Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Dragonstoned posted:

IMO season 8 is the worst, some good moments but just not a huge fan of it and one I tend to skip on a rewatch. I Like Paul Sinha but his failing just wasn't as funny as the past "worsts" like Roisin/Joe/Paul C/Nish.

Season 8 is my least favourite as well, Ian Stirling created some genuinely uncomfortable moments with how he got during the team tasks and the rest of the cast and the tasks weren't really memorable to me either. The MGS style sneaky trainyard task is the only one that really stood out in my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I could see that being worth it if they put out lots of the cut content that gets uploaded to youtube in limited form (possibly even more of the full recordings in general? That'd be for sure worth it).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

I've fallen behind on news for the UK show, we're still waiting on a 2nd champions episode right? And season 13 soon?

Neither has a date announced but yeah, the Contest of Champions for series 6-10 has been filmed and Ed Gamble, the host of the Taskmaster podcast mentioned he'd seen the first episode of Season 13 so I assume it's not too far out. I imagine they'll put the Champion episode out first and then the series would start soon after.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's also kinda important to remember there are gonna be tasks that just don't work for you, it's kinda the nature of the tasks being kind of a grab bag. Personally I find the musical ones really awkward usually because I'm utterly tone deaf and most comedians aren't great at improvising a tune but obviously I'd never suggest they stop doing them since they clearly are a lot of peoples favourites.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
When they did the tie break, I was hoping Alex was going to, jokingly or not, say that the tie break was going to be a surprise live tie break that was also guessing someone's name.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
When Greg said that Alex was in complete agony for that bike task I thought he was being real and they were gonna show whatever had caused him an actual injury that we know happened either this season or the next one possibly but he just meant "you were in agony cause you were cycling a pretty heavy bike in a suit and probably quite warm". Obviously I'm not expecting them to show it but that was where my mind went both then and also when those sausages started spinning in the cement mixer as fast as they did I thought to myself "could a sausage hitting you hard enough damage your eye socket?".

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 17, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
One of them got it so yeah, it was Seven.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's on BBC Iplayer as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I hope that team task was early and they're just pissed off at him in the rest of them as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Drawing the bird looked like it was literally them meeting for the very first time ever to me.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I was surprised none of them tried just riding on the rubber bannister thing, (though maybe safety protocols or physical reality stopped them, dunno how much power they have) cause it was "get to the end of the lanes" right and not walk?

You just had to do it stylishly so could have a leg on either side for the mirror part and then just hop off onto either side at the end and basically bank on the fact that they're not perfectly mirrored right at the end cause you know everyone is probably not gonna perfectly mirror everything.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 4, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Season 8 came out in July 2019 so they probably weren't badly affected by Covid. Season 10 was the first one filmed under covid restrictions, both are probably in contention for the weakest seasons in my opinion.

Season 8 I just didn't find massively funny or memorable although the trainyard task remains the one I'd really love to give a go in real life.

Season 10 I thought the lineup was good on paper, just the tasks and sheer happenstance combined made it a relatively weak series which is just the nature of the show. Mawaan Rizwan and Johnny Vegas were both entertaining though.

Weirdly I find season 9 quite weak as well, I know that's a relatively well liked one but for me only Rose Matafeo stands out in that one, Ed Gamble is fine and does a decent job as the host of the podcast but in the show I found him grating and obviously you had Jo Brand and Baddiel being pretty crap in the classic "I can't be arsed" way and only sometimes was it funny.

All the seasons since then have been straight bangers though of course. I think Season 11 is my favourite of the ones since the move to channel 4, I hadn't been exposed to Mike Wozniak at all prior to that and it was a revelation.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They have Whose Line Is It Anyway in America where the tagline of the show is "where everything is made up and the points don't matter" and that seemed to be reasonably popular and have a similar ethos all round so I think your friend might just be built different.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Amelia feels like she would have had some quality Ed Gamble or James Acasteresque meltdowns on a full series, extreme Lisa Simpson energy in my opinion (which they also had, not singling her out).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I suspect if you asked each of the comics that have been on the show so far they could each reel off at least a couple up and coming comics who would be great on the show but don't get booked to do TV that often just yet or if they do it's stuff that doesn't get broadcast internationally.

The UK show has been pretty good about picking some lesser known folks who then get to use it as a bit of a boost so if the New Zealand one continues long term they'll probably do that. I guess some of the ones on there already might have been lesser known at the time as well, I don't know the New Zealand comedy scene well enough to judge. The only ones I'd heard of prior were Guy Montgomery and David Correos.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
John Kearnes was going to bring in footage of a proctology examination for one of the prize tasks, he talked about it on the podcast, I can't remember which one.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

TelevisedInsanity posted:

we've asked them all to bring in... the most delectable dessert, whoever you find has the most delectable dessert will receive five points and the winner of tonight's show will have a cake walk with all these tasty treats.

what did you bring in and why?

