Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

No need to update the op because it's the same cycle of tripartite bullshit we've had for the last forty years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I've seen a few of those and I've never met a subject who the agency cared enough about to come get. If you aren't going to put forth the slightest bit of effort, why copy-and-paste the original charge from two and a half years ago and start a brand new arrest with it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ontario needs a working scalping law and the stones to actually enforce it

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 30, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Don't worry about it, we'll get another crack at it in a few days.

In the meantime, let's sit back and watch officials and corporations embarrass themselves with shows of performative grief over the discovery of yet more proof that Canada is a genocidal wasteland

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 30, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

apatheticman posted:

Roll up the rim to reconcile

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

It was just stories before. Stories are much easier to ignore than the bones of potentially thousands of children.

Check all the schools. Find all the bones. Give them an honorable burial. And create a national day of loving shame. Make sure it's known we are no better than king Leopold or any of the other colonial monsters.

The national mythos of the "nice" Canadian should be buried with those kids.

The stories told of the bones of actually hundreds of children, and nobody cared then

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

It's not like the stories weren't being told, it's not like the TRC wasn't covered when it was going on, and you're basically saying "they didn't spoonfeed this information to me as a captive audience, therefore I have no expectation of knowing it, because I have all the intellectual curiosity of a cucumber."

Do people graduate school and say to themselves, "right, well, that's over. Time to stop learning new things!" or something?

Just lol if you seriously think a seventeen-year-old wants to independently learn more than they absolutley must to "earn" the obligatory degree and find a job to buy all the poo poo they currently think they want. I was a full-bore STEM kid, if it wasn't on a screen or didn't need a calculator I didn't give a poo poo.

The last residential school was still open when I graduated. The topic was absolutely not being discussed, and like all such topics, the gaps in our knowledge were filled in by "Well-Known-Facts". Those facts were cobbled together from complete ignorance and rather a lot of racist anecdata, and well, here we are.

e: grammers

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 31, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Tippecanoe posted:

I've learned nothing in grad school, not sure if that's my fault or not

did you do a second postgrad?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

My unnamed government department has made an Indigenous studies program a mandatory course and is "strongly encouraging" people to educate themselves on the history of the First Nations and Canada.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Speaking of Oka!

https://twitter.com/CAFinUS/status/1399441640625000454

What in the gently caress is wrong with this psycho in charge of this posting.

Their willingness to turn and face a past atrocity and call it by its name?

(A better move might've been to predict this need, and to just not talk about Indigenous people at all)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Arivia posted:

whatever it is, it's gone now

TAKE PICTURES OF TWEETS YOU'RE MOCKING

CAF tweeter remarked on the tragedy of the 215
Someone replied "you are in the caf"
CAF tweeter replied with a link to an article about the Oka crisis to put their correspondent's post in context

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Fidelitious posted:

The comments

I think I've found your problem

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Hiroshima museum "recall[s] with great sorrow the many lives sacrificed to mistaken national policy", which is the closest thing I've ever seen to an admission... not that I've looked that hard, of course

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Headline in 6 months:

“Federal Liberals use the data collected from ground penetrating radar at residential schools to plot new pipeline routes”

window seat please

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

By all means give them a rough ride over the made-up pluralization, though

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ultimately that's pretty much what we do here in Canada. We don't teach just how horrific our own past with residential schools is beyond "we did some bad things." Our high school history classes don't talk about Canadian War Crimes in WW1 and especially in WW2 where we had a nasty rash of POW executions. We may not have the same outward appearance of frowning upon topics that upset the social order but we absolutely do downplay uncomfortable topics. We as a country are comfortable in mediocrity that doesn't rock the boat that much, which is why we've had decades upon decades of liberal rule with the occasional conservative administration to remind us how much worse things can be when we're not being mediocre.

Nobody likes looking at their dirty past and the only way to learn more is to seek it out, because public education and catholic education sure as poo poo aren't going to do it for you. The only reason I learned about the motherfucker known as Duncan Campbell Scott is because his poetry was on the syllabus for CanLit in university and my prof was good enough to emphasize what a colossal monster he was to put his poetry into context.

I contextualized my former career with the words "After Somalia" and then had to stop to explain what happened in Somalia.

To a federal public servant.

I weep.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/6/no-apology-pope-canada-residential-school-deaths

quote:

Pope Francis has expressed his pain over the discovery in Canada of the remains of 215 Indigenous children forced to attend a church-run boarding school, but did not offer the apology sought by survivors of the system that a commission of inquiry said amounted to “cultural genocide”.

In his customary Sunday noon remarks to the public, Pope Francis said he was “following with pain the news that arrives from Canada about the upsetting discovery of the remains of 215 children”.

“I join with the Canadian bishops and the entire Catholic Church in Canada in expressing my closeness to the Canadian people traumatised by the shocking news,” he said.

