Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1029780/Going_Medieval/
https://i.imgur.com/EGi7Vyf.mp4

This is a cool game in beta, you can play for free for now. It's kind of like Unreal World but 3D and less Nordic, or kind of like Dwarf Fortress but easier and not really. Some Terraria in there too. You get a few settlers and build camp, collect resources, welcome refugees, put down invaders, there's pretty flexible structure construction, you go up a technology tree. I assume there are 4x elements, because there's a world map with other settlements nearby. Nothing groundbreaking. But it's the first game of this genre that I've enjoyed. Prioritize settlers' tasks based on their skills and bonuses, and the work is automated. I played it for a few hours yesterday and woke up thinking about it, so might as well make a thread.

Tip: job 1 is to remap hotkeys before you get accustomed to the defaults.
Tip: wooden beams are one piece that you click and drag to stretch between wall pieces, not two pieces which auto-connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Sailor Dave posted:

The playtest is still playable through the .exe if you have it downloaded already, guess they missed that one.

Oh cool, yeah it says I can't play it in steam any more but I can still load it from windows. Presumably it validates something with their server so they can remote nuke it if they want?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

LLSix posted:

Anyone know anything about how temperature is calculated? I never got a cellar to work right during the beta. Really missing Rimworld’s temperature readout in the UI.

I know that it doesn't seem to matter how many levels are built up above it. If it ain't work I'd just go another layer deeper.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

By another layer do you guys mean one press of the z-layer view or a full set of stairs down? Does that mean a good food cellar is two stairs worth of depth?

Same thing. A staircase goes one z-layer down. You might just want to designate it wherever you're excavating if it's close, and put a clay or stone floor down.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Yes, hauling is a problem and so is storage. A simple way to help would be if more items/like items stacked together. If you're just starting, build a LOT more storage space (for specific categories) than you think you'll need.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Amazing what a quick flash in the pan this game was

Well, it's still not out yet. I think we're all just waiting till they put more stuff in. I'll pick it up when they include trading/spheres of influence in the overworld map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I wonder if there are studios that go around buying out indie games that are 90% finished but still kinda crappy.