Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Lol that is an astoundingly bad take. What have you personally been doing to help that makes you feel so in a position to preach from your high horse?

Oh lol too cowardly to keep that posted in the d&d thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
More than one thing can be bad, Another Bill.

Edit: to elaborate a little, that post article is revolting. I didn't read the whole thing but the gist seemed to be denying genocide and saying that politicians/msm are making a big deal of nothing wrt residential schools. It's horrible that it was published and it should be called out.

I don't think you intend it, but you are basically saying that indigenous people should just stay silent about the everyday racial abuse they face because it's not a big deal compared to the bigger issues. How big does the issue have to be before it's reported? Are all the reports of indigenous people being hassled by security and denied service at banks also not newsworthy?

run on sentience fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 30, 2022

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Here's a refutal of that national post genocide denial article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/opinion-residential-schools-unmarked-graves-denialism-1.6474429

I'm glad to see someone calling it out.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
The intruder cops claim to have been ringing their doorbell, but the mother commented that they do not have a doorbell. The girl they were apparently looking for had been found hours earlier. Just lying incompetent criminal sacks of poo poo through and through.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I'm also for more labels on everything. Not everyone has the same education and upbringing you do. It takes zero effort to just not look at them if you don't want to.

I love the calorie labels on menus, for one thing. I learned that I generally assume things are far fewer calories than they actually are and I am encouraged to go with the healthier option.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
It would absolutely deter me from eating meat. I already loathe myself for it and the only way I can do it is to not think about the animal suffering. I would welcome those labels.

I would also eat less meat if the veg alternatives weren't 3x the price. I would gladly take Beyond over beef burgers. I learned how to make falafel cause those little fuckers are like a buck a ball too. Is there a decent bacon alternative? Or chicken?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

flakeloaf posted:

The beyond burgers are, sadly, even worse for us than the dead-cow kind but they're much better for the cows.

This article says that Beyond is slightly healthier than beef, on the metrics they are comparing anyway. The Beyond has slightly lower calorie and saturated fat, no cholesterol, and only one extra gram of fat compared to 85% lean ground beef. I definitely didn't realize they were so comparable in fat content though.

They mention that most plant isoflavones in Beyond break down in processing, but beef has zero of these in comparison.

It does say that bean and grain based patties are much healthier than Beyond, which makes sense. I love a good bean burger too, but it doesn't taste like a beef burger. I guess I'm not eating any kind of burger for the health benefits in the first place.

Thanks for the seitan suggestions, I've heard of it but never tried it.

I can't see anything actually changing wrt meat consumption or farming practices either until meat is waaaay too expensive to both buy and raise. It's already expensive but I doubt most people who aren't in poverty have cut back on meat any more than they've cut back on driving.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
They were about to allow chickens in Winnipeg but that was right around the time the avian flu started spreading rapidly so they decided against it.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

EvilJoven posted:

We should just be allowed to use net guns in the city and eat all the geese ruining our parks. They're as delicious as they are annoying.

I've always wondered what Canada goose would taste like.

Some lady by the river at the Legislature was dancing around with a flock of them while feeding them and I think that should be considered an act of terrorism, possibly treason.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I took it for granted that they were such a huge problem everywhere. I think they are a beautiful bird and I wish them no suffering but they are a menace here and not just to humans.

I don't know much about hunting them but I say if it can cull them and feed people then great. One thing they do here is abort the eggs, basically. They poke them with a needle and destroy the embryo but the egg is intact so they keep sitting on it instead of laying more. It's unfortunate, but they can't just be left unchecked.

I read an article recently about how they purposely brought them to I think Newfoundland maybe? and they are now realizing that was not a great idea.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

PT6A posted:

"The government should put warning labels on everything I'm too weak-willed to simply avoid eating, and should send someone to my house to spank me if I think about having a burger!" :qq:

I'm sorry you feel the need to act out about your internalized shame instead of speaking honestly about it. The only person I shame for eating meat is myself. Why does that upset you?

