Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Australia can't even properly murder birds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Duck and Cover posted:

Australia can't even properly murder birds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War

So how much is it for an emu pie? Or pastie, if that’s available?

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
I got on the beers a bit last night and have been home all day trying to learn songs on guitar at the request of some mates who wanna start a band, one of which is the most Aussie of Aussie bands, the vanguard of Yob Rock and, strangely enough, a massive influence on the Seattle grunge scene in the early 90's, they're all top blokes and they're still kicking on in their 50's enjoying a huge resurgence in popularity, having made some of their best and funnest tunes yet.

Check out the fucken Cosmic Psychos

Get this up ya'

Bum For Grubs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27qQycNELRM

Fuckwit City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q954LxEzyY8

Mountain Of Piss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUj5avQPoGM

Feeling Average
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_fQWwCBkis

Better, Not Bitter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6wdhsUlqAs

Nice Day To Go To The Pub (live)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUzOg7um5Tg

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Nigmaetcetera posted:

So how much is it for an emu pie? Or pastie, if that’s available?

this lead me down a path in which i learned that some australians call them "bush chooks"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Aardvark! posted:

this lead me down a path in which i learned that some australians call them "bush chooks"

We have bush chooks, bush turkeys, bin chickens. Australia has it all.

It should be noted that Cosmic Psychos saw someone wearing one of their shirts at a Nazi rally and told them to gently caress off, destroy the shirt and never come to a gig again. They're ok.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

Emus are fantastic, they'll eat anything you hand it and can grow to 6'2 in height. I once had a couple of dates with a shiela who had one as a pet, it was like a giant puppy. very excitable and mischievous and required a tracker hung around its neck like a fashion accessory as he was liable to jump the gate and go exploring other yards. Also made a lot of weird sounds.

Emus have a relative we don't talk about as much because they're bastards, the Cassowary. These vicious jerks are a cross between a chicken and a velociraptor.

quote:

"The inner or second of the three toes is fitted with a long, straight, murderous nail which can sever an arm or eviscerate an abdomen with ease. There are many records of natives being killed by this bird."

The first documented human death caused by a cassowary was on April 6, 1926. In Australia, 16-year-old Phillip McClean and his brother, age 13, came across a cassowary on their property and decided to try to kill it by striking it with clubs. The bird kicked the younger boy, who fell and ran away as his older brother struck the bird. The older McClean then tripped and fell to the ground. While he was on the ground, the cassowary kicked him in the neck, opening a 1.25-cm (1/2-in) wound that may have severed his jugular vein. The boy died of his injuries shortly thereafter.

Cassowary strikes to the abdomen are among the rarest of all, but in one case, a dog was kicked in the belly in 1995. The blow left no puncture, but severe bruising occurred. The dog later died from an apparent intestinal rupture.

Another human death due to a cassowary was recorded in Florida on April 12, 2019. The bird's owner, a 75-year-old man who had raised the animal, was apparently clawed to death after he fell to the ground.

Other poo poo birds of Australia include:

The Brush Turkey which have taken to invading suburban backyards, cleaning up the lawns and paths to create a giant nesting mound.

The Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo which "are considered the most intelligent of parrots by pet enthusiasts. They have the learning capacity of a 1 to 2-year-old human child and they are capable of being taught to speak words and phrases." and has a set of bolt cutters for a beak, which they use to tear apart buildings, park benches and cars. They hang out in small to large gangs of cute feathered vandals and their screech can give you tinnitus.

The Australian Magpie is a bi-polar wanker who can be trained to be friendly to humans even as a wild animal but will try kill EVERYONE during nesting season. Seriously, they will gently caress you up.

The Australian White Ibis, colloquially known as the "Bin Chicken" or "Dumpchook" have lately become a nuisance in Sydney as habitat destruction has driven them into suburban areas where they paint sidewalks with enormous amounts of poo poo, spread the contents of council bins everywhere and generally loving smell terrible. Seriously, they smell BAD.

gently caress birds.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 26, 2021

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://files.catbox.moe/ad2u5u.mp4

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Brush Turkey.

gently caress birds.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Have you named it? Tell us about your turkey.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
We also have Turbo Chooks also known as the Tasmanian Native Hen. They run like maniacs and have one of the most annoying calls in all of the animal kingdom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn2QGJU7zJ4

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Australiana Americana crossover
How bout the time a confederate ship made a stop in Williamstown Victoria, we threw them a big party and when they left 42 locals went with em.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_and_the_American_Civil_War

I only know about it because of the old wallpaper in me dunny.:australia::destiny:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

You dingo dickers wouldn't know a ballerina if one bit you on the arse.
https://www.smh.com.au/world/dictionary-sides-with-nz-in-pavlova-debate-20101203-18j1t.html

On to pies. Mince is for toothless old codgers. Use steak, any stewing cut. And you probably want to slap a slice of cheese on top of it, under the pastry.

