Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Taskmaster tangential but I just listened to Victoria Corren Mitchell absolutely break James Acaster on Off Menu and that was a joy.

Victoria's explanation about how she'd always bring sandwiches in her purse to any dinner party (so she can sneak off to the bathroom and eat them if she hates the food) basically explains her entire taskmaster appearance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

drunken officeparty posted:

I watched the US version as it came out. It was just dull. And each episode was 20 minutes long.

yeah fitting it into half an hour killed any chances of it working

also i don't think lisa lampanelli's 'queen of mean' schtick really fit the tone

eke out fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 18, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ0Di0IX_Kw

demi and/or tom would bring the david correos style freak energy, it would be good. feels like no reason australia couldn't pull it off

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 19, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

paul owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcqO8-uLxiw

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Alhazred posted:

The no blinking conteset: In the Norwegian version one of the contestant didn't blink for several hours and was really angry when he learned that the the second best didn't blink in half an hour.

it's incredible how like every norwegian contestant did as good or better than rhod lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Heavy_D posted:

Even though it's a tiny little thing in the grand scheme of things, I really think the title sequence to the first series of KB is one of the greatest opening montages. Almost every half second cut is funny or intriguing - I never fail to laugh at the Wendy house trying to board a bus.

i legit think Maria Stavang is one of the funniest chaotic fuckup competitors of any season, up there with David Correos

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Heavy_D posted:

I just rewatched the episode where she spends the entire 200 Kroner budget for a task on waffles, and still arguably comes third. Although it's pretty heretical to bring back contestants for a second series, Maria is the most easily forgivable.

the funniest thing to me, which is apparently not a gimmick at all, was her just earnestly eating everything she could in each task like she was starving, even when it actively hurt her chances

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

guz's descriptions of his fellow contestants on today's podcast:

morgana: cool drama teacher that lets you do mdma
alan: deputy headmaster who really takes an interest in students
desiree: career counselor who makes you really want to get one
victoria: teacher so strict you're afraid she'll have you deported

Alhazred posted:

Just wait till you get to Amir Asgharnejad.

i'm halfway through his season, he's great

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Anyone know where I can find full episodes of the Mitchell show, Outsiders, in the US?

I've seen a couple of quick youtube compilation videos but nothing otherwise.

r/panelshow has links if you search for it, I believe

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

no taskmasters under 6'3, imho

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NowonSA posted:

I'm a big Conan fan so I may have some bias here, but yeah thinking about it him as the Taskmaster and Richter in the on-screen assistant role seems like it'd work really well.

No matter what shape it takes, I feel like Taskmaster's going to keep being enough of an international success that someone in the U.S. is going to take another swing at it, even if it's basically the same concept but with just enough new wrinkles that they don't need to pay for the rights to adapt the show.

South Korea has tons of shows that are very similar to that Taskmaster vibe, and I feel like that audience would get on board with that vibe faster than American audiences, so I also wouldn't be surprised if we get a formal SK version of the show at some point.

yeah Conan is a weirdly good choice because in addition to meeting the minimum height requirements, he's also pretty prickly and willing to pretend to be hostile

if someone in America really tries to do a really proper go of it, i would not be surprised to see Alex being the assistant again

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

judy has real guz khan trying to justify himself energy, i love it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Piell posted:

Anyone remember a task from a previous season that the stray duck could have been from? Although I suppose it might have been an unaired bit

ed says in the podcast that he did that task in champion of champions and they never aired it, reworked it, then forgot at least one of the ducks they hid in that room lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

matt walsh is a really good core cast member for this kinda thing, also looked at a trailer and there's Julie Klausner and Chris Gethard in some of the other episodes, seems promising

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

might wanna google thomas middleditch

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ayo edebiri is basically a dream US taskmaster guest imo, based on her podcast performances

really there's more than enough people for infinite seasons of a US taskmaster solely within the LA improv/standup/podcast scene

