Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
W2G, this has been a fantastic LP. You've done a great job keeping the play-by-play of a visually unappealing game clear and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

well done, this has been a great lp

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Thirded! Thanks for showing it off. I really like the charming little animations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

This was great! Do you want to give us any final thoughts on comparing this to later nintendo wars games?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

W2G, this has been a fantastic LP. You've done a great job keeping the play-by-play of a visually unappealing game clear and interesting.
:emptyquote:

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Tulip posted:

This was great! Do you want to give us any final thoughts on comparing this to later nintendo wars games?

I did put in my final list of "things that are different" in the credits update, but didn't really opine about it I guess. Having every map start with no units, and no ability to build units anywhere but right at your HQ, really makes the overall experience kind of a drag compared to later games. These bonus maps as hard as they were in the initial stages were actually the most fun. However the enemy phase in particular is a lot slower than I remember it being in later games. I really like the aesthetic though and it's clear that the charm from the later games really started all the way back with the original.

The combat and mechanics are also pretty solid and don't have some of the bloat from the later games, though I could have really used the combat preview sometimes. The lack of a first strike advantage makes for an entirely different experience; I"m not sure it's necessarily worse, since it encourages more planning in unit choice and placement to maximize the combat advantages of each unit rather than just hitting first.

I do still have one more update, I'll put it up in a couple more days.

cosmicPostman
Oct 9, 2018

Hats are pretty cool, right guys
It's been a fantastic read, really enjoyed experiencing one of the older games, especially with your skill and commentary. Excellent work!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DKII posted:

I did put in my final list of "things that are different" in the credits update, but didn't really opine about it I guess. Having every map start with no units, and no ability to build units anywhere but right at your HQ, really makes the overall experience kind of a drag compared to later games. These bonus maps as hard as they were in the initial stages were actually the most fun. However the enemy phase in particular is a lot slower than I remember it being in later games. I really like the aesthetic though and it's clear that the charm from the later games really started all the way back with the original.

The combat and mechanics are also pretty solid and don't have some of the bloat from the later games, though I could have really used the combat preview sometimes. The lack of a first strike advantage makes for an entirely different experience; I"m not sure it's necessarily worse, since it encourages more planning in unit choice and placement to maximize the combat advantages of each unit rather than just hitting first.

I do still have one more update, I'll put it up in a couple more days.

Yea the lack of first strike advantage feels dramatic to me. I wound up thinking a lot about how that would affect Mechs in particular, since I found in AW1 (the only one I played) that mechs were difficult to fit into a strategy since you were paying a pretty big premium over infantry for an offensive advantage that you were very very rarely able to take advantage of.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Tulip posted:

Yea the lack of first strike advantage feels dramatic to me. I wound up thinking a lot about how that would affect Mechs in particular, since I found in AW1 (the only one I played) that mechs were difficult to fit into a strategy since you were paying a pretty big premium over infantry for an offensive advantage that you were very very rarely able to take advantage of.

Yup mechs are way more viable here if you can park a bunch of them on cities/mountains. Cities in particular since they can heal up some damage each turn. They were key in the final regular map (Mirror) as Blue, taking a lot of hits in enemy territory that were way more expensive for the enemy than for me. And of course you saw what a nothing-but-mechs strategy can do in the Volcano map as Red.

I missed the CO powers though; a lot of them are overpowered but they add some variety map-to-map.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, you giving the total play times really highlighted how much the game drags with only building at your home base. That's a huge uptick in time compared to similarly sized maps by the time the series reached the gba

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 55: Blue Moon Credits

Music: Unknown Theme D

That track isn't unknown anymore - it plays for the credit roll when winning as Blue Moon!

Like the rest of the campaign, everything about the Blue Moon credits is reversed. The buildings are blue, the sky is red, and units enter from the right!

We still have a dog running across, but instead of a balloon there's a superhero flying across the sky?!

A second superhero flies by. And a crying baby in a carriage? Blue Moon's credits are wild.

After the copter, lander, and battleship go by, we get a formation of three more superheroes.

The sequence ends with the infantry catching its ride this time, though maybe it wishes it hadn't as a shark somehow chases the sub out of the water. I can't think of a better way to end the LP for this silly game, so I'll leave it right there! Thanks to everyone who stuck with this long journey through the weird history of a fan-favorite series!

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Excellent LP dude!

I made a new Advance Wars megathread, and linked your LP in the OP:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4002244

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

I'm late posting this link, but I did go get this thread archived:

https://lparchive.org/Famicom-Wars/

I've rotated back to a visual novel LP but may try and hit up the next game in the series down the road. *looks it up* ...Game Boy Wars? I can't imagine the AI getting any better on the Game Boy...