Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Games don’t really do cheat codes anymore which is sad.

What where your favourite cheat codes from back in the day ? Talking game altering stuff not boring poo poo like infinite ammo.

My favourite is the blancmange cheat from Colin McRae Rally on the PS1. It would change the car’s body to be….jelly and would subsequently change the handling model in fun but totally playable way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Big head mode is always fun.

No gravity in Tony Hawk's 2

Perfect storm of cheats in GTA 3, VC and SA - so all cars fly, all pedestrians are super hostile and cars explode on impact.

Exploding Lara Croft in TR2&3 which was funny because it was almost the exact same cheat as the level skip except for 1 button input difference.

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

me and my friends always called that a-Ha mode

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

big head mode was probably the best ever. I also liked the ones that let you play as Han Solo or Indiana Jones in the first Mercenaries

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

.Wampa..Stompa

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
One of the old FIFA games had a cheat for UFO mode, where a UFO would fly over the field and abduct players.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Start a new game on Medium difficulty. Call it .Wampa..Stompa (Case sensitive). Start in a level and as soon as it starts press pause. Now press and hold all at once C up, C right, C down, C left, L, R, Z and Left on the d-pad. While holding these down gently move the control stick left halfway, and hold all this until you hear a sound. Do the same thing with the joystick facing right, then left, right and finally left. Make sure you keep the other buttons held down during this time.
If it worked pink writing will come up, and using L, R and A you can select cheats such as 50 lives, wall ghost, next level, gravity, jump power etc. To make the menu reappear each time you go back to the pause screen C up, C right, C down, C left, L, R, Z and Left on the d-pad.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Also I liked filling my inventory with arrows of exploding and summoning drizzt to help me kill every NPC in baldurs gate 1

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Not really a cheat code but there were some old beat em ups where it would let player two join in mid game. So when you were playing alone and out of continues and lives you would switch to the second controller and keep going as P2 with a full set.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

"simonsays" in star wars galactic battlegrounds spawns 'simon the killer ewok' a hyperfast ewok that fires blaster bolts from his staff

lan games as a kid revolved around who could spawn the most first

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
the cheat mode in carmageddon was "IBETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT"

sure enough, the magazines of the day couldn't

Hiraeth
May 14, 2021

JOHN CENA posted:

me and my friends always called that a-Ha mode

that's mental

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

turok 2 had tons of cool cheats like big head, wireframe, tiny enemies

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

also i'm pretty sure Rogue Squadron was released before the Phantom Menace and the Naboo Starfighter cheat surfaced months after release and was mindblowing

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

g_saberrealisticcombat 1

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
unintended use of god mode to walk up to enemies and just get a good look at them up close

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

disgusting

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Bolverkur posted:

also i'm pretty sure Rogue Squadron was released before the Phantom Menace and the Naboo Starfighter cheat surfaced months after release and was mindblowing

Yes I remember this, it was p dope

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The british have gone too far.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

.Wampa..Stompa

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i remember thinking the neighborhood kid who had a gameshark was a gaming god, how naive i was

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Does Salman Rushdie really play Alien Breed.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Buick in Rogue Squadron was funny

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You could play as Green Goblin in the mostly mediocre Spider Man 1 movie tie in game which gave you an entirely different overpowered move set where you could carpet bomb groups of petty criminals and fly around, it was tight. You got different cut scenes too. Absolutely the sort of content they would charge 20 dollars for these days.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

getting 4 minutes into age of empires before getting bored and spawning the car ftw

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
In TOCA Touring Cars you could stack cheats so could have races with lunar gravity and collision physicsx100 on at the same time. Big laughs to be had

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

good lord

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Pissed as a fart

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

You could play as Green Goblin in the mostly mediocre Spider Man 1 movie tie in game which gave you an entirely different overpowered move set where you could carpet bomb groups of petty criminals and fly around, it was tight. You got different cut scenes too. Absolutely the sort of content they would charge 20 dollars for these days.

This was tight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

there was a cheat in Excitebike 64 that made the riders invisible and it used to be the only way I'd play bc I thought it looked awesome to just see sentient bikes tearing rear end through dirt.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

In megaman 3 you could hold down left or down or something on the second controller and it made you jump crazy high, and also you could fall in a pit and have no health but still jump back out and then you couldn't die?

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

PISSED AS A FART
poo poo AS A PISS
FART AS A poo poo
LAUGH AS A FART
WE ARE FRIENDS AGAIN! HEY!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

JUSTIN BAILEY

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Does Salman Rushdie really play Alien Breed.

perhaps he stayed indoors a lot due to the fatwah and got to experience the heyday of the amiga in britain

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Bicyclops posted:

JUSTIN BAILEY

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RTS cheat codes where you type a specific phrase into the chat were the best

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds had some good ones like “That’s no moon” to spawn an invincible Death Star that could level entire bases in a single shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

RTS cheat codes where you type a specific phrase into the chat were the best

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds had some good ones like “That’s no moon” to spawn an invincible Death Star that could level entire bases in a single shot

The story behind "operation cwal" is pretty cool.

It was put in for a group of fans called Operation Can't Wait Any Longer that formed when the original StarCraft game was postponed. They caused a bit of a stink and because infamous with the devs so they put that in as the unit production time decrease cheat.