For content I offer wombat, uh, fudge.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

coldpudding posted:

Australiana Americana crossover
How bout the time a confederate ship made a stop in Williamstown Victoria, we threw them a big party and when they left 42 locals went with em.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_and_the_American_Civil_War

I only know about it because of the old wallpaper in me dunny.:australia::destiny:

Yeah, nah, that's pre-1901, that's a bunch of racist Poms, mate :colbert:

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Australia has such good surfing beaches that one beach is called Surfers Paradise and it is not just a clever name. Downside is that it's in Queensland :v:

Eh, the surf at Surfers is pretty ordinary. The good stuff is down around Greenmount.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Have you named it? Tell us about your turkey.

I lived in a place that had easily 6 scrub turkeys in the back yard constantly fighting

The people there named a particularly cocky one "Roger" and now me and my partner call all scrub turkey "Roger" or "Rogette" or "Rogina"

It had a baby recently and it's rather adorable

Classic hasn't grown into its body look, and extremely cocky

Roger has this classic move where it will be scratching the compost pile, see you see him, stop dead still
*Beat*
Maintain eye contact and keep scratching the grass

I doo have to chase him away because he fucks up my vegetable garden at times

Roger is only a small portion of the birds and wildlife in my backyard

There is even a hawk that eyes up my quails at times, haven't got a photo of him yet

EDIT: 5 minutes ago

Little possum

And for further reference, I live a 5-10 minute drive from the city center

Jestery fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 26, 2021

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Jestery posted:

And for further reference, I live a 5-10 minute drive from the city center

Brissie?

quote:

Have you ever
Ever felt like this?

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Inceltown posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns15eHLDv1I

Go gently caress yourself I'm not doing your work for you

I think I used to share a house with this guy and another lazy rear end in a top hat

so glad I live by myself now

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

you fuckin’ wot oval office?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A factoid I love.

Australia had a national cricket team decades before we had a national parliament.

Because, priorities.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Jestery posted:

[loads of great wildlife]

nice, i'm jealous. the possums round my joint are always breaking into my loving roof. had to evict one from the bathroom fan the other week

i mainly get parrots around here.

king parrots

crimson rosellas

rainbow lorikeets

they Do Not like me so i can't get any pics and will instead steal some

had a tawny frogmouth around for a while but the neighbours did too much noisy construction and he hosed off somewhere

i miss that dumb face

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Brisvegas oval office

Edit: more scrub chasing as I image search for scrub turkey and back yard

https://youtube.com/shorts/Og_g3b5edRY?feature=share

Jestery fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 26, 2021

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Jestery posted:

Brisvegas oval office

Settle down ya bloody banana bender

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Settle down ya bloody banana bender

Go tell yah story walking M8

Had one scrub get in the house

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

I gotta say, I am disappointed it didn't clean your kitchen. What's in a name, anyway?

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Dump of everything Australia I have on my phone

Wildlife:

Cool bug I found chilling out on the wheelie bin

This cheeky oval office was just hanging out by the front door one day. Opened the door at this was staring me straight in the face. If I hadn't been paying attention I would have walked face first into him. Just another day in Australia.

Possum skull.

Food:

A classic Australian lunch

On election days, sausages on bread are sold at almost every polling location across the country. If you hear an Australian talk about 'democracy snags', this is what they are talking about. Note the onion on top of the sausage. They're not allowed to do that any more because they might fall off and create a slipping hazard. Really.

A kebab and a dart is the perfect way to wrap up a big night on the piss.

Big rear end burger I got up in Palmwoods on the Sunny Coast

Locations:
Brisbane, QLD:

Sunshine Coast hinterland, QLD

Ettalong, NSW

Sydney's alright too I suppose.

We also have cracking sunsets on occasion.

Brisbane

Tangalooma, Moreton Island, QLD

Other random poo poo:

Nangs

Plumbers are among the highest paid professions in the country,as evidenced by the bling van

It is custom in Australia to burn a couch on birthdays, at weddings, when moving into a new house or basically any other social function you can think of.

Commemorating that one time I dropped me ciggie butt and it landed upright.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Possum skull.

I collect skulls.

General Broadcast: Send me skulls, I'll pay for postage.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Possum skull.

I collect skulls.

General Broadcast: Send me skulls, I'll pay for postage.

:black101:

when i was in Australia I stayed at this farmstead and this kangaroo just hopped in one day while we were having breakfast

it was a very nice roo and it didn't take anything, just hopped in and walked around to different tables like it owned the place

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

il modernissimo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTO6Iv4f3A

mouse over to see a map of tasmania

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

FOOTSACURAEY!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dumpchook is a rad name

Fuckin dying over here

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Visible Stink posted:

Dump of everything Australia I have on my phone

Excellent posts

What's cost of living like in Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane? I think if I ever wanted to do a midlife crisis "oh I just must escape everything I know and start anew" move, I could see myself going to Australia, I loved it when I visited

gonna buy a Skyline and a ute, and consume nothing but meat pies and VB and finally understand cricket, that is my dream of a new life

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RenS7Kxrmg

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQff4c4fHbg

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

What's cost of living like in Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane?

loving shithouse/Decent/Okay

Basically, depends what you want, if you like a warmer climate, a decent music scene, lots of wildlife, humidity, thunderstorms and hills, move to Brisbane.

