Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Not directly related to Taskmaster, but I think people in this thread might be interested in The Cleaner - a new show starring Greg Davis. It's an episodic show based on a German comedy called Crime Scene Cleaner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_xaJ7eKBLE

First episode guest stars Helena Carter. Second episode guest stars David Mitchell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The youtube version isn't bleeped.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

What a brilliant ending to that food task :allears:

Also pretty clever solution from Morgana. Kinda expected a bonus point from Greg just for making Alex eat that stuff.

Paladinus posted:

The 'food' tasting task wasn't particularly original, but the cast managed to elevate it to the highlight of the episode for me.

Basically

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I need that Copy Alex track.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Paladinus posted:

Interviews with contestants are back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOkSpwqyVQA

Ok that's an incredibly annoying song. Not at all like the Horne Section podcast.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'm disappointed no one tried gaming the bike task. Would've liked to see Rhod Gilbert do that one.

drunken officeparty posted:

I want Morgana to win but I’ll be happy as long as Desiree doesn’t.
But why :confused:

Escobarbarian posted:

Victoria is a perfect Taskmaster contestant
Victoria is delightful.

And not everyone has ridden a bike. It's perfectly normal.

Edit:

Cool ways to spread jam on toast:
* A slip and slide, but with jam
* Make Alex do it and then make him feed it to me

itry fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 15, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Heavy_D posted:

They did a special task to commemorate the 50th episode...

...then cut it for time and put it out as a youtube extra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjkD5mR1Abk

Maybe the 100th episode special task will make it in?

Huh. I didn't know this exists. Thanks.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Football task was surprisingly fun. I think Alex just wanted to play some football.

drunken officeparty posted:

The optimal strategy would be to just pop one and be done every time right? You would probably lose on the total if you did get eliminated but you would have a higher chance to get the 10.

There were 100 balloons, with 5 bad ones. You could try waiting for everybody else to trip theirs, but that still leaves one bad balloon for you (and probably worse odds than 1/20 by then). Waiting for only one bad balloon to pop might change the odds in your favour. Alan had better odds when he started than Des had at the start of the game, for example (I think it was 4/92).

tl;dr - it's complex

This is assuming you can't tell which balloon has powder in it, and that they were distributed randomly.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Bit disappointed in the comparative lack of destructive energy, I was waiting for someone to get a long stake and pin the soccer ball in place.

Come to think of it, what if someone had relocated the spot to inside the goal?
Alex would've just moved the spot to wherever he needed it. It would've been fun to see Alex attempt a goal with a deflated ball though.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The football task was fun to watch,i loved alex turning into a horror movie villain (against a weakly taped door) and using the scissors on the net.
Outrageous! Outrageous! Outrageous!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

- "Is there a secret cake room?"
- "Pardon?"

Cut to a SECRET CAKE ROOM sign

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They should've just tied Alex to a chair.

Piell posted:

Yeah, my best thought for how I would have tried this was to just cut up the ball.

Like straight up confetti? But is it still a ball at that point

itry fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 22, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ror posted:

lol this was my thought as well, Rhod has effectively solved any task that involves Alex accomplishing something if you're allowed to do whatever prep you want.

Anything is possible when you just sit for the first 5 minutes of a task with your eyes closed :v:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Unkempt posted:

If anyone hasn't seen the norwegian 'don't blink' task, it's pretty amazing and it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3yhEZX93s

2 hours 47 minutes. Not sure he's actually human.

That's just downright creepy.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pablo Bluth posted:

Best prize task in ages...

:yeah:

Victoria's reaction to the personalised velvet (:aaa:) vintage smoking jacket (:aaaaa:) with some matching slippers (:magical:) was great.
An ice cold burn from Victoria, advising Alan to "treat himself" to a Manchester match. I think they're friends so it's ok.

Most engaged toddler makes a comeback... as a dog! :woof:
Victoria probably should've gone with her initial instinct of just a ball on the carpet.

It was clear from the start that the only way to win the live task was to not play. Too bad none of them tried to go with zero sheets.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They only had two minutes. It would've probably resulted in worse airplanes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Next series will feature the Most Engaged Cat task.

The series after that will feature Most Engaged Pensioner.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

stev posted:

I want to see them make a toy to engage Greg.

Last time he got his hands on a toy he smashed it against the wall though.

Edit: https://youtu.be/l-TnD6m1iPA

itry fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 29, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yvonmukluk posted:

That was a toy to enrage Greg.

:golfclap:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

An excellent entry for the prize task from Victoria :golfclap:

Studio task was very dumb but I would've watched them do another round because it was also very funny.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pinwiz11 posted:

That's the second week in a row where I was absolutely destroyed by Victoria's prize entry... :allears:

Sadly, Greg is slightly less appreciative of her prizes :arghfist:

oh jay posted:

It would, however, make an amazing drunk party game, so Imma add that to my repertoire when organizing events.

:hmmyes:

Heavy_D posted:

I think the studio task itself was absolutely fine, just the attempts let it down. I guessed Victoria's was a spider too, because she worked out how to abstract her subject into the simplest possible drawing + instructions. It helped that spider is fairly easy do do that with, but I think some of the others were possible too so long as you didn't fixate on recreating the given drawing. Like castle needs to be much simpler - one large square, then a line from top left going up-right-down-right-up-right etc to make the crenellations. Or Morgana's attempt, if she'd started with a square/circle container before launching into her line ASMR, she'd have had a shot at a guessable drawing.

