Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
You’ll never guess the origin of the name Blacktown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Nam Taf posted:

edit: ONE THREE DOUBLE OH SIX TRIPLE FIVE, OH SIX

dat's ferteen ferty ferty two

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtmZjDrofJQ

Just wondering if Maurie Mole was just a Newcastle/NSW thing?

Wondering the same thing about Big Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSJZpiT76kw

I used to have that doona cover.

Dunno about Maurie Mole but Big Dog definitely was. We never got it in Sydney but when visiting cousins in Newcastle I always found it hilariously provincial. Same thing now staying with my in-laws in the Gong - ads for tractors, sheds, and of course ads starring the company owner for some reason

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Hoo boy that schtick has not aged well :stare:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

If anyone wants to have a chat

https://twitter.com/beneltham/status/1432562016862887937?s=21

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Saw this awesome little bloke today:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Got swooped by a fucken magpie today, apparently they take exception to craft breweries!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Currently in Jindy, can confirm winter loving sucks

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

No shots of the bra collection, 3/10 see me after class

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I know what you filthy animals want, you want Brutalism, big sloppy loads of concrete all over your cityscapes

There used to be a sick arse nightclub just underneath that weird mushroom building!

RIP Dendy, you ended up as a Harvey Norman

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Beavey and Butto

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

crashing into middle stump

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Gravy day motherfuckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOWtK6HYCSE

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

There’s a kickarse Aboriginal art gallery in Roebourne next door, but dealing with 50+ temps is just lol

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah we were there in July and it wasn’t too bad. Cool ghost town nearby too while I’m giving out travel tips

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Same, we built weapons.

Wittenoom?

Cossack. I don’t think you’re even allowed into Wittenoom these days, though we didn’t actually try

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Laserface posted:

Is this the asbestos town or another uninhabitable thanks to mining town?

Wittenoom is the asbestos town, Cossack is just an old port that got abandoned when they built Dampier and Karratha nearby

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Good doggos, dachshunds are easily the best breed.

Whereabouts is that? 100% need to visit with my little snag!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Edenhope Victoria, close to the SA border.

Wow I just looked it up and that’s the middle of fucken nowhere lol

Laserface posted:

My friend has a dachshund that gets extremely aggressive if anyone taller than say 5ft 10 approaches him.

his owner is 5ft 10 so i guess it makes sense? but i cant help but laugh at 'short, long dog mad at vertically long person'

Dachies are actually super aggressive even with good training, they’re proper hunting dogs and the instinct never quite leaves them. Mine gets triggered by small wheels, so he’ll go ballistic at wheelie bins, scooters, rolling suitcases, lawnmowers, skateboards etc.

I think they’re one of the “most likely to bite” breeds, they just get a pass because they’re cute and can’t rip a child to shreds like a staffy.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

My MIL watches like 3 hours of old NCIS episodes every single loving night of the week, I have no idea why since every single episode is the same poo poo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

On par with trump looking into the eclipse

That sudden snap of the visor coming back down as he realises is pure comedy gold

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Will Scotland even be in the commonwealth in 2026?

More likely than the Faroe Islands, which are part of Denmark

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

Imagine getting all defensive about trash tier American bread

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Once in a century rainfall event, that’s now happened three times in four years

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Is everyone just ignoring that this guy apparently walks into Coles and starts tucking into the mushrooms

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Literally indistinguishable from an Onion headline

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

They spent dump trucks of money last election and won gently caress all, I can’t see it being any different this time

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Megabound posted:

Took some photos of the locals, best birds around town. The Magpie.

Dead set after three years travelling the world the thing I missed most about Australia was magpie birdsongs. I know we’ve got some great fucken birds here, but the magpie is top of a strong list imo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yeah nah this time of day old Tommo Bombaroo is up at the cricketers arms playing the pokies. If they're still there after closing I guess he'll sort 'em out.

Don’t worry, old Tommo knows the perfect song for this guy

*rip rip wood chip turn it into paper*

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Lift your game slackers

Bloody ABC, so high on coke they can't even get the grammar right. "reported that Australians consume stated that" :wtf:

Side note: that's about 4 tonnes per person per year. My old flatmate went through a fair bit of the stuff, so he'd be okay with that figure, but the rest of us....

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What exactly does Mexican food in Oz taste like?

We basically only get Tex-Mex food here. I spent a few months in Mexico last year (2022) and was surprised at just how different everything was. For example, we don't have corn tortillas at all (you can sometimes find them, but they're specialty products aimed at coeliacs). There aren't many actual authentic Mexican restaurants around, there's a handful of Taco Bell outlets (have never eaten there either here or in the US so I can't tell you how it compares), and there's an upmarket chain called Guzman y Gomez that's kinda similar to Chipotle.

But yeah the average Australian will equate "Mexican" with the Old El Paso stuff in the post you quoted.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Verimus posted:

I spent many years wishing for a cake from that book.

Same

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

As a diehard Ford lover, I appreciate Twitter’s sensitive content warning on this image

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Huh, I’m headed to Albury next week so I guess alpaca coffin

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Must say while mostly back in the day did look a bit poo poo, their were quite a few really nice looking old buildings and such around. Not all of it was just rose tinted glasses.

Yeah 100%, there's some great looking buildings in there alongside a cavalcade of poo poo. I'm a big sucker for Federation-style housing, when they're well maintained they're just beautiful, although a bit of a pain to live in (small rooms, impractical layouts and so on).

Pyrmont is kind of a weird place, I lived there for about 10 years in the late 2000s and early 2010s. All of those modern bland apartment blocks jostling for position, alongside boring beige 90s apartment buildings, then little pockets of poorly-maintained terraces and the big area of houso as well. And despite the location, it always felt like a quiet little village, particularly down around the point area.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah, I walk through a lot because my main job is there, I particularly like Bulwara Rd, especially when you get around the Lord Wolsely, there's definitely a community vibe there.

Hah, I worked basically opposite the Lord Wolsely for a few years in the early 2010s (ironically just after I'd moved out of Pyrmont), and it's a cool little spot down there as well assuming you stay away from Harris Street. I lived mainly in the point area, north of Union Street which was super quiet - no real reason to go there unless you lived there (or it was NYE).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Not to mention a number of villages and homesteads that were abandoned or disappeared above the Goyder Line in South Australia.

This house is still there and doesn’t look much different - I drove past about 18 months ago. It’s just off the Barrier Highway north of Burra in SA

It’s on private land though so you can’t get that close to it, unfortunately

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

DumbparameciuM posted:

There's a sound recording of Tracey of (IIRC) at the National Museum in Canberra. The sound of all that corrugated iron scraping along the road and cars and houses was awful. Must have been like being in a long explosion.

It's in the main museum at Darwin but yeah, it's pretty full-on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Following the theme of last week, some kickass old terrace houses in King's Cross (which was actually named Queen's Cross until 1905). They were knocked down in the 70s to build the Kings Cross police station