If you like colder weather, a decent music scene, lots of rain, trams, very few hills, pretentious coffees, move to Melbourne.

If you like cold winters and bullshit summers, unaffordable housing, unreliable transport, a constantly knee-capped music scene, shithouse roads, awful traffic, tourist traps, corruption, misery, cockroaches and poorly constructed houses that leak, join us in Sydney and dream of moving to either Melbourne or Brisbane.

Bonus alternatives:

Adelaide: Small but charming, desolately dry, only a little backwards, great fishing, cheap as.
Perth: Basically doing its own thing, seems ok but keeps to itself, quietly successful, too far away from anything, great beaches, poo poo beer prices.
Darwin: 35 degrees every day, a storm at 5pm on the dot, never wear long pants again.
Canberra: Roundabouts and Parliament House. Suppose that's it. has some pretty decent laws though, I think.
Hobart: Freezing, small, trying to pull itself into the 21st century from the city centre outwards, fantastic place to chill and explore (If you're white)

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

City comparisons aside, you can judge cities by their famous beers, but only if you stick to commercial ones.

Sydney:
Toohey's New: Basic Lager - Pretty poo poo.
Toohey's Old: Dark Ale - Barely ok.
Toohey's Extra Dry: Dry Lager - Still poo poo
Resche's: Pilsner - Not entirely undrinkable.

Brisbane
Castlemaine XXXX Gold: Mid-Strength Lager - Piss.
Castlemaine XXXX Bitter: Pale Lager - Decent (I can't find it in NSW wales anymore and it's a guilty pleasure whenever I visit QLD because everyone assures me it is poo poo and I just don't understand why)

Darwin
NT Draught: Lager - Awful

Perth
Emu Bitter: Lager - Disgusting
Emu Export: EU Lager - Revolting
Swan Lager: Lager - Probably terrible

Adelaide
Cooper's "Green": Pale Ale - Great
Cooper's "Red": Sparkling Ale - Pretty good
West End Draught: Lager - Swill

Hobart
Cascade Draught: Lager - Very drinkable
Cascade Premium: Lager - Very drinkable

Melbourne
Victoria Bitter: Lager - Attrocious (Most popular beer in Australia)
Carlton Draught: Lager - Woeful
Melbourne Bitter: Lager - Shithouse, popular with hipsters (Australia's PBR)
Foster's Lager: Lager - Crap. Australian's don't actually like this as much as the ads claim.

That said, the surge of microbreweries in Australia in the last 15 years means you can find ANYTHING to taste. So you don't have to drink any of these.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Im off for a counter lunch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Sydney sucks, pass it on

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

City comparisons aside, you can judge cities by their famous beers, but only if you stick to commercial ones.

Sydney:
Toohey's New: Basic Lager - Pretty poo poo.
Toohey's Old: Dark Ale - Barely ok.
Toohey's Extra Dry: Dry Lager - Still poo poo
Resche's: Pilsner - Not entirely undrinkable.

Brisbane
Castlemaine XXXX Gold: Mid-Strength Lager - Piss.
Castlemaine XXXX Bitter: Pale Lager - Decent (I can't find it in NSW wales anymore and it's a guilty pleasure whenever I visit QLD because everyone assures me it is poo poo and I just don't understand why)

Darwin
NT Draught: Lager - Awful

Perth
Emu Bitter: Lager - Disgusting
Emu Export: EU Lager - Revolting
Swan Lager: Lager - Probably terrible

Adelaide
Cooper's "Green": Pale Ale - Great
Cooper's "Red": Sparkling Ale - Pretty good
West End Draught: Lager - Swill

Hobart
Cascade Draught: Lager - Very drinkable
Cascade Premium: Lager - Very drinkable

Melbourne
Victoria Bitter: Lager - Attrocious (Most popular beer in Australia)
Carlton Draught: Lager - Woeful
Melbourne Bitter: Lager - Shithouse, popular with hipsters (Australia's PBR)
Foster's Lager: Lager - Crap. Australian's don't actually like this as much as the ads claim.

I think you're being pretty generous for a lot of these.

That said, the surge of microbreweries in Australia in the last 15 years means you can find ANYTHING to taste. So you don't have to drink any of these.

In particular I think this has exposed just how average Coopers is. It's still head and shoulders above the others though.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Seppos only know of Cooper's if they homebrew. Beyond that it's Foster's and maybe VB, and I'd take VB over Foster's any day. Also a slab is a far better term than a case of beer, and skulling is a better term than pounding a drink.

How popular is homebrewing since a slab costs the same as a mortgage payment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Bill Posters posted:

In particular I think this has exposed just how average Coopers is. It's still head and shoulders above the others though.

Absolutely, but I was comparing them in the commercial realm, not the microbrew realm.

There are far too many fantastic beers to list from there, but I have found myself sticking to Young Henry's "Newtowner" Pale Ale. I can drink 2 six-packs of them and not have a hangover (So long as I have eaten) but I also contribute that to not smoking ciggies anymore.