Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

If I'm vaccinated in AB, how do I get a vaccine passport for BC?

Seems to be unnecessarily hard to find this, even Google sucked, but you do this here: https://immunizationrecord.gov.bc.ca/

It looks like it requires Health Gateway, too, which requires Services Card which requires MSP which means you need to have lived in BC for 3 months? Not an expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

ChickenDoodle posted:

Which doesn’t work on many iPhones, including my own. It loads on my iPad but I’m not going to want to take that with me to a concert.

If it comes out on that I’m going to be so mad.

I don’t think it’s going to.

BC seems to really have trouble getting info out to the general public, the announcement today caused a lot of swirl at my workplace but eventually we found this: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/proof

So it looks like it will be an entirely standalone website, which isn’t live yet, where you download your “vaccine card.”

But for people who were vaccinated out-of-province, you’re still going to need to use that other site I linked to provide your proof of vaccination as far as I know. I might be straight up wrong about requiring Health Gateway at all, since that just pulls from like 3 other data sources in the province to get all your health info into a single portal. Maybe you just need to enter your out-of-province info at the immunization record site, then you’ll be able to get your card at the new site coming Sept 13th in addition to Health Gateway?

Guess it’s easier to build 30 websites where you only worry about accessibility on 2-3 of them instead of just making one that gets it right…

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

To be honest, the BC one is just a screenshot of a webpage with a QR code on it. The procedure for checking it is to scan the QR code for the info in it (name, DoB, vaccine dates/batch/etc), and then compare with a piece of ID.

There's no way to verify the information in the QR code, and it's not exactly difficult to make a fake one.

I have no idea how easy forgery theoretically is, but for what it’s worth this isn’t quite true. BC is using the SMART Health Card QR code format, not just generic “QR” so it’s a little harder to generate. Cross-quoting:

CLAM DOWN posted:

it's actually this kind of QR code: https://smarthealth.cards/

SDK if you're a turbonerd and want to read it: https://github.com/smart-on-fhir/health-cards

It's not a "normal" QR code readable by any phone camera by default

Businesses also have a specific app to scan this, you can’t just scan it with your phone camera. (My attempt to scan one with an iPhone took me to Apple’s Health app, I don’t know what would happen with a different phone.)

https://twitter.com/adriandix/status/1436421851161321472

Will someone spin up a site to start offering fake ones? Who knows. But they at least went a little further than slapping together something you could generate in ten seconds.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I’ve been trying to figure out how political donations work, having never done one before. Finding the max amount was easy. I think all donations are public record, is that right?

https://www.elections.ca/wpapps/WPF/EN/CCS/Index?returntype=1

Although I’m guessing this wouldn’t be indexed by any search engines, so someone would need to be pretty bored/dedicated to track down what an individual did?

(This is pure paranoia but the industry I work in definitely has the reputation of leaning the other direction than I do politically, so…)

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

pokeyman posted:

https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=pol&dir=pol/man/ec20231&document=p2&lang=e says "When total contributions from an individual are over $200, their name, partial address and contribution amounts disclosed in the financial return will be published on the Elections Canada website."

Thanks!

I saw some named contributions as small as 15$ when looking through the search, but I guess that would make sense to be published if the individual ultimately went over this total amount.

Side note I’m really impressed at this site. They have a section on crypto donations, example scenarios… it’s good.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Even once the legal side is sorted out, I don’t think the “voluntary” aspect of digital voting is actually the hardest part to solve (as flakeloaf says, the same problem exists with mail-in). I think the problem is actually that it’s very very difficult to build a system that is both validating your identity and also keeping your vote anonymous.

Ed. Actually found a good video discussing in more detail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkH2r-sNjQs

A big part highlighted here is trust in the system itself - you don’t even need to prove something went wrong like a security breach, there just needs to be enough mistrust in the system and you risk election results being hugely controversial.

