Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hi goons,

I think I’m too pessimistic about a lot of things. I consistently expect the worst as a way to shield myself against the vulnerability of a bad outcome, disappointment, or only allowing the opportunity to be pleasantly surprised instead of being let down. The problem, you could probably guess, is that it generates a ton of excess misery and it doesn’t take the sting out of the bad thing happening. And then when the good outcome happens, I spent a week and a half upset because I expected the worst. I think this is an unhealthy habit and yes I’m gonna bring this up to my therapist tomorrow.

By sharing this personal vulnerability, I hope GBS can provide insight and life experiences in addition to the best pants making GBS threads and cum jokes this subforum is famous for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010
Serious post: you have to basically rewire your brain and it’s a hard thing to do.

Also stop reading news. Just check it each morning so you stay informed but don’t follow it all day. Delete all social media.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
A couple of years ago I made a very deliberate decision to try to start looking at things optimistically, despite clinical depression and, at the time, an inability to let go of obsessing over climate doom. It's loving hard, but its possible. It's been working pretty well for me, personally.

Also I'd suggest doing psychedelics a couple of times a year. Enormously helpful perspective-reset.

e: Therapy! I've spent the last 6 months doing a consistent weekly therapy chat and it has been so loving helpful. Everybody in the world should do an hour of therapy with a professional once a week.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah. News is one factor and I have to take breaks to detox from it because I see it creating a lot of brokebrainedness.

But lately there’s also been personal events in my life which I was certain would turn out terribly, but they went so well that it defies belief, so I made myself miserable over something that didnt happen. I know that evolutionarily speaking, we’re kinda tilted towards the pessimism side, but this amount is unhealthy and counterproductive.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you have anxiety.

99% of the time that worst cast scenario isn't even close to true, but you're ruminating, spiraling, feeding it. it's a bad habit.

it's like a sick form of trying to be in control, to be "right." so and so is cheating on me right now right now, i know im not gonna get this job/gonna get fired/im terminally ill/oh my god what is this rash ahhh

and you just have to pause for a second, and Let Go. IF it is the worst case scenario, you gained nothing by ruminating over it, and it has stolen joy from you. deal with things as they Are, not as they Could be.

~namaste~

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the tempting thing about cynicism is that you can be correct or pleasantly surprised.

I have a couple friends who've done a really good job of changing their attitudes by... uh, changing their attitudes. it's a lot like any other self-improvement plan. you've got the idea. try to stay mindful. find some books or videos on positivity if that'll help.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
When I get down about climate doom i realize that In a few billion years it'll all be cold rocks in the void. Nihilism can be a warm blanket

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will become willfully delusional about the poo poo happening around me so I don’t get learning optimism op.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Do ayahuasaca with trained shamans in a good, safe setting

OR I'LL KICK YOUR BUTT

at nintendo

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I read a line somewhere (apparently a Beilby Porteus quote) that "He who foresees calamities, suffers them twice over." and that kinda resonated with me. I'm still half scoffing at it, but only half.

Rewiring your brain is the answer, but it's not much of a map.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Nihilism goes a long way op, nothing really matters so just enjoy the little time you have on this earth with the stuff and people you like

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Help other people and watch them succeed.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Help other people and watch them succeed.

No. :colbert:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Do drugs and practice orthodox nihilism

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
Never learn anything

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Colonel Cancer posted:

Do drugs and practice orthodox nihilism

lets just work video games into this and start a religion. gently caress it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Make clamdestine boyer take his meds and watch him succeed

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
gently caress all that positive bullshit. Get prescribed some brain pills and call it a day.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Seriouspost: telling your brain to get bent and repeating good things to replace the bad, along with therapy. I bully my depression, at times. "You. Yeah, you, on the couch in my brain. Pick up your loving mess, and get the gently caress out. gently caress you."

Also finding other adults that help build each other up instead of tearing down, even as a joke. In not saying use your buds as therapists, more like buddies you might do your hobbies with, even if it's just watching movies online and shooting the poo poo. We're social critters, and the more you encourage others, you'll feel better, too. In turn, they do the same. (Encouraging doesn't mean telling you you're always right, or letting you engage in harmful behavior.)

