Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

fosborb posted:

down a b start for extra guys in battletoads

I have no idea how I knew this cheat code in 1992 when I was the only kid who had that game. must have been in a Nintendo power?

Sometimes you get bored on title screens or in game and start pressing random buttons

Or Nintendo Power, or rumours on the playground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

there was also the nintendo hotline, a number you could call and pay per minute to ask questions. i know because my brothers and i got in trouble for calling it multiple times when were stuck in breath of fire, lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

there was also the nintendo hotline, a number you could call and pay per minute to ask questions. i know because my brothers and i got in trouble for calling it multiple times when were stuck in breath of fire, lol

lol yep. my friend and I worked up a huge phone bill at his place trying to get through the first TMNT. probably like 15+ calls in one afternoon

and yeah most of the cheats I knew came from other kids. but 90% of what they said was completely made up, and it was almost always a SECRET BLOOD CODE for whatever nintendo game had most recently come out

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i had this one friend in elementary school whose mom decided to circumvent the nintendo hotline fees by having him call my house, so when my mom would say it was him calling, i'd answer "hello, nintendo hotline :smug: "

i think i've posted about him before because he once threw his NES at a brick fireplace in a rage and the console survived and still worked fine.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

i had this one friend in elementary school whose mom decided to circumvent the nintendo hotline fees by having him call my house, so when my mom would say it was him calling, i'd answer "hello, nintendo hotline :smug: "

i think i've posted about him before because he once threw his NES at a brick fireplace in a rage and the console survived and still worked fine.

lmao holy poo poo

my little brother used to slam SNES controllers onto the ground in frustration regularly and those kept working too. nintendo makes their poo poo durable

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hell I heard about a Gulf War soldier who got so mad he blew his Game Boy up with an IED

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hell I heard about a Gulf War soldier who got so mad he blew his Game Boy up with an IED

a superheated gamer moment

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wile e. coyote trying more and more elaborate ways to try to break an original Nintendo Game Boy

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol melty face game boy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Not really a 'best' anything but Timeslaughter was a lovely DOS fighting game by Bloodlust Software, aka the guys who made nesticle. There was a secret character who was retarded (legal definition) and you selected him by repeatedly hitting down at the character select, because of Downs.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Not really a 'best' anything but Timeslaughter was a lovely DOS fighting game by Bloodlust Software, aka the guys who made nesticle. There was a secret character who was retarded (legal definition) and you selected him by repeatedly hitting down at the character select, because of Downs.

loving hell lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

P-Mack posted:

Oh yeah... THAT happened.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Thanks poo poo man!

Bow to the fecal lord.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
turning on flying cars in gta 3 and using the tank gun to provide thrust in the air blew my mind and then they just added helicopters and planes in gta vc and sa

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

P-Mack posted:

Game Cheats only Future Game Dev Job Applicants Regretted

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sub-Actuality posted:

lmao holy poo poo

my little brother used to slam SNES controllers onto the ground in frustration regularly and those kept working too. nintendo makes their poo poo durable

Have you met the JoyCon?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol yep. my friend and I worked up a huge phone bill at his place trying to get through the first TMNT. probably like 15+ calls in one afternoon

and yeah most of the cheats I knew came from other kids. but 90% of what they said was completely made up, and it was almost always a SECRET BLOOD CODE for whatever nintendo game had most recently come out

i got in trouble at school for using the library computers to print out an entire goldeneye guide I found on gamefaqs for cheats codes and secrets

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rosebud;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Plank Walker posted:

turning on flying cars in gta 3 and using the tank gun to provide thrust in the air blew my mind and then they just added helicopters and planes in gta vc and sa

There was a plane in GTA3. It was just near impossible to fly

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

i got in trouble at school for using the library computers to print out an entire goldeneye guide I found on gamefaqs for cheats codes and secrets

Our printer at home never had black ink in it because I used it all up the day we got it secretly printing a FFX guide from Gamefaqs overnight, and noone ever bought a new cartridge.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

CyberPingu posted:

There was a plane in GTA3. It was just near impossible to fly

Would be impossible to get more than a few hundred feet. What a loving tease that was.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Brass Hand posted:

Would be impossible to get more than a few hundred feet. What a loving tease that was.

There was a trick to it but it basically amounted to an elaborate glider that was easier to drive on the road to where you needed to get it to

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
ASSHOLEFUK gives you 68 balls in devil's crush.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Bicyclops posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They don't make them like they used to.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Nintendium mines ran out in between the release of the wii u and the switch. It's a drat shame.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

There was a trick to it but it basically amounted to an elaborate glider that was easier to drive on the road to where you needed to get it to

we flew it to the garage or whatever it was but yeah, that thing sucked.

i wonder how hard it would be to go back to gta3. my brothers and i played the hell out of it but we didn't like any of the sequels.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
flying the dodo was a pain, i could get it off the ground and fly in a straight line for a bit but once i tried to turn it or land i'd crash and burn. flying tank was fun because it was easy and you could just spawn a new tank with cheats and take off from anywhere

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
looking over my shoulder to make sure my mom wasn't around when entering the mortal kombat blood code, and then racing to press the reset button every time she walked in the room

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

we flew it to the garage or whatever it was but yeah, that thing sucked.

i wonder how hard it would be to go back to gta3. my brothers and i played the hell out of it but we didn't like any of the sequels.

It's fine on the PS4, just don't have HDR or 4k on or it has insane slowdown.

It's kinda dated but it's still really playable and fun.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

dncashman

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

P-Mack posted:

ethan petty of bloodlust works for EA now and makes madden games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ale2N4Y9v24

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

in mega man 2 if you hold select when picking the level you want it changes the boss intro's stars in the background to chicks:

I know there was a cheat that if a person held down some button(s) on the second controller, it allowed the player to jump into pits and live.

You could jump out the bottomless pits with a real high jump as well.

Or your brother could let go of the buttons and instantly kill you.

I like Heretic where if you tried to use Doom cheat codes it would gently caress you instead.

quote:

iddqd Kills the player. Originally the Godmode cheat in Doom, it is a joke by the developers by making it have the opposite effect in Heretic. When entered, on the screen is displayed: "Trying to cheat, eh? Now you die!"

idkfa Removes all weapons and ammo the player is carrying, except for the staff. [...] The screen says: "Cheater - you don't deserve weapons!"

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 6, 2021

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the super jump cheat is in mega man 3, we talked about it earlier

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
I remember accidentally discovering the dev console in Fallout 3 and then looking up all the poo poo you could do with it. I turned on godmode, ignored every quest, and just explored the game world and the subways. No other game has let me simply exust like that and it was chill as hell.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

What's amazing is that I've never played Time Slaughter or even heard of it before today, but seeing that embedded preview image was immediately nostalgic because of Nesticle and Genecyst.

As for cheats, Diddy Kong Racing did it in a fairly unique way, including one that let you do the single-player mode with two players. You were supposed to beat the game and then they'd drip feed you one at a time, but you know everyone just looked them up and used them all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

magikid posted:

What's amazing is that I've never played Time Slaughter or even heard of it before today, but seeing that embedded preview image was immediately nostalgic because of Nesticle and Genecyst.

As for cheats, Diddy Kong Racing did it in a fairly unique way, including one that let you do the single-player mode with two players. You were supposed to beat the game and then they'd drip feed you one at a time, but you know everyone just looked them up and used them all at once.

i downloaded the Executioners shareware episode back in the early 90s (1993ish i guess?) where you ate fried midgets to heal your character, but then was really confused when nesticle came out because it was really good compared to all the other emulators at the time.

also this intro lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feD1TWAvDCc