What does it matter whether I stop eating meat on my own or because I was influenced by the government if the net result is good for myself and the planet?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

PT6A posted:

How is it unfortunate? The geese population doesn't become a problem, the current geese don't get distressed, and no living creatures have to die. If anything, it's actual ideal.

It's substantially more humane but it can actually cause them distress when the eggs start to rot. I'm not losing sleep over it but I wish it didn't have to happen.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
How is Flair? I booked a cheap flight from YWG to YVR for the September long weekend. Haven't been there in forever and probably won't want to leave.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Winnipeg has a branch of a cult called Twelve Tribes that believe in:
-beating their children
-isolating their children from society
-forced marriages
-women are made to serve white men
-black people were put here to serve white men
-Jewish people are evil (while appropriating a ton of Jewish and Hebrew customs)

There's also Springs Church and Iglesia ni Christo which effectively operate as cults.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

They also, as I found out two years after the fact, serve loving delicious sandwiches and banana milkshakes (don’t go to The Yellow Deli)

Yeah I've tried yellow deli baked goods at a farmer's market before knowing about them and they were tasty.

I am glad to have bell internet this morning. Rogers phone though. I tried my sim in 3 different phones assuming it was a sim problem before reading the news.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Can non-residents of ON get the 4th dose in ON if they pay for it? I would probably do so since I'm there fairly often and I'm not holding my breath for the trash gov of MB to let me get one here anytime soon.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Hope everyone's got their trip booked to friendly Manitoba for the World Police & Fire Games!

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
In this and the previous meat discussion itt, I've seen almost nothing overly incendiary from the vegans, and when it happens it's in response to oversensitive folks who start screeching about veganazi strawmen when someone so much as mentions they had a salad for lunch.

I eat meat but the more I am presented with the reality of how much the animals suffer, the more I continue to reduce my meat consumption and find alternatives. I recognize that there are socio-economic barriers for some people to stop/reduce meat consumption.

I've said it before but I really do think the knee jerk reaction some meat eaters have to vegetarians is a projection of their own cognitive dissonance and self-loathing or inability for any kind of self-criticism. I think it would actually bring them some peace of mind if they were able to admit this to themselves. It's healthy to feel a little bad when you're doing something that goes against your own morals, instead of shoving it to the back of your mind and lashing out when reality brings it back to the forefront.

I love animals but I'm doing something that causes them suffering, and in my case it is purely selfish. That makes me feel bad about myself and that's a good thing, because it's incentive to do better. It's not that big a deal, I'm not beating myself up about it, nor is anyone else.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

redbrouw posted:

First you predict somebody is going to say they'll eat more meat to offset your presumed veganism, and then you post this as if it actually happened. It's clear you've got some vegan PTSD.

There were at least a couple of people who pulled the ol "guess I'll have a big old steak tonight :smuggo:" during the previous meat discussion, they aren't making that up.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean yeah, but I’ve never been hungrier for bacon than I have today

Lol there's one in the wild

How far does this "choose to be contrarian to own the libs because lack of decorum hurt my feelings" shtick go for you?

*TheKingofSprings reads a heated discussion describing violence against women where some are rightfully enraged*

"I've never beat my wife, but since you're all so hysterical, I guess today's the day I start :smuggo:"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
It's hosed up that this story is buried several stories down and only on the BC news page on cbc.ca No mention on the front or Canada page. I wouldn't have even heard about it if not for the canpol threads here.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
White voices don't over power anything? That is a verrrry questionable statement to me.

I don't think? PT6A is saying don't discuss it at all, just if you're white don't tell indigenous people how to feel and weigh in on whether the apology or whatever other reconciliation measures should be enough for them?

