Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
if you close recurrent threads put a link to the new one in the last post of the old one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

vs the us specifically i think no small part of it is public health care. people are just (sensibly) way less scared of medical anything here in part because bills aren’t going to come back to bite them

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Calumanjaro posted:

I think the US also has the issue that a sizable number of Republicans are anti-vaccination specifically because Democrats are pro-vaccine.

very true, there’s plenty of chud coverage here but it just doesn’t approach the level in the us. and here when the conservatives post something really egregious a lot of even conservative voters seem to feel pretty embarrassed about it, while the word “shame” doesn’t exist in the goppers’ big book of words

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Argas posted:

There was a video recently about the history of antivaxx (primarily concentrating on the assfucks that kicked it off, and the complicit media circus around it) and there's basically two elements to vaccine hesitation. You're always going to have people who are antivaxx, whether just in rhetoric or actually in practice. This number grew way larger than before after bullshit former doctor Wakefield completely made poo poo up. Some of this is due to genuine legitimate distrust of the government/corporation that goes back to how a person or their cultural group has a history of mistreatment. You can't really fight this very well as long as governments aren't actually interested in reparations.

The other factor are people who are hesitant for whatever reason. Usually it's just osmosis of antivaxx beliefs through society. It's kind of the typical behavior with people hedging their bets. People who don't obsessively believe in superstitions but still try to avoid things that may bring them bad luck if it's not too inconvenient. They fall to peer pressure and in Canada we're definitely going to see some of that peer pressure coming from how a lot of people in the US have their second dose already.

Wakefield's bullshit plunged the UK rate of vaccination temporarily before it recovered in the aftermath of Wakefield being exposed as a complete scam who wanted to make money. Unfortunately the fucker went to the US and peddled his poo poo there.

he should really be in prison.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, he committed fraud and child abuse, I don't understand how charges were never filed.

on top of this the general public health costs are probably in the several hundred million at this point worldwide if not billions (to say nothing of lives lost)

if you’re not going to jail him sanction the motherfucker and subject him to restitution for the rest of his life

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Death bed denials, pandemic 'hoax' accusations common in southern Manitoba hospital patients, doctor says

Majority of COVID-19 patients at Boundary Trails Health Centre unvaccinated

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winkler-doctor-hospital-vaccine-hesitancy-1.6044904

cbc posted:

Staff at Boundary Trails Health Centre are routinely hearing from sick and unvaccinated patients who believe the pandemic is a hoax — some remaining defiant even on the brink of death.

"We hear this almost every day, and I know that's startling," said Dr. Ganesan Abbu. "It's difficult ... to know that almost 100 per cent of our admissions have not been vaccinated."

Abbu is an anesthetist and special care unit doctor at Boundary Trails, located over 100 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg and between Morden and Winkler.

The district surrounding the two small cities has the lowest vaccination rate in the province, according to provincial data.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i had what i'd generally call fatigue, but little else

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

this has flared up locally, it's ridiculous.

London principal removed from position after backlash over wearing student’s dreadlocks
https://globalnews.ca/news/7905066/london-ont-principal-removed-wearing-dreadlocks

Luc Chartrand, Principal of l'École Secondaire Catholique Monseigneur-Bruyère in London Ont.
pictured wearing a black student's dreadlocks as a halloween costume seven months after they were cut
off at a cancer fundraiser.

global posted:

The post from BLM London said Chartrand was asked to stop by several students and did not.

Six months later, a former student said Chartrand then showed up to school dressed as the student for Halloween, wearing the student’s hair.

“It’s very odd and racially weird and insensitive,” said a former student who says they witnessed the event and spoke to Global News anonymously.

The former student said most people were “grossed out” by the incident or found it “weird.”

[..]

The former student said the hair incident was just one of several cases of racism towards people of colour at the school.

In June 2020, the former student said they and several other students collected a list of racism and micro-aggressions towards people of colour at the school by staff and students. The former student says the list was sent to the school board, calling for accountability and workshops for staff to understand what they can and can’t say and have anti-racism policies hung up in the school.

One student reported being called a cotton picker by a classmate.

The former student said when they read books with the N-word, white teachers would often say the word despite several students asking them not to use it.

of course all the people on the local reddit were like oh poor guy he's obviously not racist why fire a nice man over unnecessary political correctness, etc. one such had this gem:

a racist posted:

I can't comment on this situation and I don't think we have all the facts to make any comments. I agree he should lose his job because of racism, but is he racist?

