Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Inceltown posted:

You can probably still buy that map - or at least one exactly like it - on Amazon.

Yeah, you can very easily get reproduction of maps going pretty far back:

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/615929817/antique-world-map-vintage-style-print
Older maps may not be that accurate, but they do look pretty drat sweet. Always wanted one with sea monsters randomly drawn in the unknown sea parts.

The day cartographers stopped doing that was a sad day indeed. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Man I am resisting the urge to go nuts spending on old maps and vintage books.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I would be extremely sus of someone specifically buying a map of Rhodesia tbh

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Our little primary school had a good set of maps by the redoubtable Chas. H. Scally of Wollstonecraft. In particular this one intrigued me:

Looking at the Northern Territory, it would seem the 3 biggest towns are Darwin, Alice Springs and Rum Jungle, so for 30 years that was all I knew of the NT. But a couple of years ago we went driving around up there, and actually went through Rum Jungle, which is about 3 houses, a BP and 2 dogs. Why did it get such real estate on the map?

Also we had this great old world map, very commonwealth-heavy. That solar system diagram is burned into my brain.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ye olde map weirdness is a fascinating topic, there's a lot of bizarre stuff and a lot of it persisted until shockingly recently, such as this weird anomaly on google maps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVemGumEEgo

It turns out that a lot of the dumb hosed up stuff was caused by Captain Cook :ssh:

Here's one about how the border between NSW, SA and Vic got all hosed up by cartographers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEtPzt6v6UI

webmeister posted:

Pretty sure the atlas I grew up reading still featured Rhodesia

Rhodesia was still a country when I was a kid :shrug:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Chikos go pretty good in an air fryer btw

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I used to have a book that I can't remember the title of. It was a history of all the island that only existed on maps due to gently caress up's by the sailors when they were charting islands back in the day. Quite a few of them had lots of interesting mystery and rumours about them due to sailors not being able to find them, due to you know them not actually existing.

Sometimes people would "find them" as usually the phantom map islands were just another somewhat near by island of coastline that the person making the original chart saw and then they just put it in the wrong place.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
theres probably freaks out there that collect old street directories

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dr_rat posted:

I used to have a book that I can't remember the title of. It was a history of all the island that only existed on maps due to gently caress up's by the sailors when they were charting islands back in the day. Quite a few of them had lots of interesting mystery and rumours about them due to sailors not being able to find them, due to you know them not actually existing.

Sometimes people would "find them" as usually the phantom map islands were just another somewhat near by island of coastline that the person making the original chart saw and then they just put it in the wrong place.

That video I posted about phantom islands covers a lot of them. Shackleton's 1909 attempt to reach the south pole is a highlight because their voyage back to South America was planned around rest stops at four islands dotted throughout the south pacific and they got severely hosed over when it turned out that none of these islands actually existed

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ye olde map weirdness is a fascinating topic, there's a lot of bizarre stuff and a lot of it persisted until shockingly recently, such as this weird anomaly on google maps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVemGumEEgo

It turns out that a lot of the dumb hosed up stuff was caused by Captain Cook :ssh:

Here's one about how the border between NSW, SA and Vic got all hosed up by cartographers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEtPzt6v6UI

From memory the WA-SA border doesn’t quite line up with the WA-NT border either, for basically the same reason. Though it’s closer than the NSW-VIC-SA border

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

webmeister posted:

From memory the WA-SA border doesn’t quite line up with the WA-NT border either, for basically the same reason. Though it’s closer than the NSW-VIC-SA border

Yeah both borders were supposed to lie exactly along the 129th meridian east longitude but the agreement that the PM and the state premiers signed in the 1920s stated that this would be a line running north/south between the Kimberley Obelisk and the Deakin Obelisk, two cartographic markers which were also supposed to be placed exactly on 129° 00'00" but which turned out to be at 128° 59'57" and 129° 00'018", which ended up created a 127m difference at the southern-most border of NT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveyor_Generals_Corner

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Chrpno posted:

Our little primary school had a good set of maps by the redoubtable Chas. H. Scally of Wollstonecraft. In particular this one intrigued me:

Looking at the Northern Territory, it would seem the 3 biggest towns are Darwin, Alice Springs and Rum Jungle, so for 30 years that was all I knew of the NT. But a couple of years ago we went driving around up there, and actually went through Rum Jungle, which is about 3 houses, a BP and 2 dogs. Why did it get such real estate on the map?

Whats the small green section under NSW where Melbourne is?
Is that another Territory?

E: thats Victoria, never mind

Also, my friend (mate) from Straya is from Belrose in NSW, What is some embarrassing poo poo I can ask him about?

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 27, 2024

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Melbournes Live Music Scene Over 50 Years

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Also, my friend (mate) from Straya is from Belrose in NSW, What is some embarrassing poo poo I can ask him about?

Ask him why he chooses to live on the Insular Peninsula

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

wesleywillis posted:

Whats the small green section under NSW where Melbourne is?
Is that another Territory?

E: thats Victoria, never mind

tony abbot is from belrose

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Some of the people who live in the Riverland near where the 3 states meet feel really strongly about where the SA/Vic border should be lol

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
why is it upside down

i need mr blackboard

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Missing a whole continent

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Missing a whole continent

Antarctica is losing sea ice so fast now that the map is more accurate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
pictures from my little bushwalk

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Sisters Beach?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How did you know?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

He was definitely not stalking you

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I got real good at tracking down people’s rock fishing spots using photos they’d taken

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

In your case the sun was setting to the left as you face the water, so it was the north coast of somewhere not very tropical looking. The rest was pretty easy to work out on google maps satellite images

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
it's the god drat metadata isn't it

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

it's the god drat metadata isn't it

imgur strips the metadata

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cavers, rangers and scientists have unearthed a near complete specimen of a 50,000-year-old extinct short-faced kangaroo called Simosthenurus occidentalis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
skippy the boof kangaroo