will be, compared to EU4 and others.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Panzeh posted:

It's like that one developer that's trying to make a ww2 tactical game where the entire game is dialogue trees. People just hear about it and go gaga over it because they think "finally, a ww2 tactical game i can play, one in which theres really not much tactical maneuvering at all"

It's almost like different ideas are good, and different explorations of familiar scenarios are inherently more interesting

I'll take a million Urban Empires over another SimCity clone

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, and honestly a lot of stuff in this vein gets made, it's just not very good. See: Radio Commander. You toy around with it, and then the novelty wears off and you realize it's an awful strategy game. There are tons of indie games that try to do this because it's much easier to obfuscate than make systems and have them engagable.

Yeah, and I'd rather have Radio Commander and Radio General then yet another hex and counter wargame. It's largely a moot point with Vicky because this is a very different beast, but Imperator was just another EU4 (well, an EU:Rome) and nobody liked that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

yikes! posted:

It's a bit unsettling to me how much paradox players care about prussia's map color

sometimes Prussia is garishly ugly, sometimes it’s a really nice shade of yellow

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Paradox combat is boring but satisfying. I'm curious for this.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

This doesn't seem that different from what I've always heard, that the front trenches could be overran but the reserves were always too deep to penetrate. That sounds like the defense is favored, even tempered with "whoever is shooting artillery is doing the killing".

It's mostly explaining the idea of defence in depth. The popular conception of the trenches is that they couldn't be taken because No Mans Land and machine guns, whereas the reality is "they can be taken, but not for long, and you're not going much farther".

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

But at the end the day you can't take the trench lol, doesn't really change anything about the myth of the Western Front

It kinda does, it pretty dramatically alters the actual nature of the fight and why it never went anywhere. It at least smashes the conception of the trench as an impregnable fortress.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It makes the generals not seem like absolute tossers for ever suggesting an offensive

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ham posted:

It all sounds ambitious but it feels like it's not just taking away the tactical decision-making layer, but also the strategic one. With so much of it abstracted and automated, it sounds like war outcomes will be decided from the start of the diplomatic play.

Hasn’t it always, outside of exploiting the AI? It’s always been just a numbers game and a bit of counter shuffling.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

as always the truth about paradox combat comes out, it's not fun to play or engage with people just have fun when they win because winning is fun.

people have spent hundreds of hours working out every little dumb AI exploit to make the serotonin in their brain go off and have managed to convince themselves that the good part of the game is where I win and look cool.

in reality moving meta stacks around into the perfect spot at speed 1 while the AI walks back and forward in place is the worst part of every paradox game.

This is why I said before, Paradox wars aren't fun, but they're satisfying. When your doomstack hits the enemy armies and their number goes down faster than yours, then it goes really small as they run away? That's satisfying as gently caress. When you stackwipe something? Extremely satisfying! But not fun. It's gaming bubblewrap, but the bubblewrap might have splinters inside it if you're not paying attention and leave your carpet siege on speed 5, accidentally leave one province unoccupied because of rebels, then the enemy suddenly has a whole army of mercenaries and kills your guys.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Eiba posted:

That's okay. To balance things out I will retroactively be real mad about all the years I've been pointlessly moving toy soldiers around a map.

Yes, I know how to check arrival dates and cut off the AI when they commit and all that stuff that never had anything to do with actual warfare, and I resent that I was made to learn all of that when I could have just... not.

And god help you if you played one of the games before movement locking was a thing and you had to wait until the very day they arrived in a province they couldn’t get out of before you got in there.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

yeah that’s the coolest poo poo

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

United State of America

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nick Soapdish posted:

No one would go for such a basic rear end name

cmon tell me literally removing a single letter after a revolution isn't hilarious conceptually

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I’d rather see imperfect information in CK3, and have reports be based on the characters involved. It’s suitable there, but not so much for Vicky.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I look forward to the mod that has things seeming extremely Lovecraftian, and then you send in an explorer who isn't racist and discover that the first guy was just a dumb racist

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I thought they did private sector as a pool you can direct?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Arrath posted:

But why would the price in Texas drop below the price in America, wouldnt that price (plus transportation inefficiencies) be an effective floor for the price after importation? Or is that market price difference coming out of the state's coffers as part of the import deal.

