Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Monarch mana replaced with country capacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It seems like you could reasonably start the game in 1825, which is about when the independence wars in Spanish America wound down. Did something special happen in 1836 for the sake of the game?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tuna-Fish posted:

Belgian revolt?

That was 1830, wasn't it? I remember in Vicky the Netherlands could choose not to sign the Treaty of London, but even if you win the war it isn't really worth it to keep Belgium.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vickynomics slides (10 short points about the in-game economy)
https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/public/710077/Victoria%203%20-%20Vickynomics.pdf

e: posted above

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Thank God about that last bit, I can’t imagine why anyone would want to replicate the experience of hunting down POP stacks in V1 to split all those over 40k population. Pure busywork misery.

V1 also made you promote every pop manually :byodood:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Do we know how big markets can get? Would the British Empire all be one market?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Will admit to being pretty pumped for the release of Victoria 3, which is at least a year away. Loving the coverage of the not-implemented systems though

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

One of the Vicky 1 mods (I think) had a mechanic where if you consistently made decisions favoring the slaveholders, New England would secede without a war. Maybe they could develop something like that into a more interesting alternate conflict.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm with Edgelord, there should be some degree of "capitalists/local communes/local government" doing stuff on its own. It seems to me that the new system as described for V3 removes the jagged edges that made that system screw you over more. If there's no slots than it doesnt matter if capitalists build the wrong thing, if you want to use the common fund to build some things specifically you can; but they can also do stuff on their own? That seems reasonable to me.

Especially upgrades; if there's demand for it but the capacity isnt there, absolutely should let them handle clicking the "Expand" button!

By all means the game should have business cycles, speculative bubbles, and a finance sector outside of player control. But in Vicky 2, what we got was capitalists builds a worthless factroy, again and again. If I'm not mistaken, that takes up a factory slot for the state which could be really frustrating.

e: I replied to an old post, this is covered already

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Not sure what this means but I'm imagining a post game highlight reel with the counties personified as anime high school students.

I think there was something similar if you played to the end of the game, which was 1921 before you added the Revolutions expansion.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1415310115842842629

It looks like more advanced production methods lead to more demand for various commodities, which seems like it'll encourage economic integration. Hope supply isn't all or nothing like in Vicky II though, where factories go offline entirely due to world market shenanigans.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3dJb4TZNQE

Seems to have some screenshots (mockups) we haven't seen yet along with new details.

All the images capped here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-monthly-update-1-july.1483005/

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 15, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

It's interesting what they're saying here because if I understand it properly, the V3 economy is more similar to a modern-day economy than it is to the 19th century!

This is a very welcome change, though I'm going to miss placing an order on 1/1/1836 for 1000 units of artillery.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dev Diary #11 - Employment and Qualifications
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-11-employment-and-qualifications.1487723/

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Do you still have to prime the world arms industry by placing a buy order for 1000 small arms in 1836? God, even thinking about Vicky 2 is frustrating

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dev Diary 14: Political Movements

https://www.victoria3game.com/en/news/dev-diary-14-political-movements

pdox forums down at the moment

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

TwoQuestions posted:

I can't remember if I asked this already, sorry if I did, but will Victoria 3 have a National Focus/Mission Tree system, or has that been revealed yet? Some incredible things were done with HOI4's National Focus system, and I can't wait to bring those old History Channel shows about Rockefeller and Jay Gould into the game.

The only reason I'm concerned is because CK3 doesn't really have such a tree, just a bunch of suggestions for you. They really do help with the "wtf am I supposed to do now" feeling, but they're nothing like the structured events of HOI4 and EU4.

It hasn't been revealed yet but I don't see how they could leave out some kind of national focus or mission system. The HOI4 implementation is too short term and on rails to work for Victoria without some adaptation, but it's great for giving flavor and direction to countries -- at least those that have interesting focus trees.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Unfortunately, the best Vicky III mod was already made for HoI2

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

fyi the upcoming HOI4 expansion is the trains one

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I do like the way Paradox games have sometimes tried to express unreliable information: "We know they have 2 carriers, and we guess they have 4 battleships..." But it's hard to see how this could work for all kinds of intel reports.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Fray posted:

Ed: Also, multi-sided revolutions are not in right now, but maybe later. The problem is that Revolutions use the Diplomatic Plays system, and Diplo Plays fundamentally involve two sides.

HOI4: La Resistance has the Spanish Civil War depicted as a 4-way melee where each side is at war with the other 3. It's a cool idea but it doesn't really work well in practice, not least because it's very difficult to balance and it keeps getting broken with patches.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean realistically those two states would never coexist.

It was always one or another.

Vicky games have had explicit references to Harry Turtledove's alternative history series where the Confederates win the war quickly, gaining international recognition and independence in 1862. The USA and CSA are at each other's throats for the all the novels, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqYBXrW_5gA

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 7, 2022

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

When it comes to historical conflicts like the War of the Triple Alliance (Paraguay vs. everyone) or what-ifs like the Fashoda Incident (French vs. British showdown in Sudan) I am sure we're not getting a lot of specific custom content, so I really hope the generic war system is nice and fleshed out.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

My big complaint with the V2 civil war is that the Union effortlessly crushes it because you don't get saddled with incompetent leadership in the east for the first two or three years

I seem to recall that if you didn't recruit any Dixie divisions the war would be over in a month. Even if you play it sort of historically the South will never last 4 years.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This cultural map looks good, though I hope that this represents the majority culture for pops in each province rather than the only culture.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

“He also served as Governor of Madras from 1875 to 1880. As Governor, he handled the relief measures for the victims of the Great Famine of 1876-78.”

