Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Weird energy tonight and very segment-heavy, but I chalk it up to readjusting to live crowds returning while trying to do a go-home show.

So who the hell was Factory Guy #5 in the wig and flatcap? Is that someone we've seen/heard of? I thought Shawn Dean might have gone to the other side in the split, but that didn't look like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

He's like the reverse Bram.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
How is Stadium Stampede happening with the crowds back? Did they already tape it? Or do they let the crowd in the stands from next door?

Or is it the silliest option where the Daley's Place people just have to sit in Daley's Place and watch a screen of something happening that they can't watch live even though it's next door?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm now picturing a scenario where 2 or 3 guys accidentally hardway during the pretape, and have to meticulously blade backstage to match their wounds in the footage so they can finish in front of the live crowd without breaking consistency.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I like the card suit battle royals, because if it was one entry at a time it's just the Royal Rumble, and I like that they're doing something else. BUT, they need to make a few changes to it:
-Announce the suit groups ahead of time and list them on the screen when picked, otherwise the suit means nothing to the live crowd.
-Have everyone come out at once like the one from 2019. They don't need individual entrances.
-Mix up the Joker card and pick it in random order like the others. It doesn't need to come last every time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MJeff posted:

Coming out of the Lights Out match, they basically erased Thunder Rosa from the canon and pushed and presented Britt in a way that got Shida less over
Thunder Rosa still consistently has awesome matches and Britt was doing a long-term Dark/Elevation thing to get into the rankings, while Shida's had several title defenses and plenty of people were saying they wanted Shida to win or predicted a double-turn. Just because you say Thunder Rosa was "erased" a bunch of times doesn't make it more true. Nobody erased anybody. You just see something different, and that's fine, but you're copping an attitude about people disagreeing.

karmicknight posted:

Specifically, the first live crowd after a pandemic on memorial day weekend, prefaced by a package quoting loving Patton, FDR and Truman and some sort of veteran charity deal organized by one of their own in-house veterans.
This whole thing screamed of DO YOU LIKE ME NOW!? AM I A FACE NOOOWWWWWW!?!?!?!?

Cody doesn't just want to be the ace, he wants everyone to love him. So when everyone doesn't, he's like "lol see, that difference of opinion is what makes AMERICA GREAT therefore since I AM AMERICA, I AM GREAT."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MJeff posted:

Bro, she's wrestled one two minute match on Dynamite since the Lights Out match.

Not my fault if you don't watch Elevation, "bro" - which is "canon" as you say - and she's had other obligations with other promotions. My point is more that you use a ton of hyperbole and it's not helping your points. Like not differentiating at all between the context of Kenny and Britt's angles, characters, and trajectories over the past year+, but acting like you have no idea why people could possibly be treating them so differently.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

fez_machine posted:

Another problem is that the Cody bubble means that if you've only been wrestling in that context, you don't have anything to fall back on in the rest of the roster.

Like where Ogogo go after here? It felt like more of an individual loss than a loss to QT's group as a whole. For that matter, it feels like QT played his Ace in the hole in the feud without actually getting a significant win over Cody. I can't imagine how they'd be positioned as a threat, unless AEW starts pushing Camorato as the GUY in the QT faction. At the moment, they're complete chumps who got one over in the betrayal and then have been sent running ever since.

I still think it was dumb for Cody to go over QT on free TV already, even if it was a special like Blood & Guts. That should've been the endgame match after both guys' minions dispatched each other.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Mr. Squishy posted:

They are not doing anything with TH2
I continue to be sad about this. I know Jack has said they're bad at pitching story ideas, but if that's the case then put them in a stable or have a writer figure something out. Evans has wrestled all over the world for the past 20 years and he's just kind of cooling off now and doing whatever, so I get him being comfortable with that position. But Angelico really deserves to be a lot bigger than he is, and he's at a prime age for it. Jumping off high places in LU shouldn't be his peak.

History Comes Inside! posted:

That’s the most Dave way to phrase “DoN up on last years buys” ever
AEW never not didn't don't wasn't decreased in numbers and that isn't not still untrue yesterday tomorrow.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I want someone to edit the DoN footage so Max just keeps saying "Yo. Yo. Yo. Dustin. Dustin! Look at me! Yo. Yo. Dustin! Yo. Yo." for like a full 10 minutes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

boxcarhobo posted:

oh, my god, friend

you are in for a mother loving t r e a t

Stick with it for the aftermath too. The stuff that happens after the match is really good character development for Hangman.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Rampage is going to be on TNT, so if it's not moving to TBS with Dynamite, I could feasibly see them keeping the TNT belt on Rampage and introducing a new midcard belt for Dynamite. Otherwise they don't need more singles belts.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gaz-L posted:

It goes: Dynamite on TNT. Rampage starts on TNT in August. In early 2022 both shows move to TBS. Then TNT specials every 3ish months.
Ah. I still haven't read anything about how they plan to brand the TNT title, so I wasn't sure. I could still see them doing a Rampage belt, but it's not necessary. Trios first, then see where the roster is after that I guess.

I feel like there could also be one more mid-summer PPV just to fill the gap. It's a bit of a lull when the schedule is September/November/March/May, unless Fyter Fest or FFTF is going back to PPV. Glad they're doing big specials though.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I feel like they do enough “winner gets a title shot” gimmicks often enough that there doesn’t need to be a physical item that exists in perpetuity.

