Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i love art forgery! feel free to post about art crime and the art market more generally, or other victimless scams.

to start us off: in 2011, it was revealed that knoedler gallery had had $80m of fakes pass through it – i can recommend the recent netflix documentary about it (Made You Look: The True Story About Fake Art) if you want to watch a bunch of insanely out of touch people feud with one another. for example, domenico and eleanore de sole:

they bought a fake rothko for $8.3m, then sued knoedler (which was owned by armie hammer's dad) when it was revealed.

the hero of the piece is pei-shen quian, a maths teacher in his 70s. he painted the abstract impressionist fakes in his garage over 20+ years:

he got indicted when poo poo went down, but flew to china to avoid prosecution 👑

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

exmarx posted:

the hero of the piece is pei-shen quian, a maths teacher in his 70s. he painted the abstract impressionist fakes in his garage over 20+ years:

he got indicted when poo poo went down, but flew to china to avoid prosecution 👑

:dukedoge:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

exmarx posted:

what a king

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jose posted:

what a king

Remember everyone it's only a crime if you defraud/con rich people!

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
The documentary was great and I suggest watching it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LegoMan posted:

The documentary was great and I suggest watching it

https://www.netflix.com/browse?jbv=81406333

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

exmarx posted:

they bought a fake rothko for $8.3m, then sued knoedler (which was owned by armie hammer's dad) when it was revealed.

yup, thats an 8 million dollar painting right there

barren landscape, no stars... is this the end of humanity? well done rothko

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Similarly, wine forgery is also about selling rich dolts pretty bottles full of skunk juice. Sour Grapes is a great documentary about a guy who turned his house into a combination print shop/wine lab and ripped off a bunch of people (including a Koch brother) who fool themselves into thinking that the fake wine is the best thing they've ever tasted.

Sadly the forger, Rudy Kurniawan, was arrested and went to jail for wire fraud, but has since been released and is reportedly living a quiet life in Indonesia.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

Similarly, wine forgery is also about selling rich dolts pretty bottles full of skunk juice. Sour Grapes is a great documentary about a guy who turned his house into a combination print shop/wine lab and ripped off a bunch of people (including a Koch brother) who fool themselves into thinking that the fake wine is the best thing they've ever tasted.

Sadly the forger, Rudy Kurniawan, was arrested and went to jail for wire fraud, but has since been released and is reportedly living a quiet life in Indonesia.

The "American Greed" episode on Kurniawan is one of the better ones as well.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Why spend millions on a famous painting when you can do a quick search online to see it for free?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
friend who worked at an art gallery told me early on that art was just a massive money laundering scheme. bitcoin got nothing on Art.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Dreylad posted:

friend who worked at an art gallery told me early on that art was just a massive money laundering scheme. bitcoin got nothing on Art.

This is one of the reasons why forgery is good. Forgery strikes back against the commodification of art.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

Living his best life

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Why spend millions on a famous painting when you can do a quick search online to see it for free?

this is apparently a problem for a lot of people that go to look at the mona lisa. they have to stand in a crowded place and squint at an overhyped picture they've seen a thousand times already at better quality so it just makes them depressed.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 hours!)

loving amazing how america has BUYER BEWARE as one of its founding pillars but a painting that isn't done by the guy you thought it was is a loving felony

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

exmarx posted:

i love art forgery! feel free to post about art crime and the art market more generally, or other victimless scams.

to start us off: in 2011, it was revealed that knoedler gallery had had $80m of fakes pass through it – i can recommend the recent netflix documentary about it (Made You Look: The True Story About Fake Art) if you want to watch a bunch of insanely out of touch people feud with one another. for example, domenico and eleanore de sole:

loving hero.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

This is one of the reasons why forgery is good. Forgery strikes back against the commodification of art.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hand Knit posted:

ars gratia artis

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Who was the guy that scammed MBS for $20 million with a fake painting or sumthin? I’d buy him a beer

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
There are probably a lot of rad works of art that are better to see in person. The Mona Lisa is a victim of its own success and smallness of course.

It should be illegal for rich people to own art.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

porfiria posted:

There are probably a lot of rad works of art that are better to see in person. The Mona Lisa is a victim of its own success and smallness of course.

