Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
I get the Russian invasion is crippling to MP's brains and their ability to remember anything outside extreme bloodlust for Russian bodies, but :wtc: a full standing ovation for a Nazi collaborator?
https://forward.com/fast-forward/561927/zelenskyy-joins-canadian-parliaments-ovation-to-98-year-old-veteran-who-fought-with-nazis/

Forward News posted:

The Canadian Parliament gave a standing ovation on Friday to a 98-year-old immigrant from Ukraine who fought in a Third Reich military formation accused of war crimes.

The elderly veteran, Yaroslav Hunka was honored during a session in which President Volodomyr Zelenskyy of Ukraine addressed the lawmakers to thank them for their support since Russia invaded his country, saying Canada has always been on “the bright side of history.” The  Speaker of the House of Commons, Anthony Rota — who had compared Zelenskyy to Winston Churchill — recognized a “veteran from the Second World War who fought for Ukrainian independence against the Russians and continues to support the troops today even at his age of 98.” 

The assembly then rose to applaud a man in a khaki uniform standing on the balcony, who saluted, according to this screenshot from Canadian television. 

The AP caption described Hunka as having “fought with the First Ukrainian Division in World War II before later immigrating to Canada.” The First Ukrainian Division is another name for the 14th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS, the military wing of the Nazi Party; the unit was also called SS Galichina.

This is the same unit that is honored by controversial monuments in Canada, Australia, and, as the Forward recently exposed, the suburbs of Philadelphia and Detroit. Jewish groups have called for their removal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Mederlock posted:

This comment is going to need a little more context. What exactly do you mean by that?

Nobody here stopped to think "Hey wait, if they were fighting against the Russians in WW2 that means they were fighting with... Oh well, they killed Russians!" instead of following the logical conclusion of "Oh, he was a Nazi..."

Edit to clarify after having read the thread (long rear end day driving): While I have some mixed feelings about us giving weapons to Ukraine knowing their existing issues with Nazism/Ethno Nationalism and what the blowback is going to be if those groups grow in power and influence after this, Russian Aggression is unambiguously evil here and I dont have problems with us arming/supporting Ukraine other than the above stated concern which I feel is totally trumped by wanting to support Ukranian self-determination and defense. Hopefully Russia comes to realize this whole thing was a terrible idea and we can get some treaty, but I don't have high hopes.

Newfie fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 25, 2023

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Mr. Apollo posted:

There were partisan groups who were fighting the Nazis and then later the Russians once it became clear that they had no plans to leave or fought the Russians starting in 1939. However, generally speaking, “fighting the Russians” without mentioning “fighting the Nazis” or they only fought the Russians starting in 1941 should immediately raise red flags.

Would there have been any partisan still alive today? I know they existed but operated in small groups and didn't reveal themselves after the war for fear of reprisal. It's almost always one of the ol Waffen SS guys they manage to find.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

TheCenturion posted:

Honestly? Most people vote along strict party lines.

Yeah that's absolutely the case in the maritimes. It's place where you're either committed to a party, probably due to some ancient blood oath you had to swear with the church, or you're voting for the person. Canada not directly voting for the PM I think has more to do with the outcome of the last election than anything, but we're all getting American brain and people are completely cooked saying poo poo like "I'M NOT VOTING FOR TRUDEAU NEXT TIME!" which, my guy, you live in Come by Chance, you didn't vote for him the first time.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Powershift posted:

Doctors who prescribe right wing meme drugs off-label.

I hope we get some real envelope pushing doctors go to Alberta and start prescribing mushrooms after the ucp inevitably gently caress up the wording of this bill if/when they pass it.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Powershift posted:

Housing affordability was in the 2015 platform.

Literally any of that probably would have massively changed the current state of housing in Canada. Newfoundland and Labrador is actually hell. I work helping folks who are getting evicted, we have 3 month automatic no fault evictions and no cap on yearly rental increases. Naturally we now have a tent city outside our house of commons.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

ARACHTION posted:

Hey good news for once! Anti scab legislation brought to parliament today:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7023020

Ngl, I had written off ever voting again after the complete making GBS threads on those of us that supported the LPC because they promised a fair voting system, but this is a big enough piece of legislation that if it passes and does what they're claiming I would consider voting for Seamus O'Reagan. I know their stance on literally everything else is dogshit in the LPC, but real anti scab legislation would be the biggest labour rights bill passed in decades. Thankfully there's zero chance by the second reading it does anything other than say the government will wag their finger and tut when scabs are hired so I can go back to spoiling my ballot.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