Especially when you're only talking amongst other white people instead of seeking out what indigenous people are actually saying about it right now. I don't know if anything like that was happening here that they were responding to, but it seems reasonable to me to keep that in mind anyway. There are plenty of indigenous people talking right now so it's a good time to put the energy of arguing about it to listening and learning.

It's one thing to share an article from an indigenous source and another to proclaim that the whole Pope visit was a waste and failure, because when you say that, it's like you are saying that the people who have found healing from this visit are wrong, can't think for themselves. There is a broad spectrum of indigenous opinion out there, and white people drowning out indigenous voices by sheer quantity on social media, journalism, at protests, in government representation, and most everywhere else is absolutely a thing and sometimes it does need to be addressed with a "hey can the white people quiet down a minute".

Also what HookShot said.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, I know a lot of Indigenous people who think land acknowledgments are important and good, so maybe don’t tell them that they’re wrong?

I'll piggyback on this to say maybe also don't tell trans/nb/2s/gnc people that normalizing stating pronouns is nothing but woke virtue signaling. Most queer organizations advocate for it, and my friends and I feel better when we see it. Maybe not everyone feels that way but a whole lot of people do. I'd rather live in a world where people feel the need to be more inclusive to fit in than the opposite.

Calling out those who exploit land acknowledgements and stated pronouns is good. Dismissing these measures as worthless altogether discounts the people who work toward and benefit from them.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
That's what the MB cons have been doing as well. Our healthcare system is completely hosed right now. I have some hope they'll lose the election next year but it's a very precarious hope. I'll enjoy if the keystone or Manitoba party drains them of the lunatic kkkonvoy vote. People say that vote splitting on the right will encourage the cons to cater to the nutjobs in their voter base, but they already do.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
So CBS is in fact pushing for paid plasma donation. Because they aren't already getting enough backlash from getting rid of mandatory masking, I guess.

Love to literally drain the poors and sell their fluids to the highest international bidder.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I really hope they are getting evicted. gently caress I feel like a fascist tears vampire lately.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Fidelitious posted:

There's a great documentary on ICI Radio-Canada called "C'est comme ca que je t'aime" about organized crime.

Note: This is not actually a documentary, but it is hilarious.

Thank you for reminding me I need to watch this. Série Noire by the same folks is really good. Fuckin' Marc Arcand.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
What realistically needs to happen for Canada to ditch the monarchy?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Name yourselves, cowards.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
  • And, unfortunately, much more

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I don't care that much about ending testing at the border just because covid is everywhere anyway but getting rid of masking on planes and trains is so loving stupid and senseless.

Also gently caress the MB government for making zero effort to try to get more people vaccinated, especially when they no longer have the excuse of waiting for the bivalent to be available. Not to mention Atwal's "it's okay to get infected" comments.

They also closed the convenient downtown vaccination centre just in time for the new vaccine. Now it's in the middle of an industrial park in buttfuck nowhere that's a pain to get to if you can't drive.

Our healthcare system is so hosed in general right now, getting worse and worse and they do nothing at all. Absolutely nothing. My best friend is probably going to die because she can't get the care she needs and she's giving up on even trying.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I got hosed over with their booking system too and ended up going to the convention centre last time. And none of the stores near me have availability this week but I've attempted to book for next week. I had to cancel my appointment on notre dame yesterday because the buses were late and I wasn't paying $40 to cab there.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I can't see pp winning unless the liberals gently caress up real bad. They've weathered all kinds of scandal at this point and Canadians are extremely apathetic. I think one way they could gently caress up real bad is failing to implement national dental care, which would hurt the NDP too. I think the cons opposing dental is dumb as hell with how popular it is. And I know it's anecdotal but the few conservative people I haven't cut from my life think pp seems like a little weasel and they hate the kkkonvoy nuts. I doubt they'll even bother to vote unless Trudeau doubles the gst or makes country music illegal or something.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I'm glad for Canada to fund international disaster relief but I am also against the government holding out on providing adequate funding to the red cross for domestic relief unless the citizens are willing to donate. Either they have relief efforts under control without assistance from the red cross or they don't. If they are relying on the red cross to help with disaster relief, they should just give them the funds they need. Same goes for any charity they outsource to provide essential services to the citizens.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

redbrouw posted:

They are not relying on the Red Cross to provide aid. So since your premise is false, your conclusion is garbage.