A co-worker of mine went to a party black faced. Sounds very racist if that's all you saw and don't know him. I know him, he doesn't have a racist bone in his body. He was actually dressed up as Tiger Woods and his love of Tiger Woods is almost an obsession. It's other people's perception that would make him evil. His actions and ideas are the opposite of hate. He just loves Tiger Woods.

someone (who is rich enough to buy a house in a "nice" neighbourhood, then buy a second one in a different nice neighbourhood while keeping the first house to rent out, and has consistently complained about people ruining the "atmosphere" of the first neighbourhood) replied with:

another loving racist posted:

Exactly - I miss the days when we looked at intent not labels.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Randalor posted:

... wait, what was that about him wearing a student's hair?

they had a fundraiser for a student with cancer, and a bunch of people cut off their hair to raise money and show support. the principal put on a black kid's dreads as a wig and despite being asked by several students to stop, he never bothered.

then, apparently, he saved the hair at home and six months later, wore it as a wig with tape and dressed as that student for halloween at the school

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tochiazuma posted:

I've worked for some terrible admin in my time but holy poo poo

Are those folks trying to ignore the obvious racism also giving a pass on the incredible creepiness of *saving a student's hair for a costume*?

i know it keeps blowing my mind that the principal thought this was a good idea

it's obviously racist. of course. but beyond that what the gently caress what teacher or administrator would ever think this is a good idea???

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Alctel posted:

The only CFL fans I've ever met in the wild were roughriders fans, there seems to be a few of them around

one of my friends is a massive sask fan. she watches all the games, has a ton of logo merch, etc

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/janisirwin/status/1399810858188886017?s=21

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fidelitious posted:

I actually think this is an issue. It's too easy to downplay it as, "well it's those old racist guys and we'll just have to live with it until they die" kind of thing.
It's an infection of the mind and it's being passed down to younger generations plenty enough. You can get a sense of the demographics by using facebook since it has accounts attached to the comments.

Yes, certainly a good number of them are old white men and women ranting about 3rd-world imports. But there are also plenty of sub-40 year olds in there. Their flavor of racism is slightly different since a lot of them know better than to be too blatant about it, but it's there, and it's strong.
I just don't want to become too optimistic about it being just a matter of time until we inhabit a mostly racism-free utopia or something.

agree

i’ve brought this up before but the local subreddit is mostly 18-40 and there’s a ton of racist poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lol I can't believe I forgot about the time Kenney tried to have a Bigfoot movie cancelled because it dared to criticize the oil and gas industry. That was like two months ago tops.

lmaoooo what i missed this

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lassitude posted:

"It's silly."
That said the controversy apparently helped the film so perhaps the sequel will feature an evil Canadian premiere and his cabal in the Energy War Room rather than a Texas oil tycoon as the villain.

amazing

yeah i've never seen this but now i want to watch it

and then the sequel with villainous plunderer Mason Spinney

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Alctel posted:

I'm not saying Canada is ~beyond racism~ but people who get angry enough to comment on articles on Facebook or (even more so) newspaper articles tend to be just the worst. Likewise for reddit (mostly)

Everyone I know in my town is really nice and progressive but oh boy, look at the subreddit for it and you'd think we were rural alberta

lol i bet some of those nice progressive people you know make some of those comments and you don’t know it.

additionally this kind of ignores the issue entirely. like how when people come here and ask about racism they get shouted away because “this isn’t racist that’s dumb you’re racist” etc etc because “nobody [they] know is racist.”

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ColdBlooded posted:

I'm really curious to see what the current polling looks like right now. The NDP were up 6 points in March, pre 3rd wave - with how much Pallister and company have mismanaged poo poo, I'd have to imagine the NDP would be up double digits by now.

Though it's not like it matters since the Cons will just speed run all their bullshit through to make Manitoba a barren wasteland by 2023.

the bottom was done march to april by janet brown for cbc. the one on top was about two weeks ago by mainstreet for the western standard:

and yeah lot of time to change between now and ‘23.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Crow Buddy posted:

What caused the independence support collapse?

you have it backwards; it's exploded

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/6/no-apology-pope-canada-residential-school-deaths
Our thoughts and prayers are with whitey during this difficult time, while they struggle to accept their part in the genocide we helped them commit.

oh surprise! the "cool pope" is a useless administrator of the childfucker religion. i'm shocked.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in local news a dbag drove their vehicle into a sidewalk killing three adults and a juvenile person with a second child barely hanging on in the icu

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

in local news a dbag drove their vehicle into a sidewalk killing three adults and a juvenile person with a second child barely hanging on in the icu

the cops just gave a press conference; the family was targeted explicitly because they were muslims

but yeah we don't have a racism problem here

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Opposition Motion (Action towards reconciliation with Indigenous peoples)
https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/live-vote?voteId=118

citynews posted:

The NDP’s motion, which should come to a vote Monday, demands quick action to help Indigenous peoples. In particular, Leader Jagmeet Singh wants fast implementation of outstanding Truth and Reconciliation recommendations, ending court cases around compensation for Indigenous children in the child welfare system and residential school survivors, and more resources to search for unmarked graves.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nick Biped posted:

It just occurred to me that the perpetrator was arrested really close to the London Islamic School and Mosque. Might just have been a coincidence, but if not, it's horrible to think it could've been much worse.

yeah i wonder what this fucker was planning

he was apparently wearing a helmet (?!) when he committed the murders

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

The cheap ones are square bales, which are about 50 lbs each, and the expensive ones are those big rear end round bales the size of a Smart Car and weigh about 1000 lbs.

