Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I hope this political neophyte Justin Trudeau has what it takes to bring clean water to indigenous canadians and push through electoral reform!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

We did get trudeau to apologize to italian fascists, so that's something

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Lmao you suck in every possible way dude

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Vasler posted:

I never thought the "just had a shower after a run" guy would also be a mug pisser. Oh Canada indeed.

Hope he remembered to dump it and didn't leave it on his desk........

Now to rejoin the meeting and take a biiiiig sip of coffee!

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I've learned nothing in grad school, not sure if that's my fault or not

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

What I meant by "just stories" before was that there was nothing tangible. Nothing physical to remind people with. Some people cannot comprehend until they have something to see with their own eyes. One of the reasons the Verdun ossuary is so powerful.

If it wasn't hugely disrespectful to those children, put them in an ossuary where that idiotic victims of communism memorial is supposed to go. Make it a huge, screaming banner saying WE DID THIS, WE ARE RESPONSIBLE.

Also disrespectful to the living relatives of those children

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

PT6A posted:

I mean, no offence meant, but what is the other possibility? We knew children would simply “disappear” so where exactly did you think they were ending up?
I think there's a large propaganda machine in Canada dedicated to ideas like the residential school system was for the benefit of children, or that the acrimony between indigenous people and the government is based on cultural differences and not a history of colonialism and modern genocide.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

And that kid's name? Albert Einstein.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah it undermines confidence in public health measures when the leaders responsible for them don't observe them, whether or not some of them are kinda stupid

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/SeanCarleton/status/1400902954509496321

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Look I just want to chop trees and dig holes. Leave these mobs in peace

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/dril/status/972534838057230336?lang=en

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

That's the photo they're gonna use, huh

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

infernal machines posted:

What the gently caress? How does that happen in Toronto in 2021?

I mean in the sense of "How was there not a group of other Torontonians around to step in and if necessary tune up the aggressors?". The mind boggles.

According to the gofundme:

quote:

In short, David and a friend found themselves in danger when they were outnumbered by a group of folks (approx 5+) shouting and hurling homophobic slurs at them until things reached a boiling point, which compelled the attackers to become violent, leaving David incapacitated and in need of serious medical attention.

There were apparently bystanders, INCLUDING the police, who made a shallow attempt at calming tempers. We're working on getting testimonies from those at the scene of this crime. It's maddening to think that during PRIDE MONTH, we still have to watch our backs in areas like Hanlan's that have served as an enclave and safe haven for the queer community for as long as some of us can remember.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

prom candy posted:

Your own personal kelsey's
Someone to hear your prayers

Sometimes dreams come true

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I believe Super Geniuses are forced to register their brains as Deadly Weapons, if he defeats someone in verbal combat he could go to jail (again)

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Change places!!!!
https://twitter.com/robferguson1/status/1405941697348046850

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Everyone's gonna have to change their default cisco hold music

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah what I'd like to hear someone say is "we don't know the effectiveness of mixing vaccines, but the 1st vaccine dose is eliminated from the body super-quickly and is long gone by the 2nd dose, so there's no mechanism by which mixing the doses could seriously harm you (besides the rare side effects of the vaccine itself)"

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

How are we going to triple cancel canada day????

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

go ahead. keep vandalizing churches. it only makes my opinions Worse

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Tochiazuma posted:

If Covid was accidentally released by China it makes our shambles of a response to it a good thing don't you see

This is the crux of it, politicians and industries will push this gain-of-function narrative because it implies that China is more culpable than they are for their insufficient public health measures

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

prom candy posted:

Hot prediction: Ontario going into stage 3 is not going to lead to a significant spike in hospitalizations or deaths, even if it does lead to an increase in cases. Our vax numbers are solid and improving significantly every day. A single dose offers good protection against severe illness (including delta) and a lot of the holdouts are in the demographic that's lower risk for severe covid anyway.

I'd agree, but I think the summer is gonna be a big part of it; people are spending a lot of time outdoors and like last year that's gonna keep cases low. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the winter, when people are inside all the time and when most if not all restrictions will likely have ended; that'll be when we see how successful our vaccine program was.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Chicken posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/playground-planned-for-former-victoria-tent-city-site-1.3833185

Apparently when the homeless camp in Victoria was cleaned up a few years ago they removed most of the soil in the park due to contamination from drugs, fuel spills, and human waste. The above article is the best I could find and I suspect the drugs were the least of the worries there but I don't know for sure. They also turned it into a playground which might have lower tolerance for contamination than if it was going to be something else.

