Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Lassitude posted:

The legacy the brutality of residential schools is a big part of why contemporary Indigenous folks have such struggles. It's a generational trauma. The most basic parenting skills we take for granted were lost to hundreds of thousands of kids, all for the price of abuse, maybe death, and perhaps a grade 3-level education by the time they were finished at the "school". It's infuriating how Canadian society trivializes it. Even weepy Trudeau has basically failed to take any meaningful action despite the 2015 TRC recommendations and the aforementioned weeping.

They were death camps. Canada needs a reckoning on the level of the Nuremberg trials and post Nazi-Germany in terms of a society facing up to its sins. Just think about things like this mass grave whenever the dialoge of "was it really cultural genocide? was it really that bad that we want to use that term?" comes up.

It wasn't cultural genocide, it was just genocide. These abuses were happening post genocide convention too, so it literally was just genocide as the term is legally defined.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Op should just be replaced with a picture of William Amos, with the statement, "this guy pissed in a coffee cup on his zoom call with fellow MPs. That is the current state of Canadian politics"

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Just got my first shot on Saturday. My arm aches a lot but man am I happy to at least have the first dose in.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Germany has acknowledged the Holocaust, but only literally this month (May 2021) decided to start paying some reparations for the genocide of the Herero and Namaqua in colonial Namibia. It was only in 2015 that they even acknowledged it at all. The idea of moral attonement on a national level is sort of a joke, the very existence of the nation state is premised on exclusion and violence. Canada can't move forward from residential schools because the underlying exploitative and oppresive logic that led to them is still very much at the core of the Canadian project. The best you can expect is a token recognition and a pittance paid decades or centuries after the fact. More than that would require an actual revolutionary transformation of Canada, in particular built on centering indigenous governance at its core.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Vintersorg posted:

I do sometimes wonder how other cities/provinces view it. Here in Winnipeg the CFL is nearly as big as the NHL in terms of passion and fan engagement. Bombers are a big loving deal.

I know quite a few Redblack fans in Ottawa. It's definitely a thing people care about, enough to fill the stadiums anyway.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

There are times, like this one, where I'm 100% sure Postmedia's editiorial strategy is literally just owning the libs. I find it hard to believe that was published in good faith, and not as an ideological strawman to rile people up and drive clicks.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Listen, I don't like Sir John A., but I get how someone who has never read too much into history could have a soft spot for him and desire to keep his statues. There's an ignorance there that I can get my head around. But who the gently caress cares about Edgerton Ryerson?

Statue politics has to be the dumbest thing, but only on the side defending them. Because every time they have to do this whole enormous song and dance to pretend like they super care about this random white dude from centuries ago. I know it's all owning the libs, but it's just so transparent.

E: Also lol stolen valour. "We're not saying this is like the Normandy landings, we're saying we were braver than them, cause we went on our own!"

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 8, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I've never been physically assaulted, but as someone who has had human being screamed at them on multiple occasions when out with my partner, not a lot of people are willing to step in even to that. It's not very surprising to me that no one wanted to get in the way of a bunch of violent thugs, especially since it was night in a park so there were probably not that many people around.

It's just the way things are, you never really know if the people around you might be the kind that will just flip out if you read as gay. :shrug:

E: VVV Lol, that in particular doesn't surprise me though. Cops don't give a poo poo at all about homophobic attacks and hate crimes.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

That's the one where God knows from the moment of birth whether or not you're a good Christian, and your entirely life is spent performing the role of being innately superior to everyone else.

That being said, Christianity is the way it is because it got married to the capitalist/colonialist project of states. In the same way that I wouldn't equate all forms of Judaism with Israel, or all forms of Islam with the Saudis, I keep in mind the several forms of liberatory Christianity that exist, and that athiest like Richard Dawkins have essentially become apologists for empire anyway, just substituting in rational humanism for Christianity as to the reason Europe was right to genocide the world.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

Do you think capitalism and the status quo is actually incredibly good but wish, as an upper middle class to rich person you got even more handouts and tax breaks from the government? Well boy do I have a party for you. Everything will stay exactly the same but the government will give you huge rebates on luxury "green" purchases like your new electric SUV or the solar system you installed on your 5 br vacation cabin. Don't worry, they won't blow your taxes on any of that lefty green poo poo like transit or bike lanes, your consumption and lifestyle can remain exactly the same but you can feel so so green and good.

you forgot giving cover to vague alt-health fads and vaccine skepticism.