Edit 2 - Estonia is addressed briefly at the 9 minute mark.

kaom fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 20, 2021

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Aces High posted:

policy may have changed since the Advance Polls and it probably depends on where this happened but during Advance Polls we were told "clear the room and let them vote, then let everyone else in" was an option to accommodate anti-maskers but everyone in my polling place shared the opinion of "gently caress that, we're not pushing these assholes to the front of the line" and instead had solutions like "will you at the very least where a face shield?" or "we are not denying you your right to vote, we are telling you that we have multiple authorities telling us to not allow anyone refusing to wear a mask into this room. here's the address where you can go and they will accommodate you"

I’m genuinely trying to understand the logic behind accommodations for non-medical reasons. They can turn you away if you show up to vote naked, can’t they? Why is this different?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Posting this anywhere BC goons might see it: https://engage.gov.bc.ca/paidsickleave/

Legislation is coming to BC effective Jan 2022 for mandatory paid sick leave. There’s a survey on this page for whether it should be a minimum of 3, 5, or 10 days (see “Options Paper”) along with some interesting stats about what’s currently available in the province (only about 40% of employers offer any paid sick leave at all, but a small percentage of employers cover most employees in the province, so despite that about 30% of employees already have more than 10 paid sick days).

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

“How old are you now” happened all the time for me, but only in French (I did not know there was an English version at all until this very moment). French immersion in BC (northern and coastal), the kids in the program would sing this at non-immersion kids’ parties too. :shrug:

Ed. Oh man it’s flooding back. We also sang https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gens_du_pays and also the English “you look like a monkey” parody. Every party was like, four cacophonous songs minimum.

kaom fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 21, 2021

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Alctel posted:

The BCNDP grassroots are still really left wing along with a lot of the MLAs, just Horgan himself is pretty classic Rural Boomer and you got all the usual NDP business vultures who settle in once a provincial party takes power

It’s so frustrating. Business owners who are mad about 5 days of paid sick leave were never going to vote for the NDP anyway. Why try to compromise with them, doesn’t it seem more politically savvy to go with the 10 days that would make a larger group of people excited?

I don’t understand this urge that ostensibly “left” parties have to run to the centre. The BC NDP got a majority, who are they thinking this appeals to?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Is it a controversial opinion to say that I would like China derails to be dealt with by mods?

Not in the context of Canadian relationships with China, or learning from their example as applies to our own country. But derails that are literally just about China. This is the only thing that regularly happens in this thread that is frustrating for me to read. There are other places for it.

Otherwise we mostly sort ourselves out IMO.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

The thread is relatively new, despite the OP being hilariously current, so, serious suggestion - just take the top x posters since we know they’re active, eliminate anyone with questionable stuff on their rap sheet within the last few months, then roll dice until you find someone willing and who the thread doesn’t immediately try to veto. There are probably a few posters we’d all be happy with as IK, especially on a trial basis, so I doubt we’re going to see a consensus.

I know some people are going to say we should just use the report button, but eh. Save reports for things that need it IMO, a tedious derail doesn’t really rise to that level. If we have an IK who never has anything to do, I don’t see the harm in that.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I guess I should have restated my position from the feedback thread that the best moderation is proactive and doesn’t involve buttons at all lol. I totally agree, I don’t want to see a bunch of probes handed out either, I’m more interested in a timely response that doesn’t require escalation. And that doesn’t probe for bear jokes, I guess, that would be a bonus.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Do it IMO.

But don’t edit the thread OP.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

If the going theory is state propaganda on how a lot of these conspiracy theories get their start, it kind of begs the question of how you keep your own population unaffected. Language barrier, or maybe you don’t bother? Russia has a 46.5% fully vaccinated rate, apparently, as compared to Canada’s 77.5% (Google’s top hit here is Our World in Data, might be wrong but I’m assuming approx enough). I’m assuming similar levels of access to vaccination here. On the one hand I think Canada can’t be large enough to target so we must import most of these things from the US, but on the other hand, the Arctic.

Arivia posted:

e: i appreciate that the new D&D mod is currently joke probed in FYAD and therefore can't post in D&D about this moderation discussion. VERY GOOD SETUP.

Koos still has buttons doesn’t he? He can communicate with us via probe text, like an SA ouija board.

I support eXXon too btw.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

We need solutions made in Canada, where’s your patriotism.

Also:

Arivia posted:

That's fine. Thanks for doing this!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Count Roland posted:

vaccination rates have plateaued.

In addition to everything else wrong with this post, what? Under-30s weren’t even eligible for the booster in BC until the past couple of weeks. Children under 5 haven’t been vaccinated yet. We’re nowhere near a plateau.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

That landlord story is just lol. Lady you own an asset, you couldn’t think to sell it to someone who actually can afford to rent it out and then use your enormous windfall to buy/rent another place for yourself? Hilarious lack of investigation on the part of the reporter(s).