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Grant O'Brien would be a great Assistant. He has no shame so the contestants could rope him into doing the weirdest poo poo, he's an excellent improviser and can write very strange improv prompts.

random twitch personalities are objectively more famous than anyone in the CH crew, i pay them to watch their content but unless some American taskmaster was insanely low budget no one would ever consider them

but if Sam made a show legally distinct from Taskmaster but with a similar concept, it would be good

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 19, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

5 points for the mirror? lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's a shame taskmaster appears to not have any actual budget to temporarily fly people in, considering it can be done in like a week of shooting tasks then a later week of live shows

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

you can also just register a random UK address with channel 4 then use a VPN for the UK, was surprisingly painless

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

turns out there's a lot of comedians in this country, too

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i don't think it's worth worrying about the most famous american comedians because they are orders of magnitude more famous than most anyone else that's been on taskmaster (with maybe noel/mel excepted, given how insanely huge GBBO is) and you'd probably never get them anyways.

it doesn't matter though because america has an unbelievable number of working comedians that do silly embarrassing things, such as improv comedy, all the time. and there're plenty of slightly less obscure career comedians that would be great and are already doing dumb poo poo twitch streaming or podcasting in their free time (e.g.: huebel, scheer, tompkins, etc etc)

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 2, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the girls team absolutely running 100% with the insane bird theme was perfect

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol sophie's prize task

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

great podcast ep where bridget does not seem to understand how to respond to ed saying hello

final task was genuinely one of the worst performances ever lol, you can see just how frazzled they all are, it was great

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

LesterGroans posted:

The ten second thing probably got them too in their own heads, but 70+ questions and not guessing Quentin as soon as you find out its Q are unforgivable. Hilarious task.

yeah it's absolutely a "this is the very end of a shooting day and they're all fried" thing

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

So very much agreed. I love all of them yet, those two leave me completely defenseless. I can not not-laugh or be dramatically enthralled when they do something

the combination of Ardal's "gently caress it, whatever" attitude in tasks with his rabid competitiveness in the studio is one of the funniest things in Taskmaster

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"Show off" is a great one

e: also channel 4 not so interested in showing the reference image for L'Origine du Monde lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 27, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

gotta be this:

https://twitter.com/mattarm41/status/1532406329280716801

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Great ep.

This show is really on such a good run

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like when they wrote that task they assumed people would give up faster than they did, hence the "oh god seriously do not watch this task it's the worst we've ever done" warnings when it turned out everyone was a lot more committed than they anticipated.

i feel like the main reason it didn't get cut is that they felt too bad for Sophie. i bet if someone had not endured that long and everyone just had a bad time without much distinction, it wouldn't have made the edit

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

you put an aubergine in my mouuuthhh

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol sophie on the podcast saying that the tongue challenge, on the bright side, resulted in lots of interested DMs from queer women

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The World Inferno posted:

As someone that tried a VPN for the official site, they seem to have a pretty good blocker on that.

Yeah, VPNing ceased working for me this season as well but the panelshow reddit always has it up shortly anyways

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I do not think this series has been living up to the standard S2 set, but tbh that's an insanely high expectation because S2 was better than anything the OG show has done. I've been having fun regardless.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

really strong episode, i feel like paul/co are doing some of the best task ideas of anyone

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I really thought with the handwritten stuff/lack of seal, there was some fundamental twist -- like that the taskmaster's assistant had overstepped his bounds within the fiction and you weren't supposed to give him money, or there'd be other followup nonsense along those lines

though "taskmaster chiding contestants for giving the assistant money" thing would be more greg/alex's character dynamic than jeremy/paul

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 18, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I wonder if that was the original plan, or something else, but because no one really figured it out they just went with it as an actual task?

yeah I bet there was something there that got scrapped or didn't make the edit

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the show has been great and he's perfectly fine, i'm sure some person could be better but i guarantee you lots of people would be worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i don't know most of those folks but Mae Martin owns and feels like someone who might be really good at this