Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

HappyHippo posted:

De Villa wants schools open

Or is it "gently caress you I'm not making this decision for you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Oh look the "rational lockdown skeptic" is also a "rational vax skeptic"

Wild, you never see that.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1400171223582134280

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ontario is moving to Step 1 this Friday. Here's an interesting tidbit:

As of yesterday, the only mention of religious services for Step 1 was "Outdoor religious services, rites and ceremonies with capacity limited to permit physical distancing of 2 metres"

Today, that is still there but they also added: "Indoor religious services, rites, or ceremonies, including wedding services and funeral services permitted at up to 15 per cent capacity of the particular room;"

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

this is beautiful

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ToxicAcne posted:

I got lectures about what to not talk about around white people when I was like 6 by my parent's.

totally understand if you don't want to share but I'm interested in what they told you not to talk about. was it just like anything that would out you as Muslim or is there specific stuff that sets some people off?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ToxicAcne posted:

My parents also specifically told me not to criticize George W Bush in particular around white people. They thought most white Canadians loved him.

Depending on where you lived and what year it was they were probably right

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
love to see that curve drop, might even gently caress around and eat on a patio next week

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
that's not even a good fish and he's using forced perspective. what a loving loser.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Imagine having your very own private Earls. What a drat dreamlife

Your own personal kelsey's
Someone to hear your prayers

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Today is 14 days from my second shot, I'm glad climate change is rearing its ugly head for me to doom and gloom about just as I achieve COVID immunity.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Duck Rodgers posted:

It seems like Ontario is going to vaccinate close to 2 million people this week, and cases are the lowest they've been since last summer

I think we may actually vaccinate our way out of this mess. Although looking at Israel we'll probably need to keep some level of restrictions and masking for a long while yet. I bought tickets to see Men I Trust in November, but I'm not super confident it'll happen.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm all for keeping fitness classes outdoor only for a while longer but you should be able to let like 25% capacity into a gym with masks at this point. I don't even work out in a gym but it just seems like we have so many other places that are worse for spread.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Arcsquad12 posted:

That outbreak at the Montreal gym spooked Ontario.

Funny that one gym outbreak from another province spooked us but not the billion workplace outbreaks.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

infernal machines posted:

If the Prime Minister does it, who are we to throw stones?

Dress for the job you want.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Randalor posted:

Trip report after several hours after my second vaccine: Feeling fine. Felt drained when I got home, but I think that was just the high heat and my being hungry rather than the vaccine. The arm I got the shot in is slowly getting sore, but that happens every time I get a vaccine, so par for the course there.

Took me about 24 hours to start feeling lovely

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Chair In A Basket posted:

can't wait for the booster in the new year.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/vaccines-extremely-effective-against-covid-variants-of-concern-canadian-study/

Maybe not?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Hot prediction: Ontario going into stage 3 is not going to lead to a significant spike in hospitalizations or deaths, even if it does lead to an increase in cases. Our vax numbers are solid and improving significantly every day. A single dose offers good protection against severe illness (including delta) and a lot of the holdouts are in the demographic that's lower risk for severe covid anyway.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If we have more lockdowns in the fall I'm going to continue to socialize indoors with other fully vaccinated people (unless the situation changes and the vaccines are no longer effective)

In terms of opening early, we're ahead on every metric from the best case scenario they modelled when the framework came out. Sticking to your guns for the sake of sticking to your guns doesn't make a ton of sense. My biggest complaint with this government has been their failure to change course when the situation changes.

It's not just capital that wants to loosen restrictions. A lot of people are vaccinated and want to start getting back to their lives. I'm not saying we should fully reopen with packed concerts and stadiums but I want to get back to playing hockey with my vaccinated friends.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm looking forward to dying of the Boston Pizza variant, personally

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If you call around you might be able to find something more convenient, depending on what stupid province you live in

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

PittTheElder posted:

Just in case anybody is worried about second Moderna for some reason, it did indeed suck a lot, but symptoms for me and everyone I know have been limited to just 24 hours.

It dragged on for like 2 days for me (started 24 hours after I got the shot, ended 48 hours after that) but it wasn't that intense.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Capital Letdown posted:

As I said, sorry for the long post, and feel free to ask questions. I'm in this poo poo every day.

As a Hamiltonian what can I be doing / where can I be sending money to help?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Capital Letdown posted:

In terms of sending money, here are a few different things off the top of my head, which may or may not sit right with anyone based on their politics:

Keeping Six - https://keepingsix.org/ - This is the group that's actually responsible for getting the encampment injunction in place, which probably has done a lot to prevent scenarios like Toronto. They do harm reduction, peer counselling, and I believe they have a few doctors on staff / at least they are very close with the shelter health network. Donating to them would probably go towards things like phones, occasionallytents, etc. for people in encampments, or even towards paying a little bit to people with lived experience who are doing peer support. They've caused a few battles with the city and HPS here and there but they're good people.

Hamilton Encampment Support Network - https://hesn.ca/ - This is a younger group largely led by the same group behind DefundHPS. TBH I'm not sure if they're actually registered as a non profit in order to give tax receipts if you donate or if they're much more fringe than that. They are pretty online, they hate cops, and they're angry about housing - they will deliver harm reduction supplies, tents, water, food, naloxone to people who need it. They don't super play nice with lots of the other orgs, think Hamilton's encampment policy is effectively the same as Toronto's, and if clean ups or cops do happen, they're always there filming and documenting it. They make a lot of people nervous but I think they're alright - they're just pretty mad and online, yknow?

