Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008
re: temperature chat, make sure you aren't putting braziers in your food storage rooms for light....they generate heat where torches do not. Really enjoying this game, scratching my Rimworld itch for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
How do I get the most food longevity from a cellar?
- higher quality flooring?
- should I be putting in walls or is dirt fine?
- go deeper than a full layer?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hold up, is there no way to keep a natural roof over a cellar? I'm trying to follow the advice of digging as deep as two staircases to make food storage, but whenever I mine my pawns always dig out the soil roof and I have to replace it with wooden flooring. Is this intended or am I messing up with the controls? Is there no way to dig out soil walls on the same z-level without losing the soil roof above?

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
You can absolutely leave dirt over the cellar. It's the best way to keep a room cold. This steam guide is a big effortpost about cold storage.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I finally got it, thank you. Basically the first underground z-level is an open pit you'll always have to put a wood floor over, but for the next level, you can pretty much tunnel through without removing the "roof." Dunno why it took me this long to parse it but yes, i get it now.

Guess I'll use the first underground layer for storing various crap or whatever then.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, I finally got it, thank you. Basically the first underground z-level is an open pit you'll always have to put a wood floor over, but for the next level, you can pretty much tunnel through without removing the "roof." Dunno why it took me this long to parse it but yes, i get it now.

Guess I'll use the first underground layer for storing various crap or whatever then.

You don't have to dig a giant pit or use the first level, you will want 2+ natural layers on top of your food storage or just research the prepared food. It uses whatever food you have laying around + an oven to make a meal that never decays.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Honestly, even just one z-level down directly below my living space (with a wooden floor) seemed plenty enough to keep food to last plenty long enough. I've only ever had a couple of cabbages spoil after more than half a year, and that was mostly because I had hundreds of meals in reserve by then. Though perhaps the hills map is a little cooler than plains? :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
the trick for digging stairways out and preventing them from falling in as you keep digging is to build floors under them. The rules for what counts as support are a little weird, basically build a beam every 4th row of a room and they can't be longer than 9 tiles (I think).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
How do enemies path in to the base in this game? Will they bottleneck on doors or will they attempt to breach a wall if they have a battering ram? I assume the trebuchets will just shoot whatever they can.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

How do enemies path in to the base in this game? Will they bottleneck on doors or will they attempt to breach a wall if they have a battering ram? I assume the trebuchets will just shoot whatever they can.

They will attempt doors yes, mainly the beeline for production buildings. If they can't get to one without breaking a door/wall/because there's a moat they can't cross they will bring the siege equipment to which there is no defense even being under ground. The easiest way to handle all this is to build a pyre right outside your main gate.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thank you for the pyre tip, it's been aces for getting raiders to bunch up in front of a firing line.

For anyone with access to limestone and clay bricks: are limestone bricks stronger than clay bricks? I've been baking clay bricks and probably will start replacing wood walls with them, but I'm wondering if there's actually a point to them if limestone bricks are stronger.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Enjoying my first several hours for sure. Here's a bunch of unimportant random questions.

What's everyone's bedroom setup? Will a window between rooms act like a vent in rimworld? Right now I have every single bedroom with it's own brazier for warmth but it seems like a waste. I've constructed a multi floor medieval apartment building of 3x2 bedrooms but I'm wondering if bedroom size is even a mechanic.

Is there a difference between clay bricks and limestone bricks for building walls? Clay bricks seem to take way longer to produce without multiple kilns without any obvious benefit.

Is there no trading at all? I'm wondering what to do with all the equipment from raids besides dismantling flimsy quality items at workbenches.

And boy do I miss stockpile priorities from Rimworld, one of my favorite zen activities is making small stockpiles around work benches so a crafter can just craft while a hauler does all the long distance work.

One final question regarding my underground storage, I built a small storehouse 2 levels deep with floors on the top and middle floors. I have the bottom of the storehouse separated into its own distinct room. If I wall up the top floor as well into a distinct room and heat it, will the heat travel below floors into the rooms below? I want to make the top floor a dining room that isn't -10c in the wintertime.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

For whatever reason my brain ignored the 'medieval settlement builder' part and built a frontier fort instead.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Frances Nurples posted:

For whatever reason my brain ignored the 'medieval settlement builder' part and built a frontier fort instead.

