Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1029780/Going_Medieval/
https://i.imgur.com/EGi7Vyf.mp4

This is a cool game in beta, you can play for free for now. It's kind of like Unreal World but 3D and less Nordic, or kind of like Dwarf Fortress but easier and not really. Some Terraria in there too. You get a few settlers and build camp, collect resources, welcome refugees, put down invaders, there's pretty flexible structure construction, you go up a technology tree. I assume there are 4x elements, because there's a world map with other settlements nearby. Nothing groundbreaking. But it's the first game of this genre that I've enjoyed. Prioritize settlers' tasks based on their skills and bonuses, and the work is automated. I played it for a few hours yesterday and woke up thinking about it, so might as well make a thread.

Tip: job 1 is to remap hotkeys before you get accustomed to the defaults.
Tip: wooden beams are one piece that you click and drag to stretch between wall pieces, not two pieces which auto-connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Game gud. I echo your feelings almost exactly : this game grabs me like nothing else like it has, and the default controls are awful and should be changed ASAP to move commands to wasted keys like Q and E. If you've ever had an interest in the genre, grab this and try it out while it's free.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Because this is a young game, you'll want to join the Discord to help you solve problems. https://discord.gg/goingmedieval

Stuff I had to ask about on the Discord:
1. If you have Hide Roof turned on, you won't be able to delete roof components. You can build, but to delete you'll have to turn Hide off.
2. F rotates the piece of furniture you're trying to place. Yes, what everybody else says, remap the keys ASAP.
3. To store food, dig a cellar two levels deep, then roof. Be sure to cover the floor; clay is ideal because it helps keep it cool. (Tip from me: When digging a hole, think ahead so that you will not strand yourself with undiggable areas preventing you from placing the next staircase.)

Discord says EA price will be $25 on June 1 with a 10% discount during the first week.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
The playtest is still playable through the .exe if you have it downloaded already, guess they missed that one.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I can't directly dig right under a wooden floor, right? I have to excavate the cellar first, have stairs to make sure my people can navigate the height, and then build the wooden floor over the cellar to function as the ground floor?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You can dig under a floor. You can't dig THROUGH it. The way I do it is to deconstruct three square to make room for the stairs, then build the stairs, then mine the rest. Keep in mind the impact on stability. Sometimes you may need to mine out areas carefully so you can build beams before mining too much.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah, right. Yeah I couldn't find the order to make dudes dig through the walls on the same z-level, only the mine order which basically functioned as the Dwarf Fortress channel order, ie. dig a pit one z-level below your current z-level. No matter, I'll be getting the game on June 1, I was that impressed with how granular the building system was; very Valheim-esque in the level of detail I could achieve.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Heartbroken I missed the beta for this, this looks like the kind of game I've been looking for.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

torn between playing more or waiting for the release so I dont burn out too soon

I hope this game turns out 2/3 as cool as Rimworld did because putting my archers on walls and towers is a lot more satisfying than another rimworld kill box

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sailor Dave posted:

The playtest is still playable through the .exe if you have it downloaded already, guess they missed that one.

Oh cool, yeah it says I can't play it in steam any more but I can still load it from windows. Presumably it validates something with their server so they can remote nuke it if they want?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Devs have posted a roadmap. Looks about right.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It sure does.

I am feeling hornswoggled by the fates, as I am unexpectedly going to be running flat-out for at least two weeks on household stuff. Woe! Woe, I tell you, in very sooth.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone know anything about how temperature is calculated? I never got a cellar to work right during the beta. Really missing Rimworld’s temperature readout in the UI.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It sure does.

I am feeling hornswoggled by the fates, as I am unexpectedly going to be running flat-out for at least two weeks on household stuff. Woe! Woe, I tell you, in very sooth.

On the bright side, that’s long enough for the honeymoon period to be mostly over and start getting accurate opinions about the game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There's a temperature readout based on cursor location at the top right. Ideally, you want a food cellar to be two levels underground, although one is not bad. It seems like the type of material the walls are made from matters to some degree.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

LLSix posted:

Anyone know anything about how temperature is calculated? I never got a cellar to work right during the beta. Really missing Rimworld’s temperature readout in the UI.