The castle was needlessly complicated, yeah. They didn't really try to be clever with it. Except Morgana. She tried to indicate the length of the lines by the way she said it (but nobody got that). She probably should have tried singing her "line line line" in scales. That would've given them a big hint... which would've resulted probably in guitar or xylophone drawings. That's why I think they should've had another round so they could get used to the idea of conveying ideas with a limited vocabulary.

Rochallor posted:

As somebody who's only watched the English versions, is there a particular foreign language version you'd recommend?

The New Zealand version :v:

itry fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 5, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

For anyone who is enamoured with Morgana, watch the Milan episode of Travel Man. It's pretty good.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Heavy_D posted:

I was having a chat with my sister about S12, the jam-spreading task came up and neither of us thought anyone nailed it. I thought it would be really interesting to see Frank Skinner be set that task, he was so collected and self-confident in the way he tackled tasks and I wanted to see what he'd regard as "cool". My sister suggested Bob Mortimer's attempt would be equally interesting, and it's hard to argue against that. So thread, if you could transpose a task to a different series and see a 6th attempt at it, which task would you give and to which different contestant?

For the jam one - James Acaster or Charlotte Ritchie. But really, the answer should usually be Rhod Gilbert.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Scores were incredibly tight this time around (except for Victoria).

The ribena task seemed really dumb to me. I was sure anyone could drink something in that way. Apparently not.

The editing on the team of 3 task was sublime. They all fit their roles perfectly, especially Gus.

Proposal task was cute. Morgana managed to be absurd and eerie at the same time. Gus was Gus.

Heavy_D posted:

Another great live task

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Watching VCM melt down was wonderful.

Yeah, it was great. Greg identifying Victoria when she was trying to be clever was :discourse:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ironically he's the only one I don't recognize the name/face of. The rest were either on 8 out of 10 cats, or Mock the Week, or Unbelievable Truth, or w/e.

stev posted:

I think the drinking task would've been a piece of piss for any dedicated beer drinker. I just tried it with water and other than spilling some down myself it's not that hard.

I don't even drink beer and I was thinking "wtf? anyone could do this".

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If it was supposed to be a callback nobody actually commented on it. I think whoever said it was supposed to be a tiebreaker had it right. It was really straightforward and was probably expected to be simple to score.

Edit: It's also probably really hard to come up with interesting tasks after 12 seasons (plus a couple of specials). I feel like they've been wrecking their brains trying to come up with new ways of thinking about tasks.

itry fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 26, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It was like a Beaker / Martian hybrid noise.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think Ed Gamble mentioned that the CoC will be sometime at the end of the year (so December, I guess). And that it will be only a single episode.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I hope they do a multinational champion of champion special somewhere. They already have enough versions for 5 contestants.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Could be interesting. Or it could be just 5 people making tea instead of doing the task.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

But the viewers are the ones who are rewarded :confuoot:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Replace Acaster with Lou Sanders and Wang with Katherine Ryan

itry
Aug 23, 2019

kazmeyer posted:

But if you replace James Acaster on this dream season you lose one of the best parts of having Rhod Gilbert there, and that's absolutely loving infuriating James Acaster.

Hmm. I see what you mean. :hmmyes:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If you don't mind radio you can check out The Unbelievable Truth. Series 1-26 is on the Internet Archive. 27 (airing now) is on the BBC Radio 4 website.

Edit: If you're wondering what it is - imagine QI and Would I Lie To You had a baby.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Alhazred posted:

Johnny Vegas is so unhinged on Taskmaster that when he's tasked with making noises in a team task the others just assumes he's just being Johnny Vegas and ignores him.

Can't argue with that logic tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RlWbzU8Hw

:ohdear:

itry fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 18, 2022

itry
Aug 23, 2019

My Lovely Horse posted:

Kinda blows my mind that Johnny Vegas has a BA in ceramics, all I can ever picture is him prostrate and weeping in front of a kiln

Putting his experience to good use (4:36)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LItYnyVF-L4&t=276s

Alhazred posted:

You know what doesn't blow my mind? That Katherine Parkinson doesn't have a BA in ceramics.

https://i.imgur.com/VFLOeEq.mp4

I forgot about that one. Dammit Johnny.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

stev posted:

In case anyone missed Alex's banger of a speech from the awards show they put it on their YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKEdWSCrPE

pro-click

itry
Aug 23, 2019

happyhippy posted:

And is there anyone in the audience who wasn't on the show already, all the cutaways.

The UK entertainment/comedy scene is reportedly incredibly incestuous.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

evobatman posted:

I read somewhere that all the UK comedians have the same manager, and either you're with that agency and get put on all the panel shows and Live at the Apollo variants, or you might as well be dead because nobody is ever going to hear about you.

And they all went to the same school and know each other from there.

hosed up if true.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

oh jay posted:

Speaking of American adaptations, Would I Lie to You just started on the CW in the past week. I liked it.

Richard Kind absolutely steals the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDybLPcD7uo

Hmm... Based on past adaptations I assumed the US version will be terrible, but this isn't bad. For a pilot.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pablo Bluth posted:

The second episode is weaker than the first. It's clear why they went with the Richard Kind one for debut.

Not unexpected I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

He's no Jack Dee.