Nice.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I may be late to this, but if you're running out of steam with the content available, try building your entire colony underground. There are a few things (like smelters, smokers, etc.) that need to be above ground, but you can build an unroofed defensive tower over the colony entrance and just stick them in there. A bonus is that if you dig through stone you get ready-to-use building materials without the effort of sending your colonists to level a forest and then hoping that they eventually get around to hauling the wood back.

Some complaints are: hauling is extremely annoying right now. Even with the priority set to 1, colonists will still sometimes stand idle instead of moving stuff (even with open stockpile space). Selection with the z-levels is wonky. I am constantly accidently selecting things that are two and three levels down from my actual target. Combat is pretty weak right now. Three decent archers and a couple of doors to slow enemies down seems to trivialize it, which might actually be a good thing because the melee combat is so bad. I haven't done more than about 1 1/2 years on a single colony before getting bored and starting over, but I have been attacked by siege equipment and groups of 10ish enemies at a time without taking a scratch. It might scale toward unreasonable like Rimworld at some point, though. Finally, I haven't reached a failure state with about 4 colony starts. Once you get a smoker set up, you can easily find enough game and forage enough berries to get by when you're waiting for a harvest to come in if you run short. The worst I've had is a couple of colonists go into tantrum cycles, but those don't really have consequences right now.

Overall, what content there is has sucked me in the way only one or two games a year do. As someone else mentioned, I do hope they add to the Rimworld formula instead of just copying it straight up. There are a ton of mods they could get inspiration from. Either way, though, I'm going to get a lot of hours out of this one.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Yeah I thought it was a lot of fun but once I hit the 'win' state I didn't have it in me to build a giant castle. I enjoyed it and will probably chill on it for a while until there's more content.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Probably obvious but I've been poking at my cellars to experiment with temperature. I can definitely confirm that dirt walls are king. I walled in my cellar with clay and the temperature went from 6c to 9c. I didn't notice any large change to temperature from putting a floor between the bottom and top z layers, the higher floor stays only about 2c lower than the ground level floor so not super useful for food storage except maybe as a temporary overflow.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
After a certain colony size there needs to be a new layer of gameplay, one where you delegate lower tasks to stewards and you the player have to solve more important things, such as trade, diplomacy, policy, or warfare.

But that's just a dream.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Amazing what a quick flash in the pan this game was

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Amazing what a quick flash in the pan this game was

Well, it's still not out yet. I think we're all just waiting till they put more stuff in. I'll pick it up when they include trading/spheres of influence in the overworld map.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Update is out on the experimental branch.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1029780/discussions/3/5081733371355917671/?snr=1_2108_9__2107

Gonna put shelves everywhere :woop:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

This is on "sale" before going to 1.0. I know a lot of us were worried that they wouldn't flesh it out enough. What do people think now?

I enjoyed it for what's there, but how quickly they're moving to 1.0 makes me worry it'll be abandoned after reaching that milestone and become just another shallow clone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:shrug:

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

LLSix posted:

This is on "sale" before going to 1.0. I know a lot of us were worried that they wouldn't flesh it out enough. What do people think now?

I enjoyed it for what's there, but how quickly they're moving to 1.0 makes me worry it'll be abandoned after reaching that milestone and become just another shallow clone.

Kind of a bummer about the sale, this was picked up by a lot of people when it released in EA so I'm a little concerned that they apparently need another injection of revenue. What they have so far is pretty solid but seriously lacking in features and some systems are almost completely undeveloped. I spent about 20 hours playing the initial release so I guess it isn't the worst cost to playtime ratio'd game I've purchased, but there's potential and it's very moddable so I'd hate to see development end before they can flesh it out more.

Maybe none of that is the case though and they just wanted comfier chairs and bigger monitors for the team.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't see a sale or a 1.0 announcement and the game has been in EA a single month. Are we all talking about the same thing here?

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

zedprime posted:

I don't see a sale or a 1.0 announcement and the game has been in EA a single month. Are we all talking about the same thing here?

I took OP on faith, but looking into it, I'm almost positive they mistook Going Medieval with Medieval Dynasty, which is indeed on sale and about to hit 1.0.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

BrianRx posted:

I took OP on faith, but looking into it, I'm almost positive they mistook Going Medieval with Medieval Dynasty, which is indeed on sale and about to hit 1.0.

That's exactly what happened, because I'm an idiot.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I saw they just added shelves that actually hold books, so... that's cool. What would you guys say are the main systems or features this game needs to be updated next?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Settler interactions and personalities IMO, basically things to set up drama between your folk. Right now the descriptions are in place but don't really matter, most pawns are the same as others except for which religion they follow and minor bonuses/penalties to stats for various things.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Settler interactions and personalities IMO, basically things to set up drama between your folk. Right now the descriptions are in place but don't really matter, most pawns are the same as others except for which religion they follow and minor bonuses/penalties to stats for various things.