StoicRomance posted:

There are only four livable cities in Canada.
Honestly yeah, there kind of are. Small town Japan has better amenities than most cities in Canada.

I used to live in northern BC and actually liked it, but:

1) I could have just been lucky in who I knew + visible privilege
2) My partner prefers city life
3) Our parents live here, so unless we can convince them to pack up with us (or prepare to abandon them in old age) we’re stuck here

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

berenzen posted:

Victoria maybe?
Transit, parking, housing, shopping all :lol:

DrBox posted:

Hard to sell the place in that condition with a renter living in it that does not pay rent.

She's not blameless but she was couch surfing during a pandemic with her restaurant closed down. I'm sure she looked at options.
Oh I think her situation was bad, not dismissing it. A divorce and then learning you don’t have the fallback you thought you did? Sucks. But unless I read the article wrong the tenants were paying rent up until she served them with the eviction notice. After which, they weren’t obligated to pay.

This kind of article is always just disappointing to me because it doesn’t get at anything beyond the surface complaints. She played within the rules just fine, she’s allowed to reclaim the property for her personal use and had a reasonable expectation that the situation would be resolved in a much more timely way. But the way our laws are set up creates such a power imbalance. The reasons people become small time landlords are interesting (it’s treated as though there’s little to no risk involved, “passive income”). Laws that allow for short notice evictions are interesting too - they have to operate under the premise that tenants can actually find new housing, and that the disruption to their lives is trumped by the rights of property ownership.

Just longing for meatier reporting than anecdotes as news, I guess…

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Yeah you probably want to check a few forecasting maps before moving to the south coast of BC. Earthquake, tsunami, sea level rise. There are a few problems on the horizon.

CBC did a podcast on the big one, Fault Lines I think it was called. It’s a few years old now but I remember it being good, if you want an idea of what this earthquake will potentially look like (real bad).

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I was 100% not joking about looking at maps, if you have the luxury of living in Vancouver and being able to choose where.

infernal machines posted:

So you're saying the price of Vancouver real estate will rise?

I think anything that survives the earthquake will be worth a literal fortune, because even if no average people want to stay there while it’s mostly destroyed the people who are doing the rebuilding will need somewhere to live. And I can’t imagine a scenario where the province doesn’t rebuild Vancouver, given its importance for shipping.

Victoria is a little more “who cares” since it doesn’t seem as geographically important, but it’s the capital so my guess is we’d rebuild that too as a point of pride.

Edit:
Here’s a recent high-level study of a few scenarios including Victoria/Vancouver. https://geoscan.nrcan.gc.ca/starweb/geoscan/servlet.starweb?path=geoscan/fulle.web&search1=R=329397

A 7.0 crustal earthquake in the strait will take out over 10k buildings, kill 2,000 people, and cost 30 billion (10% of BC’s GDP).
A 7.3 crustal earthquake on the Leech River fault will take out 7k buildings, kill 1,000 people, and cost 20 billion.

Neither of these is the big one. Also the report basically says “lol” with regards to hospital capacity to handle all the people who are injured on top of the ones who die during the initial quake, and doesn’t model additional affects like tsunamis.

kaom fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 25, 2022

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

If we had unlimited budget and political will, honestly is there even anything we could do? Relocate the entire city of Vancouver up the coast? I don’t know anything about the feasibility of rebuilding the ports, in terms of ships even being able to navigate somewhere far enough away to be considered mostly safe.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

This is kind of what I’m thinking, that there is no real alternative to where Vancouver is right now even if we knew ahead of building anything that the earthquake was guaranteed to strike.

I don’t think we could just move people out of the key danger zones successfully. Is there a single major port anywhere in the world that doesn’t need major infrastructure and housing immediately adjacent to it to even be able to operate? I don’t know that we could have a port, surrounded by farmlands, and then a major population centre another hour’s drive away. Maybe I’m wrong about this, operations and geography are not my strong suit.

Likewise I think there’s a whole lotta nothing up the coast, and a big part of the reason is proximity to the US but also I’m under the impression it’s geographically difficult to establish any major ports on most of the coastline. If you go way north Prince Rupert exists, sure, but it isn’t “big” because how are you going to get things inland from there (and a significant number of people want to live in a milder climate).