Aids Network / The Van - https://aidsnetwork.ca/the-van/ - The van is a service anyone can text or call and just say like 'hey we need safe use supplies at x park' and they'll just text back 'be there in 30 mins' like no questions asked. They're awesome, they also partner up with an outreach group run through public health / ADGS. It's the aids network, so they're far more established than HESN or K6.

HRIC Outreach Van - I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't find a direct link to this one in 20 seconds of googling and I'm off today so I'm not lookin at my work phone. These guys run a route every day that basically starts in the west end in the afternoon, goes up the mountain, finishes in the east end. They have soup, sandwiches, first aid supplies, coffee, stuff like that. Super good dudes.
EDIT: Felt racist that I was lazy about only this one so I found it. http://www.hric.ca/programs.php It doesn't look like they've updated their website to reflect the outreach van, but this is the org that does it.

I wouldn't really worry about donating to any of the bigger orgs like say, Good Shepherd, Mission Services, Sally, or anything. They're big and get all kinds of government funding and grants, I personally think an individual donation would be much better served with those direct services I listed above.

Awesome, thank you, I'd never heard of any of these orgs and I typically have just donated to like City Kids and Hamilton Foodshare.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Goosed it. posted:

I take your point. It just seems really ridiculous to say "these things that we've said are okay are the things that are causing transmission, but they are still okay."

We are 100% moving into the phase of the pandemic where transmission is seen as somewhat okay, as long as hospitalization and ICU numbers don't spike. Whether it's a good idea to do that while the vaccination campaign is still underway and no vaccine is available for kids under 12 remains to be seen (the answer is "probably not lol")

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

pokeyman posted:

Have there been other phases of the pandemic? I thought that has been the (pathetic) goal since about five minutes after covid arrived on the continent.

Yeah good point, but it's actually maybe achievable now that we have vaccines? I remember last fall when cases were climbing and people were going "yeah but the hospitalizations are low" as if cases weren't a leading indicator. Cases are obviously still gonna be a leading indicator but the ratio of cases to hospitalizations is hopefully gonna be a lot more manageable.

Definitely groups that can't get vaccinated are on their own here though, I don't even know what they're supposed to do.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

PT6A posted:

Money alone can't make up for the harms done by lockdowns and restrictions. We had the chance to do things properly, and we decided not to. Until the government forces everyone medically able to receive a vaccine, to receive it, I'm not putting my life on hold for another year or however long it takes to reach COVID zero. I did my part, I did more than anyone asked, and I'm not sacrificing my career and social life and mental health any more until the government shows a willingness to do the hard poo poo on their end too.

I've been on the side of lockdowns and restrictions and pursuing COVID zero throughout this whole thing, but... there has to be a limit, this can't go on indefinitely.

This is pretty much where I'm at too. I'm basically just following the federal guidelines for fully vaccinated people. Given that we're opening the border with the USA I think it's clear that COVID zero is not on anyone's agenda and really never was. Me living like it is isn't going to change a drat thing.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kraftwerk posted:

Got my 2nd Pfizer.
It doesn't make me feel any better because I think vaccine hesitancy in places like the US will breed a mutation that bypasses the vaccine. I think a variant pandemic will put us right back where we started in 2020 with COVID. I'm starting to wonder if Ebola was transmissible the way Covid was if people would take it more seriously.

The next variant is probably going to come from a poor country with no vaccines. Also isn't the whole thing with COVID that the spike protein is what makes it so transmissible but also what we're essentially vaccinated against with the mRNA vaccines?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The coyotes are enjoying the outdoor cat population in Hamilton.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

MA-Horus posted:

https://twitter.com/imgrund/status/1424417329279029252?s=20

people refusing to protect themselves due to arrogance and stupidity will damage everyone else.

Not that I don't think new cases are overwhelmingly coming from the unvaxxed but this guy just took the numbers from July 10-24 and extrapolated them for today. We have a lot more fully vaccinated people now so likely more of the cases are from fully vaccinated people. The province is supposed to start reporting vax status in their daily report but so far it's not happening.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Furnaceface posted:

e: lovely snipe. How about some local news: Barrie now has the second highest rent in Canada, the fastest rising housing prices, and no loving way to afford either if you work here and not down in the GTA.

poo poo is hosed, imagine paying through the nose for housing and the end result is you live in loving Barrie. Christ.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

infernal machines posted:

Yes

The CPC is an utter shambles internally and Erin O'Tool is about as popular as the clap even with people who would otherwise vote conservative. The only way for the Liberals to end up with a minority here is if they completely and utterly poo poo themselves on the national stage in some presently unforeseeable way.

What if something crazy happens like Justin Trudeau gets caught up in a blackface scandal

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Arc Hammer posted:

Ontario is back above 700 daily cases.

Yay.

Don't worry, it should be fine, only the vast majority of them are among the unvaccinated

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
can't wait to live in a world where i'm guaranteed that the landlord renovicting me is a canadian citizen. thank you justin. thank you erin. thank you jagmeet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
They should let people pay rent out of it