That does not bode well

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This was stupid back when it was in V2

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

So before I buy this, my gaming pc is still in storage (moved in with gf and don‘t have a space for it yet), so I have to play my map games on a 2016 Mac Book Pro with an i7 chip.
Windows runs native on it (boot camp) so I don‘t have to use the usually lower performance MacOS port.

Anyone running this on similar specs?

I've seen a couple reports that the Mac port is pretty slow

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This game is practically made of paper cuts at this point. So many annoying small issues that I can't even pay attention to the bigger problems. Guess I'll be back for 1.01

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roN3I3Je8VY

1836: Andrew Jackson kicks the Democrats out of power and brings in the Whigs
1837: USA bans slavery. No civil war

I think the economy side of things is fine and can be polished up, but the political mechanics are completely unfinished. I hadn't made the mistake of pre-ordering a Paradox game since Stellaris, which is giving me a pretty lousy record on buying good games.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Green Wing posted:

I'm also in the "wow this actually sucks" camp now. I wish all countries didn't feel the same. This game feels like one of those system toys like Democracy where it's like "wow what a cool system" but once the novelty wears off, you realise you wasted your money. I wanted to like it - I even liked the abstracted wars - but I'm not getting that experience of feeling like I'm playing a country at all.

Really rather soured on it, and not because of the bugs.

It isn't as bad as Stellaris was at launch, but I don't see it becoming a legitimately compelling game without quite a lot more time and energy put into development. All I do is click economy buttons and it's the same for every country.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Why are they mad about "political dysfunction"?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I played a full campaign with France with 1.2, my first long game of V3. 1.2 is a substantial improvement, but still not a very good game.

The political system is the best part of the game. As seen in this thread, it creates weird unexpected circumstances though it can usually be pushed in the right direction. In my game I passed Secret Police and then there was a furious rebel movement to restore Universal Suffrage. But when I tried to restore it a bunch of other factions tried to start a revolution to restore Secret Police. Both of these revolutions would have taken 75% of my states for obscure reasons, so I had to just let one of them launch a revolution and switch sides. I switched to the French Liberal Revolt, consisting of the communists and fascists, and quickly overran the rump state. I was hoping this would let me switch to a communist government and economy but this was in 1935 so a little too late for that. A lot of this makes no sense but it was pretty entertaining so I really can't complain.

The economy seems to work as advertised, if a little blandly. As far as I can tell you win by making industrial goods cheap, though this can be hard in the late game because of limitations on iron, coal, and especially wood. I really like the automatic investment for a big country and I would never have made it through the campaign without going Laissez Faire and letting the capitalists build whatever they want. But it seems like setting my buildings to Publicly Traded had no downsides. Shouldn't there be firms competing with each other, business cycles, and the like? I know Vicky 2 had a totally inscrutable economy but this is a big swing in the other direction.

But the really bad parts are warfare and diplomacy. You know the complaints I have here, but in particular the return to EU3-style badboy (infamy) is completely stupid. Around 1900 I switched to total war, invaded all my neighbors, and got my infamy to 1000. The only response was UK declaring to cut me down to size and I beat them with simultaneous naval invasions. Warfare and diplomacy are both so unsatisfying that I can't see playing this more until they get a full resdesign.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Eiba posted:

While there are definitely issues with warfare and diplomacy, I don't know that this is one. If you start as the #2 power in the world and build up for 64 years well, what do you expect besides a cakewalk when you decide to invade the world? Not really sure what you wanted the game to do at that point. Play on military easy mode and the military game is going to be easy.

As you noted the actual draw of playing a country like France is the internal developments, which remain compelling regardless of how big you are compared to the rest of the world.

If you were playing someone who had a harder time reaching the top, like the Ottomans or Mexico or something, then you'd find that "cut down to size" wars against the UK, and the half dozen other countries who will jump on against you if they're not utterly terrified of you, can be actual challenges. You can probably still trivialize most wars with absolute naval supremacy, but that's kind of your reward for building up an economy that can support the world's largest navy.

I mean a player going ham in late game isn't the main thing the game should be designed around but I expect if I am eating Europe country by country* it would make sense for other countries to try to stop me together instead of fighting individually while the others stand around, like a bad martial arts movie. If the developers simply copied coalitions from EU4 it would be considerably better than infamy as currently implemented.

*I was able to integrate European Heritage states in 5 years and multiculturalism seems to turn off any kind of nationalism

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Do your games ever have big, multi-year wars like the ACW and WWI? It always seems like one side gives up quickly due to the war exhaustion mechanic.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Can Qing win the Opium Wars in 1.2? UK doesn't take long to demand a treaty port and I wasn't able to get any good allies before that. China has a lot of barracks but no arms industry and the only hope of winning the war seems to be equipping the army with line infantry and cannon.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This glitch has happened with my private construction queue a few times. This time it was after switching to Cooperative Ownership. There are 7 pages of funded constructions but almost all of them can't be built. If I mouse over the X it says something about rye farms.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Pakled posted:

Conquering oil, rubber, and opium-producing states when your homeland doesn't produce those things natively (or doesn't produce enough) has a definite positive impact on your economy no matter where you are in the timeline :v:

Again it's not as bad as it was in earlier patches, but it seems like even countries in your market don't recognize massive demand when they see it and don't produce enough of these vital, geographically-limited resources.

At the very least I'd like my capitalists to build up oil and rubber industries in friendly countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Egalitarian Society sure seems easy compared to Hegemony, which requires you to conquer half the world. I shamefully couldn't manage it as Prussia.