Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

huh posted:

Good one. That's a real old timey fruit right there.

Is the vine near a chook yard?

Two hills hoists
A chook pen
Mango tree that has a resident scrub turkey more often than not
And two choko vines

:australia:

Jestery fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Strewth! We lost the flamin' Prime Minister!

Hand us another stubbie, Gazza.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
If there's a worse Aussie slum than Dapto I don't know where it is

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

abigserve posted:

If there's a worse Aussie slum than Dapto I don't know where it is

Literally all of Queensland.

Proof: I live there.

Captain Blueballs
Aug 3, 2007
You magnificent bastard

Seppos are unable to handle musk sticks. They almost universally complain that they taste of perfume.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Captain Blueballs posted:

Seppos are unable to handle musk sticks. They almost universally complain that they taste of perfume.

They used to be called Big Boss Cigars when I was a kid, which I feel is 100% appropriate for Australia at the time (early 90's). Pretty clever to remarket it as candy dynamite sticks instead IMO.

edit: Oh yeah that reminds me, we have these:

No joke, when I was a kid if you got caught eating these you'd be mercilessly teased for exactly what you would expect. Australia was reaaaaaaaaally homophobic back then (and still is).

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 25, 2021

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Blueballs posted:

They do taste like perfume but you should have grown up with them in the lolly bag sold by the tuck shop at the sports oval and thus have a fond memory of those pink atrocities.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Inceltown posted:

They do taste like perfume but you should have grown up with them in the lolly bag sold by the tuck shop at the sports oval and thus have a fond memory of those pink atrocities.

Oh man you just reminded me, my mum volunteered at the tuckshop at my primary school from year 5 to 7 and it was the loving best thing ever being able to skip the long lines and walk right up the exitway to the counter, and just pick out whatever I wanted for free. Needless to say, the look I got from the people in line was hilarious. Suck it non-tuckshop-mum-havers.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Surely the best musk flavoured lolly with a dodgy name is Fags. I know they're called Fads now but I remember, I will always remember.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Some more ad nostalgia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TDrWhWSZso

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Apparently an American friend of mine has told me that a 4/20 style bog standard meat pie is difficult to get in the US.

An Aussie opening up a bakery is worthy-enough for the local news in some places over there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIJUS9bF_p4

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

If you grew up in Melbourne during the 90s, then there was a rumour going around that one of your teachers was a member of this band.

But you'd be wrong. Coz the bass player was my year 9 Maths teacher.

I thought they were cosplaying goonsacks or something.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Breetai posted:

Strewth! We lost the flamin' Prime Minister!

Hand us another stubbie, Gazza.

Harold Holt is pretty Australian.

A sitting Prime Minister, who goes for a swim and is never seen again. Did he drown, or was he taken by the Chinese in a midget submarine? (He probably drowned.)

Anyway, the best way we could think of to commemorate him was to name a public pool after him. That's right a swimming pool named after a famous drowning victim. In Glen Iris.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Valko posted:

I thought they were cosplaying goonsacks or something.

They had a whole bunch of different costumes but some of them were very very goonsackish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFc-ictzHKE

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Wollongong is a strange place, seems every major city has a coastal satellite city that's a white trash suburban wasteland based around blue-collar industry and nice beaches that's accessible by train (See: Geelong, Mandurah, Adelaide)

You can walk into one pub and get beaten up by surfies, another and get beaten up by uni students, then another to get beaten up by bogans, but you can absolutely top it off by heading to Port Kembla and getting a barstool wrapped around your head by a steelworker under the glow of the Lysaghts fires.

Welcome to the 'Gong. Live the dream.

I lived in Wollongong for a while when I was a kid. I can't remember anything about it, it has been fully struck from my mental records. Now I feel like I've missed out.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

I'll let the images speak for themselves as far as folk art and general WTF goes...

Bullshit this is Wyoming, or, in a pinch, possibly South Dakota

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

The wooden bong in Woodenbong

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Jestery posted:

The wooden bong in Woodenbong

Shoddy crafstmanship. There's no way you're getting high with those gaps around the stem.

Shoddy bong construction. Nothing like the vegemite bongs I've seen you lads whip out.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
L O N G

S

T

U

B

B

I

E

S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35RytZ63fBw

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Shoddy crafstmanship. There's no way you're getting high with those gaps around the stem.

Shoddy bong construction. Nothing like the vegemite bongs I've seen you lads whip out.

Here is the one in a local museum of Australiana

https://www.maas.museum/inside-the-collection/2011/11/16/hits-from-the-bong/

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Spotted in the wild

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

How about a tale in pictures?