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Crow Buddy posted:

Some nightmare fuel in case property values, atmospheric rivers and heat domes wasn't enough for you.

Thanks for posting this, I read it last night and the most fascinating part to me is just how recently we even drew these conclusions. We didn’t have a widely accepted theory about plate tectonics until the 1960s! And the science around the big one wasn’t solid until the late 80s into the 90s. Wild stuff. No wonder our preparedness is lagging.

Edit: A correct - “we” as in the government and accepted scientific publications. Indigenous peoples absolutely did know about the history on the Pacific coast.

kaom fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 26, 2022

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Alctel posted:

How is taking down wind turbines going to grow the economy / reduce hydro rates

I have no idea about how this is supposed to improve rates or the economy but I think the objections to wind turbines are all health-related, you know the usual “they’re built with heavy metals so they’ve poisoned our water supply” / “radiation!” style objections.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Yeah we don’t want to be like Japan… At least as I understand it that conviction rate exists because A) they don’t bother to prosecute a lot of cases because they only want surefire convictions, and B) they can detain you basically indefinitely on little basis so people confess to petty crimes they didn’t commit so they can go home.

I’ve been very fortunate in life, but honestly the times I needed justice it was hard to access. I was once towed illegally (no signage was posted). But I needed my car right away, so I paid the fee to get it back. Then I no longer had the savings to pursue getting my money and/or car back.

I still think we’re doing pretty well generally in the courts (cops are lol of course).

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

So which company do you think they hired to print the stickers?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Re. BC museum I thought “that seems like a lot,” then thought about the fact that it’s a giant collection that needs specialized storage and access controls, has to be reasonably future-proofed, needs to withstand an earthquake, is being built over nearly a decade… I mean, maybe they just actually costed a project correctly for once instead of announcing it will cost 25% of the actual final price tag.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Apparently there's an ongoing armed robbery in Victoria

Rumour is multiple people injured (and 4 dead), but that's just rumour right now.

Seriously cannot believe a broad daylight bank robbery is a real thing happening. The only confirmed news so far is two suspects dead, a possible third being looked for, and six police shot.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Local news for Victoria is CHEK and Time Colonist, I guess? They’re both reporting the police statement that they’re not aware of any other injuries, at least yet. Seems like a shootout happened in the bank parking lot and not inside.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I see some people talking about the booster being offered now and taking it if we want to. The fourth dose, that second booster, is not available in BC to anyone under 70 unless you’re high risk. That’s why some of us are upset about this.

“BC Gov” posted:

We understand some people have unique needs and getting a booster dose in July or August might be best for them. This is okay, but not recommended.

If you're 18 or older and you have unique needs, the call centre can help you book an appointment. Don’t phone until you’ve received a fall booster update email or SMS.

I’m already six months from my first booster (overall dose #3), but they’re asking us to wait. Meanwhile, there are basically no restrictions whatsoever, not even indoor masking which seems to me like a complete no-brainer thing to have never lifted. I also really want them to bring back the vaccine passports when the bivalent option is available since the vaccine will mean something significant about transmission again, but I have zero faith any government will do it. :smith: Last fall with the passports and before omicron hit was the only time I felt comfortable doing optional indoor activities like movies again.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I think people just rely heavily on personal experience. If they see everyone else wearing a mask, they’re more likely to comply with directives to wear a mask. If mask usage drops and no one they know gets sick, they stop wearing it. A few weeks ago my parents were happily declaring COVID “over” but since my partner caught it, they’re back to masking and taking precautions.

I wouldn’t be surprised if people jump on the bivalent vaccine since it offers protection from something they’ll have recent personal experience with, given how omicron is spreading.

But generally the messaging from public health has been confusing. There were no useful guidelines on the BC CDC’s site about what to do as my partner recovered. I managed not to catch it from him, even through we were isolating from each other in a tiny apartment. The information for someone with COVID is “you can stop isolating after 5 days if your fever is gone” and the information for taking care of someone with COVID is “clean surfaces and wear a mask” but zero guidance on what to do after 5 days have passed. The US CDC recommends another 5 days of isolation and masking when you live in the same place, thankfully, but BC just says nothing about this at all.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I’m so sorry for everyone here who’s lost someone to COVID or whose family is suffering lingering effects. :smith:

funny song about politics posted:

I’m not even sure what the regulatory process looks like for COVID treatments, except that it seems like a foregone conclusion that we’ll follow the US FDA with a couple weeks delay. I think there’s quite a moral hazard arriving at any independent conclusions, because that could undermine the whole thing as well.

