Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The fact that he brought an actual Greens MP for the prize task, and not a cardboard cutout or something like that, is what really makes this version of the show undeniably Kiwi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The World Inferno posted:

The latest episode of NZ Taskmaster has solidified this as up there with season 7 and 11. The tasks are fantastic, and the cast is solid stuff. There's a task in this one to "Float this brussel sprout down from this balcony" that might be an all time favorite.

If you're in the states, the two episodes out now are on Youtube.

The only weak point is the guy they have playing the Task Master, who just kind of seems like an rear end in a top hat without the self-deprecation / school teacher charm Davies conveys.

Greg tends to give more attention to 'problem pupils' and to his good friends. Jeremy Wells seems to be trying to stick closer to the fictional character of taskmaster (an egomaniacal tyrant who forces comedians to do his quirky bidding), and treat everyone with the same amount of mild contempt. Greg would definitely paid more attention to the brilliant madness of David Correos inviting other contestants to pile on.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

sebzilla posted:

Does David Mitchell count as an elder statesman of British comedy now? Bloody hell.

He's going to be 69 next year.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Guy is a more of a calculating type of maniac, always very deliberate in his outbursts of lunacy, while David is chaotic in a child-like way. Both are fantastic in their own right.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I really appreciated the novelty of the sabotaging mechanic in a team task. Probably the best way to balance a 3 v 2 task, although you can't really use it twice.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
David Correos's growing agitation throughout the series was my favourite part, and the final episode had a fantastic pay off to that plotline. Really hope New Zealand has enough comedians and TV personalities for at least a couple more years.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hugh Dennis was in Fleabag, which is a huge international hit judging by the internet buzz. Maybe they'll get Phoebe Waller-Bridge someday.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A fantastic first episode of the series. Everyone has their owm prominent quirks that Greg can latch on to in various ways, and their approach to tasks is equally diverse so far.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The 'food' tasting task wasn't particularly original, but the cast managed to elevate it to the highlight of the episode for me.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Too many tasks with complex scoring in this series, I feel. The tasks themselves may be entertaining to watch, but all the talk about different parameters that affect the score puts a bit of a damper on the pace of the show.

On the plus side, I really enjoy Victoria's gradual resignation to the nature of the show. I expect her to either completely submit to Greg's authority or start launching into incoherent shouting bouts over scoring very soon.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Interviews with contestants are back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOkSpwqyVQA

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
As someone who also can't ride a bike, I fully empathise with Victoria, but at the same time, like Greg, I hoped for more hopeless floundering. Loved the little special task element in the team task.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Cake-sitting is back with a vengeance. And so is Alex's Dance theme, which is absolutely brilliant. The ball-passing task was a bit of a let-down. The task itself was phrased awkwardly, both teams had very straightforward approaches to the task, just nothing special, save for Alan's inexplicable exhaustion. The rest was fantastic.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Another Google ad. I wonder who gets more publicity out of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9uojXIxGOI

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Unkempt posted:

If anyone hasn't seen the norwegian 'don't blink' task, it's pretty amazing and it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3yhEZX93s

2 hours 47 minutes. Not sure he's actually human.

Amazing Finnish gibberish there. Something you won't hear on other Task Masters.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Unkempt posted:

Apart from the Finnish one.

I've seen it, and they use intelligible Finnish words, as far as I could tell.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

It's also probably edited for comedic effect (shock and horror at being lied to) considering the unofficial world record is somewhere around 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.

He might have cheated while in the car.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Best prize task in ages...

I can't decide if Victoria's prize was supposed to be an honest attempt at a nice gift from a person who is not particularly interested in sports, or a calculated passive-aggressive attack on Alan. It's perfect either way.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MikeJF posted:

I imagine if she was a serious contender he might but she was clearly going for a one because she knows she's lost the show so badly so she might as well have fun at Alan's expense.