I think the read there is, due to Texas buying up the sulfur via the import deal, it decreases the domestic price (added supply, lower price to clear) and increases the foreign (American) price (reduced supply, higher price to maintain). Basically, it becomes cheaper in Texas due to the contract being in place and slightly more expensive for America, though presumably America benefits in some way (lump sum payment, upkeep, supply of an alternative good, or simply it's the long game of increasing the size of industries of which sulfur is a component).

It's a little unclear exactly what it means at present, but this is my best guess.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Friend Commuter posted:

So, the Texan government's buying sulphur and then dumping it on the market at a loss so they can get more ammo made?

That's the part I'm not sure about. There's a lot of ways they could do it, it could be that they're guaranteeing a certain quantity ordered, which isn't necessarily buying at a loss but could cause a loss if it goes unused. Another way to think about it is as a state subsidy to the import, which reduces the business cost of the sulphur, increasing the quantity demanded by things such as ammunition factories.

If the means of economic trading are moddable, if import contracts could be conducted in a huge variety of ways, Vicky 3 could truly be the best economic sandbox.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wanting fan mods to fix an alpha is pretty insane

It's kinda fuckin wild that there already are fan mods and patches to fix the leak.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

There's a pretty large multiplayer game currently ongoing in one of the discords and people sound like they're having an absolute loving blast. People are smoothly hotjoining as well, even through the crashes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I haven’t dug into the subreddits too much but mostly people seem pretty positive?

Is there a lot of whining in discords?

There's one or two weirdos grumbling but anyone actually playing seems to be having a loving great time. It's a bit more micro intensive than other Paradox games when managing your country, but that's the whole point of Vicky isn't it? Plus, this has to be the best tutorial in Paradox history by a country mile.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zkoto posted:

The UI is an absolute work of art. It is really easy to navigate around once you have a basic idea of what the different sections do.

Paradox should just drop the next build on Steam as early access, all these people playing the leak version will happily pay for it anyway (I know I would).

Yeah, you’ve got incredibly minor issues of course, plus not being used to the new UI, but even at this stage it’s so loving usable in a way Vicky 2 just never was at a glance.

Did a war, invaded Denmark with Norwegian help as Sweden. Front and centre at all times was the cost of the war, financial and human. I did that during the first tutorial, not the war tutorial, so there are still things I’m not clear on but gently caress it was so simple and easy and all I had to care about was the relative strength of forces, plus the quality of my generals. I think my own armies were getting hosed because they lost troops, didn’t get reinforced, and so each general kept fighting with depleted stacks, so it seems you have to rotate generals rather than just tell them to charge forever?

DaysBefore posted:

Haven't tried the leak but I saw some videos and it looks like trade is much more active now. If you have enough convoys you can actively import industrial goods.

It can be really helpful to jumpstart things like your clothing industry by importing dyes. I decided to snipe the resource instead of trade for it and thankfully the Prussians were too busy with a revolution to help their Danish friends.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Played an America game today, kinda sped through it. Not-Canada sniped the West Coast, which annoyed me, and the Mexicans kept on interfering with my Manifest Destinying, plus literally everybody kept taking my food which created very wealthy but very hungry people. Oh, yeah, and dodged a civil war by becoming very nationalist to counterbalance the racism. No crashes! But I think I prefer countries with smaller numbers of states, it's easier to keep track of what you have and what you need. Terrified of even opening up Britain.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It'll definitely do them better than HoI 4 does that's for sure. I really cannot wait to see what modders do with this game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

You can model COIN through an attrition modifier and adding a stance for your armies whereby they defend occupied territory. The abstractions will be super helpful for modders. Haven’t seen anything like that yet, but I did notice that I took disproportionately large losses when fighting the Native Americans when conquering the USA.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

fuf posted:

I'm blown away by how finished the leaked build feels (emphasis on feels because I didn't actually try and play properly).

Really good sign that it's this far along and we don't even have a release date yet. Hopefully that means there is a lot of time for polishing.

Yeah, though it's clear where the gaps are, plus import/export feels needlessly micro intensive and too much of a tunnel vision optimisation game. It still feels like a really loving solid alpha/beta build, but it's clearly built on solid foundations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hellioning posted:

CK3 has quite possibly the least amount of focus on numbers than any other paradox game TBH.

it’s also the game where stacking numbers is ridiculously powerful for men at arms

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Not unless they’re economic thrillers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Marius isn’t a great example as at that point it was gonna be him or Sulla and Sulla was in many ways more brutal than Marius

tbf half of sulla's brutality was part of his eternal struggle to one up marius