Please no. The lack of internal drama is one of the things I like about this game. I feel like I spend far too much time babying suboptimal pawns in Rimworld.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

How do you deal with larger raids? I feel like my settlers can more or less fight one-on-one, but any more than that and they start getting knocked out.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

How do you deal with larger raids? I feel like my settlers can more or less fight one-on-one, but any more than that and they start getting knocked out.

Bows are pretty OP. The largest raid I've seen is maybe 13 guys, but eight bowmen on a wall put them all down before they could even reach the doors.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Made it the first winter without losing anyone, although there were a few bandit raids where it was close. Fortunately I finally figured out that you can shoot out of windows if you open them.

I'm slowly building towards a courtyard estate. Housing is on the right and production is on the left.

That weird open building is a church with rimworld style crenelations (alternating merlons and walls to provide more cover). Honestly not sure if it's more effective than just merlons, but this way I can keep a roof over the spare bow weapon racks.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

This improvised shooting gallery proved to be wildly effective. I stuck three archers with longbows up on the little shooting bridge area. They killed attackers slightly slower than new ones walked in through the opening between the buildings. It took 2-3 volleys per attacker it seemed like. I also had 3 melee settlers right around the corner to bottle up attackers as they walked in.

It worked really well.

Defenders can shoot out of the windows in the unfinished room to the right, but the firing angles from windows are awful and they only got off 1 or 2 shots the entire attack. Meanwhile the other six settlers killed the ten attackers very quickly and only took a bruised nose in damage.

This particular group of attackers didn't have any shields, so the bows were more effective than usual.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone figure out a reasonable way to deal with the enormous piles of junk littering the yard after an attack? Since attacks damage armor, most armor and clothing after a battle is varying degrees of useless. Even a lot of the weapons are sub-standard.

Breaking it all down takes 4-5 days at least, and doesn't seem to give much material back.

The traditional approach (selling it) does't seem practical. I don't have nearly enough covered stockpile space to store it all, and most traders won't buy it even if I did.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You could set up a warfare stockpile outside of your base, then set priorities for that stockpile such that all junk tier armor and weapons are set out there. Almost everything that random raiders wear is low quality, regardless of damage. Once it is set aside, it'll degrade and disintegrate soon enough.

My town has enough citizens that I almost have to make work up for them, so breaking down poo poo-tier armor and weapons is fine, even though I don't need the materials. But really, just dump it. Use the sliders, anything below 50% - trash! Anything below good - trash!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The start of Spring Year 2 on my survival hard map.

I got an interesting map seed (204767448) that created a peninsula hilltop surrounded by 2 deep valleys on all sides except for a tiny attachment to the north to the rest of the map. I'm not sure I'd use it again, having the peninsula constrain my design options has been a mixed blessing. I feel like, because of some awkward archery angles, my current defenses are less effective than my previous designs that allowed attackers to run under bridges with archers on top providing with nice clean 0 deflection shots.

The start of the new year saw several half-finished construction projects put on hold in favor of spring planting and the production of summer clothes and better armor. In the middle the covered but unwalled storage area initially intended as a short term stop gap from first spring persists in being too useful to tear down.

To it's right, two stories of 3x5 housing provide luxuriously not-freezing housing. Flooring optional. The library takes up a double room space on each floor and I'm planning to cap it with one more floor for a total of 3 stories of housing and 1 story the full width of the building to store books. I'm not sure if I need that much space for my library, but I've had books rot before so I'm being paranoid.

In the middle distance, the newly built kitchen is attached to the not quite completely roofed cold cellar. I put the cold cellar too far north and had to shift it south in the middle of winter, and never had the time to finish replacing the walls and roof.

In the far distance is our limestone block watch tower. The first floor is an oak brother temple. The basement is currently holding half of my production tables for lack of anywhere else to place them.

Near it, is our first wooden watch tower. Initially constructed as an archery platform in our first spring, it was swiftly converted into emergency housing and then workshops. Temporary housing was not abandoned until the first day of winter. Just a few days ago I finally managed to move the last of the production tables out and into the kitchen, since I don't yet have a better place to put it. I'm hoping to tear it down soon.