I think this stuff must be for optics. I can't imagine the soil being so meth-infested that rain wouldn't wash it away. It's not like addicts are scrounging around the soil snorting hits of dirt

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah I think the problem is when people see encampments and go "these things are unsightly, so better to sweep it under the rug where I don't have to see it"; advocates and homeless people have long been advocating for injection sites, affordable housing, more shelters, etc. and largely been ignored over the past few decades, so the encampments and needles lying around are the result of not taking action sooner. Get this: clearing out encampments is not going to get rid of drugs or homelessness.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

We see camp's burn here all the time. They also very quickly fill with trash and hazards. The bigger the camp's get the more thefts assaults and arsons happen in the area.
The number of fires in encampments has been greatly exaggerated (but for what purpose?? how mysterious): https://factchecktoronto.ca/2021/06/07/encampment-fires/

The city also has not complied with recommendations from the Ontario chief coroner to provide fire-retardant tents and blankets and safe camping stoves to encampments: https://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english/Deathinvestigations/Inquests/Verdictsandrecommendations/OCCInquestFaulkner2018.html

EvilJoven posted:

Screaming at people for choosing the bad option while doing nothing to provide an actual good option just makes you a privileged wokescold Liberal, imo.
Again, advocates have been asking the city for years to improve the conditions of shelters and access to affordable housing:
https://tdin.ca/announcement.php?id=2355
The city just ignores it. Advocates and homeless people want actual good options, it's the city and NextDoor creepazoids who want bulldozers.

Also important, but as mentioned earlier, bulldozing encampments changes literally nothing; they just pop up somewhere else.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

pokeyman posted:

The pandemic ends one way or another. Is there an advantage to drawing it out?

Responsible political leaders could use the time to scale up healthcare and ICU capacity, but fat chance of that happening

I don't really see a good reason to remove mask mandates though. they are so easy to wear and have no drawbacks, I have no idea how this issue became so divisive

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

They probably had some business group tell them that too many people were missing work due to covid or exposure so they made it do you pretty much have to be dying to get tested now.

That makes the most sense to me, positive test = sick time

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

I've never understood the sweat issue either. For some reason cyclists think they have to be racing the Gran Fondue or some poo poo. Pedal bikes don't have to be any more sweaty than a light stroll.
I'm on team bike, but it's basically impossible for me not to work up a sweat while climbing a hill, plus due to the seat it all accumulates and gives me a real bad case of Bog rear end. I usually bring a change of clothes everywhere

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

At the beginning of the pandemic there was the perception that public health officers took the pandemic seriously and wouldn't bend to political or corporate pressure to downplay COVID or roll back restrictions. Obviously this has been disproven many times over, and now it feels like liberals praising the sort of republican who mildly criticized Trump as soon as they started to worry that their career would suffer

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding anti-vaxxers. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them".

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Guaranteed sick time for workers, a safe school reopening plan, and a plan to vaccinate children under 12 would go a long way to controlling further outbreaks. Unfortunately all of these things have been indefinitely deferred with the expectation that the pandemic would just disappear eventually

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Bleck posted:

Do they... check, that a funeral is actually happening, somewhere?
Maybe they ask for a copy of the death certificate?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

PT6A posted:

Finally have a bio on my NDP candidate, and... same, honestly.

https://juanestevezmoreno.ndp.ca/

Why does he look like a Young Conservative?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Huh, I thought it was the hair that made him look conservative. Guess I was wrong. In any case, the lack of asymmetric tie knot is a dead giveaway for non-conservative

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

You can identify the PPC candidate by his very sinister vibes

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

saintonan posted:

Why is she stuck in a tree?

Happens to horses all the time

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Gotta drum up tourism in a pandemic somehow!!

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I find it hard to believe that things would've gone differently even with a more competent reformer at the helm. I also think that, while I think it's credible that there are issues with Sloly's leadership, the OPS absolutely used the events of the convoy in order to turf a reformer that they didn't like, and used the fact that Sloly was a reformer and a bad boss to excuse their inaction (something that probably would've happened anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

This is the "norm" now. Meetings with more than 5 people get cancelled because somebody has covid, schools have "returned to normal" but there's more than 10% of the school population gone at any time with covid and their are no substitute teachers for the 3-4 teachers who are always out with covid, you wait for a bus and it's not running because too many drivers have covid so while you wait you stop in to grab a slice at your favourite pizza hole-in-the-wall but it's close because 3 of the staff have covid.

But don't worry, we're returning to normal.
Everyone does whatever they want, society did break down, it's terrible, and it's great!