Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

jsg boggs owned

[url posted:

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2017/02/01/j-s-g-boggs-1955-2017/[/url]]
What he likes to do is invite you out to dinner at some fancy restaurant, to run up a tab of, say, eighty-seven dollars, and then, while sipping coffee after dessert, to reach into his satchel and pull out a drawing a virtually perfect rendition of the face-side of a one-hundred-dollar bill. He then pulls out a couple of precision pens from his satchelone green ink, the other blackand proceeds to apply the finishing touches to his drawing The matre d eventually drifts over, stares for a while, and then praises the young man on the excellence of his art. Thats good, says Boggs, Im glad you like this drawing, because I intend to use it as payment for our meal.

After Boggs tried to pawn off the counterfeit C-note, hed take out an actual hundred dollar bill and dangle it before the sweaty-palmed matre d alongside the fake. Im an artist, and I drew this, he says in Weschlers account:

"It took me many hours to do it, and its certainly worth something. Im assigning it an arbitrary price that just happens to coincide with its face valueone hundred dollars. That means, if you do decide to accept it as full payment for our meal, youre going to have to give me thirteen dollars in change. So you have to make up your mind whether you think this piece of art is worth more or less than this regular one-hundred-dollar bill. Its entirely up to you."

and ofc the collector's market value of a boggs bill was several times its denomination even then

HookedOnChthonics has issued a correction as of 20:58 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I guess this doesn't say that being a sommelier is impossible, just that a lot of people like to fake it (and who wouldn't) but also that maybe it's impossible

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I think a wine tasting expert should be able to identify that a red is actually a white dyed red but I'm no wine snob so :shrug:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they'd have to focus on the taste instead of all the affected mannerisms of wine tasting. pretentious fart huffing is the whole point! no one actually cares about detailed verbal descriptions of flavor.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

ars gratia artis

Getting pretty good

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's great that people who think they are smarter than everyone else regularly get destroyed by their own hubris

eat the rich

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
im the lawyer that decided to work at a company called the "dedalus foundation" im sure it's fine lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
both of these are good imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLSHUyzOzWs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC4BXKsVEsw

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm actually surprised the snoop dog wine isn't more expensive

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Art museums are leftist

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

ars gratia artis

are these some of the people he sent to die?

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
well that was funny and also awful. the rich lady vs non-rich lady outcomes were exactly as expected in this hellworld

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

the spanish master is an unidentified person, or group of people, who forged an unknown number of 'ancient' bronzes mid-late last century. they melt down period coins (~100 ad), so that a chemical analysis makes the sculptures appear legit. all their works are damaged busts that miraculously have intact facial features:

as with the knoedler fakes (and many others), the greedy little pigs at auction houses and dealerships decide to overlook stuff like 'provenance', and 'why was this sculpture decapitated so perfectly?'. fortunately, there's a husky german archaeologist who has made it his life's work to embarrass the various institutions that bought them (and continue to deny that the spanish master exists). dw has made a 40 minute documentary about him :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lNSXB4i4fE

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
imagine drinking wine for any other reason than to kill braincells and black out

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

exmarx posted:

the hero of the piece is pei-shen quian, a maths teacher in his 70s. he painted the abstract impressionist fakes in his garage over 20+ years:

he got indicted when poo poo went down, but flew to china to avoid prosecution 👑

king poo poo

Mr. Sharps posted:

art in private hands generally just sits in untaxed storage units in ports waiting to be sold again. its pokemon cards for millionaires

this is a funny way to put it

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The $12 Million Stuffed Shark is a good book that goes over the whole blue chip market and how depressing the art scene is, being entirely a laundering and investment scheme where the wealthy boost already wealthy artists to become more wealthy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crepeface posted:

king poo poo
this is a funny way to put it

Theyre building exclusive for art storage units now for these investment types. A museum nobody is allowed to enter with thousands of pieces of private art.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Sharkopath posted:

Theyre building exclusive for art storage units now for these investment types. A museum nobody is allowed to enter with thousands of pieces of private art.

sounds like a perfect heist for a payday game

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Sharkopath posted:

so basically giant blinders full of plastic sleeves

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Sharkopath posted:

It's cool as a kind of natural extension of the personal collection. Like, having to choose between 'appreciating these presumably aesthetically-cool things I have' and maximizing exchange value they chose to literally deny themselves the ability to pleasurably experience art.

And they say the rich are hedonistic.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I enjoyed this

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

art forgery is great because a lot of these big artists just ran painting sweatshops anyway

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they'd have to focus on the taste instead of all the affected mannerisms of wine tasting. pretentious fart huffing is the whole point! no one actually cares about detailed verbal descriptions of flavor.

I do because I like to tell people how things taste

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

exmarx posted:

the spanish master is an unidentified person, or group of people, who forged an unknown number of 'ancient' bronzes mid-late last century. they melt down period coins (~100 ad), so that a chemical analysis makes the sculptures appear legit. all their works are damaged busts that miraculously have intact facial features:

as with the knoedler fakes (and many others), the greedy little pigs at auction houses and dealerships decide to overlook stuff like 'provenance', and 'why was this sculpture decapitated so perfectly?'. fortunately, there's a husky german archaeologist who has made it his life's work to embarrass the various institutions that bought them (and continue to deny that the spanish master exists). dw has made a 40 minute documentary about him :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lNSXB4i4fE

In the same vein, you had this legend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Forger

who created a bunch of fake medieval miniature paintings using vellum/parchment from genuine texts - stuff like the margins et cetera.

His (hers?) get identified by how the people have happy expressions on them, among other things. The forger was never caught. Goals.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

I guess this doesn't say that being a sommelier is impossible, just that a lot of people like to fake it (and who wouldn't) but also that maybe it's impossible

tasting wines and describing the flavors and aromas is fairly straightforward in terms of how legit it is (sometimes one persons raspberry is another persons pomegranate but its not like one person says orange and another says blueberry)

its when it comes to objectively rating wines on a points scale that everything becomes completely subjective nonsense

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
number... bad?!?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
whos art fogerty

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Norway we had an interesting case where the art was legit but the painter was forged. Some guy made some paintings, made up a guy and claimed that the made up guy had sold his paintings at high price.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Alhazred posted:

In Norway we had an interesting case where the art was legit but the painter was forged. Some guy made some paintings, made up a guy and claimed that the made up guy had sold his paintings at high price.

Long live Hans van Meegeren

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Based forgery scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj7B9YAfl2Q

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

whos art fogerty

the long lost 5th Creedence guy

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Rich people getting scammed is one of my favorite genres of documentary and both the movies mentioned are good.
Also a fan of art heist movies because it's cool to see planning and execution to steal from the rich.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

Rich people getting scammed is one of my favorite genres of documentary and both the movies mentioned are good.
Also a fan of art heist movies because it's cool to see planning and execution to steal from the rich.

Same token I don't like thefts from cultural institutions.

By which I mean the Met and British Museum and pretty much every museum in the West should be emptied.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

LegoMan posted:

imagine drinking wine for any other reason than to kill braincells and black out

Sacramental wine is a thing

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

net work error posted:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

theres also who the gently caress is Jackson pollock? which isnt a great doc but centers on rich ppl trying to scam poor ppl but also trying to not get scammed themselves. good footage of how stupid the authentication process for auctions is

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Long live Hans van Meegeren

I'd rather not praise a racist and antisemitt.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p67d9F9nW2Y

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Sharkopath posted:

the geneva freeport already exists and it holds around $100 billion in art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
a cool place

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dafen_Village

there's some documentary on it with a painter/forger crying while watching a Van Gogh movie