And organic agriculture, as long as its corporate!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Is this a new phenomenon for people? The NDP was in charge of Manitoba until 2016. The consistent patterns across all of Canada is that the one sort of left-of-centre party rules for a time until they wear out their welcome, then the cons take over until they poison the well, rinse and repeat. The PCs weren't going to be in charge forever, but it ultimately doesn't matter because the same stupid system that keeps eventually returning them to power persists.

E: I'm not even trying to be hopeful versus doomposting, but this is just like with Ontario when people seem to think that the PCs are like Republicans with some diehard base and gerrymandered safe zones. That is absolutely not the case. Instead ask yourselves why our other parties are so terrible that they always eventually find some way to piss the electorate off.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

It's not like there's some sort of tedious repeating pattern to manitoba elections since the formation of the NDP and collapse of the liberals.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Yeah it was a victims of police violence rally on the hill today.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

vyelkin posted:

The TRC estimate of 3200 deaths is starting to look obscenely optimistic.

That was based on recorded deaths. Many of the bodies in those graves will have been recorded, since this is an abandoned graveyard. But likely a good number of them will not.

On that topic, I really hope all the people perfomatively wailing about the tragedy of this on twitter and facebook will realize that all this was already known, that if you read the TRC report these discoveries should not comeas a surprise, and that, perhaps most importantly, we still haven't made right with the survivors. Like, it's not all the people who made it out, reporting on the lasting gried and trauma that matters, it's a shock headline about x number of bodies, which people project into the image of a pile of dead children.

Maybe I'm just burned out on this sort of public, performative grief from my fellow settlers, but I can help but feel cynical that the framing generating sympathy is the one evoking mass killings and dead children, shocking images that will stay with the public for a little while, before fading out and letting people get back to normal. If you read the testimony of the survivors of residential schools, you shouldn't need these mass grave headlines to feel sad. Hell, I'm not even sure feeling sad is the right response anymore. I'm just so tired of seeing people engage in this cathartic wailing on behald of indigenous people, and then move on with their lives. Especially when these same people are much less sympathetic to the poor Inuit you see in Ottawa. This is not to say that I think the First Nations undertaking this investiagtion are wrong, I just don't trust the reaction to it by the public. I don't think it will change things.

And yeah, tons of comments about how this was the Church alone, and not the policy of the imperialist, colonialist state we still exist in, that is still to this day pursuing policies who's explicit goal is to sever indigenous connection to the land to allow for resource exploitation.

E: But yes, for gently caress's sake don't celebrate Canada Day. Just enjoy the day off and/or go join a protest.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

And dealing more broadly with the youth suicide crisis on reserves and in the north. It's not like Canada has stopped killing kids.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Willatron posted:

Ah but according to the Liberals and Cons it wasn't a genocide! Sure, when they describe with happened it accurately describes a genocide perpetrated upon a colonized people in an apartheid state, SURE, it checks every box to line up with the Geneva Convention's definition of a genocide, but so long as they never say the G-Word they never have to admit Canada perpetrated a genocide!

Honestly hope the UN and International Courts get their loving claws into this country over this.

The Canadian state has to prosecute the individuals responsible for the genocide, or agree to forward them to the ICC. You can't bring a state to the ICC.

Hmm, I wonder why this method was chosen for the genocide convention.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

The people with money were always going to cut and run the moment things got bad. If they can look at 100+ people dying and shrug then we're well and truly hosed when things become serious enough for the rich to actually make a break for it.

I mean, when have they ever looked at excess deaths and given a poo poo. This is a big blip, but we accept horrific death rates among the homesless every winter in ontario, with a much younger average age. Our society has never cared for the vulnerable.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Starks posted:

I get what you’re saying but there is a very recent and obvious example of people giving a poo poo about excess deaths. When the average CTV watcher hears “heatwave deaths”, they’re not usually thinking of the homeless, they’re thinking of their grandparents, just like they did with COVID.

