Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

I'd also like to bring up another aspect of the discussion that's really pissing me off: "they never taught us this in school."

That's probably true depending on where and when you went to school. And that should absolutely be changed, no question. But, again, these folks are telling on themselves. It's not like the stories weren't being told, it's not like the TRC wasn't covered when it was going on, and you're basically saying "they didn't spoonfeed this information to me as a captive audience, therefore I have no expectation of knowing it, because I have all the intellectual curiosity of a cucumber."

Do people graduate school and say to themselves, "right, well, that's over. Time to stop learning new things!" or something?

People tend to choose to be ignorant about subjects that make them uncomfortable, like most people are not going to willingly seek out uncomfortable topics. There are countless things in our everyday lives we choose to be ignorant about for our own "sanity." Examples range from things we ingest that are bad for us, to basically all the unethical and inhumane poo poo that goes into making our meat, and probably just every consumer good we buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Heck yeah got my first shot, arm sore, I can feel the 5G nanomachines working.

Arivia posted:

the funny thing is how the cop asks him if he has weapons and he's like "only my words and my mind" get the gently caress out of here you're not nelson mandela you're whining about how you had to wear a mask for a year and a half to protect other people, grow the gently caress up

A Cop, if only: HE'S GOT A WEAPON!!!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Feel like all y'all mixed dosers can appreciate this.
https://twitter.com/averycutedog/status/1415463389640355848?s=20

I think I'm just about 4 weeks out from my first dose; kind of hoping the pharmacy contacts me for the follow up soon so I don't have to spend the effort on my part figuring stuff out.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There's definitely pockets of ACAB, but its a bit more of specific subreddit thing. The Ottawa sub definitely has some of that, but then also has a lot of vocal crazies and/or gets regularly brigaded.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alctel posted:

Smallbusinesses.txt

[

At last the comments is everyone clowning on them

Oh no, won't someone think about the owners who need to work occasionally.

Like, how did they think "or having to close more they want to" would elicit sympathy? Oh sure, closing shift sucks, but yeah, maybe the person making the most money should be doing that sort of thing?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I took that as "not be open because we have no workers (because we pay poo poo)."

Oh, yeah, that'd make more sense. Coming right after a phrase of working 7 days a week it sounded more like a shift thing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

What is the causal relationship between being a worthless has-been and turning into a reactionary piece of poo poo? It seems like a bunch of washed up old musicians whose last notable work is now old enough to drink have the anti-vaxx brainworms.

There's money in the alt-right stan

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dogs are cool, but if you haven't been around a cool dog they can feel kind of overrated.

Same goes for almost any animal/pet to be honest.

Bleck posted:

I guess they're behind snakes (and mosquitoes if you count being a vector for disease), but they're still disconcertingly high on the list as an animal that we regularly cohabitate with?

Whatever, my point is I endorse the robot dogs.

please do not endorse the tool of police

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Randalor posted:

Dog owners are all kinds of hosed up. Now let me tell you all about why my cute wittle floofy kitty is the bestest pet ever (my cat is a loving murderer who enjoys playing God with any animal foolish enough to enter our yard)

lmao if your dog doesn't do that too

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alctel posted:

It's not even comparable

Outdoor cats are complete ruthless murder machines and should be banned in all municipalities tbh

I think the average outdoor cat kills on average 10 small animals/birds a day or something ridiculous
Wasn't trying to say it was; I agree that outdoor cats are a problem.

But my parents dog apparently got an unlucky bird or squirrel or two that made the mistake of being in the backyard. It's definitely not on the same level, but there's absolutely some dogs predisposed to murder, they just rarely get the opportunity.

Honestly I think the smarter approach to outdoor cats is focusing on the safety of the cat. You want your cat indoors because it means a healthier, longer lived cat. People don't care about birds and poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

BGrifter posted:

I’ve not used the scooters but I wholeheartedly support the project just so I get to read letters to the editor from angry old people about them.

Iunno, I'm with the angry old people, if only because this is some stupid silicon valley startup BS where the business model is to make it everyone else's problem.

At least, if they're anything like the ones I've heard about from some California based podcasts, the scooters have stupid anti-theft/tamper alarms that complain and/or speak at you if you try to move them and poo poo, as well as low battery alarms or some poo poo? One way another, they like they can be quite annoying even beyond someone zipping past you on one.