Farm fields cover most of the land between the watch tower and the kitchen/cellar. The aiming angles are awkward enough that all my melee types are routinely reduced to half health but we haven't lost anyone yet. The one attack wave that brought trebuchets was exciting but the brick limestone construction held up admirably. The funeral pyres for the dishonorable dead next to the watch tower fared less well. They shot at me even though there was a clear path from their spawn to my village. I though they only did that if they couldn't find an unblocked path?

litany of gulps posted:

You could set up a warfare stockpile outside of your base, then set priorities for that stockpile such that all junk tier armor and weapons are set out there. Almost everything that random raiders wear is low quality, regardless of damage. Once it is set aside, it'll degrade and disintegrate soon enough.

My town has enough citizens that I almost have to make work up for them, so breaking down poo poo-tier armor and weapons is fine, even though I don't need the materials. But really, just dump it. Use the sliders, anything below 50% - trash! Anything below good - trash!
Thanks for the advice. I did some of that, just to keep my dudes from slowing down as they tripped over stuff. Moving production in out of the snow and higher skill levels have been helping speed up the cleanup too.

As does my resident cannibal. Being a cannibal seems to be purely upsides in this game. The +8 mood from eating human flesh is a pretty big boost, and she happily ate normal food before I got an attack wave to feed her off of. Surprisingly, non-cannibal settlers will happily butcher and cook humans. I haven't noticed them eating cannibal food though.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've kind of stalled out on my game until there's more content. I have a quite substantial, somewhat boxy walled fortress. There's an enclosed courtyard, and a protected quarry (only accessible through the castle) that has since been partially converted into cropland. I have extensive underground storage chambers, and there are years worth of smoked meat and pickled veggies in there. I'm converting the wooden parts of the castle to stone, as you can see with the unfinished, open gatehouse upper level.

I think when there's another big content patch, I might restart on a higher difficulty level. This current run has been pretty tame, it seems like archers with a height advantage just murder everything very quickly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

litany of gulps posted:

I've kind of stalled out on my game until there's more content. I have a quite substantial, somewhat boxy walled fortress. There's an enclosed courtyard, and a protected quarry (only accessible through the castle) that has since been partially converted into cropland. I have extensive underground storage chambers, and there are years worth of smoked meat and pickled veggies in there. I'm converting the wooden parts of the castle to stone, as you can see with the unfinished, open gatehouse upper level.

I think when there's another big content patch, I might restart on a higher difficulty level. This current run has been pretty tame, it seems like archers with a height advantage just murder everything very quickly.

Nice, very orderly. What did you do for a church?

I’m not sure if it was switching to survival or going up to one short of max difficulty, but the attacks are more dangerous. They started bringing trebuchets sometime around the first fall and they consistently smash any doors they can find. Attack groups are about twice the size they used to be, which means even with a death switchback a significant number of attackers survive to fight my melee dudes.

I really wish they’d spend a dev day giving different materials an impact on civilian clothing. There doesn’t see, to be a difference between linen, wool, or leather for clothing. One video I watched said that if you make armor out of leather it doesn’t have a move speed penalty, I want to give that a try when my tailor isn’t desperately making seasonal clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

Nice, very orderly. What did you do for a church?

I’m not sure if it was switching to survival or going up to one short of max difficulty, but the attacks are more dangerous. They started bringing trebuchets sometime around the first fall and they consistently smash any doors they can find. Attack groups are about twice the size they used to be, which means even with a death switchback a significant number of attackers survive to fight my melee dudes.

I really wish they’d spend a dev day giving different materials an impact on civilian clothing. There doesn’t see, to be a difference between linen, wool, or leather for clothing. One video I watched said that if you make armor out of leather it doesn’t have a move speed penalty, I want to give that a try when my tailor isn’t desperately making seasonal clothing.

The second floor of that big stack of levels is a gaming room/church, then beds are above. First floor is a library, then two levels below are food storage that branch out into general and alcohol storage that extends along parallel with the outer walls of the compound. If I keep it up with this game, I'll do a second level for the entire aboveground compound, and at least one level underground matching the silhouette of the surface structure.

It is true that leather armor has no movement penalty. Almost all of my people wear fine+ quality leather as a general rule, with the only exception being my dedicated melee. They've got steel plate that they only equip for fights, but they honestly never really need to use it. Nobody survives the shooting gallery, or the metal traps at the doors. If they ever do, though, there's a crew of armored longswords waiting for them! And the archers can fall back into the gatehouse to shoot down on the melee.

Only registered members can see post attachments!