The timing of Horgan’s comments as we come out of a 15-month period of checking daily death counts makes them all the more psycho. And on top of that, I don’t think many people see this as just a blip, but just the beginning.

It is just the beginning.

I don't know, I'm just being snippy. I hate the wording of "we are well and truly hosed if the rich..." anything. Because the writing's been on the wall on that for a long time.

Whatever happens in the future, I hope you all in Western Canada stay safe. I'm just trying not to slip into numbness here, and keep believing that some things can be done to protect the vulnerable. I feel like after the last year my empathy has worn down to a nub, and hearing about these deaths engendered much less of an emotional response in me that I would have liked. I'm worried I'm becoming numb to death.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Maybe he actually hates white people, and was just overcompensating to hide that fact.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Femtosecond posted:

It seems remarkable that Woo's comments here, which seem wildly out of alignment with public opinion, and seemingly the position of the PM, are not being much picked up on by the media and do not seem to be causing any questions for Trudeau.

I suppose this means that Trudeau's attempt to reform the Senate as "independent" and having nothing to do with his party in the House of Commons has succeeded, since despite Woo being appointed by Trudeau and being the leader of the "Independent group" which is ostensibly Liberal aligned it doesn't seem like the media thinks that there's any connection worth following up here.

Funny because I actually agree with him. I don't give a poo poo about what politicians feel about Chinese human rights violations. I don't believe Trudeau, Biden, or any other western leader when they express concerns, because they continue to support israel. We parade around numbers like "up to a million" that are supposed to be shocking, when the 2 million Palestinians living in the open air prison that is Gaza are subjected to periodic bombardment, and everybody in power in the west pretends that situation is nuanced and difficult. Not to mention our support of Saudi Arabia while they cause literally the biggest human rights disaster currently ongoing in Yemen.

China is operating the way every single Western Empire did before it and continues to do. It's evil, but any attempt to critize it from the Western powers should be met with extreme skepticism given the US's attempt to drum up support for a new cold war. And actually, given that in absolute terms China still has fewer people incarcerated in it's prison system than the United States, I don't think aligning with the US is actually the less evil option. We are demonstrably watching white supremacists suppress democracy across every state in the Union, but we're going to pretend that the US keeps being our staunch liberal ally in the fight against tyranny.

So yes, gently caress Canada, gently caress the US, and gently caress any criticism of any other country that comes out of their leaders mouths."China's Muslims" isn't even correct, since there are other Chinese Muslims minorities like the Hui who aren't being targeted. Even the framing of the language is supposed to be evoking the ideas of religious freedom and tolerance after decades of anti-muslim animus in the west. Not one of them actually cares what is happening in Xinjiang.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 30, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

There's no way to disentangle state-backed criticism of China (like anything coming out of the government of the US or Canada) from the realpolitik of US imperialism. It's not "criticising two things that are bad" it's, "this criticism is in bad faith and is meant to fuel one empire's attempt to isolate the other one threatening it". We are defacto siding with the United States right now. And like I said, I actually think the US is still more evil than China, on any number of metrics up to and including that without China, there would literally have been no net poverty reduction at all since WWII on this planet. Much like criticism of Cuba or Iran, you should take anything that the US says about human rights skeptically, because they demonstrably don't give a poo poo about the people they are supposedly super concerned about when they enact crippling sanctions for decades that do nothing but harm those people. Sanctions are war and destruction by other means, and ones that the US weilds continously against perceived ideological enemies. And that is what this state recognition is about.

How much of the criticism of China is geniuine concern for the plight of the Uighurs? And how much of it is fuelled by the same animus as the awful Memorial to the Victims of Communism we are still ramming through? It's the same idea that lets people defend Israel for at least being a "democracy", as if that should change your reaction. I actually don't know how you go about parsing criticism of China from critics, but it definitely starts by ignoring anything or anybody Western governments empower to speak on the subject.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 30, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Another Bill posted:

I think this is some good nuance, but I also think it's loving unacceptable to have a sitting Senator stanning for China.