Justin Trudeau's FB posted:

Canadians have already donated more than $5.6 million to the Canadian Red Cross this week. And because we’re matching every dollar, that means more than $11.2 million is heading to people impacted by Hurricane Fiona. The storm caused serious damage, and more help is needed.

"More help is needed, and we have more money to help, but only if you also agree to help."

I have no problem with them asking people to help out by donating to the red cross, only with them making the amount of their own donation conditional.

Is donation matching an effective tactic to get more donations? I can't imagine withholding my own donation to whatever cause until someone else agrees to donate the same amount.

flakeloaf posted:

Cool now do the food bank

You asked for it! I guess I see this as I would Trudeau standing outside a food bank with 100 loaves of taxpayer funded bread begging people to donate bread, but keeping 40 at the end of the day because others only donated 60 loaves, while people are still hungry. Just give the 100 loaves if you've got them, and ideally start governing in a way that people aren't relying on charity for food security in the first place.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I would have felt the same way about BC disaster relief too if anyone brought it up at the time. I believe it is a government's job to have enough money and means on hand for disaster recovery before a disaster happens.

I do find most corporate donation matching distasteful because I think people should do the right thing when they are in a position to do so, regardless of whether they get something in return. But if the campaign brings in a bunch of money that the charity would not have otherwise received, then that is what matters.

If the government signal boosting using the donation matching tactic actually brings in more donations for the red cross than otherwise, then good I guess. I just don't know if it does, and to me a government that has to beg the population for more disaster relief money after a disaster occurs is not doing a great job of governing.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Trapick posted:

Who 'gets something in return' with donation matching? The charity just gets more money.

Most corporations are doing it for the good PR and cheap advertising they get from retweets and such, not (only) because they want to help. If they wanted to help with nothing in return, they would just donate the maximum amount they are able to and still encourage others to do the same.

But I would still rather they donate and signal boost for selfish reasons than not donate at all.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

PT6A posted:

It reminds me of the possibly-apocryphal story about cake mixes and poo poo. When they were made "just add water" people didn't like them, but when you had to add your own milk and eggs... everyone loved it. People want to feel like they're doing something to help. And while it's true that simply paying your taxes is fully sufficient, it makes people feel good to think that they are helping.

This isn't reaching into Canadians' pockets to fund relief, it's giving them an opportunity to do what they want to do, which is to feel like they're helping.

I hadn't considered that perspective and I do feel there is inherent value in trying to bring people together to help out, even if I think the government acting like they don't have things under control is a bad way of going about that.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Talk of unwanted old Ikea furniture reminds me, I like the free giveaway weekends Winnipeg has a couple times a year. People put stuff they want to get rid of that's in decent condition out on the curb with a "free" sign and anyone can go around taking whatever they want. Anything I've ever put out has been scooped up within hours and I much prefer it to meeting up with some Kijiji randos. The one fair criticism I've heard is that it could spread more bedbugs. I just think it's a good community event to reduce waste and redistribute unwanted stuff to people who do want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I haven't seen anything like that happening but I live in a high poverty neighbourhood so if someone wants to sell my free stuff to feed their family or even buy drugs for that matter, then good for them. I really don't care what happens to it. I get rid of the thing I don't want without trashing it, someone else who wants it takes it for whatever.

Another Bill posted:

People don't put their furniture on the curb as some kind of virtuous gift to the poor, they do it to get rid of their old furniture in as easy and convenient a manner as possible hth

This. I've never seen the event framed as anything more than "put free stuff out, take free stuff you want".