Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Can’t remember the name of it right now but there was a car that was basically the Adelaide equivalent of the Trabant. Only a few hundred were made and if you wanted to reverse you had to stop the engine and then start it backwards lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

coldpudding posted:

Are you thinking of the lightburn zeta https://shorturl.at/bnqCN
I only know about it because they used to make washing machines and cement mixers with the same barrel and bearings.

edit: :yaycloud:

Haha yeah , that’s it!

Also from the Wikipedia article:

quote:

With the Zeta, however, failure was engineered into the product from day one.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I think 2026 is the same Commonwealth Games that Adelaide turned down about a decade ago despite being the only eligible city in the world at the time (they would have got it just by putting in a nomination). I think they asked a bunch of Calgary-tier Canadian cities after that but none of them wanted to take on the debt/spending and now 10 years later it’s ping ponging between Melbourne and Hobart

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I don’t know why Melbourne wants it tbh, they definitely lost a lot of money from the 1950’s olympics they hosted

I know the Commonwealth Games is the off-brand version so maybe it’s cheaper

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Wise pr move changing his name from Greg to Yahoo

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Jestery posted:

Reckless Kelly is a fuckin weird movie

Prayer time sinners!!!!

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Hopefully if we pretend this embarrassing poo poo happened in Texas or something everyone will believe it

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

'truck on pole' is like the least quirky thing you could think of. South Australia, what the hell make an effort

Tbf Kieth is more of a petrol station than a town but the name always makes me laugh when I see it on road signs

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Narrowly avoided Queensland fever

quote:

Q fever was first described in 1935 by Edward Holbrook Derrick[27] in slaughterhouse workers in Brisbane, Queensland. The "Q" stands for "query" and was applied at a time when the causative agent was unknown; it was chosen over suggestions of abattoir fever and Queensland rickettsial fever, to avoid directing negative connotations at either the cattle industry or the state of Queensland.[28]

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Yeah, there was a takeaway place in Adelaide that was already named Burger King so they decided to name the Australian franchise of Burger King Hungry Jacks to avoid copyright issues and then got into a legal battle with actual US Burger King instead lol.

They were only allowed to use Burger King trademarks if they expanded their business at a certain rate, which they fell short of or something

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I used to have one of those puzzles where you moved the pieces around to form an image and it was the Telecom logo

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

There’s no sign for the giant ant in the background

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
These are all actual Australians, and the first two look like b-tier radio hosts

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

EoinCannon posted:

I took the Overland from Melbourne to Adelaide
It's pretty flat and boring till you go through the Adelaide Hills
I wouldn't do it again but after a hectic christmas period it was nice to sit on a train all day with not much to do but read, look at the horizon and enjoy the leg room and reasonably priced beers at the bar

My old housemate did customer service on those trains. They are essentially cruise ships, with similar excursions and a similar age demographic. At least the long routes like Adel-Bris or the Ghan were.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1673528399279579140

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Inceltown posted:

How many things are now called what amounts to the local term for "gently caress off whitey"?

Some place names just mean poo poo like “white man in a hole”

quote:

Coober Pedy is considered by the senior Western Desert people to be the traditional land of the Arabana people country, but Kokatha and Yankunytjatjara people are also closely attached to some ceremonial sites in the area. The origin of the name of the town (decided in 1920[8]) is thought to derive from the words in the Kokatha language, kupa piti, usually translated as "whitefella – hole in the ground", or guba bidi, "white man’s holes", relating to white people's mining activities

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

That honestly seems way past the point where it becomes too dire to bother with

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Extremely glad it’s like 15c and raining in the southern half of the country today

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Ah that's not good for *checks googles maps* um, absolutely no one it seems. Maybe Madagascar if it somehow makes it that far?

Maybe it’ll pull a Cyclone Freddy and make it that far

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Inceltown posted:

I regret to inform you that Mount Gambiers Human LEGO Man has been cancelled.

ACAB means you too Human LEGO Man

Apparently a dog mauled him when he was dressed as Lego Batman and it killed the dressing up like Lego dudes vibe for him

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
special broadcasting service indeed :popeye:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Some of the people who live in the Riverland near where the 3 states meet feel really strongly about where the SA/Vic border should be lol

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Missing a whole continent

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I wonder if the bom space weather site is slow af due to high traffic or due to the solar storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I really briefly saw it in Adelaide around half an hour ago but it’s gone now. It was just a really faint red glow on the southern horizon that I confirmed was Aurora when I took a long exposure photo. Looks like almost nothing to the naked eye. I’m heading down the Fleurieu Peninsula now to see if I can get a clearer view of the southern horizon away from light pollution

I think leaving the city is the only way to see it properly