I know that it doesn't seem to matter how many levels are built up above it. If it ain't work I'd just go another layer deeper.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
By another layer do you guys mean one press of the z-layer view or a full set of stairs down? Does that mean a good food cellar is two stairs worth of depth?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

By another layer do you guys mean one press of the z-layer view or a full set of stairs down? Does that mean a good food cellar is two stairs worth of depth?

Same thing. A staircase goes one z-layer down. You might just want to designate it wherever you're excavating if it's close, and put a clay or stone floor down.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah, the world in this game is made up of areas that are about twice as tall as wide. That's why 16 Z levels is much taller than it seems at first. The view height changes in increments of 0.5, which can have various uses for mining and building over, in, and under other things.

And it's not so much "good" as "ideal". I had a 2 level food cellar where the higher floor would still keep food for 2-3 seasons, which in practice is plenty.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Does anybody feel like drawing an MSpaint sketch of how you dig a cellar? I keep messing it up in impossible ways.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I mean the actual digging is just mining a box, click mine and drag out the size you want. What part are you having issues with? For true long-term storage you need low temperatures which means 2 Z levels below grade, a roof, and a door. You also need a solid floor like wood or stone or the food will decompose.

I will say that I wish you could fill places back in with dirt. I always wind up mining out a few random holes by accident and it's kind of annoying to either fill them with something odd, pave them over, or try to come up with a use for digging out more.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I keep digging the staircase down to the first level, then being unable to dig a staircase down to the second level. I don't understand where to put the second staircase.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game good

How can I actually view down on a new Z level? I'm trying to press Ctrl + Mousewheel Down, but it still keeps the same view

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I keep digging the staircase down to the first level, then being unable to dig a staircase down to the second level. I don't understand where to put the second staircase.

Anywhere you like as long as people can path onto it. You're probably blocking the top. Note the footprint marks with the ghost, while characters can step on/off the bottom of stairs from the side, they can't step onto the top except from straight on. I always put a space at both the top and bottom for aesthetic reasons.

e - oh, maybe you're missing the fact that a staircase needs the 3 spots directly above it to be empty as well, for head clearance. Say you wanted to build two staircases in a row to go straight down, without bothering to clear the entire upper area of the storage. You'd start by digging 6 blocks in a row out, then dropping a staircase in at one end, then digging the lower 3 out, dropping another lower stairs in, then digging away from the bottom of the second staircase as you wish.

eonwe posted:

game good

How can I actually view down on a new Z level? I'm trying to press Ctrl + Mousewheel Down, but it still keeps the same view

Look at the top left, there's a Z level counter there. You probably have to control + mwheel a LOT before you get down to the actual level your base is starting at, especially because the Z level increments in half-levels for building purposes. Alternatively, control-click sets the Z level to whatever you clicked on, and then it's quick to adjust from there.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 2, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

K8.0 posted:

Anywhere you like as long as people can path onto it. You're probably blocking the top. Note the footprint marks with the ghost, while characters can step on/off the bottom of stairs from the side, they can't step onto the top except from straight on. I always put a space at both the top and bottom for aesthetic reasons.

e - oh, maybe you're missing the fact that a staircase needs the 3 spots directly above it to be empty as well, for head clearance.
Look at the top left, there's a Z level counter there. You probably have to control + mwheel a LOT before you get down to the actual level your base is starting at, especially because the Z level increments in half-levels for building purposes. Alternatively, control-click sets the Z level to whatever you clicked on, and then it's quick to adjust from there.

oh poo poo thats dope, thank you

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Watch out for winter, just hit my first one and it immediately went to -40c and all my people died.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Any recommendations on where to find iron? Around my starting location I've got salt, coal, limestome, clay, even gold just chilling around on the surface, but I've yet to find a single bit of iron.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Any recommendations on where to find iron? Around my starting location I've got salt, coal, limestome, clay, even gold just chilling around on the surface, but I've yet to find a single bit of iron.

It depends on map type but try quarrying down and creating mine shafts. There's no tell sign for items besides surface level. Also consider it may not have spawned at all since there's a bunch of bugs etc.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Somebody on the discord said that there is often iron under limestone, a layer or 2 down.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I cant seem to dig a tile deep staircase down, I always have to do 3 tile wide or the miners get confused

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BERGfu posted:

It depends on map type but try quarrying down and creating mine shafts. There's no tell sign for items besides surface level. Also consider it may not have spawned at all since there's a bunch of bugs etc.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Somebody on the discord said that there is often iron under limestone, a layer or 2 down.