Goonpost: nihilism, lol. Worked for centuries!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

What I did and what worked really, surprisingly well for me was to just stop interacting with things that stress me out. i barely follows politics, i read climate news once a week for 10 minutes, i cut out some people that were not healthy for me and instead i make a conscious effort to do things that I enjoy instead. Also therapy, mindfulness and remembering that 'the past is gone and not real anymore, it can't hurt me. the future hasn't happened yet and is not real either, it can't hurt me' (paraphrased) also helped.

After a few months my brain rewired itself pretty effectively and I'm now ignorant and happy, as God intended.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Make clamdestine boyer take his meds and watch him succeed

Yeah after years of high chinese courts telling me I can’t own property because I’m black and retarded somebody’s gotta do something to knock my 190 IQ down a peg, like horse tranquilizer. That’s real funny too dude because nurses do follow me around when I go out, stocked with horse tranquilizer. We can’t just let this poo poo die somebody gotta keep bringing it back up.

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 25, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Lol

I'm sorry dude, really, my bad

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Embrace the void

Nothing matters

Accept nihilism and be free

We live in a simulation, everything you see and experience is, at its base, ones and zeros

There is nothing we can do but embrace fate's sweet, sweet bosom

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

low key sex master posted:

There is nothing we can do but embrace fate's sweet, sweet bosom

are you telling me to motorboat the void? cool

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

old beast lunatic posted:

are you telling me to motorboat the void? cool

When the abyss stares back at you, motorboat those fine rear end void titties

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Lol

I'm sorry dude, really, my bad

If it ain’t that it’s chemically induced seizures or heart attacks or just straight up zyklon B so keep repeating the funny haha poo poo like it doesn’t matter, by all means. Because normally I’d just.. and not think twice.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

If it ain’t that it’s chemically induced seizures or heart attacks or just straight up zyklon B so keep repeating the funny haha poo poo like it doesn’t matter, by all means. Because normally I’d just.. and not think twice.

Nah, you're right, thats hosed up. Apologies.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It’s cool, people are curious about what’s going on. People wanna find out by putting themselves in that position. You won’t ever find out in that position. You might try just talking to people like human beings and assume they’ll tell you truth rather than creating artificial scenarios.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
smoke weed. get high. drat, now yourr high. eat chips. burp some. believe in an inevitable spiritual field that guides all men to desire greatness for their kin and selves.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I got an idiea, gimme 10% of your salary and all will be revealed when u croak. pinky swear

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
cocaine + alcohol OP

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I tried to watch the mindfullness stuff and it doesn't work. It mostly pisses me off because it all seems like bullshit.

It feels cult like to me.

I would rather learn Buddhism, which is what mindfullness rips off.

But anyway what it amounts to is the world is horrible, we're trapped in living meat that gets sick and dies eventually, the only way to deal with it is to adopt insane or delusional thinking.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Delete all social media and don’t visit sites like youtube if you are watching any kind of content that stresses you out or makes you angry/pessimistic. All the social media companies and Google figured out a while ago the way to get the most views and “engagement” is to feed people increasingly extreme content that makes them mad, scared, pessimistic, hateful, etc. This is something news media has known for years as well so avoid following the news all day long.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

embrace darkness, embrace death

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Take the bad thing you’re expecting and expect the opposite instead

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Turn that frown, upside down, until you’re a fuckin clown.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

at risk of sounding like a loving edgelord my meds just make me feel numb more than anything
will probably speak to my therapist about that the next time i see them

that is if i can beat my social anxiety into submission enough to tell them in the first place

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It’s cool, people are curious about what’s going on. People wanna find out by putting themselves in that position. You won’t ever find out in that position. You might try just talking to people like human beings and assume they’ll tell you truth rather than creating artificial scenarios.

Okay I’ll bite, what’s going on because I can’t make out anything from these posts

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Spend like an hour a day getting physically tired. I ride my bike or go to the gym. It's hard to think bad thoughts when you're sore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

hbag posted:

that is if i can beat my social anxiety into submission enough to tell them in the first place

telling them is how they get you, man