It makes sense in many ways to be risk averse, but it was also cool early on when we broke stride with everyone else on allowing mixed vaccination and it panned out great. We listened to Canadian medical researchers and I wish we’d do it again!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

DrBox posted:

Not sure how much people have heard about the "Excelsior 4" but two of them have been convicted and could go to jail for this.

Just coming back to this for a second… It does nothing to help the people currently involved, but there is an open petition on behalf of multiple organizations calling on the federal government to roll out abattoir video surveillance by the CFIA and independent third parties which in theory would prevent the need for this type of activist activity in future: https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Sign/e-3961

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Sorry for accidentally kicking off a combative argument, everyone. I appreciate the effort posts amidst the insults. Wish I could convince my parents to reduce their meat and dairy intake for health reasons they absolutely do not want to hear so I like seeing other arguments for it.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

The church did not tell my grandmother why a particular priest’s funeral she was performing at was so small. She had to get nosy on her own. If you guessed “the church knew,” yes! They absolutely did.

Anyway I think dialogue and healing is good but it rings empty without material reparations. I also don’t believe systemic changes have actually happened. There’s nothing in place to prevent a reoccurrence of any of the church’s many crimes.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Comments are turned off. Cowardly, CBC.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I can’t see more climate-related disasters pushing people into the arms of the Cons - the party that won’t even recognize it!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I mean BC made a recommendation which was “don’t get the fourth dose yet” so I’m not sure which is worse, no information or information that seems questionably wise. It’s hard as an individual when the people who are supposed to be the experts are running confusing public communications.

Honestly I even had trouble finding information from the WHO on whether covid is airborne. Maybe I’m just terrible at website navigation but it doesn’t seem like a big ask to have some simple fact sheets available at this point? BC CDC had nothing useful for what to do coming out of quarantine as my partner recovered, it felt like pure guesswork as to when he wouldn’t be contagious to me anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Crow Buddy posted:

The BC Health recommendation was super clear, and well explained iirc.

What specifically were you hoping for?

I kind of conflated two things in my post, that’s on me. But yeah I was hoping for a more coordinated approach.

1) Vaccinations

I think BC has been doing an okay job communicating directly via text/email about these. But it worries me to see experts making different recommendations via news and twitter (and this might be a mistake, but I generally trust if people are posting and discussing a scientist/doctor’s recommendations in this thread without pushback, that it’s reasonably trustworthy). The BCTF has also publicly disagreed with health recommendations via twitter and CBC. I know it’s impossible for everyone to agree on the right approach even if they somehow all agree on what the data is saying, but it would be nice if public health could have at least had major groups like BCTF on board with their messaging.

Then when they explain their reasoning for a less cautious recommendation, they don’t always update it for changing situations. The recommendation against getting a 4th dose in the summer for most was paired with an explanation that they expected increased transmission in the fall based on what we’ve seen previously, so delayed boosters would give the most benefit. But then another wave started in July/August, and they didn’t update that recommendation even though the wave hit early. I find this difficult to understand.

2) BC CDC

This was confusing as hell. The recommendations for someone with COVID at the time my partner had it were to quarantine for 5 days after the fever was gone, after which time you should stop isolating but spend another 5 days masking when going out. The recommendations for caring for someone with COVID were “wear a mask and clean surfaces for 5 days” - zero info about those next five days or when and how we should end isolation indoors from each other. Also generally a lot of emphasis on cleaning surfaces, which I’m not actually sure is that useful (no information about whether it’s airborne, which is why I turned to the WHO looking for that). The US CDC website did have more information, saying that we should continue to mask and isolate from each other indoors for those additional five days, so that’s what we ended up doing.

Basically the “caring for someone with COVID” recommendations cut off too early, they seem to assume that you don’t live together so after the five day quarantine you have no more reasons to interact with the person you’re caring for since they can go out on their own.