Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Good one. That's a real old timey fruit right there.

Is the vine near a chook yard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

I remember this but I don't remember it being a minute and a half long.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Oh heck, this was announced an hour ago.

Crowbar it is.

The poster really does make them look like men who drank too much.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Brisbane rules.

Fauna and flora from my yard:

The tallest one is just over 20 metres.

Rainbow lorikeets. Real marauding type. Ruthless.

That pair of eyes belongs to a carpenter bee. One of three that live in an old branch I have tied to a post out the back. They like burrowing nests into dead mango tree branches.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Megabound posted:

Trying to tap into that shared consciousness of riding pushies out to swimming holes and finding secret places in nature that feel like their yours alone.

Yes please I love this.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Inceltown posted:

It should be mentioned that not everything in Australia is black and white. It's just that a lot of Australians see things that way.

We got colour here in case you were worried about visiting.

I can't make out where the pocked structure ends and the hill in the background starts.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Anybody got any dracaenas that are flowering?

They have the most beautiful perfume of any flower. And there is so much that the fragrance can fill the house if the wind blows right.

The flowering stalk comes out at the start of winter for about a week. The flowers bloom only at night. I love love love them.

edit to add another picture.

huh fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 5, 2021

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Just 5 minutes ago there was a wallaby (smaller version of a kangaroo) in the front yard of the house across the road from me.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Ron Hitler-Barassi Peter Minack Vocals
Humphrey B. Flaubert Damian Cowell Drums, vocals
Jock Cheese John "Jack" Holt Bass, vocals, guitar
Eugene de la Hot-Croix Bun Eugene Cester Keyboards, vocals
Tokin' Blackman (first billed as Tony Coitus) James Paull Guitar
Leak Van Vlalen Sean Kelly Guitar 1982–1991

And I still don't know who they are.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I went to hogs breath once and I ended up with the wrong plate of food. Rather than let me keep it they took it from me and gave it to the person who actually ordered it. I then had to wait 20 minutes for them to bring me my meal while everyone else at the table had their food.

The guy pretending to use crutches in the movie There's Something About Mary has a Hog's Breath t-shirt on in (I think) his last scene.

Also, I've eaten there a couple of times and don't really remember much about the food.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
A couple of my friends loved the place so much they'd affectionately call it "Hoggies". Gah I couldn't understand any of that.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Do it ironically posted:

I’m enjoying this thread just want to say everything I know from Australia as a Canadian comes from watching old episodes of Bondi Rescue on Netflix and what I saw from crocodile hunter when I was younger

Most of my Canadian knowledge as a child came from watching The Beachcombers.

And Degrassi.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
A house around the corner from me has a bowerbird nest on top of the carport roof. It's the brown fuzzy thing under the tree limbs and above the blue roof. It is very unusual for this bird's bower to be somewhere other than the ground. They are also just unusual birds. They like to collect things. Depending on the bird/species/things they will collect white things or blue things or pink things.

This is what they look like up close (random photo):

And this is the bower (again, random photo):

And 3 minutes or so on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOfukj1aM1E

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Mx. posted:

Does anybody else remember heartbreak high

I remember really really loving it.

Also season 1 of The Secret Life of Us.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Post jpgs of these non-Australians.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
All I know is that the premier of my state Queensland banned Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors because of drug use. Hearing this as a primary school kid in the eighties made it the stuff of legend.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Caedus posted:

I've noticed Australia has an unusual respect for tradies. Is that real or put-on for comedic effect on the internet? I feel like I could get elected PM by walking around giving anyone in an orange vest a cold Gatoraide and calling them a legend.

I'm not sure how unusual it is but yes those with a trade a generally well respected. To be clear a tradie has done a 4 (or so) year apprenticeship - as opposed to a labourer.

But it wasn't always the case. I reckon about 20 years ago or so there was still the idea of a tradie being a bit of a dag, plumbers' crack showing etc. I remember there being a distinct shift in public perspective.

'Tradies get the ladies' wasn't always a saying.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Jestery posted:

I stood out in my shorts and tended to my Aussie native bonsai garden

God's country

I saw native bonsai on Gardening Australia and they were pretty awesome. I like growing natives in pots from seeds I find around the place. I also like bonsai. So this seems right in my wheelhouse. Please post jpgs.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Jestery posted:

https://youtu.be/92KR6s4YPMI

Have a video I took for the bonsai thread

I did like the look through your garden! The roots coming down over that half a brick is really nice. Also, my leopard trees have much smaller leaves than that. Like half a 5 cent piece size. They've got beautiful bark on them.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That Melbourne Sharpies video was a real eye opener. I'd never heard of them before.

It led me to this 3 min video of Sharpies vs Mods in Melbourne in the sixties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOyo_SPRbMM

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

This part is how I always imagined the monster parade in the Clive Barker story Skins of the Fathers.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Why didn't I click on this earlier.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Giant white bird of paradise flower during the day and night.

The width of the white petals is about 2 of my hand spans.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
And a re-post that is on-theme:

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Of the Bolwell Mk VII:

"...and a Holden 202 with triple SU carburettors, but it has got a Celica five-speed."

This was exactly what I had in a HX ute. It drove really smooth!

edit to add: it was even that same colour and had flutes in the guards as well.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

6. Ford AU Falcon
Whereas the HD Holden had an ugly front, the AU Falcon, had an ugly front, middle and rump. With front and rear lights looking like a sad clown, all of the models were grotesque, but the pick of the bunch was the base-model Forte with its Waterfall grille. It didn’t look anything like that, of course, but it did bear more than a passing resemblance to the gaping maw of a baleen whale.

Perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Farkin' look at this. If I'm reading this right (edit, I wasn't) it had a 302 Windsor in it. And then a 351 Cleveland!

huh fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 25, 2021