Our thoughts and prayers are with whitey during this difficult time, while they struggle to accept their part in the genocide we helped them commit.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Patrick Brown probably came closest, yeah?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I don't see any faces in that video. Case closed.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ryerson's answer was actually... kinda good. Basically "we were planning to do something about that anyway, and that suuuure was something, but next time maybe let's talk about this sort of thing"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sounds like a great place to start a land claim.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

never let the facts get in the way of a neocon diatribe

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Willatron posted:

I feel pretty confident in assuming every one of these statues cons cry about getting torn down have gone unacknowledged and ignored by every single last one of them right up until the people those men historically oppressed or murdered decided they'd had enough of seeing them deified at schools, public spaces and government buildings every god drat day.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

if they fought to the death you'd click to see who won

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

He also heard that Veltman might have played airsoft, a competitive shooting game like paintball that uses less harmful soft pellets, after work, the co-worker said.

IT'S ALL THE TOY GUNS FAULT

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

This city is queer as hell though. I can see that it happened, I just can't see how there was no one around willing to stop it from happening.

Dude was allegedly a CFL player. Some of those guys come in at 250 pounds

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 17, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

Documents filed in Veltman’s parents’ 2016 divorce proceedings make no mention of racism or radicalization, but portray someone prone to anger and who was medicated for mental illness.

According to divorce records, his parents agreed to encourage him to continue therapy and to ensure he was not left unsupervised with his younger siblings.

Veltman and his twin sister are the eldest of the family’s six children, who now range in age from 10 to 20 years old.

Veltman’s father, Mark Veltman, works at the Lambton College of Applied Arts and Technology in Sarnia, Ont. His mother, Alysia Bisset, has worked as a personal trainer.

“He was often awkward socially, lacked confidence and was preoccupied with what others thought,” according to a 2017 report on custody issues, prepared by London psychologist Dr. Richard Zayed, in a section titled “Nathaniel’s struggles.”

As his parents' marriage faltered, Veltman became “frighteningly angry” and was particularly disrespectful to his mother “raising his voice and towering over her in an intimidating way, and pounding on doors,” the report said. His mother said she locked herself in her room to avoid him.

Who had "White mass murderer makes NCR plea" on thei... wow ok there are a lot of you aren't there

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

This will forever confuse me. Dont the majority of Canadians support Palestine

I'd bet the majority of Canadians are mostly ignorant of the issue, and what they do think they know, they learned from the MSM's "criticism of Israel is literally antisemitism" angle

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

supersnowman posted:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...WaMWbSFd7cU4dPo

Sure, corporate level renting of house will bring affordable housing. How could we even doubt that?

quote:

So far this year, Core has spent $50-million on 75 properties, the executives said. Their two-bedroom basement apartments go for about $1,600 a month and a three-bedroom above-ground unit at about $2,100 a month

"affordable"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

A monthly welfare payment in Ontario is in the $700 range, and ODSP tops out somewhere in the $2500s for double-disabled families with kids and ongoing needs for supplies.

Meanwhile, the Market Basket Measure* for the NCR is $48000.

(*A poverty metric that I definitely knew about before today and did not have to discover via google)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the "no Itchy & Scratchy Money" scene except all the signs are stores rejecting each other's company scrip

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

loving

perfect

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Normy posted:

Mumilaaq made a fiery farewell speech that is worth watching and sharing.

https://youtu.be/7mqJGG7yUGw

:stare:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Oh that's what she meant. She hadn't linked to the original article so I had no idea who talked out of turn

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

drat I just caught the 2nd part of this on the radio, yeah I know it's CBC but I'm kinda impressed they were airing something this unequivocally true & brutal during the commute home

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/the-unborn-future-how-western-philosophy-helped-propel-us-toward-a-climate-catastrophe-1.6069290

Gonna spam it to some Jordy Peeperson fans I know, like this is how a real rebellious straight backed professor diagnoses society's ills and whose to blame; with simplicity and brevity and accuracy - not weeping about a Disney princess being part gay or whatever the gently caress lol

quote:

He points to the discovery of the hole in the ozone layer in the 1980s as an example where the market was the problem, due to the use of chlorofluorocarbons or CFC's in a range of different industrial processes and commodities. Thanks to regulation, corporations that were producing and using CFC were forced to switch to chemicals that didn't damage the ozone layer.

"We're now on track to almost complete healing of the ozone layer by about mid century," said Phillips.

Tell me that our success story was seen by industry as an expensive dog-wagging incident never to be repeated, and I'd believe you.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

So how long before we're all suffering from the Alberta Variant

Kenney cough

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

I actually am starting to feel hopeful

shut up dude someone will hear you

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Muscle Tracer posted:

clean drinking water would be a nice start

Pave the road and truck it in?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Not catty enough to be Frank Magazine, but too objective to be David Pugliese

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

OTTAWA -- Canada’s minister of northern affairs says the religious leaders who operated the residential school system in Canada should be held accountable for any crimes committed.

“Of course they need to be charged.

Oooh interesting. It's not often you see a Section 11(g) discussion.

Genocide was demonstrably illegal for at least some of the time the schools had been operating, so the fact that the church was explicitly following the government's orders shouldn't be a defense...

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/they-need-to-be-charged-federal-minister-on-residential-school-perpetrators-1.5486160

Didn't mention the constitutional angle but that was the first thought to leap to my head, so I inflicted it on all yall, as is my custom