Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

We gotta go to Bendigo and get me cyuube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Armitag3 posted:

We gotta go to Bendigo and get me cyuube.

Get a Paddle Pop Morrrrdiiiii

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m fairly certain Australia isn’t real

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Don't be a bloody idiot in the bush: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZL1rY51Vdk

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

No, no, you're thinking of New Zealand.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Whorelord posted:

a friend of mine went backpacking in australia and spent 8 weeks in wollongong for some reason, probably because he thought the name sounded funny

he doesn't talk about what happened there other than that he called some american guy a ginger oval office for stealing his kebab or something and was later attacked by said ginger oval office, which ended up with both of them going to hospital.

wollongong sounds like a city of dreams

It takes time to fully immerse yourself in the local culture. Your friend lived like a local - even if only for a few weeks.

Wollongong has nice beaches. So does everywhere on the coast but you've got to pick somewhere eventually.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Aardvark! posted:

No, no, you're thinking of New Zealand.

Who?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnbtRiLamsw&t=132s

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

this is art

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just gonna pop a quick bookmark on this'n

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I visited Australia once and it was cool but I just stuck to Melbourne and Sydney, so it felt like leaving America Seattle to visit Australia Seattle, except with meat pies and kangaroos and cricket, so this is cool exposure to the rest and I do want to go back someday

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The best way to see Australia is to land in Sydney, do the tourist stuff, then spend a week or more driving to Melbourne via all the coastal towns

if you really want the authentic experience you wanna buy a cheap tent and camping poo poo and pick a couple of walk-in campgrounds for a night here and there as well

Coast-Australia is best Australia imo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Meanwhile, in Australia

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Suplex that pig

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

So which of Australia's main political parties are represented in this image

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So which of Australia's main political parties are represented in this image

thats roopert murdock loving all of them

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Crab Riders

That's right, Frankston has it all.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

a gentle lover

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Can I get some more uniquely Aussie foods for my files please? Or are you all a bunch of gronk cunts?

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Whorelord posted:

a friend of mine went backpacking in australia and spent 8 weeks in wollongong for some reason, probably because he thought the name sounded funny

he doesn't talk about what happened there other than that he called some american guy a ginger oval office for stealing his kebab or something and was later attacked by said ginger oval office, which ended up with both of them going to hospital.

wollongong sounds like a city of dreams

Wollongong is a strange place, seems every major city has a coastal satellite city that's a white trash suburban wasteland based around blue-collar industry and nice beaches that's accessible by train (See: Geelong, Mandurah, Adelaide)

You can walk into one pub and get beaten up by surfies, another and get beaten up by uni students, then another to get beaten up by bogans, but you can absolutely top it off by heading to Port Kembla and getting a barstool wrapped around your head by a steelworker under the glow of the Lysaghts fires.

Welcome to the 'Gong. Live the dream.

Growing up in Hobart in the 80's I instantly recognised the suburbs...

Aardvark! posted:

Can I get some more uniquely Aussie foods for my files please? Or are you all a bunch of gronk cunts?

Get this up ya'

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Aardvark! posted:

Pie Floaters
Dim Sims
Lamingtons
Pavlova
Fairy Bread
Vegemite
Cheesymite Scrolls
Democracy Snags
Golden Gaytime
Bubble-O-Bill

are amongst the things that are completely normal to me, but I have been told are uniquely Australian.

Apparently an American friend of mine has told me that a 4/20 style bog standard meat pie is difficult to get in the US.

Also, Bundaberg Rum doesn't do exports as far as I know. So you can't get it overseas. (Which is a poor business decision on their part. Places like Japan and Korea would go nuts for Bundy Rum.)

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Aardvark! posted:

Sausage rolls and lamingtons. Pavlova.

Sausage rolls and pavlova are imports but we've made them our own.

Hamburger with the lot (yes, egg, beetroot and pineapple do belong on burgers).

Chiko rolls (these are disgusting).

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

*Dodgy Aussie cuisine*

Mate, where the gently caress is the apex snack: the mighty Chiko roll??

quote:

The Chiko Roll is an Australian savoury snack invented by Frank McEncroe, inspired by the Chinese spring roll and first sold in 1951 as the "Chicken Roll" despite not actually containing chicken

These crunchy little bastards are legendary!

quote:

A Chiko Roll's filling is primarily cabbage and barley, as well as carrot, green beans, beef, beef tallow, wheat cereal, celery and onion. This filling is partially pulped and enclosed in a thick egg and flour pastry tube designed to survive handling at football matches. The roll is typically deep-fried in vegetable oil.

At the peak of its popularity in the 1960s and 1970s, 40 million Chiko Rolls were sold annually in Australia. The product has been described as an Australian cultural icon

Don't believe me about it being contentiously legendary?

quote:

In September 2016 a disagreement in the Parliament of New South Wales over the origins of the Chiko Roll occurred. The Nationals' Member for Calare Andrew Gee, Labor’s Member for Bendigo Lisa Chesters and Member for Riverina Michael McCormack all claimed the snack originated in their respective hometowns.

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the creation of the Chiko Roll the current manufacturer presented gold-plated replicas to Bendigo and Wagga Wagga cities.

In October 2016 Karratha resident Mark Habermehl cooked a meat pie and a Chiko Roll on a barbeque in an attempt to avoid washing dishes. The event made the local newspaper and prompted a nomination for Australian of the Year, recognising the 'Australian-ness' of his choice of cuisine, selection of cooking device and ingenuity

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pq8TFptKR4

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Best bird in Australia, get hosed bin chicken

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bubble-O-Bill

are amongst the things that are completely normal to me, but I have been told are uniquely Australian.

Weirdly enough they were also released in the US and the UK in 1985 at the same time they were released in Australia but they didn't catch on in those markets, so the only places they're still sold are Australia and NZ.

I'm not sure how many Aussie kids have even heard of Buffalo Bill so they probably don't even get the pun in the name

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

SOLO ads were like satires of themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOtLUwqNsZg

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Bertie Beetles and Violet Crumbles.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Choko!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Apparently an American friend of mine has told me that a 4/20 style bog standard meat pie is difficult to get in the US.

I have made it my life's mission to find one as good as the ones I had in Sydney Harbor during my trip. Those may not even be the best you've got to offer, but drat was that a good meat pie. :smith:

We have stuff like pot pies but I want to just walk up to a street vendor and get a delicious handheld pie full of meat, drat it

e. Also I lost a favorite pair of sunglasses off the side of our boat touring the harbor, so if one of you could get those for me I'd appreciate it

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Petition to get this thread added to the c-bomb probation exclusion zone as here in Oz it's not profanity, it's punctuation.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Breetai posted:

Petition to get this thread added to the c-bomb probation exclusion zone as here in Oz it's not profanity, it's punctuation.

That took a few readthroughs to understand.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Australians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmL72sgVdAQ

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Code Jockey posted:

I have made it my life's mission to find one as good as the ones I had in Sydney Harbor during my trip. Those may not even be the best you've got to offer, but drat was that a good meat pie. :smith:

Meat pies are dead easy to make.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Good one. That's a real old timey fruit right there.

Is the vine near a chook yard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Coming off the back of my earlier Wollongong post, I'd like to point out that the setting for that cartoon is actually Dapto Train Station, as you go south of the 'Gong the trash gets trashier until you hit Nowra and the trains stop.