Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

abigserve posted:

If there's a worse Aussie slum than Dapto I don't know where it is

Literally all of Queensland.

Proof: I live there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Captain Blueballs posted:

Seppos are unable to handle musk sticks. They almost universally complain that they taste of perfume.

They used to be called Big Boss Cigars when I was a kid, which I feel is 100% appropriate for Australia at the time (early 90's). Pretty clever to remarket it as candy dynamite sticks instead IMO.

edit: Oh yeah that reminds me, we have these:

No joke, when I was a kid if you got caught eating these you'd be mercilessly teased for exactly what you would expect. Australia was reaaaaaaaaally homophobic back then (and still is).

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 25, 2021

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Inceltown posted:

They do taste like perfume but you should have grown up with them in the lolly bag sold by the tuck shop at the sports oval and thus have a fond memory of those pink atrocities.

Oh man you just reminded me, my mum volunteered at the tuckshop at my primary school from year 5 to 7 and it was the loving best thing ever being able to skip the long lines and walk right up the exitway to the counter, and just pick out whatever I wanted for free. Needless to say, the look I got from the people in line was hilarious. Suck it non-tuckshop-mum-havers.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Butcher birds are pretty cool, there's a few at my parent's place that fly in every few days that I feed a couple of grubs from the compost. Very rarely, a small fingernail-sized bit of mince. They'll fly in and land at the front door, and if they see me inside they'll fly in and land on my arm/shoulder and just hang out until I treat them to some easy snacks. Sometimes they'll bring in their new fledglings to show off.

They loving HATE kookaburras and pied butcher birds though, goddamn. If one of them shows up while the butchers are around they will non-stop swoop and strafe them until they leave. They're also leery of magpies, but don't seem to hate them enough to actually attack them.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
If it snags one and you're even remotely nearby when it feeds, take cover, they whip the grub's guts out with their incredibly powerful neck-flick and you WILL get grub guts splattering you at high speeds. It's absolutely brutal. Totally appropriate for a bird renowned for it's habit of impaling live prey on sharp branches, to store for later eating and make tearing apart things like large mice easier.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

SwissDonkey posted:

Got two magpies that come down for feeds in the backyard, can hear their babies peeping when they bring some meal worm back for them. They're a little early this year, but I'm looking forward to having a couple more inquisitive jerk birds to feed. They don't swoop me on foot but the male loving hounds me on my bike and will chase me 150m down the road, hitting my helmet with full force :allears:
As far as I'm concerned the good lad is protecting his babies with vigour, gently caress the haters. Magpies rule

Next time he swoops you with your helmet on, try offering some small bit of food. He might somehow think you're a different person with the helmet on. Or he's an arsehole, birds do be that way.