I also get the feeling that Tony isn’t going to do a briefcase/money in the bank deal where you can call your shot anytime soon.
I like when promotions have titles that aren't belts, like back when FCW had a medal and a tiara. I thought they were going to do that with MJF's diamond ring once a year, but now it's just his prop.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MJeff posted:

NWA has a midcard belt where if you retain it seven times, you get a world title shot, also the time limit for matches is 10 minutes.

I don't necessarily think AEW should have that but I think it's kinda cute.

Kinda what I was getting at with that FCW medal. It was 15 minute ironmans, though that's kinda weird because there typically aren't that many falls in a 15 minute match.

Either way stipulation belts are cool, titles that aren't belts are cool, and bringing in championships from other feds is cool and I hope they do more of that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Bucks/Lucha Bros ladder match at All Out 2019 was for the AAA tag titles too.

What I really like about it is that while people are talking about not enough belts and too much roster, some of them are still recognized champions like Mox. Granted it's not defended much, but when it is, it always feels special.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wouldn't hate a Mox heel turn after not getting the job done in a couple feuds. He already sort of acts like one, he's just beating down other heels. I can pretty much already hear Eddie cutting a promo like "Maybe you weren't paying attention, we've always been bad guys."

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

This is a really good tron/theme and fixes the big issue I had with Page/Sky. They felt so thrown-together that I couldn't take them seriously. Now they've had a bit of time to gel and they've settled on a gimmick of "GQ Guys" there's a lot more to like about them
Page has won me over after just being "a guy" when he showed up, but Scorpio still needs to tweak something in his personality. I think a lot of that is his acting ability, but AEW's good at finding a niche for people.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Return to the days of WCW knockoffs of real songs imo

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Shanna had such a sympathetic story with "TNA thought I was too fat" and she blew all that goodwill spectacularly.

Which is kinda funny in hindsight because Impact's KO division includes more women's body types than most promotions I've seen. It's one thing they've definitely improved upon since TNA.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

coconono posted:

whenever someone says "and an unnamed official said I was too fat" its almost 100% it was Al Snow.
Yeah, he was working for TNA when he told Abadon she was too fat.

Which blows because I love Abadon, but I'm so glad she ended up where she did.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pylons posted:

The Butcher, The Blade, and The End.

AEW subtly starts growing a Snake Eater stable.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lid posted:

I can see Tommy End as the... evil Brodie Lee? Wait gently caress how does this work. Anyway Dark Order now would not fit Tommy End at all, but as a sadistic manipulator turning them evil... ehhh maybe not this is too close to the original Brodie Lee angle.

I'm still hoping for Sting + DO. They keep teasing an alliance, and Darby could easily fly solo.

They don't really seem to be pushing the Hangman thing much anymore.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flatluigi posted:

i'm kind of repeating myself by going 'please please stop writing off youtube stuff' but if anyone skipped it PLEASE go watch the title tournament they had on youtube, just about every match was great + the japanese side (at the very least, unsure about the us side) was booked by shida herself and it was just hands down a great watch in every way
For real, Dark is mostly jobber matches, but Elevation's already done a LOT for both the Women's and Tag divisions, and it's a great way to familiarize yourself with the midcard and soon-to-be midcard. Britt's whole path to the belt was an angle where she racked up wins on the Youtube shows to get her spot, and Thunder Rosa's regularly featured there. Same with Hollywood Blondes, they're in Tag title contention specifically because of that.

Drakkel posted:

There's nothing wrong with the Youtube shows, they just by their nature don't feel important.
According to who? Plenty of promotions run their entire content on Youtube and streaming services.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah... the smaller ones
I said "and streaming services", which includes stuff like NJPW. A good portion of this forum only watches Dynamite on Fite or BRL. Nobody's saying it's on an equal level with Dynamite, but they still reference it, and it augments feuds, angles, and character development. So it seems pointless to split hairs on what content isn't essential if your sole criteria is "not on cable", and it's silly when people say "AEW isn't doing this thing with this wrestler" when they are and you're not watching it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ugh, this Britt discussion makes me wonder how many wrestling fans who don't understand boundaries try to get appointments with her so she can work on their gross mouths.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CarlCX posted:

I wasn't even alive then but I'd bet the same conversations happened about fuckin' Nick Bockwinkel.

Bruno Sammartino was 5'10".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Penguin Patrol posted:

Abadon Callis
Abadon Callistico

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this mf can't even spell his name right

It's not like it's difficult to remember either, the whole stable only uses one vowel.

Ogogo
Comoroto
Solow
Morsholl

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Scarf posted:

in all seriousness I really would like to see some of the factions incorporate the women's division
Leyla with Team Taz
Rosa with Darby/Sting (half-skullfaces unite)
Deeb with Pinnacle
Abadon with Death Triangle
Heel Shida with The Elite
Tay with Jurassic Express
Britt with HFO
Nyla with Inner Circle

idk just spitballing with some of these

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

Picturing Tay in a Chrono Trigger Ayla outfit
JB can dye his hair red and spike it up. Luchasaurus is kinda already Frog.

Marko is Spekkio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's kinda funny seeing Mark Henry put over the Bucks after he cut that promo a few years back when they refused a WWE offer. I know he didn't write it but it's still a bit of irony.