Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I decided to research on mythology behind "Reiko Kashima", and her backstory in Dandadan seems quite different from the Japanese urban myth. Reiko in the manga is about a girl who lost her loved ones in World War 2 and have her haunting an abandoned hospital area whereas the Japanese urban myth has her cut in half by a train and haunting the bathrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did you happen to find anything about her being the most powerful Yokai? Wondering if there's anything actually pertaining to that or if she's just the author's favorite.

No I did not. I do not believe Japanese urban mythology has a tier list of their apparitions.

Nevertheless, out of all the Japanese urban myths introduced in the manga, Reiko is perhaps the most changed, or the author has heard a more unique version of the myth.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
If I had a nickel for every time a "tall woman" was described in Japanese mythology, I would probably be rich.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
To this day, I am surprised by how many times the Count has showed up in fiction, though given the premise of Dandadan, I guess it should be a given that he would show up eventually.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I’d say either:

1) Class prez is a vampire.

2) Class prez reads a lot of YA light novels and wants a hot vampire boyfriend and is willing to hilariously misconstrue the situation in line with her fantasy

3) Class prez is actually a Vampire Hunter and part of some sort of Knights Templar of Van Helsing knockoff and will try to stake Okarun

I could see any of them really.

If it is (1) or (3), then that means Okarun is embodying vampiric traits. I do not recall the class rep seeing Okarun use his supernatural powers, though perhaps class rep has noticed that Okarun has gotten a lot of "attention" lately and believes that is central to being a vampire.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Fezz posted:

The class rep is on the stairs when Okarun is in his turbo mode moving boxes. They seemed pretty cavalier about busting out their powers this chapter.

Last Celebration posted:

he literally walked right by her while he was in Turbo Mode while lifting stuff a normal high schooler should probably have struggled somewhat with.

I just realize that the three boxes are considered heavy in context: I ignored it since everyone else was carrying 1-3 boxes and he was not using his superspeed, but I realized that everyone else were using the suit or a cart to move the same amount as Okarun. Nonetheless, if it is (1) and (3), then the vampiric trait is using supernatural strength to carry things on their backs and how Okarun looks in Turbo Form.

Saint Germain's powers are probably affecting the kids: some of them agreed enthusiastically to moving boxes, and they just blatantly used their powers at school to move heavy boxes.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I’d say either:

1) Class prez is a vampire.

2) Class prez reads a lot of YA light novels and wants a hot vampire boyfriend and is willing to hilariously misconstrue the situation in line with her fantasy

3) Class prez is actually a Vampire Hunter and part of some sort of Knights Templar of Van Helsing knockoff and will try to stake Okarun

I could see any of them really.

For the reasons I stated above, I feel like it was most likely going to be two.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Random sad backstory to make me shed a tear for vampire-delusion girl :smith: Well done

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Centzon Totochtin posted:

So was the ombusman being the spirt of a dead infant a mistranslation or maybe mai's mom was pregnant or there was another victim in the other vehicle?

I decided to read the raw chapter because of this. "Died in infancy" is not the correct localization/connotation, but it is still technically correct given the dictionary definition "the state or period of early childhood or babyhood". Japanese does state that the spirit's origin is from a young child or baby.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
So the real baggage has been president's inability to sing since the accident.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

GloomMouse posted:

I'm hearing this

Same

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Farg posted:

post literally one static image that suggests movement then.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
:discourse:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Lamebot posted:

shes totally gonna get claimed by st germain

My guess would be that he already claimed Okarun's balls.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I have this feeling that Rokuro likes Ayase

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

MachuPikacchu posted:

I appreciate that this chapter explained a discrepancy from an earlier chapter: people who can't sense the supernatural can't see Okarun when he's transformed, which explains why no one was shocked to see him carry boxes while transformed in an earlier chapter.

Regular people can see him, just not his transformed self. He looks normal, but the people around the school still would have noticed that Okarun is lifting a significant number of boxes.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
It seems multiple people can probably enter at once, but if you touch another person, you end up leaving the diorama. Though I wonder what its origin is. Surely Seiko knows why

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
It seems whoever created this game wanted to ensure all new players received some physical safety, so everyone gets a helmet.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I like how this game instantly gives you a helmet, and Zuma is not even wearing it. He has it dangling off his neck.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I wonder if it is Saint Germain who cannot enter into the game. Perhaps only humans can enter the game? Or maybe the mysterious figure who cannot enter is another powerful entity. In either case, why is this person interested in destroying the game? Does it harbor something useful? Why does Okarun's balls allow Unji to use his powers in a game that seems to prevent people from using their powers?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Perhaps all of the NPC are Shikigamis

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Neo_Crimson posted:

So if Zuma is the one who grabbed the ball, why do Momo's powers work again?

I have a feeling that this game runs with the idea of a "party". And since Momo is part of the same "party" as Zuma, she confers the same benefits. I do wonder what is up with the frogs; I thought they might be players as well, but they are Shikigamis. That is just my guess.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Haystack posted:

Just because they're Shikigamis doesn't mean that they aren't fully sapient and capable of a full and fulfilling life, making Momo and Zumi tragic murderers :v:

I am not saying that they are not sapient or sentient. Given that Zuma was tasked with destroying the game by a supernatural being who cannot enter the game, I would assume that the game prevents supernatural beings like Yokai or Shikigamis from entering the game; so if there are supernatural beings in the game, they would be native to the land of the game. It is that, or Zuma and Momo are being projected into the game land as Shikigamis as well. (Zuma and Momo's bodies are somewhere else.) Every player actually enters in as a Shikigami, and the frogs are players who entered in from another planet. Though that is my wild guess.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Assuming Saint Germain is the one who goaded Zuma into participating in the game, then he probably has some need for the Fairy-Tale card. Also, where is the class president during all of this?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Okarun both literally and metaphorically got his balls back!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

The junk collector posted:

Bit of a glow up. Okarun certainly hasn't been skipping leg day.

The power of getting both of your balls back

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

spookykid posted:

little guy's spirit is his yokai/powers source, just like Mai was Rin's, and he's had the powers even before the gold ball, he just needed the gold ball to use his powers in the diorama

Last panel:

Based on the comments in the previous chapters, his powers were dormant, and the ball awakened his powers whose origins are being explained in this chapter

Ytlaya posted:

The instant his mom took him to the theme park I was like "oh no..."
Yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

spookykid posted:

At the beginning of 137 it's kinda ambiguous, but it sounds to me like he already knew he had powers, or at least had some inkling, and then Saint Germain just said "here's how to get something that will let you destroy that world with them." but you might be right, I dunno.

What I am referring is chapter 132. Based on chapter 137, he seems aware of his powers, and it is what makes him subconsciously strong, but upon touching the ball two weeks ago, he truly awakened.