Yeah I don't disagree, except on some level I don't really care, given that Beyak kept her loving Senate pension after she resigned finally. If we're purging the Senate of people with reprehensibly opinions, I feel like there's an awful lot of people who need to go.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I accept activists calling out China.

I do not accept Trudeau calling out China.

Remember when the west used "immanent human rights atrocities" to justify intervention in Libya, a state that now has open air slave markets as a result?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Just got shot #2 this morning, went down for a nap and woke up feeling weird and off. Hopefully it doesn't hit too hard but given that I'm 10 hours in and already feeling it I feel like my next few days are gonna suck :/

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I would rather the senate be dissolved and all of their power given to a First Nations “senate” (or whatever term they wish to use) and we cannot pass law without them and they cannot pass law without us so it better work for everyone.

That was my pitch too. The Senate is elected, but only by people with indigenous status, and it requires indigenous status to sit in it. Wouldn't be perfect, because even that indigenous status thing is a product of colonialism and excludes people, but yes, have an equally empowered house of goverment belonging solely to First Nations, Inuit and Metis. They appoint the GG too.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I know that in the grand scheme of things, it doesnt' mean much, but I've have 2 people every important to me die in the last year, and in both cases we've decided as a family to delay any sort of in person ceremony until it's absolutely safe to gather. And I don't know, it feels like people's need to go to theaters and on cruises is just lengthening the time it's going to take to get to the point where we can finally honor the dead properly, and I find it infuriating.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

FYI in terms of Variants of Concern

https://www.narcity.com/covid-19-vaccines--variants-new-study-shows-vaccines-are-very-effective-against-4-variants

even one dose has a huge effect on your chance of hospitalization/death. A big danger of COVID has always been it's novelty, because the standard pattern is that exposure in infancy/very young helps prime your immune system for a response, which obviously no one had for COVID. Even with variants, the evidence so far is that the vaccines are really working, so as long as we keep it up, our death rate should be much better even with the spike in cases from reopening.

Don't be stupid, but understand the risk in context.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Glimpse posted:

This is actually very depressing. 1/3 of women under 30 think O'Toole is modern and interesting wtf.

A)

Noblesse Obliged posted:

1/3 of women under 30 who are willing to sit through a phone poll about politics

but also, those people are young conservatives. They are ideologically commited to the cons, like their parents are usually, and would respond that to a little baby murdering robot if the cons ran it.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

So, looping back to my previous comments on state actors admonishing each other over human rights violations, I'm to going to say that there's nothing surprising about what Pallister et. al. is saying, and in fact it's more or less in line with what Trudeau is saying, conservatives are just worse at the doublespeak. Trudeau hasn't actually rejected our colonial ancestors or any of the narratives of survival and perseverance Canada attaches to them, he just looks mopey and says he understands.

The narrative that the liberals are pushing for why residential schools happened the way they did is past naďveté. It's the same thing as with any other civil rights/progressive movement that is swallowed up into the liberal hegemon, at least symbolically.

"The reason that our white ancestors were terrible was because they just didn't know any better, they hadn't learned that natives were humans yet, just like they had learned that women were humans, or that gay people were human. There was no deliberate malice, it was just being in the backward past! Now, however, Canada is a bastion of human rights! And we're righting these wrongs by apologizing and/or having committees. But the fundamental liberal core of Canada's identity remains the same, we were always multicultural, we were always a land of immigrants yearning to be free. Ignore the slavery of our early days, or the Chinese exclusion act, or every other terrible act of oppression the Canadian state enacted. Those are in the past!"

This narrative conveniently avoids asking at what point our society transitioned from an evil oppressive one, to a bastion of liberal rights and democracy, obfuscating everything behind the general lazy idea of the march of progress. Because the truth is that the government deciding to slam a pipeline through native lands is a continuation of the same legacy that everybody is pushing so hard to divorce modern Canada from. Residential schools were enacted as a way to get rid of people who had claim to the lands that they wanted to exploit economically. That's why, in the late 19th to the early 20th century, you see the numbered treaties get enacted superfast across the bulk of the Canadian landmass. Because all of a sudden all that land that nobody gave a poo poo about was suddenly worth something, in mineral and oil rights. At the same time you see the residential school system set up as a way of purging these groups whose continued existence was a direct threat to the exploitation plans of the Canadian elite. The Canadian public may have evolved somewhat in its position with regards to the first Nations, Inuit and Metis. But the Canadian state is still directly threatened by the sovereignty that they hold. So they are continuously fighting against it still, and there's never been a break in that fight.