Pretty sure they prepare all prizes well ahead of time. With how studio segments are filmed, there's barely any time for course correction.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I feel a bit sorry for Victoria, because she is always very serious when she tries to explain her bizarre choices, and when Greg invariably calls her reasoning rubbish, she seems legitimately crestfallen. Made it so much more satisfying to see her succeed with the latest prize task.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Now that's dedication.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The combination of simplicity and effectiveness of a giant balloon popping made it my favourite studio task this series.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
See, this is why I'm convinced her Man U season ticket gift to Alan was genuine.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

its beside the point but surely theres no reason to stay sat down in the studio task after everyone else has sat up? Theres no benefit to cutting it really close if you've already beaten everyone else but in all three rounds the last person did it and Desiree even through away winning the round because of it

I'm reasonably sure they couldn't see each other.

E: Were they also wearing headphones? I don't think anyone tried to fake pop, which would be a good tactic, if they could hear each other.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 13, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
*Cold drat

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That final task was amazing. Morgana did a very recognisable impression of Victoria with just one bird chirp! A very well earned victory for Morgana, she had a wonderful mix of genuine competitiveness, out of the box thinking, and simply being immensely funny doing anything.

itry posted:

The ribena task seemed really dumb to me. I was sure anyone could drink something in that way. Apparently not.

I'm not a drinker, but I've tried it just now with a glass of cold Ribena, and it's really easy to do if you use your tongue to create a seal between gulps.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
But then again, you call yourself Joyless Jester.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Escobarbarian posted:

Is Taskmaster NZ s1 worth watching even if it isn’t an all-timer like 2?

It's rougher around the edges, but still worth a watch.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pablo Bluth posted:

A Tory might be the thing that puts me off a series of TM.

It's political correctness gone mad, they have to invite everyone just to fill some quota.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When you google Direktor Svemira, you get almost nothing but videos of Lidija Bacic Lille on the show. One of them is called 'Lidija Bacic Lille - LEGS (in Taskmaster) "Direktor Svemira"', and as far as I could tell it's just shots of her at the studio in a short dress. Don't know if you can call it groundbreaking, but from that very brief introduction, it's slightly different, I would say.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Jesus wept. It just sounded like one of those things you say before your brain kicks into gear and stops you.

I don't think Alex has ever been that rude to a contestant which makes me suspect the two are on very good terms or the joke was run by Winkleman in advance.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dell_Zincht posted:

I don't care how orange she is, everytime I see Claudia Winkleman on TV I fall in love with her that little bit more. I think it's the combination of funny and crazy, along with her self deprecating humour.

I can't stand Adrian Chiles normally but he was very funny. I'd be perfectly happy to see him and Claudia in a full series.

Taskmaster's format allows relatively boring people to shine when contrasted with bombastic comedians. Even when they try too hard to be funny, it comes off endearing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heavy_D posted:

While not essential, it's good fun to have a look at this and a related clip or two, and get the perspective of a Kiwi familiar with the previous work of Leigh Hart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ceC7ERsLc

You can certainly see echoes of this in his S1 solves.

I can see the inspiration behind HowToBasic now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If they confirmed season 2 in March, there's still time.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Who are some of the better Aussie comedians they could get?

There are probably enough members of The Chaser for at least two seasons.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The World Inferno posted:

Who is the person next to John Oliver?

Not everyone from Cambridge becomes famous.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I stand by my statement.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Fantastic news!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A fantastic start to the series, it really makes a difference to have the audience back.

E: \/\/\/ Completely forgot that, but great continuity!

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Bridget Christie's interview is out. She was the only person I kinda knew going into this season, but she doesn't really seem like she's got the stuff to win. Very unconfident, not great with instructions.

My first thought of her outfit was that she was dressing up Amish, but she's got a holster in there, so I guess it's some kind of cowboy thing?

Pretty sure it's supposed to be Lee Van Cleef's character from For a Few Dollars More.

It felt like Alex was genuinely annoyed with her inability to follow instructions, and I wonder if it was the last interview they filmed after a long day.