I see, thanks! Going to give that a try, haven't gone too deep yet, aside from a cellar and a half-assed attempt at a moat :v:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

eonwe posted:

I cant seem to dig a tile deep staircase down, I always have to do 3 tile wide or the miners get confused

I'm pretty sure the miners are dumb and will mine out the nearest block first, blocking their path to the other two. When I've been building a 1 block wide staircase that's otherwise unexcavated, I've been designating them one at a time, digging out what will be the bottom block first and having no problems.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just watched them, you're 100% right

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

K8.0 posted:

I'm pretty sure the miners are dumb and will mine out the nearest block first, blocking their path to the other two. When I've been building a 1 block wide staircase that's otherwise unexcavated, I've been designating them one at a time, digging out what will be the bottom block first and having no problems.

they also frequently leave rubble in the tiles they dug out, making it impossible to build the staircase :mad:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This game turns out to be really quite addictive even if it's still fairly barebones. They landed on a pretty nice balance between micromanaging and the citizens being able to take care of things themselves. I'm a little more than a year in by now, and things are finally starting to take shape pretty nicely. I used to think that combat was a bit easy/boring, but then one wave just rolled up with an actual loving trebuchet and that sure changed the dynamic some :stare:. I'm really looking forwards to seeing how this'll turn out once it includes diplomacy and trading and suchlike.

Besides, it's just nice to be able to just zoom out and see your village/compound/hovel/castle in all it's glory.

(Please ignore the horrendous roof arrangements :v:)

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 4, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Are social interactions between villagers on the roadmap? That's one of my favorite little things in Rimworld. It seems like they've got part of the system in place with peon traits.

Edit: they are

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I've sunk about fifteen hours into this game and it's starting to feel like the current batch of content is drying up. I am however quite impressed at the amount of interesting stuff to do even at this stage of early access. If the developers actually deliver on their roadmap, this will be a great value game.

That said, the hauling/stockpiling/inventory management in general needs some major work. I felt like half my resources were just left abandoned on the fields even with my whole town on priority 1 hauling, causing carcasses, meat, crops etc. to decay without me realising. The small stack sizes and no bulk storage options means the map quickly becomes cluttered. I am hopeful for smarter hauler AI (ideally something like the "While You're Up" mod for Rimworld) and crates/shelves for bulk storage.

The enemy AI could also use a bit of work; since the enemies can't currently build anything, every raid and siege becomes a joke if you either dig a 1 tile moat around your base or build some form of killbox. I only ever felt vaguely threatened by enemy crossbow users since trebuchets seem to prefer shooting at my old wood barns than my limestone brick keep. Even enemy archers become fairly trivial once you start using brick windows. I'd like to see enemies bridging gaps with planks and scaling walls with ladders, or possibly being a bit smarter with trebuchets to punch an access route through a defensive wall.

It's a gorgeous game. The general aesthetic is charming and the weather effects are great. The building system owns and has a lot of potential for creative builds with Z levels making a massive difference. Overall, a very encouraging start and might even be worth the current EA price if you were a fan of the Medieval Times Rimworld mod.

Here's a pic of my keep being raided during a snowstorm:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's pretty good but yeah, it needs a library of incidents like Rimworld has to give you stuff to do while waiting for other stuff to be done. Really does look great though.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Yes, hauling is a problem and so is storage. A simple way to help would be if more items/like items stacked together. If you're just starting, build a LOT more storage space (for specific categories) than you think you'll need.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

updated today Hotfix 0.5.28.6

quote:

Various crash fixes are implemented throughout the game, caused by resource piles, room temperatures, roof spawning, building rotation, particle spawning, job panel, tooltips, & pausing production
Fixed crashes caused by naming settlers and village with non-latin characters
Fixed bug that caused dead settlers to get production experience
Added run in the background option: Players can now choose whether they want to allow the game to run in the background when changing focus (ALT+TAB)
Added a message when the player is trying to place a building somewhere where stability is 0. This also means that the message will appear when a player drags a wall off a cliff or tries to palace a wall on a spot with no stability
Merlons will not be counted as wall anymore
Fixed issue where music would get stuck on "one-note"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ambiguous Amphibian being hilarious, also GM gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFnRA905XzY