There's definitely potential here - I'd love to see better ways to get around cities that aren't reliant on cars, and more flexible or direct then public transit, but I think I'd rather like, an organized public approach that isn't just capitialistic chaos.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I shouldn't have to have a driver's license to drive, it infringes upon my freedoms. If you want to stay safe, you can always just protect yourself by being more cautious or staying off the road. We can't live in fear of crashes forever, so it should be okay for people to take no precautions if they don't want to.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

I hope the liberals loving get destroyed over this. A naked power grab election in the middle of the pandemic? No one loving wants this and it’s literally going to kill people. Get hosed JT.

Middle of the pandemic? Like yeah it's not over, but voting safely shouldn't be any harder or riskier then going to the grocery store for the last year and a half. Like, we've been in open'er up mode for over a month now. If we're all expected to do our civic duty of keeping the economy moving, an election doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

At this point it'll only kill anyone dumb enough to be anti vaxx but also very politically motivated. Like, we have some kind of mail in/remote voting right? Like if someone really doesn't want to go out in pubic, they have options, right?

Granted, JT should kind of go get hosed for lying about voting reform. I just don't know what I want more: Cons to get hosed into irrelevancy, or the Liberals to eat some humble pie for loving around.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Beelzebufo posted:

Vaccines are not a political issue, now let me take a stance entirely rooted in politics and at odds with the science.

Beat me too it lol.

"Vaccines are not political, so allow me to take the position opposite of my opponent, that just so happens to alight with the interests of groups in my political alignment."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Like an knock-off Mr Clean

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

pokeyman posted:

He wants either vaccination or constant annoying testing. Call it anti-vax if you like but there's a bit more to it.

I guess credit where credit is due, but it definitely seems like pandering to anti-vaxx.

Like at first it seems like a reasonable compromise, annoy people into vaccinating, but it feels like a game of chicken. Do you actually want people taking you up on that? "Regular rapid testing to keep workplaces safe" seems like a lot to manage.

While it focuses on the issue for federal employees, what do you do for everyone else? If you also expect small businesses to try to implement some kind of "rapid test required" just lol. Whereas a mandatory vaxx for public services and travel might actually have a knock-on effect for private business.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

I am exhausted with this entire process but hopeful that maybe this next version will be even better. And yes, this will be the third time.

Maybe the next version will just ban it outright rather then this "just not for kids" crap that pretends that people should be allowed to have the choice* to be subjected to religious brainwash torture.

* And by choice I mean "coerced through social pressure"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/GlobalBC/status/1428897932636565508?s=20

Real scab energy. Wonder if they'd ever do the same for a soup kitchen.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Saw a headline/topic on twitter "Ford government announces new Sept. 30 federal holiday will not be a stat holiday in Ontario" Sounded incredibly dumb at first - sure, just throw away some potential good will and easy political points from the working class.

Then, I looked up why that was being made a federal holiday.

Ontario will not make National Day for Truth and Reconciliation a provincial holiday

Oh. Of course, Ford's gotta appeal to the racists.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

It’s not supposed to be a holiday tbf. It’s supposed to be a day off work for national reflection and learning. I’m not betting there will be a lot of that from the people who do get it off.
Oh no doubt, I just find it funny that Doug Ford is unwilling to give people that.

Sort of makes me think of the crap people go on about how Nov 11th shouldn't be a stat holiday because it would ruin the meaning of it. Nevermind the banks, government employees, other provinces that already have it off.

Won't be surprised if they try to pull the same dishonest reasoning for not giving people the 30th off.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Did my vote early.

Surprised at just how few election signs I saw on my walk compared to last election.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

apatheticman posted:

This post reminded me that my advanced polling station was the exact same as my normal one so I just went.
My advanced station is a closer walk then my regular place, pretty great reason to vote early.

Poodlebear posted:

Wish I could vote for the NDP, unfortunately Singh is a racist
So are you just not voting, or did you find the secret not racist candidate?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pleads posted:

It's loving wild to me that the conservative premieres across the country are underwater on every loving poll for their poo poo policies and overt hatred of their own constituents and they represent the past, present, and future of the federal conservative party and yet somehow this election is 'close'.

It's all so loving stupid and I'm so very tired of everything sucking.
Doug Ford being elected in Ontario kinda gave me big "nothing matters" vibes. Just so many people vote right no matter who or what.

Kraftwerk posted:

And since everyone has the memory of a goldfish and the other parties are largely weak and ineffectual we will probably have conservative premiers getting re-elected too.
Feels like goldfish memory only applies to the PCs, because boy do I always have to hear about how the ONDP hosed up that one time or whatever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gosh, yeah, I remember wanting this parking garage for toy cars - I remember it having like, versions with more floors or something.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Some real Zap Branagan energy. "We'll hit the virus' kill limit!"

Also: "Here's a recovery plan with some chest hair on it" -crosses out all pandemic measures-

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

The person in the back isn't where customers are and wouldn't need to wear a mask anyway
Yeah, but they're where the food the customers are going to eat is.

Like, not sure I want a maskless person breathing on my food and more then I'd want one breathing on me. "Double vaxxed, dont need a mask" doesn't really fly as an excuse when entering a store, so I can't fault someone for being a little bit "wtf" about a person cooking their food and/or 10ft away from the people that do interact with, not wearing a mask. That said

Arc Hammer posted:

Working back end sucks because it's hot and sweaty enough without a mask.

But it's more dumb the person didn't just go somewhere else.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Franks Happy Place posted:

My only prediction for tonight is historically low turnout

Wasn't early voting ahead of what it was last election?

I guess that doesn't preclude lower overall.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lol

but also wasnt there some American teacher that did a black face in protest of vaccine mandates?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Otoole are complaining about losing and now he's dodging questions about a leadership review and blaming Trudeau for dividing the country.

Who are they divided between, O'Toole?

"Vote for us and not that other guy who is very bad and dumb" - man who hates division.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RBC posted:

If the ICUs in alberta are full of unvaccinated covid patients to the point where everyone else who needs icu care can't get it, yeah doctors are going to have to make those decisions.

This was my take away. Hearing that people are getting turned away from the ER / getting stuck waiting in the states because poo poo's full up with presumably unvaccinated people, is really kind of infuriating.

I don't want anyone to have to make choices between who lives or dies, or for anyone who has a low chance of survival not to get it. But the idea that me, a family member or friend, all could be at risk of not getting critical care because the hospital has a single bed taken up by someone who could have vaccinated, fills me with loving rage. The fact that people are not getting non-critical care they still need because idiots can't be bothered to suck it up and vaccinate pisses me off.

I'm just so tired of it all. I have so little sympathy for anti-vaxxers. They don't want to trust doctors until it means they're taking up a bed someone else could need.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

There’s a huge gulf between “the unvaccinated” and anti-vaxxers. Not everyone in all of these ICU beds is ride or die on ivermectin. Collectively as a society we have done an absolutely horrible job of providing good health information throughout the pandemic, and yes, we have plenty of lovely people preying upon the misinformed. Someone being unvaccinated doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to live. Medical professionals are trying to do outreach to unvaccinated people and are wading through tons of fear, uncertainty and doubt to do it.

Providing health care to everyone is a basic moral of Canadian society and we cannot jettison that because it would be convenient to deny care to people who just don’t know any better in the shitshow that is news and political discussion in 2021. If you want to get mad, get mad at Facebook and the Rebel, not some imagined person from Red Deer who needs a vent. Because that imagined person never received any understanding on media literacy and has been dealt a poo poo loving hand by grifters and the PPC.

e: here’s a CBC article that just got posted to that effect https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/forty-mile-county-alberta-vivien-suttorp-skiff-foremost-1.6187623 talking about how the situation is a lot more complicated than just thinking all 55% of the unvaccinated there are full-on anti-vaxxers. And all of that is going to go up like fire when Delta does get there. Those people deserve care just like you or me.

I feel like unvaccinated people are being presented with increasingly obvious choices: Get vaccinated, or start being increasingly excluded from society. People have increasingly less good reason to be vaccine-hesitant, for good and for "bad" reasons.

You aren't one bit wrong that not every unvaccinated person is not die-hard anti-vaxx, but the numbers are starting to get close to that point. You aren't wrong that those people still deserve medical care.

But it's hard not to be out of patience when every day is a new story about stuff like min wage workers being harassed for upholding vaccine passports.

I am plenty mad at facebook and rebel, I've said in other places many times that I don't even fully see the anti-vaxxers as the problem, but a tragedy of their own. But at some point it's hard not to be mad at the people who are part of the problem. Like, it's a lot easier to expect someone to just get over themselves and get the vaccine, then it is for Rebel Media, Fox News and Facebook to all cease to exist, and for medical disinformation to stop altogether.