DaysBefore posted:

We elected a party with the explicit goal of sweeping electoral reform but that didn't work out either lol

They even did a big dumb official paper with the other parties and scientists contributing and just wiped their rear end with it. Woulda been cool if the NDP twisted their arm on that with the agreement to prop the liberals up, but Singh is just completely afraid to flex any muscle he has. They just keep up the comical idea the NDP might form government under fptp.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Kraftwerk posted:

Random question :
Do you guys have an ideological commitment to democracy that you’d still vote yes to electoral reform even if it benefits the conservatives?

Like let’s say the electoral preferences of the country skewed further right and FPTP actually benefitted left wing parties, would you still want electoral reform?

I don't think an, electoral system is going to cause it to skew further right. Like where are we going to see a big swell of conservatives that gain in a representative form but wouldn't also give them big wins in a fptp election? Personally my commitment to democratic reform is it gives a broader number of voices space in the system. If that somehow means that conservatives gain more power, it means we hosed up building a movement and probably suffer our losses like the LPC are facing next election. There's only so many times you can play the "vote for us, we won't make anything better but we pinky swear the other guy will make it worse!" card before nobody gives a poo poo. For me LPC got one vote and then they spat in my face for it, I'm not going to do it again and support their poo poo. I'm frankly just tired of being told to "vote strategically" every election for a party I hate because they're not going to immediately build gas chambers, instead austerity starve everyone slowly and sensibly like a good centrist government. I would just like a system where my vote kinda mattered.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.
I know we're a bit past liquor chat, but wanted to chime in on something important I think from the rural perspective. Out here one of the things I really like about the liquor store is that they're well paid positions and well staffed. There's never a time where it's just one person so incentive to steal is low and employee safety is high. The other benefit to that is we have liquor stores working as a kind of wealth redistribution mechanism where stores in places like Port Aux Basques or Lab West are able to hire on some people, pay them a decent wage, and benefit those smaller communities with the wages now going back into local stores. Not to mention they're great positions for people with lower educational backgrounds to earn a living wage. If they pulled the crown monopoly like was outlined in the God awful Maya Greene Report on how to Ayn Rand NL, what will end up happening is liquor prices will stay the same "because the market can bear it" and those positions in small communities will disappear with the cost savings simply going into the pockets of the small town shop owners who are already the richest folks in town, or to Irving/circle k. Out here it seems like a massive lose/lose situation, and that's without even getting into the fact that the NLLC profits just go back directly into government rather than some rich dudes tfsa.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Randalor posted:

So other than Alberta just going "I don't wanna!" to anything the federal government passes, what does this mean, and what can the federal government do in retribution? The article also mentioned Treaty violations. Is this Alberta declaring independence from Canada and ultimately resulting in the new country looking like swiss cheese? If Alberta stays part of Canada but refuses to abide by the federal legislation, can the federal government just cut off all federal funds and leave them to survive off of provincial taxes?

What happens is this goes to court and Alberta gets it's poo poo caved in either for paramountcy or division of powers reasons. You can't just make an act that takes from the feds power, it doesn't work that way here.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

flakeloaf posted:

OK but "activist judges" is also a card in their deck

Maybe in Alberta, but the most activist judge on the SC was Brown and he "retired" for being a sex pest and the rest of the bench thankfully aren't partisan hacks. Garbage on individual liberties, but something like this is much bigger in scope and impact than their decision recently on provincial project approval. This would more or less tear the entirety of constitutional law in Canada apart and nobody on our bench is prepared for that

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

PittTheElder posted:

Who was the judge that wrote that crazy long judgement that was a complete, point-by-point takedown of all the Sovereign Citizen nonsense? I think he was on Alberta Appeals or something, but either way, that guy rocks.

Meads v Meads, a Canadian Heritage Moment: https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

If you want to get your brain completely melted, check out what sovereign citizens think about justice Rooke: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PvA1lWQ-iT8

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Orthanc6 posted:

So apparently India got lucky that when they tried to do a hit on another Sikh separatist living abroad the guy arranging the hit was caught first.