So how do you mesh this continued state viciousness with Canada's self-image abroad, and in particular with the broad need to defend a western style democracies against perceived competitive threats? You invent the above, the narrative that let you split the actions of the Canadian state in the past from the present one. Like how the Americans separate slavery from their current carceral state, or all the European countries literally pretend that their colonial Epoque didn't happen at all, or that their atrocities in Africa and Asia are in ancient history and not happening through the 1970s. If anything, I think Pallister and co. are being more genuinly honest in their stupid racism and white supremacism, not being able to recognize the inherent contradictions of Canadian history currently being exposed and tapdance around it with vague gestures the liberals do.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

The first residential schools open in 1880. We aren't talking about courer-des-bois and New France here. Most of the genocide we are specifically focusing on here happened post WWII. Like the nutritional experiments, the deliberate starvation that was enacted in Kenora, among other places, was in the 50s. Post genocide convention. It's convenient to lump all this into this hazy past of atrocities, but really, this is a legacy of modern Canada, democratic canada. It's way past the point at which Canada developed a national identity. It's absurd the way we distance these events in our collective memories from the present. We still have yearly honouring of Vimy Ridge, but this poo poo is part of some distance past that surely doesn't apply anymore!

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 16, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Jam Band Death Cult posted:

Got Pfizer'd for a second time yesterday. Feeling pretty bad right now, but I venture I'll never get as sluggish and stiff as Tom Mulcair:
https://twitter.com/beisan/status/1415645319656878080

I knew he was a lovely person, but the bald-faced onesidedness of this surprises me. No mealy-mouthed acknowlegemenets of human rights for Palestinians or anything. I guess now that he's retired the mask is off an we can see how little he actually even considers them in his thoughts.

gently caress our politicians.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

So apparently there have been over 400 complaints that Mary Simon doesn't speak French and therefore should not be the new GG because she won't represent the francophone community of Canada.

http://globalnews.ca/news/8039614/governor-general-mary-simon-official-languages-investigation/

Considering the rather appalling historic relationship between Indigenous groups and French catholics it's pretty rich that they're outraged over this. Get the gently caress over yourselves or build a time machine and go the gently caress back to Abraham and take the bullet for Montcalm.

gently caress these people so much. Jesus Christ.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

It's racist because even the expectation of this on the part of a someone like Mary Simon is absurd. It it was some white anglo dude, gently caress yes, skewer them for not knowing French. The indigenous woman who has proactively said she will learn, wanted to learn but was denied it? Find these complainers and cut there fingers and their tongues off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Would the official languages commissioner accept complaints that David Johnson didn't speak Inuktitut? No? Hmmmm.....

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

His name was David Johnston, and his biggest claim to fame before being GG was being the Harper toady who narrowed the scope of the Airbus affair so Mulroney could get off.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Fidelitious posted:

It's probably 'fine' to commemorate people who were slaughtered by oppressive regimes but I imagine that the vast majority were peasants that no one can provide the name of so you're basically left with the issue that most of the names left are horrible nazis.

Anyway, I'm in Ottawa so I promise to vandalize the poo poo out of any suspect names that end up on there.

Then why isn't it "Victims of the Soviets" or "Victims of China". There's a reason that the framing is ideological in nature, and that's the same reason that it's being supported by a bunch of fascists.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

The LIbs must smell O'Toole's blood in the water.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

How I feel about humans

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Can we all stop being surprised by goons and their bad opinions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Bleck posted:

I mean yeah, and we had those too. But holding a newborn pup squeezed out of a womb packed to nearly bursting of other pups because the breed was so utterly small that it's basically not possible for them to breed without intervention and having to carefully and forcefully whip it through the air to swing the plug of mucus and amniotic fluid out of its airways so that it could maybe start breathing and survive made me rethink people's relationships with dogs, and then doing that several other times solidified those feelings.

Never witness a human pregnancy.