Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think it's more about recognizing that there is morse code in the first place, and then they could translate it on their phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

You're right that Greg is helped by having a lot of people he's friends/friendly with as contestants and he's very good at busting out his teacher persona at the right time. The times that James Acaster and Nish Kumar were pulled aside for a talking-to are both hilarious highlights for me.
I'm pretty sure in James' bit he is convinced he's finally mouthed off to the wrong person and they're gonna step outside, it's fantastic

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

God imagine Richard having to talk to a stranger like the Swedish guy

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure the larger man is gonna have to take me aside to the back of the studio

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They'll assemble the teams according to schedules, too, Alex said as much in one episode (S5 or S6 based on what I've been watching lately).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Mel is probably the biggest name internationally just because of Bake Off.
Noel's got to be up there as well for the Boosh or more specifically Old Gregg.

e: ... also Bake Off come to think of it :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just noticed the chili sauce. That stuff is not to be taken lightly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wait what this is out already

Seriously makes my day

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They're so close to nachos conceptually you ought to get points for saying cornflakes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When Alan came out I thought "oh please let them have paired him with the correct person" and then Victoria was there and I thought "yessss", I know it's also down to schedules but still.

They're editing the ad breaks out of the youtube uploads. As in obviously they don't have the TV ads but they also don't have the studio or filmed intros and outros. In a way that's good, in another way I feel like I'm missing out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What has Britannia come to when you can't have your mate's knob out for a laugh

surely fixing that is worth some shortages of basic goods

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Belated comment on episode 2 but "working out Alex' tricks" reminded me: thought it was a shame no one just took their camera helmet off when they worked it out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bit disappointed in the comparative lack of destructive energy, I was waiting for someone to get a long stake and pin the soccer ball in place.

Come to think of it, what if someone had relocated the spot to inside the goal?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Or open, as it were.

e: yesterday I went to have new glasses fitted, they examined my eyes with a thing and at one point asked me to keep them open for as long as I could, and my mind immediately went to a very competitive place

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 28, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Watching this show after two episodes of Squid Game gives it a whole different vibe

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alan visibly resigning to his fate as he realized immediately Victoria was enthusiastically heading down the wrong path :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can't stop picturing Ardal O'Hanlon doing tasks in character as Dougal. I know perfectly well he won't, and that's a good thing, but I also know this is almost certainly by design, and if anything it's setting me up for disappointment.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That will all have been in the UKTV thread I think, the separate Taskmaster thread is a relatively new institution.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nono: they need to be the three person team together with Iain.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Been catching up on the NZ Taskmaster, bit of a rough start over the first few episodes of S1 as everyone figures things out but once they get it straight it's a really good version. Leigh had to grow on me the most but the combination of supreme confidence and consistently failing to understand the tasks is a winner. Just not in terms of scoring. And I don't think anyone's ever quite set the tone like Angella in the very first prize task.

David's gonna be season 2's MVP isn't he

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Apparently he served as a kind of task tester for season 1. There's a few hours of potentially great footage lost to the production process.

e: the way the brussel sprout task played out was amazing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been trying to figure out how to describe Atze Schröder specifically in this context but

Sereri posted:

(imagine boring Ali G)
yeah

I don't know German showbiz very well but I can't think of anyone who could do it, or rather I absolutely could but you can't really get 90s Harald Schmidt and Herbert Feuerstein back.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd quite like to see that with the Katering Show ladies involved. Not sure whether as Taskmaster/Assistant or competitors but either way.

e: to be fair they're the only Australian comedians I know apart from Adam Hills and Tim Minchin and if anything TMUK would probably poach those two

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 18, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think I'm starting to like Paul Williams' assistant persona slightly better than Alex'

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The peak of Taskmaster UK dick joke outtakes is Taskmaster NZ's raunchiness baseline

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I suppose we have had both Lou considering impregnating herself for a task and David Baddiel deliberating whether to put a chickpea up his arse or balance it on his cock. They'd get on well with the kiwis.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

After exhausting Taskmaster NZ I've started watching Kongen Befaler, it's pretty fun too. Feels like the Norwegians tend to take a very hands-on approach to tasks and like their power tools. The studio atmosphere seems nice too, Greg Davies' merciless bullying is starting to feel like the unique approach out of the various Taskmasters.

At one point early in an episode I was thinking about how part of why Taskmaster works is that the tasks are arbitrary and meaningless and no reason is ever given for them, and just then they suddenly framed a task with a backstory ("the Tasmkaster's daughter has a birthday, set the table from behind the fence") and it felt super weird and old-fashioned and just odd.

wait what these are the What Does The Fox Say guys, what the gently caress is going on

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kinda blows my mind that Johnny Vegas has a BA in ceramics, all I can ever picture is him prostrate and weeping in front of a kiln

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Get up out of the armchair. Fastest wins."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wonder what it's like to be the one person in any given Footlights class photo that didn't make it big in comedy

all switching through channels in the evening going "meh, that's Richard; eh, there's David again; gently caress sake, Richard and David"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Heck that could be someone's season gimmick. A lot of candidates try to set themselves up as the clever loophole finder, some time someone's got to actively say I will do this within not the letter, but the spirit of the parameters set by the task, entirely in good faith.

which, all I can see when I think about it is Richard Ayoade

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I just want a series where they team up Iain, James Acaster and Rhod

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

When I first watched it, Joe Thomas seemed really depressing, but now that I know more about him, he's actually just extremely weird.
I looked him up on Wikipedia

quote:

After graduating from university, Thomas took to acting professionally, and his parents have accepted and are not ashamed of his choice of career.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure they've done B) on at least one other occasion where they had a red herring setup task and a "real" one based on it, although details elude me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i agree - there is a hesitancy in american television for comedians to embarass themselves to the level necessary for something like taskmaster. like in japan
I was unable to read past this because I started to picture, and am still picturing, Taskmaster Japan

It's hosted by Downtown and it is for all intents and purposes Gaki No Tsukai

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Superrodan posted:

I've been working on my own version of Taskmaster with some friends (posted about it a while ago in here and got some good suggestions). One of our tasks is a weird one involving a "Jury" and it's supposed to have a significant number of people that don't know anyone involved. If there's anyone in this thread that wants to be a part of it, you'd need about 15 minutes or so and a gmail account (to fill out a google form). Just let me know and I can DM you details.

I am known as a particularly harsh judge of just about anything

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Somehow it worked for Jo. It's a subtle difference between "not giving a poo poo about doing the task correctly" and "not giving a poo poo about the task."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wonder how many points someone would have gotten if they high fived Alex twice in a row, becoming e.g. the third and the fourth high fiver.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For how omnipresent Phill Jupitus seemed to be on panel shows, he's been almost conspicuously not on Taskmaster.

Rachel Riley could be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wonder how James May or Richard Hammond would do. Probably be a lot like Kongen Befaler.