"candy bar wrapper"

"I have bought in a jar of sand from the Sahara desert. Because I haven't watched New Zealand Taskmaster Series 1".

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Very harsh but fair judging from Bigger Tom this episode. He's probably handing out more disqualifications per episode than any other Taskmaster. Speaking of which, if there's one thing that doesn't quite work for me, I feel Tom's just a tad too mean. Greg has a similar curmudgeonly persona, but at least he tends to have a contestant he picks as a trouble pupil he secretly wants to succeed. Tom, on the other hand, is just merciless so far. His delivery is also less jovial than Greg's, so especially this episode, where everyone was pretty poo poo in most tasks, it was slightly over the top. Other than that, extremely happy with the show. The team tasks work extremely well for the teams they selected.

I think it's a learning process to be honest. Greg didn't start out as he is now and has changed it up quite a bit over the course of it, I guess we didn't have anyone to compare him to either.

Jeremy over on the NZ one is a little too random imo, he'll just go "the time for banter is over" and then dole out the points pretty randomly it feels but he's gotten better over the three seasons. I expect Tom will grow into it over time as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Only proper nerds like us and Ed Gamble will remember all the tasks of previous seasons. A significant number of the contestants don't watch any of it before they do it in any case so I think they're relatively safe repeating tasks from the other shows relatively unchanged and being fine with maybe 1 of the 5 knowing what's up.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Not sure if anyone listens to the podcast generally but Ursula revealing she got properly injured on New Zealand Series 2 kinda shocked me. It was something like "take the biggest risk" and she tried to do a bmx jump off a ramp and really hosed up her shoulder, had to get surgery and has metal rods in there now. Guy Montgomery tried to shove his dick in a toaster so they just didn't show the entire task (I think/assume, been ages since I watched it but I think I'd remember a task where they only showed 3 of the contestants attempts).

With that and Alex's mysterious injury last season, Taskmaster is getting dangerous clearly!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SixFigureSandwich posted:

You're saying this as if Rhod Gilbert didn't chuck a spear into the caravan with Alex inside it

I did think about also mentioning the whole Rhod Gilbert series but thought it might be over egging it a bit.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Henry Paker would be great, he's absolutely destroyed me a few times on that podcast and yeah Wozniak was fantastic as well.

I'd love to see Josie Long, she did the stage show version in Edinburgh back when it first started apparently (as did loads of people who have since been on the TV version) and she seems pretty cool. I don't really keep up with comedy as much as I used to so I don't really know many young comedians, Taskmaster is pretty often the thing that introduces me to new folks when they appear.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Really liking this group already and as usual, the two people I've not heard of are the people I'm enjoying the most.

That boat task would have freaked me out alot, I'd be terrified of breaking it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I expect the ones that have watched the show a bunch probably do it a bit, there's definitely been a few contestants we've seen doing little checks like that but I bet more do it than that and they just don't show it every time. Either way though, you'd get bored of doing it when it doesn't pay off the first however many times or forget a lot as well. Or you get the task in the yard of the house or whatever and then what are you gonna do, look around the entire front yard and under the caravan and stuff?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Imagine if it's Charlotte Richie after all the ribbing she got about potentially being a great childrens TV presenter AND saying that having knowledge about a task while watching people doing the task felt incredible.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

RickRogers posted:

Is that the official podcast? Is it any good?

I enjoy it, it's Ed Gamble and then someone, quite often from the series in question or a previous one, talking about the episode. Sometimes the quality depends on how long it's been since the episode in question or just how much they gave a poo poo but you get some interesting behind the scenes anecdotes or stuff to do with filming. Sometimes you get some old beefs rehashed or some poo poo talking. If it's not one where the guest was on the episode it's down to how good the episode was and how funny the guest is of course. Those ones can be a mixed bag, Ed Gamble and a lot of the UK comedians have a pretty good rapport though, a lot of them know each other really well.