Kids must be bored down there. Is this what happens when you ban R18 video games?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I applaud the forward thinking government of Australia for busting large goons at large

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
You know, I didn't think it was possible to get more rednecky than the USA, but doggone it if Australia isn't doing their damnedest to prove me wrong

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Lolie posted:

Sausage rolls

Years ago you helped me figure out a good sausage roll recipe to make at home. I still make them often; they're my favorite easy lunch to bring on a fishing trip. :)

Lolie posted:

Meat pies are dead easy to make.

:stare: Go on ...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You know, I didn't think it was possible to get more rednecky than the USA, but doggone it if Australia isn't doing their damnedest to prove me wrong

Australia and Florida are just two long lost siblings.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sydney Bottocks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns15eHLDv1I

Go gently caress yourself I'm not doing your work for you

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Inceltown posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns15eHLDv1I

Go gently caress yourself I'm not doing your work for you

lmfao

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im on smoko :colbert:

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
what's that good australian beer called, the kind with the yeast/lees still in the bottle

edit n/m i figured it out... cooper's sparkling ale

Bula Vinaka fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 25, 2021

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Mustang posted:

Australia and Florida are just two long lost siblings.

Our surfing sucks but our giant reptiles are much more chill.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Szyznyk posted:

Our surfing sucks but our giant reptiles are much more chill.

But aren't crocodiles more aggresive than alligators? Also, I've seen Point Break, doesn't Australia have some of the best surf beaches? Anyway, is aussie weed any good? You got the climate for it, the stuff grown indoors over here isn't so good.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Australia has such good surfing beaches that one beach is called Surfers Paradise and it is not just a clever name. Downside is that it's in Queensland :v:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

The Solo ads just weren't extreme enough for him!

So he took up drug smuggling

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/...949422ae71e04a4

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Valko posted:

But aren't crocodiles more aggresive than alligators? Also, I've seen Point Break, doesn't Australia have some of the best surf beaches? Anyway, is aussie weed any good? You got the climate for it, the stuff grown indoors over here isn't so good.

I’m on the Florida end. God forbid someone mistake me for Australian.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Years ago you helped me figure out a good sausage roll recipe to make at home. I still make them often; they're my favorite easy lunch to bring on a fishing trip. :)
:stare: Go on ...

Good quality butcher's mince is the key to getting a rich, meaty flavour. When it's brown add finely chopped onions and herbs. Mixed herbs are fine or you can add your favourite herbs, but thyme is essential as is plenty of black pepper.

Don't add any liquid until the onion is soft. You can add either stock or shepherd's pie mix, but you only want about a cup of fluid. I add a couple of teaspoons is steak sauce at this stage but you can use tomato sauce or Worcestershire sauce.

Simmer it for about 30 minutes, making sure you break up any clumps of meat. There shouldn't be much liquid left. Add a little flour or gravy mix to thicken it.

Use homemade shortcrust pastry for the base and blind bake it. Frozen shortcrust is tough and disgusting. Frozen puff is OK for the top.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Lolie posted:

Good quality butcher's mince is the key to getting a rich, meaty flavour. When it's brown add finely chopped onions and herbs. Mixed herbs are fine or you can add your favourite herbs, but thyme is essential as is plenty of black pepper.

Don't add any liquid until the onion is soft. You can add either stock or shepherd's pie mix, but you only want about a cup of fluid. I add a couple of teaspoons is steak sauce at this stage but you can use tomato sauce or Worcestershire sauce.

Simmer it for about 30 minutes, making sure you break up any clumps of meat. There shouldn't be much liquid left. Add a little flour or gravy mix to thicken it.

Use homemade shortcrust pastry for the base and blind bake it. Frozen shortcrust is tough and disgusting. Frozen puff is OK for the top.

Bah Humbug!

"good quality mince"? Get hosed. The appeal of a meat pie is that it is chopped up offal in generic brown gravy. The "good quality" artisan meat pie you are describing sounds delicious, but it is not a meat pie.

A meat pie is something you buy at the footy and slather in tomato sauce whilst you sit in the rain and watch your team lose to an interstate side.

Edit: I just thought of another Australian only food. - Burger Rings. I haven't had a packet of these since school.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 26, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

tie me kangaroo down sport

I put this song on in the car for a bit of fun, but soon got a rude shock a couple of verses in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The appeal of a meat pie is that it is chopped up offal in generic brown gravy.

:hmmyes: