Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

PT6A posted:

As much as I think it's important to actually find the bodies of these victims, I can't shake the feeling that some people are focusing on the wrong aspect of this. This wasn't a mystery, we knew children were being neglected, abused and killed because survivors told us. The discovery of mass graves that resulted from this is outrageous, and it's a sad reminder of what went on, but it shouldn't be a surprise unless you a) didn't believe the stories or b) imagined that all the bodies of the victims simply vanished into non-existence.

These children were dead long before the graves were found, and we knew they were dead because someone killed them, someone buried them, and a bunch of other children knew, and watched, and remembered even if they couldn't do anything about it. They told their stories, those stories have been documented, and the shock at the discovery of these graves has a distinct whiff of "oh my god, I didn't think they were telling the whole truth!"

This is true. It was heartbreaking to hear about the discovery, but I was not the least bit shocked or surprised. It just confirmed what I already believed from the stories that were told. The people acting like this is some unexpected shocker are really telling on themselves, tbh. They'll hide behind the usual excuses of "Well I don't judge without evidence" and so on, but that's just telling me they thought it was all made up before, or the abuse wasn't as bad as the survivors claimed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Entropic posted:

The fact of the bodies isn't or shouldn't be particularly surprising, we know what was going on. But there's a combination of ugly things going on the Canadian pysche when it comes to residential schools:
- The white public has generally assimilated that the schools were "bad" but haven't really confronted how bad. By and large, we haven't believed the stories native survivors told, or we assumed the worst stories were hyperbole. I think a lot of people think of the residential schools as being basically just strict boarding schools. If pressed they'll acknowledge that there was particular racist cultural supression going on by punishing kids for speaking their own languague and things like that, but most people's mental image is of traditional victorian boarding school or something. For decades survivors have been saying that a lot of kids just didn't come back from those schools and the full scope of that claim and its implications was not believed or was ignored by the general public.
- There is still very much an attitude among a lot of people of "well, sure, we mistreated them, but before we came along they were living in the woods like savages and probably had a good chance of dying young anyway so we basically did them a favour".
- The residential schools are thought of as being "something that happened in ye olde past times" in the general Canadian consciousness despite the fact that the last ones only closed in the loving 1990s.
- None of this was even mentioned in Canadian elementary / high school history classes until shockingly recently. I certainly heard nothing about it in the late '90s.

I mean O'Toole was talking about "Hey, they were just trying to teach these kids English and Math and it got out of hand" earlier this year, or late last year or something, wasn't he?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Pallister wants retroactive wage rollbacks for nurses for the past four years and the average payback would be $20k.

Not that I have any trouble believing this about Pallister, but is there a link to a source for it? I'm not finding anything via Google search or the CBC MB site.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

What I meant by "just stories" before was that there was nothing tangible. Nothing physical to remind people with. Some people cannot comprehend until they have something to see with their own eyes. One of the reasons the Verdun ossuary is so powerful.

If it wasn't hugely disrespectful to those children, put them in an ossuary where that idiotic victims of communism memorial is supposed to go. Make it a huge, screaming banner saying WE DID THIS, WE ARE RESPONSIBLE.

I mean, the uh, living breathing human beings who survived the schools to tell those stories are pretty fuckin' tangible.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Saalkin posted:

People watch the CFL? I was under the impression that whole thing was a money laundering scheme.

Every year Winnipeg Blue Bomber and Saskatchewan Roughriders fans engage in a heated display of competitiveness that is ten times more furious than something as low stakes as a CFL game has any right to be.,

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Alctel posted:

Ok I give up. Everyone I know is actually secretly intensely racist and online comments are an excellent way to get a representation of how everyone actually thinks

Unless the place you live in is made up only of yourself and your own intimate contacts, then a non-insignificant portion of the people who live there statistically hold racist or otherwise regressive views. That's why the comments section in your local news outlets looks like it does, and pretending it's just backwards boomers is denial to the reality that there's a lot of Gen Xers, Millennials and Zoomers who have lovely views in every community of any decent size and demographic diversity.

I very much doubt "Everyone you know is secretly intensely racist" and nobody said that, just that putting your head in the sand to certain realities is naïve.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Lmao, congrats Manitoba, we can't go for a walk outside with our friends but we were able to create a specific exemption for hockey games

https://twitter.com/stevelambertwpg/status/1400156670370713612?s=20

Our Province is so deep in the pocket of True North that this isn't even surprising.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

RBC posted:

Governing party leaders are for all intents and purposes, all powerful within their party and impossible to remove and to my knowledge, this has never happened in canadian history.

Not exactly true. In 2014 the MB NDP caucus attempted to remove Greg Selinger from his seat as premiere because they felt he was tanking the party's position of power (he had to raise PST in order to repair damages and upgrade infrastructure following disastrously unprecedented flooding of the Interlake region in 2011, previous to that all our floodway infrastructure was more focused around lake Winnipeg and the Red River as that's where the flooding typically happened).

Led by Theresa Oswald, they had what the media described as mutiny to vote Selinger out and install Oswald as new premiere. It failed, the whole thing was very public and damaging PR-wise and while the NDP's position was slightly shaky due to Selinger's taxation decisions (among other things I don't recall atm), this mutiny almost definitely put the final nail in the coffin for the MB NDPs almost 2 decade run as a majority government, ushering in everybody's favorite son of a bitch Pallister into power in 2016.

(EDIT: It has been nearly a decade since most of this went down so my memory is likely spotty on the details, so if I got any of this wrong I don't mind being corrected by more well-informed goons on the subject)

Willatron fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 7, 2021

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

The PST increase is always thrown out as the reason for the NDPs decline in popularity in Manitoba but the party was already declining in popularity due to the PCs baseless attacks on major infrastructure projects like BiPole III and the Keeyask dam and the state of Hydros finances. The PST was kind of a final nail in the coffin type of thing that was generally unpopular because Selinger had promised not to raise the PST during the 2011 campaign only 2 months earlier. The other issue the NDP faced was rot within the party, they were a combination of career back benchers and career climbers that were only interested in popularity so they could stay employed. In general the NDP began to completely fall apart when the economy started slipping and they couldn't effectively get the message out why deficit spending is good and why we needed big infrastructure now.

As for the leadership election, the rumour has always been that Steve Ashton only ran to draw votes from Oswald and there was some sort of closed back door meeting with some union delegates to ensure Ashtons delegates moved to Selinger on the second ballot. This was pretty well reported and further eroded trust in Selinger.

Thanks for the primer! God, it's so lovely how that all played out. The current MB NDP doesn't seem at all like the same party Selinger was leading but they get to carry all the baggage his administration created anyway, plus Wab's history to boot. I don't particularly hold any of it against them but I know a lot of people do.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

If nurses go on strike this week it's gonna shine a spotlight on all the problems he has caused.

He's already trying to spin the huge uptick in labour disputes since the PCs took power as a positive, saying that the only reason there were fewer labour disputes under the NDP is "nobody was sticking up for the taxpayer."

So there you have it. It's good, actually, that several public labour unions are in disputes with the province or about to strike. It means Pallister is doing a good job.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
The NDP was instead wasting time directing funds to people to rebuild frivolous things like their homes after the 2011 flood. I know this because my parents were the recipients of such aid.

And even that got a bunch of flak because of how much it cost. The PCs are so full of poo poo.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I feel pretty confident in assuming every one of these statues cons cry about getting torn down have gone unacknowledged and ignored by every single last one of them right up until the people those men historically oppressed or murdered decided they'd had enough of seeing them deified at schools, public spaces and government buildings every god drat day.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
gently caress but can those austerity goblins in the MB legislature seem to find millions of dollars laying around for anything BUT teachers or nurses.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Randalor posted:

So apparently Pallister still hasn't actually said what his plans are for reopening Manitoba. How the gently caress are we over a year into the pandemic, and over a month after poo poo had officially hit the fan for Manitoba, and he's still just kinda shrugging and going "I unno. I mean, we have ideas on what to do, but... I unno. Maybe we can open for Canada Day or something?"

Also, if we had no plans on how to reopen after poo poo hit the fan, WHAT THE gently caress WAS RESTARTMB? I mean, in theory you had a plan from before! Why not just... oh, I unno... STICK TO THE PLAN YOU loving NUMBNUT. Or crib the reopening plan from *checks notes* LITERALLY ANY OTHER PROVINCE. I mean, even Doug "Denser than particularly dense osmium" Ford managed to pull SOMETHING out of his rear end.

With cases still over 100 a day and nurses having just gone on strike I feel like announcing a vague, non-committal reopening plan had a lot more to do with happy distraction than actually putting a solid plan out there.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Randalor posted:

Oh poo poo the nurses went on strike? About drat time. I know they're going to get a ton of flak from idiots, but nurses have really been treated like poo poo by Pallister's government ever since he came in and this was a long time coming. I hope they're able to get what they rightly deserve after all this time (as in, proper contracts, higher pay and overall better working conditions, not the other implication of "what they deserve").

98% of the Union voted in support. Pretty damning indictment of the PCs handling of the situation, but then Pallister thinks increased labour disputes and strikes are a sign he's doing a good job because somebody is "sticking up for the taxpayers."

I hope they get all their demands met.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Holy gently caress I love this so much

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I don't know much about the Federal Greens, admittedly, though have heard about their love of holistic remedies. The local MB green party have been pretty accurately described as Conservatives on Bikes. A lot of support for environmental protection, but also a lot of poo poo like flat tax rates that favour the rich.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I hope to god you're wrong and I can tell you to gently caress off for doomposting.

Agreed, I find that very doomposting, not to mention that charming condescension toward other Manitobans that a lot of Manitobans seem to harbour. I know a lot of people fuckin' pissed at the PCs as a whole, not just Pallister, and it goes far beyond his pandemic response. The PCs are getting a TON of flak for creating multiple labour disputes including a likely nursing strike, trying to open up private family owned farmland up to bidding from agricorps, their attempts to politicize school administration are seeing NO support that they've been able to name when asked directly.

Like, this is Filmon government level hate for the PCs, which kept them out of power for nearly two decades last time they were this widely despised. I don't see it just going away, especially since the PCs are likely to keep on their bullshit right up until the next election. They know they're burning their support, they don't care as long as they can get the legislation they want passed before 2023.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

I would love to be wrong but as a counterargument we live in Manitoba.

Sure.

So they put Heather Stefanson in charge, Goertzen remains the hatchet guy, Friesen remains the money guy, Cullen just fades into whatever he was never important, Bill 64 is only partially implemented (still a win in the PC eyes), and hopefully enough Manitobans don't give enough of a gently caress about what happened during the pandemic or if they do, they blame it on the tall man who was "banished" to another country.

If I were a PC strategist, that's the path I'd see for the party and it's all in place. Get angry about "doomposting" but Manitoba political history is technically "doomposting" then because it's been a huge back and forth on infinite repeat machine for a long time now. Otherwise, show me the roadmap to NDP victory right now that is actual strategy beyond "the conservatives have really hosed up" because yes it's probably there but it doesn't look as clear. I'd LOVE to see it happen too, don't get me wrong.

I'm willing to wait until closer to the actual election to see what the NDP have to offer. It's not a condemnation against them not to have a publicly shared platform or plan already out there for how they're going to fix the damages on a house that's still burning down.

You're not wrong exactly, just that the current NDP party is pretty far removed from the NDP party of Greg Selinger that poo poo the bed in the lead up to 2016, so I'm at least going to hold onto some small optimism that people like Uzoma, Nahanni and Wab can present some kind of sound strategy that actually makes people want to vote for them. Like, it strikes me as doomposting because yes, 2 years gives the PC strategists time to try and turn this dismal approval around, but they will instead likely continuing loving up everything they can in the name of "the economy", meanwhile the NDP have 2 years to strategize a platform for 2023 that may demonstrate how they plan to start fixing this poo poo.

Considering the governments of Alberta, Ontario and Sask right now, "We Live in Manitoba" isn't an argument for or against anything, because clearly the electorates in other provinces can make lovely choices just as well as we do.

Willatron fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 18, 2021

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Starks posted:

I actually didn't realize the government was still fighting further reparations after Kamloops. Absolutely insane how the PM can say whatever he wants about how sorry he is for genocide while one of his ministers fights reconciliation in court. https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/reparations-residential-school-1.6050501

Ah but according to the Liberals and Cons it wasn't a genocide! Sure, when they describe with happened it accurately describes a genocide perpetrated upon a colonized people in an apartheid state, SURE, it checks every box to line up with the Geneva Convention's definition of a genocide, but so long as they never say the G-Word they never have to admit Canada perpetrated a genocide!

Honestly hope the UN and International Courts get their loving claws into this country over this.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

forest spirit posted:

Poking someone is very annoying, and we don't want to annoy China, and also we're not angels, so don't rock the boat and let the Chinese continue their forced sterilizations

China will continue the forced sterilizations regardless. As will certain Canadian social work agencies and hospitals.

I actually don't see the value in condemning China's human rights abuses, which are real and heinous, while Canada continues to enact policies of genocide and digs up the remains to the surprise of nobody indigenous or who's been paying even a bit of attention to this country for the past 150 years. Unless Canada is both planning to actually take up the recommendations put forth by the TRC and abide by UNDRIP, they can shut the gently caress up about it as far as my Metis rear end is concerned.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

forest spirit posted:

Well I mean China is pedal-to-the-metal genociding while we're easing off of the gas. I think it's fair to criticize a global superpower while dealing with our own insane issues. As far as my Inuit rear end is concerned

Agree to disagree then, I don't think Canada has a moral leg to stand on anymore than the US in this regard. "Easing off the gas pedal" is a pretty generous interpretation of how things currently stand between Indigenous peoples and the Canadian government, imo, the genocide has just been more effectively hidden behind hospital sterilizations, lack of livable conditions on Northern reserves and CFS. Plus I don't see what criticizing China is going to do for the Muslim minority they're trying to wipe out, especially not with Canada's dirty laundry currently making international headlines. China isn't going to give a gently caress with such an easily deflected criticism by simply pointing back and saying "No u" because we're talking about a bunch of imperialist assholes here.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Madkal posted:

This feels like whataboutism mixed with a tankyism.

Just because Canada has a lovely record doesn't mean they have to ignore the lovely current record of another country and China cynically calling Canada out and people ignoring the cynicism so they can say "Canada is worse and shouldn't criticize" is kind of amazing.
Regardless of history and on going practices Canada should absolutely call out China and their actions.

Then it's just as valid for China to call out Canada out on it's lovely practices. In the end it's just an imperialist state calling out a colonial one and vice versa, using human rights issues as political fodder in one upping each other. It's completely meaningless and doesn't help either the Uighurs or Indigenous peoples of North America.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Madkal posted:

Let me know when China has a TRC. At least Canada is acknowledging is screwed up racist history and as stated China is acting in the most cynical way possible and people are willing to accept it.

True true. China has not published a comprehensive internal report of their own misdeeds, and then gone on to deny it was a genocide and proceed to do virtually nothing about any of it.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

fancy stats posted:

That's hardly fair, they are actively fighting against reparations in some cases.

Wow, that's heinous. What kind of government would do such a thing?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/ottawa-st-anne-residential-school-court-costs-1.5809846

EDIT: Leaving the link for posterity, but I misread your message initially as defending the Cdn government, my b

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Orthanc6 posted:

Every country has substantial economic relations with China, which is currently genociding their Uighur citizens. Literally everyone on Earth is a hypocrite for something that is important to them, we can't let that stop us from calling out bad things cause it would literally stop us from calling out anything, ever. Call out atrocities when you see them, admit your own when they are called out. That's all that can be done if we want to fix anything at all.

I condemn what China is doing. I'm sure you do too. That doesn't change the fact that when self-serving governments do it, often in direct contradiction to their own problematic policies such as in this case, it's really important to call THAT out for what it is. Indigenous people, Uighurs, whomever, are not just poker chips to be used as leverage in geopolitical poker games. I resent that notion and I'll certainly call it out when I see it happening.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Did she call it a genocide? Honest question, because Liberals were still refusing to do that last I checked.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Stephen Harper is living an easy life as the head of a "consulting firm" probably making stacks and staying out of the limelight, why the gently caress would he go back to politics?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

bub spank posted:

Pretty sure they'd still have a stranglehold on the prairies and rural BC. Might lose some seats in Regina, Edmonton, and Saskatoon, but likely won't. I don't know what's up with Saskatchewan in the past 10-15 years, but the NDP brand no longer seems electable here, either provincially and federally.

You can run a dead dog in southern rural MB and it would still beat out any other party so long as it was the blue candidate. Some because they still oppose gay marriage, others because they just don't give a poo poo either way.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Has anyone ever written a book on how SK/MB went from being the birth place of the NDP to being staunch Conservative hellholes? Northern Ontario kind of fits into this lately too.

I don't know when the NDP lost any semblance of a chance of winning southern rural areas in MB, but they still retain their traditional strongholds in Winnipeg's inner city and North End neighborhoods for the most part, and the rural Northern ridings are all orange too.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

David Chartrand from the MMF is calling Pallister on a lot of poo poo right now.

Where can I read about this? David Chartrand is kind of a dumbass leader of our people who tends to lick boots to whichever federal party is in power, so it's interesting when he actually stands up and acts like some kind of leader (which does occasionally happen)

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh he was in total rear end licking mode today talking about how amazing Trudeau has been for the Metis, but he was also screaming bloody murder at Pallister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVSwdPiegEw

About halfway through he went on his tirade.

You know what, gently caress it. This is a great step forward, we finally achieved recognized self-governance and while I wouldn't have voted for him Chartrand is the elected leader of a recognized Metis Nation of Manitoba. If he got it through bootlicking to the feds, so be it, maybe they wouldn't have conceded this to us if they didn't have a puppet like him at the helm, but now I can register as a citizen of the Metis Nation and maybe actually feel like it's worth voting for someone else. I'll give him props for securing this for us.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
"Violent protests aren't effective" says the man in charge of the Province that famously hosted the General Strike of 1919 which involved street battles with police and military personnel, property damage and ushered in new labour legislation as a result. For gently caress's sake, an overturned streetcar is now a monument itself to a very effective violent protest.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Yeah I read it as the MB PCs set plans with arbitrary goals and measures and anything that deviates from the plan, even when it's a positive like people vaccinating faster than expected, is to be ignored. It's rare that PC bullheaded policy results in something good, but I still see it for what it is.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

lol I hope that PI wrote up a list of bullshit expense claims a mile long.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

"If you're young and conservative, you have no heart: if you're old and liberal, you have no brain!" was conventional wisdom in my household growing up.

Yeah but this saying was coined by people whose fortunes and quality of life generally improved as they got older. It makes zero sense to anybody born after 1975 or so.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Starks posted:

At least in Toronto, these encampments aren't really in poor neighbourhoods. They're mostly in gentrifying or recently gentrified downtown areas where housing is unaffordable but that still have the infrastructure in place to support the unhoused and addicted: shelters, needle exchange, soup kitchens, detox centres, etc. There are no tents in Jane and Finch or Galloway; that's exactly why there's so much urgency and outrage over them. Even in Moss Park, which is still low income on paper, homes are selling for 1M+. The developers and property owners know that taking out the encampments won't get rid of the unhoused, the ultimate goal is to get those services and amenities shut down or moved to lower property value areas. Which, ironically, is why those amenities were put in these neighbourhoods when they were first built. It's all part of a cycle that increases income inequality and reduces social services for the vulnerable.

You can see this happening in real time in Winnipeg's downtown core today. Multi million dollar high rise condo developments going up alongside upscale bars and dining establishments while the homeless camp out in bus shacks along the street, despite decades of affordable housing advocates presenting dozens of solutions to revive the downtown area for the people who actually live here that wouldn't involve selling chunks of our core out to Toronto based developers to create islands of gentrified living and amenities geared toward suburban hockey fans amidst a sea of poverty and homelessness. It's pathetic how badly this city fails it's most vulnerable citizens to cater to the wealthy and police.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
The outdoor cat ban thing is applicable to suburban or urban communities, but in rural municipalities it's not as black and white. My parents live in a rural area and literally cannot go without a good outdoor mouser cat. The one year they didn't have a cat (in between one dying of old age and finding a new one) they had a mouse infestation in their crawl space under the house. The alternative is using expensive and potentially dangerous traps and poisons, which is silly when one good outdoor cat will keep their house rodent free.

Yes outdoor cats kill a lot of small animals in their bloodlust, but keep in mind in some places there are a LOT of small animals that become a problem themselves if they aren't kept in check. Plus cats are territorial, so it isn't like their cat is going around town killing every animal in sight, she's protecting and hunting in a territory that probably doesn't extend past their property line by much if at all.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Sashimi posted:

lmao if people rightly call the conservative premiers on their murderous policies and it gives Truedau a majority

In Manitoba at least there's a LOT of hate for Pallister. Not just for how the PCs have handled the pandemic though that is a very very big part of it. I don't see this easing up of restrictions just as we were getting a handle on things again is going to go over any better for his administration than the last time he did the exact same thing. We're a lot more vaccinated now, but that doesn't mean there aren't enough unvaccinated people to clog up our hospitals and pump up the death count by a significant degree yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
My MLA posted that a lot of downtown Winnipeg businesses are deciding to keep their mask mandates in place, so at least not everybody has lost their goddamn minds over the simplest and easiest way to slow spread of Delta.