Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I have two cats. Sadly one of them is very sick. He is 10 years old, has FIV and a tumor in his stomach. He has lost lost a lot of weight and I fear that he is not gonna make it for much longer.

His behaviour also changed. He stays mostly in the kitchen now. He does not even go to the living room to drink from the water fountain, which he loved to do.

The most annoying change is that he seems to avoid the cat toilet, which is in the living room. He does not seem to want to leave the kitchen to go to the toilet, and instead he does his business on the kitchen floor.

I tried to make the cat toilet less scary for him by removing the hood and cleaning it even more than usual but so far no success. He seems to be set to spend the rest of his days in the kitchen.

Any advice is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

At his age with his health conditions I'd just focus on comfort care. If he wants to live in the kitchen, let him live in the kitchen imo.

Put a litter tray in the kitchen for him, near where he goes on the floor. A low one would be better so it's less work for him to get in and out of it. Buy a cheap cat fountain and put that in the kitchen for him, maybe.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Edit: ^^^ ugh I should read replys before I do. I agree with everything you said.
---------

Behavior changes as they get older. Our porch kitty (he is an indoor cat the name just stuck because he claimed my husband's porch as his domain) 10 years ago would chase us around to bite our leg when he wasn't in the mood to get petted. Now all he wants is pets and to sleep ontop of us.

If the cat won't leave the kitchen find a decent out of the way spot in there and put a litter box. I know litter box in kitchen sounds disgusting but it's better than a cat just pissing and making GBS threads on the floor.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 24, 2021

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Thanks for the advice. Here are a few pictures of the patient:

I did relent and put a cat toilet in the kitchen so he doesnt have to leave the room if he does not want to. He stills goes out on the balcony, because it is right next to the kitchen.

Also I have cut him some slack on what is allowed in the kitchen. I used to give my cats the water bottle if they jumped on the kitchen table or drank from the sink. I still do that to the other cat (the black one) but the patient is allowed to to as he pleases.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Sadly I had to put him down today. RIP Denver.

Here is a picture from better times:

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

RIP handsome cat.

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Sorry I know I am a month late but I am so sorry for your loss. :glomp: