Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Game gud. I echo your feelings almost exactly : this game grabs me like nothing else like it has, and the default controls are awful and should be changed ASAP to move commands to wasted keys like Q and E. If you've ever had an interest in the genre, grab this and try it out while it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You can dig under a floor. You can't dig THROUGH it. The way I do it is to deconstruct three square to make room for the stairs, then build the stairs, then mine the rest. Keep in mind the impact on stability. Sometimes you may need to mine out areas carefully so you can build beams before mining too much.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Devs have posted a roadmap. Looks about right.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There's a temperature readout based on cursor location at the top right. Ideally, you want a food cellar to be two levels underground, although one is not bad. It seems like the type of material the walls are made from matters to some degree.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah, the world in this game is made up of areas that are about twice as tall as wide. That's why 16 Z levels is much taller than it seems at first. The view height changes in increments of 0.5, which can have various uses for mining and building over, in, and under other things.

And it's not so much "good" as "ideal". I had a 2 level food cellar where the higher floor would still keep food for 2-3 seasons, which in practice is plenty.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I mean the actual digging is just mining a box, click mine and drag out the size you want. What part are you having issues with? For true long-term storage you need low temperatures which means 2 Z levels below grade, a roof, and a door. You also need a solid floor like wood or stone or the food will decompose.

I will say that I wish you could fill places back in with dirt. I always wind up mining out a few random holes by accident and it's kind of annoying to either fill them with something odd, pave them over, or try to come up with a use for digging out more.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I keep digging the staircase down to the first level, then being unable to dig a staircase down to the second level. I don't understand where to put the second staircase.

Anywhere you like as long as people can path onto it. You're probably blocking the top. Note the footprint marks with the ghost, while characters can step on/off the bottom of stairs from the side, they can't step onto the top except from straight on. I always put a space at both the top and bottom for aesthetic reasons.

e - oh, maybe you're missing the fact that a staircase needs the 3 spots directly above it to be empty as well, for head clearance. Say you wanted to build two staircases in a row to go straight down, without bothering to clear the entire upper area of the storage. You'd start by digging 6 blocks in a row out, then dropping a staircase in at one end, then digging the lower 3 out, dropping another lower stairs in, then digging away from the bottom of the second staircase as you wish.

eonwe posted:

game good

How can I actually view down on a new Z level? I'm trying to press Ctrl + Mousewheel Down, but it still keeps the same view

Look at the top left, there's a Z level counter there. You probably have to control + mwheel a LOT before you get down to the actual level your base is starting at, especially because the Z level increments in half-levels for building purposes. Alternatively, control-click sets the Z level to whatever you clicked on, and then it's quick to adjust from there.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

eonwe posted:

I cant seem to dig a tile deep staircase down, I always have to do 3 tile wide or the miners get confused

I'm pretty sure the miners are dumb and will mine out the nearest block first, blocking their path to the other two. When I've been building a 1 block wide staircase that's otherwise unexcavated, I've been designating them one at a time, digging out what will be the bottom block first and having no problems.