It should be illegal for rich people to own art.

art museums are cool but the last thing on my mind when i look at stuff is "i hope this isn't just a completely identical copy of what i think im looking at"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://heavy.com/news/pei-shen-qian-update/

quote:

Qian was indicted, but moved back to China where he remains today and escaped prosecution. In 2014, he was indicted on charges of wire fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and lying to the FBI, according to his indictment. He was 75 at the time of his indictment. He could face up to 45 years in prison if he was convicted of the charges. Now in his early 80s, he continues to paint in a small studio outside Shanghai, but no longer sells his art, his wife told documentary filmmakers.

quote:

In China, Qian was a successful and classically trained artist and a professor. In the United States, he tried to make ends meet painting on Manhattan street corners and through construction work. He thoroughly studied the works of famous artists in art class and beyond. His friend, Hongtu Zhang, told filmmakers on “Made You Look” that replicating famous works of art is a common practice in Chinese art.

“Nothing from your heart. You only copy others art,” he said.

“He is good. He had some talent,” he added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzGkg3PreQ8

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
45 years for Fake Art lmao

good on him getting away with it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

45 years for Fake Art lmao

good on him getting away with it

I'm sure DND types would argue he should have stayed in the US as the right thing to do...

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Great thread voted 5

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Dreylad posted:

art in private hands generally just sits in untaxed storage units in ports waiting to be sold again. it’s pokemon cards for millionaires

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The virgin Art Experts "Know it All"" vs the Chad pei-shen quian

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Tiler Kiwi posted:

art museums are cool but the last thing on my mind when i look at stuff is "i hope this isn't just a completely identical copy of what i think im looking at"

Your eyes are just copying it to your brain if you think about it but I think that other person meant some stuff that is bigger than a screen can be different in person.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also the know it all art experts overlooked for how one of the fakes the artist name was not spelled correctly

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

art in private hands generally just sits in untaxed storage units in ports waiting to be sold again. it’s pokemon cards for millionaires

Imagine if one of them got quietly raided and it wasn't discovered until the "art" had changed hands a couple times and someone actually wanted to display it only to find it missing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
All art should be on public display so scamming rich people owns even more than normal

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

I once made a poster for a friend in the style of a fairly famous graphic designer and years later when I went to look for that designers work my poster was up on blogs as an example lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The wine story made think of the hilarious study how full time sommeliers couldn't tell the difference ultra expensive and budget brand wines in a blind taste test.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The tax-avoidance scam goes like this: buy art for $$. Some time later, put it up for auction and then blind bid it up to $$$$$. Donate the new purchase to a gallery or museum and claim a tax deduction

As a spinoff, your painting selling for $$$$$ will also cause works in the same style or by the same artist to rise in value considerably, so plan ahead accordingly

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

etalian posted:

The wine story made think of the hilarious study how full time sommeliers couldn't tell the difference ultra expensive and budget brand wines in a blind taste test.

Yeah the fulsome blurbs they gave to boxed wine when told it was a recently discovered vintage was just full of lols

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

exmachina posted:

Yeah the fulsome blurbs they gave to boxed wine when told it was a recently discovered vintage was just full of lols

one of the good bits on penn and teller's bullshit show was just pointing out how the entire wine gourmet or whatever thing is just a big loving circlejerk for the well off to justify their drug use

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I agree op. Gonna watch that doc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

exmachina posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

quote:

Every year Robert Hodgson selects the finest wines from his small California winery and puts them into competitions around the state.

And in most years, the results are surprisingly inconsistent: some whites rated as gold medallists in one contest do badly in another. Reds adored by some panels are dismissed by others. Over the decades Hodgson, a softly spoken retired oceanographer, became curious. Judging wines is by its nature subjective, but the awards appeared to be handed out at random.

So drawing on his background in statistics, Hodgson approached the organisers of the California State Fair wine competition, the oldest contest of its kind in North America, and proposed an experiment for their annual June tasting sessions.

Each panel of four judges would be presented with their usual "flight" of samples to sniff, sip and slurp. But some wines would be presented to the panel three times, poured from the same bottle each time. The results would be compiled and analysed to see whether wine testing really is scientific.

The first experiment took place in 2005. The last was in Sacramento earlier this month. Hodgson's findings have stunned the wine industry. Over the years he has shown again and again that even trained, professional palates are terrible at judging wine.

"The results are disturbing," says Hodgson from the Fieldbrook Winery in Humboldt County, described by its owner as a rural paradise. "Only about 10% of judges are consistent and those judges who were consistent one year were ordinary the next year.