loved the day we switched to round bales because i didn’t have to haul hay anymore.

end of an era though i used to get to drive the pickup/trailer at 8 since i was too little to lift the square bales lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

linoleum floors posted:

Is there anything more loathful than a "campus conservative"

several but that’s up there

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fwiw i don't have any comments about the appropriateness of it though i'd take my cues from whatever the muslim community thinks. i've seen a couple of comments from such groups on twitter but mostly it's been white non-muslims complaining about how inappropriate it is and i just can't bring myself to care about those opinions

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Man says he was beaten 'nearly to death' in homophobic attack at Toronto Islands
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/06/09/man-says-he-was-beaten-nearly-to-death-in-homophobic-attack-at-toronto-islands/

citynews posted:

A Toronto man says he was followed by a group of men who taunted him with homophobic slurs before beating him “nearly to death” on the Toronto Island over the weekend.

In a social media post prefaced with a sarcastic “Happy Pride” David Gomez said he was on his way home from Hanlan’s Point late Saturday night when a group of men starting following him and calling him a “f****t and h**o.”

Gomez says he was then “knocked unconscious and beat nearly to death” while being “dragged around, kicked and punched in the face.”

Gomez says he suffered a broken nose, fractures to his face, a broken tooth and other injuries in the attack.

Social media users have identified one of the alleged attackers as a CFL player on the Ottawa Redblacks team.

The communication manager for Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, which owns the Ottawa Redblacks, Chris Hofley, confirmed in a statement that the Redblacks are aware of the allegations made on social media involving one of their players and that “the team is currently investigating.”

“There were apparently bystanders, INCLUDING the police, who made a shallow attempt at calming tempers,” wrote Liburd on a GoFundMe page.

"man says" go gently caress off with that headline

https://twitter.com/TylerKBoyce/status/1402276141461803015

https://twitter.com/JuiceBoxxQueen/status/1402414830414450691

not new but still acab

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Another Bill posted:

1) Glad that's getting some press attention, its been floating around social media for a few days.

2) Straight people def. go to Hanlans Point, not sure what that person is on about.

2.) they’re saying straight people shouldn’t go. unless they’re staunch allies

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

What the gently caress? How does that happen in Toronto in 2021?

lots of it simmers just under polite conversation here even now. i mean it wasn’t that long ago the tories were still going on about marriage

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

This city is queer as hell though. I can see that it happened, I just can't see how there was no one around willing to stop it from happening.

sure but attacks happen even in gay centres sometimes.

anyway to your point bystander effects are powerful

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Dude was allegedly a CFL player. Some of those guys come in at 250 pounds, like this Chris Larsen guy, a random CFL player I chose completely at random

this entered my mind too. dudes like that often hang out together so they can be pricks together

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beelzebufo posted:

I've never been physically assaulted, but as someone who has had human being screamed at them on multiple occasions when out with my partner, not a lot of people are willing to step in even to that. It's not very surprising to me that no one wanted to get in the way of a bunch of violent thugs, especially since it was night in a park so there were probably not that many people around.

It's just the way things are, you never really know if the people around you might be the kind that will just flip out if you read as gay. :shrug:

E: VVV Lol, that in particular doesn't surprise me though. Cops don't give a poo poo at all about homophobic attacks and hate crimes.

yup

i’m still uncomfortable being around a large group of straight people, especially men, until i know them reasonably well. you can never trust how they’re going to turn out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh no keystone xl is dead oh golly oh shucks

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I wonder if we can use this to gently caress the fed conservatives when they advertise against Trudeau as Ford and the Ontario conservatives have shown they are aligned with this message and that makes the federal conservatives a third party message in the province of Ontario

they definitely seemed to collar ford last time so the fed party seems to thing his inanity? insanity? can affect them

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arivia posted:

the funny thing is how the cop asks him if he has weapons and he's like "only my words and my mind" get the gently caress out of here you're not nelson mandela you're whining about how you had to wear a mask for a year and a half to protect other people, grow the gently caress up

this just reeks of high school libertarianism (which is all libertarianism really)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmaooooooo

i hate when upper-class queers talk up being conservative and attacked by the woke youth etc. like it wasn't that long ago the party you like to laud up wanted you in institutions (if you were lucky and not just raped and murdered). i mean she was a megaracist troll anyway so no surprise, but.

this acting thing should be good, she'll fall flat on her face i'm sure.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

She's been using her sexual orientation as a shield for publishing some truly vile poo poo for years.

gently caress her.

yeah it's frustrating because it also provides more ammunition for other assholes

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Ottawa health sent out a note this morning basically to this effect.

Rules haven't changed about eligibility yet though. Still need your first shot April 18th or earlier.

just to clarify that that is for ottawa specifically; local health units can set their own guidelines for access to second shots based on vaccine supply with the only hard and fast rules being 8 weeks for AZ and 28 days for mRNAs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in my local health unit anyone who got vaxxed on or before may 9th was able to book and get a shot for a week now. i’m hoping they move it to the 16th soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/natnewswatch/status/1405960554594848772?s=20