When it started they started with Series 10 cause that was airing and then went back to the beginning of the show and then whenever a new series of it starts they skip forward to that for the duration, then go back to where they were. Think they were midway through series 9 when this latest one started. I don't think they've said what they'll do when they finish that though. Maybe they'll just cycle it endlessly with different guests forever or maybe it'll be done.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Probably depends on the series as well, on the podcast some of the guests have talked about having being booked very far in advance, others a lot closer to starting to do actual tasks, some have been potentially booked for one season and then it's fallen through but they've been told "ah you'll be on the next one" or whatever. So like, timing wise they wouldn't always be able to plan the tasks around specific people so they probably do keep them pretty generic as much as possible.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The camera showing what the pulper looked like inside absolutely destroyed me for how simple it was. Working on this show must be a delight sometimes.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
He's a good choice for the assistant who is presumably going to be with them doing the tasks, extreme dad energy. I am very confused at the base concept though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think ultimately Taskmaster is just super subjective and it's probably incredibly hard to make as well because even great tasks could become boring because the contestants weren't "on" during the day they each did it or whatever, or potentially boring tasks can become pure gold because someone does something insane during them. Also people will find different stuff interesting even aside from that of course.

Cause yeah I had the exact opposite reaction to Season 10 as an example, I was really looking forward to Richard Herring being on TM and then found him and that season as a whole incredibly boring, felt like the tasks had hit the point of being ridiculously complicated that the contestants struggled to keep up with the rules. To me it was pretty much only saved by Mawaan Rizwan, whereas I'm loving this season entirely. Shame it's not working for you.

I think Season 8 and 10 are the only two I'd actively say I didn't like, Season 9 is on the edge, I pretty much only like Rose and Katy in the cast of that one but the tasks were pretty inventive.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I don't think that needs spoiling really. Given it's an episode that aired and such.

I think the closest competitor being on the same team as them probably has really helped because it's limited the amount of catching up they can do in a few key tasks. I could see it though if they have an absolute disaster of an episode for the finale.

Is this the first series in awhile where they haven't done any sort of "only one contestant has to do this task" thing? So far at least, could be in the finale of course. Or maybe they did it and it didn't result in anything amazing so they haven't shown it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Probably keeping a similar format to regular Taskmaster but maybe slightly shorter runs, like 6 episodes instead of 10 or something. If it gets picked up obviously. Maybe they'll use it as a way to get old contestants back on, Alex Horne said he doesn't want to do a loser of losers cause he wants them to still be slightly trying to win the main show but having a spinoff show that's pretty different could work. Have a mix of new folks and some old favourites.

Ed Gamble as the host makes sense, he's grabbed onto the Taskmaster adjacent stuff role with both hands and he's enjoyable enough.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 17, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm British and usually I've only heard of one or two of the contestants in the more recent ones. I just don't follow the UK comedy scene much and then if they're adjacent to that there's even less chance I've heard of them. Usually means I'm pleasantly surprised by seeing some new people turn out to be really funny and enjoyable at least.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Mel feels like she's got a good chance, she's fun, adaptable, seems to want to win and most importantly, is willing to make herself look absolutely ridiculous in the attempt.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Heavy_D posted:

Yes, I've launched into a rewatch, seems if anything Jeremy slightly is more prominent in the first episode than he ends up these day. The TM Podcast just finished the UK episodes, so hoping they can start covering these now. It gives them more than enough enough material to cover the downtime in the coming year around S16, S17 and the NYT (and maybe CoC III).

Seems like they're just pausing the podcast whenever a UK one isn't on so far, they finished Series 9 a month ago and Ed said there wouldn't be another one for awhile if I recall correctly. Makes sense since Channel 4 are paying for it and they won't see any return on promoting the New Zealand one.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm really curious to see Sam Campbell, every comedian who talks about him being on it is basically bigging him up so massively I feel like he can only disappoint.

I suppose I could go and watch some of his stuff separately and probably get some hints as to why they're so excited but that requires time and effort.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Jenny Eclair is hosting that podcast now along with the old co-host I believe so might be worth a listen if you stopped before.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I would absolutely stop and talk to Alex Horne and a random comedian/tv personality I may or may not recognise if I was walking through that part of London and they signaled that they wanted me to talk to them (well, Sam wanted them to stop, Alex looked like he was radiating "oh god" energy).

It'd probably be the most exciting thing that happened to me all week.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That team task has the feel of something else being there in the background but either nobody finding it but it's a team task so they showed it anyway or it's going to be part of some other secret task in the future but they have to show it all for it to make sense (and obviously score it and stuff for this episode).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The task that outtake discussion is following on from hasn't been on right? Like from context it seems like she's talking about something awful she actually did with Alex that involved his feet so it's not just Lucy talking mad stuff like she sometimes does (several takes, "you bit so hard", etc) but I can't think what task that could possibly be? The outtakes are usually only put up when the episode they're taken out of have been on I think but they must have changed that. Or the entire section, task included, has been erased from my memory I suppose.