I don't mean to be heartless, I just do not want to hear about more people being hurt as a side effect of the unvaccinated. I don't think anyone should be denied medical care, but when we start looking at triage, it's hard not to feel spiteful towards anti-vaxxers (and the unvaccinated by unfortunate proxy) Like imagine triage deciding a non-covid patient should be denied care because their chances of survival are lower then someone with covid, who could have never got covid if they just got vaccinated?

I don't know, maybe that's an unfair scenario, but it's hard not to feel like it's the exact sort of thing we're going to run into.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ARACHTION posted:

I for one can’t read a pluralized Michael without laughing.

I just keep thinking about the crafts store.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

"if some people have curated their own information about this and come to their own conclusions, we'll respect that"

Jason Kennedy should respect me curating my own information and coming to the conclusion that they are a child murderer

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

tagesschau posted:

Chinese real-estate investment is not, and never has been, the reason our home prices are too high. Dumb Canadians who borrow as much as they possibly can—more than their incomes will let them repay—are the reason.
I would have assumed people owning more houses then they need / using housing as speculative investment would be the problem.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Evis posted:

We could also change business hours twice a year. Work from 9-5 one half of the year and 8-4 the other half.

That wouldn't really solve the problems changing the clocks creates. Everyone changing their sleep schedules is the biggest problem of the clock change.

Clearly we should abolish work, then there'd be no reason to adjust sleep schedules. It'd have the added benefit of reducing workplace deaths too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Poodlebear posted:

Cops shouldn’t be held accountable to laws in the same way citizens are because they are asked to do things citizens don’t do.

Correct. They should be held to a far higher standard given the power and authority they wield. Cops all too often get the benefit of the doubt - in legal situations a cops' word is usually taken at face value.

I'll give some credit, yes, cops are fallible humans, and that's something that needs to be considered in all regards, but a lot of people feel like the more pressing matter is dealing with the fact that legal system treats that fallibility in a way that only protects cops, as opposed to recognizing that damage that fallibility can cause.

Like, we want to relate to that fallibility? Sometimes I do slopping programming work cause I want to call the work done and clock out. There's ample history of cops doing sloppy work because they just want to collect their paycheque.

Maybe cops should be afforded reasonable leeway in some places, but they sure as gently caress deserve all the scrutiny and oversight that should go with it. And yet, police unions exist to protect cops from basically any repercussions. In order to get thrown under the bus by a police union, it sure seems like you need to be wildly out of line. That or you try to hold other cops accountable.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 19, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/conversion-therapy-is-now-illegal-in-canada-1.5731911

quote:

OTTAWA -- Conversion therapy is now illegal in Canada, marking a major milestone in LGBTQ2S+ rights in this country.

After parliamentarians came together to unanimously pass legislation to eradicate the harmful practice in late 2021, the Criminal Code sanctions came into force on Jan. 7.

That means that now, anyone who looks to subject someone of any age, consenting or not, to so-called conversion therapy could face up to five years in prison.
Apologies if this has been posted already. I hadn't really kept up, so I'm really happy to see this is a full ban, and not some "well it's okay to do bigoted torture if it's an adult" crap.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Hoping for the death of people in general is really hosed up.

I dont want anyone to die, but given the choice between a petulant anti-vaxxer and anyone else, the choice is pretty easy tbh.

Like, it really doesn't sit well with me that people might die as a result of anti-vaxxers taking up hospital beds they would not have, had they vaccinated. That's also ignoring the ripple effect the system being overloaded has for people with non-critical stuff. Like how many people might end up not seeing a doc and having something caught early?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

Setting aside Mr. Simpson's analysis of that particular policy, the speed limit is actually a great example of risk-benefit tradeoffs. Otherwise we would lower it to walking speed and eliminate all traffic deaths.

I mean, we could also just design our cities better and eliminate a ton of traffic deaths, but that'd require meaningful effort as well as pissing off the car/oil lobbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

4 day workweek is the most liberal thing ever, it only really works for knowledge workers and government adult babysitter jobs who're top 5% already right? Any real/computer janitors get nothing out of it. I love it.

How do real computer people not get something out of 4x8? Feel like there's plenty of times where I just faff about at the end of the day not looking to start something new.

If it wasn't a worthless 4x10 trial, i'd say this is some real "we can't raise min wage cause it does nothing for people slightly over min wage" take.