Cause this time they went after an American-Canadian citizen living in New York. If they had succeeded I don't see that panning out well for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYj9rvUbeDY

It's crazy this isn't the biggest news story in both countries. The fact that hindu extremists are trying to assassinate people on Canadian and American soil 10 years ago would probably be grounds for severing international relations but with our need to have an anti China state in their sphere of influence we will probably just send Modi a google note about how killing our citizens makes us sad.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Lars Blitzer posted:

I think you may be onto something there. Going at it from the social isolation angle I think we're seeing it explode much like other right wing-adjacent dipshittery such as Libertarianism: it's the online community they tap into. Sure, they may be alone or alienated from their usual social group or family but that's because they keep telling him he's wrong. It's an information silo and/or echo chamber that reinforces their outlook, not unlike a certain dead gay forum where terminally online people can chat back and forth, or just shitpost. Concepts such as "Social contract" or even "Social cohesion" are as foreign to them as Early Babylonian cuneiform.

It's also just a thing that pops up in the news every couple years. It got really big at the start of the century and for a while there it was confusing rcmp and courts because they just weren't equipped to deal with the problem. So those stories of mild success from judges not wanting to hear from some rear end in a top hat claiming they're sovereign and therefore don't have to pay a traffic fine, plus the cop probably didn't show in court so they dismiss it.

It also comes up in times of extreme financial distress. Meads itself is a family law case that arises after the GFC. Parties find themselves unable to afford support obligations, let alone lawyers, and they become so desperate they'll cling to anything that might give them any chance or any arguement other than "but your honor should I really have to pay for my kids?" It's just depressing that the failure of the legal system to provide counsel for anything but the poorest folks leads to these people being preyed upon by these con artists.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.
Privatization comes to the east coast as we begin to outsource all our ambulances to worse, private providers. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/ambulance-rfp-1.7051963

It's really depressing because one of the southern coasta of the island, the Burin Peninsula, has private service. Last year there were a few months of the year nobody could get an ambulance because the companies were making it impossible for the workers to meet needs, leading to a labour dispute. I'm sure shipping sick people from Labrador to St. John's hospital but privatized and sold to the lowest bidder is a service we will see used to inflict all kinds of new horrors on native communities.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

But that can be fixed:

:emptyquote:

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.
Did these ever make it into the wild? https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2022/04/10/the-national-posts-invisible-hand-society-nft-collection-the-facepalm-manifesto/

Part of me wants to ironically buy one for a fraction of a penny so I can just bring it up every time that rag gets mentioned. Lotta lawyers have brain damage and still treat Nat Po as a serious journalistic organization

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Edmonton Journal: Edmonton homeless encampment dismantled Friday as removal sweep begins

I've spent most of today dealing with the fallout from this. There are no readily available supportive housing or market housing spots, and all the detoxes are full. Yeah, there are shelter spaces available, but they're all violent and noisy and are a great place to catch Shigella and/or Jesus. Every visit I've had today was someone in some degree of despair over housing* and I can't do gently caress all about it. Like I've been a doctor in the inner city for 15 loving years and I can't tell you how to get housed, because that's the kind of province Alberta is now. Also people keep lighting fires against the outside of my clinic to stay warm and it's only a matter of time before the fucker burns down.

*except for one guy but I had to tell him he was dying of cancer so it's not much of a loving relief.

I have to think that doing this on the Friday before a long weekend, when everyone from the provincial government is on holidays and unable to provide services, is an intentional 'gently caress you' to the homeless (although initially the cops wanted to do it just before Christmas). The cruelty is the point, I guess. Any argument they have that they're doing this out of safety concerns ignores the complete lack of alternatives for the homeless; it's not like I want anyone to live in a goddamn tent in the subArctic, but when there's no place to house them, it's better than the bare street or a shelter that is literally called the Snake Pit. Anyhow, unlike my patients I have access to resources, including heat, and a comfortable bed, and 14-year-old Balvenie. May your own new years feature more of the latter, Canpol.

Same here. The government is getting twitchy about our city and there is discussion they're going to take over a hotel and house people there, but that's not going to last very long when you have a bunch of people with mental health and addictions issues. I suspect in 2 months were going to have a bunch of government departments of health shrugging when they are asked why so many people died of exposure this year.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

She might actually have a shot at a federal seat but boy howdy does she hate the federal NDP. Guess it's time to just admit she's always been a lib and run for the federal Conservative party.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

PT6A posted:

Who's the chap on the right what looks like he's melting? He's like the wax figure of Nigel Mansell in the last Grand Tour special toward the end.

