Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
They're on YouTube I think. Also random torrent sites if you want higher quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

It's eternally disappointing that the US dropped the ball so hard on its attempt and then the CW tried to just import the UK version and just stopped trying two episodes in

What? I didn't even know the CW version was a thing. I can't even work out if I can watch it in the UK without messing with a VPN or something.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Oh. That's dumb.

Why does American suck at Taskmaster?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I honestly think episode 7 might be one of the best TM episodes ever.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Maybe import a few over from Oz.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Angella is the reason I watched Taskmaster NZ, I stumbled across a video compilation of her prize task entries and it was enough to get me to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAJ0S8-enE8

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

"It is orange" had me sidesplitting.

Jesus wept. It just sounded like one of those things you say before your brain kicks into gear and stops you.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I watched TMUS when it came out and I'd say I was surprised at how bad it was, but I've seen Payne so I know how bad the US can be at converting UK comedy.

I also have all eight episodes saved in 720p format and I'd be willing to share them somewhere, but, you know...:filez:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I just looked out of curiosity and all 8 episodes of TMUS were uploaded to YouTube 3 months ago. Unsurprisingly there's hardly any views on the videos.

Edit: Upon further investigation it appears that "This video contains content from ViacomCBS, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds". if I try and access it from a US IP. Probably accessible using an Invidious instance though.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 18, 2022

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Have you heard of Invidious? Lets you watch YouTube using a different interface. Also sometimes lets you watch videos that are blocked in your country or are age restricted.

https://docs.invidious.io/Invidious-Instances.md

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
It does feel like the kind of thing you sign up to once and then rip everything from. From a quick look they're using Vimeo to host the video, so hopefully they'll have decent subtitle support.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Why Reggie Watts? He's got nothing to do with Taskmaster. Nothing.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
And, ironically, it isn't available in the UK because they want you to use their own streaming site.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yes, there's uBlock Origin which is the "proper" one. I don't remember the specifics, I think the original uBlock was sold on or something and whoever bought it doesn't do a good job or something, I just know people say to use Origin.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The TMNZ task writers are evil

I will never get over the last task from the first season, "Make the best desert".

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I can't imagine what'll happen when #1 and #3 get going in the same room together. As usual I've heard of #5 but don't know where from and #2 and #4 I've never heard of and can barely say their names.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Leatherhead posted:

Yeah I'm not sure if he'll be an Ed Gamble try-hard or the posh person they make look as dumb as possible.

Mae Martin will be interesting. They fell apart on Canada's version of LoL and was the first person eliminated. Not sure how they'll do with TM pressure.
They came out non-binary last April by the way.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

It’s blocked in the UK. :(

Invidious to the rescue!

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=paxFZLYJwaY

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
See if this works, wouldn't be surprised if it gets pulled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb60rANE5Yw

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Do they even have Legoland in Zimbabwe? I assume they have something better that he'd just spend the day talking about.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
TBH I just thought the skirt tugging was because she's been wearing really short skirts and was afraid she was showing off her muff.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Phigs posted:

I can't find TMNZ S2E2 though. :(

There used to be a wiki on Reddit that had links to most of the episodes for all the variants. I'm sure you can find it through googling.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Creature posted:

Fern Brady has been an absolute joy to watch this series. I hope the Taskmaster bump takes her on to bigger things.

I'd never heard of her before this series, but the way she's been and her openness on Twitter has really endeared me to her, so much so that I've just booked tickets to go see her next year.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Apparently I'm an outlier in being the only one to torrent it? I don't even have to think about it as Sonarr deals with it for me.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Feel Good is rather good, I watched it after the line up was leaked in here a while back. Jenny Eclair is a really old comedian, I feel like she was one of those really vulgar ones like Jo Brand but I could be making that up.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Dear lord, Tom literally crying in the rose task. May be one of my favourite moments in Taskmaster history.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I've warmed to lesser Tom quite quickly, having the assistant be a sadist really works.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
If it wasn't so far away I would definitely go, but its not worth 7 hours of driving for a show that's presumably only a few hours long.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

reality_groove posted:

I really appreciate Greg and Alex respecting Mae's they/them pronouns.

My girlfriend said this, and also that its sad that it even needs to be pointed out. Also I'd totally forgotten Mae was Canadian and it threw me when they started speaking.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Its a weird thing to keep secret really, it doesn't detract from the show. Knowing who is going to be on has no bearing on it as its all basically random anyway. I actually like knowing, finding out Mae Martin was on from a "leak" meant I could go and watch their show Feel Good, which was in fact very good. It made me want to watch Taskmaster more, not less.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Felt bad for being so down on Mae Martin, so checked out their stand up special on Netflix. It's great!

The TV show they did was good too, it was literally Feel Good.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Has there ever been a "bad" season of Taskmaster (UK only, I'm trying to forget the US one existed)? Everyone seems to have a season that "isn't great", but I don't think there's ever been a truly awful, unwatchable season. There's still great moments even in the seasons people don't like.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Per posted:

Shouldn't Pearl the Teenager have scored how cool she thought they were? How would Jeremy know?

Yeah, that kind of annoyed me, but others have said the scoring in NZ is just weird and different to other versions of TM.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
What is wrong with Lucy? It can't be an act, but I don't know how anyone can be like that.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

the contestant currently in last also asked if there's a prize for last and alex referenced people always asking for "loser of losers"

And this is happening when?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Alex has always said he's not keen on a losers series as it would encourage badness in the wrong way.

Don't just choose people who did the worst in their season, pick people who didn't win but you know will be funny/insane.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Check the history of the taskmaster wiki page if you want to know the s17 lineup.

I honestly don't know any of them apart from one who I sort of know from the odd appearance on 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Valentin posted:

phone use literally just happened in s16e2 with susan just straight up googling widdicombe's ancestor, and the context of that use seems to imply some degree of phone use is expected or accounted for because i can't imagine how you get that clue otherwise unless he's somehow incorporated that fact into his standup or whatever

I have a feeling that they were both on Who Do You Think You Are? which is a show about celebrity family history, I guess it must have been mentioned that they're related.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Fatty posted:

So what was Alex's QR code in the intro?

https://www.taskmastersbirthday.com/

Edit: I think the dumbest thing about it is the fact that Greg's birthday is in May. No one's going to remember that site exists by that point.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Lugubrious posted:

Out of curiosity, I checked when this series' studio parts were filmed to see if maybe this episode was actually filmed on his birthday: it was filmed from the 2nd-12th of May, and Greg's birthday is May 14th. The absolute pointlessness of it is hilarious to me. How would anyone in the studio have even scanned it to begin with, in order to maybe remember to check it a few days later?

Oh there's another level of pointlessness to it, the domain was only registered on 10 October this year.