Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Best bird in Australia, get hosed bin chicken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

piratescurvy posted:

Question: I’ve seen this in books, do you actually say “fair dinkum”.

It's a bit old fashioned but people still use it

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I grew up drinking VB so I think it's alright.
It is one of those beers that tastes really different every time you drink it which is a bit of a worry. It's very temperature sensitive I guess.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When I lived in the bush I would wake up in the morning and kangaroos would be standing right up near the window staring in. It was pretty creepy

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KING EGG posted:

I had to watch that to make sure I wasn't in it. I saw a few people I knew.

Same. I'm glad it's an accountants office or something now.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AKZ posted:

Do you get in trouble if you have to rough up a kangaroo that keeps trying to get in your house?

Most species are not protected so I guess you could kill it humanely and not get in trouble?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ili posted:

Isn't the boys some seppo poo poo? Cunts over there don't have the right to appropriate our lingo, tell 'em to get fucken hosed mate.

The original (and best) "The Boys" with David Wenham is some extremely Australian poo poo.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 13, 2021

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I live within spitting distance of the Melbourne CBD and although we never get snakes in our backyards there's a popular walking/cycling track along a creek that runs right through the suburb which frequently has snake sightings all the way through the warmer months. If there's a permanent source of water and a bit of scrub there's guaranteed to be snakes as well.

I used to see the odd tiger snake on the Merri creek trail

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ili posted:

What the gently caress that's some seppo bullshit mate.

You don't make Anzac bikkies with quinoa and flaxseeds?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like Anzacs both soft and crunchy, both kinds are god

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

For a second I didn't realize you meant the biscuits, not the actual ANZACs.

That post will be used against me in the next Australia Day Purge

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nam Taf posted:

KFC in WA and QLD is run by a different company to KFC in the other states. Only one of them does hot and spicy on the reg, for the other it’s a special promo thing.

Absolute insanity imo.

KFC is seppo poo poo

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Is it true that yous guys are not allowed to have the Mortal Kombat video games?

When I played mortal kombat 1 on my super nes it looked like sweat was coming out of the people when you uppercut them

actually that was probably a nintendo thing and not an Australia thing

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ili posted:

Tradies can be wankers, office snobs can be wankers, basically every oval office can be a fucken wanker ay.

And then there's real estate agents...

Actually I know a couple of real estate agents and they're OK

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love the idea of a town that nobody will defend

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's a Tittybong in northern VIC.
I thinks it's pretty much a ghost town though

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ili posted:

VFL isn't even Australian it's just poo poo for the southern wankers.

More Australian than rugby league

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Warrnambol's Airbourne are pretty popular overseas, moreso than in Australia defintely

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember Eskimo Joe announcing that they were going to try and crack the US
I should check on how that's going

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hercules Returns is my fav Australian movie

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

I'll fight you on one condition - you lower your nipples.

I loved it so much as a teenager
I haven't seen it in a while, I'm sure all the gay jokes aged really well

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Counterpoint: you can do things without sweating in winter.

Being hot and sweaty used to bother me but now I just embrace it and choose not to let the weather be the boss of me

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nob-yline bowling

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

The wave is a dying art. Kids these days know nothing of our peoples traditions.

It lives on in neighbourhoods with narrow streets and on street parking

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They're planning to do most of the Commonwealth Games in regional Vic, I guess if you're going to do these things that's better than having it all in Melbourne. Also with the Commonwealth Games there's a lot less absurd IOC bullshit and white elephant projects. If the Olympic Games was more like the Commonwealth Games it would probably be a good thing.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Commonwealth Games are so small time that having the rowing on lake Wendouree for a few days won't exactly destroy Ballarat, they were expecting traffic chaos on the gold coast and then the businesses were complaining about the lack of punters

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

May the match fixing drug cheat be burning in hell now.

I'm not 100% on the theology but don't think match fixing is a mortal sin so he's probably bowling flippers in purgatory

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, that seems about right

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

Is it really still a thing? Most people in Syd have moved onto meth. Only old school types line up for methadone and you just don't see someone on the nod in Syd anymore at least.

The east end of bridge Rd in Richmond is still pretty heroin-y afaik

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My office is above a pub and there's people pretty well on the way by the time I knock off at 6 on Friday

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They also found that rakali had figured out how to flip cane toads over and eat their heart out without getting near the poison :black101:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Those are cool photos, thanks for posting

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Concreter's Caviar hehe

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lolie posted:

I'm always surprised at how many "big events" my kids know nothing about. Tracy, Granville Bridge, Tasman Bridge. I'm sure there are others they're only aware of because there have been documentaries or mini-series about them.

I'd never heard about the Luna Park ghost train fire till that doco miniseries came out last year. Which was very good btw

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When the Marysville/Kinglake super fire was going on or around Black Saturday all of Melbourne was a disturbing orange colour and reeking of smoke. There was also that time a few years ago where Box Hill had the world's worst air quality for half a day or something due to bushfires.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

I just finished reading John Birmingham's Leviathan again, absolutely recommended reading, especially if you already despise Sydney. I might start Roger Franklin's Inferno today, brush up on Black Saturday before the 14th anniversary which is in little over two weeks.

It's a bit of a heavy read, as you could imagine. There's also hell of a doco film about it if you have a spare two-and-a-bit hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Uz8ltWOGU

Thanks for the doco and the book reco, will check that out
I read The Arsonist: A Mind On Fire by Chloe Hooper which is pretty good and covers a specific part of the super fire complex thing

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I would read a short history of Hughsey and his journey from young comedian to being universally disliked. Commercial radio probably has something to do with it

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Airstream Driver posted:

That looks pretty good but gently caress me $10 at least make a version of the jatz yourself.

Yeah, you're not supposed to charge 10 bucks for things people can get out of packets and tins at home and place on top of each other

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

When I was a kid there was a Mexican restaurant called Taco Bill in Frankston. (There is also one in Mornington).

For the longest time, whenever I heard them say "Taco Bell" on American TV shows and stuff, I thought they were referencing that restaurant, and thought it must be a famous chain.

That's my US-fast-food-chain-restaurant-in-Australia-adjacent-story.

As an aside, the Taco Bill I am thinking of, (across the road from the old cinemas on Nepean Highway), was very lax about it's alcohol serving laws. So me and my friends could walk in, sit down and enjoy beers with our meal when we were 15-16 without any hassle. Possibly why it isn't there anymore.

There's still a few Taco Bills around Melbourne.
I think Bill was a yank who pretty much opened the first "Mexican" restaurants in Australia
I've been to the one in South Melbourne a few times when I worked near there because they sold dirt cheap margaritas. The food was whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Coles, South Melbourne, Early 70's. Look familiar?

I love these old photos

I worked in South Melbourne for years but I can't figure out where the Coles is/was, I don't think it's there anymore though