EDIT: Oh christ, that's Lord Fuckwit of Felony, then? I mean, say what you will about the class system, but it used to be that the venal inbred crooks wouldn't debase themselves by associating with anyone so terribly, terribly common.

Cancon correction: He is Lord Fuckwith of Hybrid Summary/Indictable Offense

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.
Didn't see anyone post it, but Newfoundland had one of the more successful labour actions in recent memory this week as fishers were able to delay the reading of the budget a day and gain concessions from the government on how fish is sold.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/fisheries-protests-day-3-1.7151989

It was kinda crazy because the first day the RNC, our local poo poo heel police department known for having a series of rapists on staff, walked a horse into one of the protesters, breaking their hip. Things managed to remain calm the second day, but it was kind of crazy seeing a union willing to go this far in 2024 to get concessions.

There are a lot of other problems with the fishery, many of them caused by these fish harvesters and their bourgeois ownership of the fishing vessels and exploitation of labour for profit. But most boat owners are also on their vessels doing the harvesting of the fish so it ultimately feels like a win for labour and I hope more unions see that blocking the house of assembly and engaging in direct action actually gets concessions.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Yeah they have a log of poo poo like that, but I know a lot of smaller fishers who were really mad about the old way because of how much power it gave the buyers.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

Femtosecond posted:

Seems like this has received almost no attention at all but the BC government is apparently poised to settle with the Haida over their Aboriginal Title land claim over Haida Gwaii and is now doing consultations about the draft agreement.

Seems like nothing really changes for local residents or municipalities but leaseholders of crown land (eg. fishermen and loggers) could eventually be impacted in some form, presumably in now having to deal more directly with the Haida than the Province. Not really clear to me what happens to the big Provincial and Federal parks (is that "park use permits?").

This seems like a pretty loving big deal.

Now the BC NDP is supportive of the UN declaration on the rights of indigenous peoples, and supportive of BC First Nations, but even that being said I really do wonder if this would be happening in this way if the government was confident they would prevail in court. I could imagine the government's lawyers telling the government that they were really strongly likely to lose and they should really consider the potential outcomes of that. Presumably if this is the negotiated settlement, then if the government were to lose then they'd be risking some of the things they've retained here, things like existing crown land park use permits or even private land.

Any lawyers here that can weigh in?

It's also that it's just easier and generally better to negotiate. If you don't you're at the mercy of the judge and we often see a well organized and funded first nation winning large concessions from the court on the position that the crown has a duty to act in good faith. So I imagine what happened here is legal said "hey let's keep dragging this out so we don't have to actually handle legislating it immediately like we would have to if there was a court order." Negotiating this is going to be the best solution because you don't face the double edge sword of getting a decision that's worse for the government's interest, or a decision that upsets the Haida further and never really addresses the issue. If you can negotiate you can put the issue to bed permanently.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.
Incredible moments in Canadian history, former Conservative MP and Cabinet minister tweets out he is going to break someone's windows, gets mad when it happens. There is a property dispute between the guy in the house and Penashue claims the guy got he house from his son for coke money that was owing. Instead of bringing it to the court (which he probably couldn't do because his son wouldn't consent) Penashue decided it was smashing car windows time.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/penashue-arrested-property-dispute-1.7153671

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

KingKalamari posted:

So, statement from the Prime Minister that we're going to be throwing an absurd amount of funds into the AI money pit...

https://www.pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2024/04/07/securing-canadas-ai

Gee, thanks for offering to "retrain" me out of a career path that actually contributes to humanity so I can become a handler for an idiot plagiarism machine...

God this poo poo sucks so much. It's a giant loving money pit to unemploy actors and writers and it loving sucks. If OpenAI with basically unlimited capital can't produce a bot that will write a competent legal brief, what is 2b going to do other than get funneled directly into the pockets of American corporations? Such a hopeless attempt to chase the new tech bubble. The loss of Nortel will forever be a scar on the Canadian liberal psyche and maybe this time it will finally work where blackberry, shopify, and a thousand other tech companies failed.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.
Finally some good news. Rest in piss rex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

How has the Nationalist Post actually managed to get worse?

It's incredible to remember we bailed out a media company responsible for invisible hand NFTs. https://www.readthemaple.com/post-media-scrubs-nft-market-auction/