Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

exmarx posted:

to be clear, this thread is pro-entartete kunst. tho it is kind of funny imagining a bunch of germans going to an exhibition just to get mad about it.

Also keep in mind that the Degenerate Art show was much, much more popular than the Official Hygienic German Art show that was on at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Van Meegeren is known as the painter who fooled Hermann Goring so it's easy to overlook that he didn't really disagree with the nazis.

Alhazred has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Jun 2, 2021

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
You have to learn to separate the art from the forger.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Fortaleza posted:

Briefly dated a chick who was a professional sommelier, she really did have keen olfactory senses. Told me the big you learn in the whole process is how to elaborate on what you're sensing. It's not like people going through the rigors of wine tasting are enhancing their senses since there's no such thing.

That isn't to say that them being able to determine quality is real (it's not, as we've seen already) but they tend to have a more exact vocabulary for what they're experiencing even if it contradicts industry expectations.

Yeah theres a bunch of neat research on how people come up with reasons for what they do that suggests experts arent necessarily better at perceiving, just giving theoretical reasons for their preferences.

Alhazred posted:

He wrote a bunch of articles about how the proponents of modern art were a bunch of "woman-hating negro-lovers" and that the art market were controlled by the jews.

drat that sucks.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Art Forgery is good but I prefer Art Blakey

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Finished watching Made You Look: The True Story About Fake Art and it was top notch.

My take is that the gallery was definitely in on the scam given how they overlooked everything from the whole volume of "new" paintings showing
and how assessment with experts leaned towards the paints being fakes.

The amount of red flags was pretty awe inspiring:
-No real certification or history
-The history of paintings was constantly changing
-The main lead on the paintings Glafir Rosales had a history of associating with spanish conman who did similar scams
-Assessments that raised Red flag concerns about both the style and incorrect material used were discarded
-The shear volume of "new" american modern art suddenly showing up over a short period of time
-The proposed sales price from "con team" was way below similar works of art

Additionally from the finance both the Gallery owner Michael Hammer and curator Ann Freedman who pushed the narrative of the painting being legit profited over the large volume of sales before red flags got raised.

The gallery from a balance sheet also would have gone underwater if it wasn't for sales being the number one producer of revenue over the years given how all the forged paints sold for millions of dollars a pop.

It was some hilarious king moves how pei shen qian was able to escape back to china rather than face the US justice system and a 45+ year life sentence.

What was your take on the documentary after watching?

etalian has issued a correction as of 17:43 on Jun 2, 2021

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
I forged my mother's signature on school poo poo all the time. Her name is all over that awful art I made.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jKbbajb5pE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Hebborn

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

thanks for the doc OP im gonna watch it

I once had a life drawing session with an old dude as a model who was simultaneously being filmed for a doc about forging art. he claimed to have been chased by the rcmp all over canada but i forgot his name.

also Ive always been an illustrator leaning towards realism but still love some modern art pieces. one of the most memorable galleries I ever saw was just a collection of everyday objects, styrofoam packing containers, oil drums etc. I was like what's the big deal until I touched them and realized they were intricately carved from marble, like fine sculptures of disposable crap. the disassociation between the observed object and my sense of touch momentarily short circuited my brain and it ruled

Dreylad posted:

friend who worked at an art gallery told me early on that art was just a massive money laundering scheme. bitcoin got nothing on Art.

the NFT art rush made me happy cause at least (some) artists were making bank even if the rich buyers ended up getting screwed

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This comrade would pose as ultra-rich guy/philanthropist to donate his forged art to museums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NClrxjaLD20

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Durf posted:

I once had a life drawing session with an old dude as a model who was simultaneously being filmed for a doc about forging art. he claimed to have been chased by the rcmp all over canada but i forgot his name.

You wouldn't happen to be referring to the Norval Morrisseau forgeries? There Are No Fakes documents the weird saga, from the art broker selling obvious fakes to the pedophile gangleader running the forgery operation to the poor schlubs churning out the paintings for drug money. And oddly enough it suggests Morrisseau authorized the forgeries to begin with!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mark Landis avoided any criminal charges since he never charged any money for his forgeries/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Landis

For people who have Amazon Prime US here's a direct link to the documentary:
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Craft-Mark-Landis/dp/B00QSNNPCS/

etalian has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Jun 3, 2021

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
rothko sucks poo poo

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Relin posted:

rothko sucks poo poo

nope

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Rothko was a CIA op

baw
Nov 5, 2008

so is like all abstract art made during the cold war lol

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, as far as facts go its pretty fun

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I dunno exactly how this fits in this thread but I'm pretty sure it does.

Some guy sells an invisible sculpture

quote:

An Italian artist, Salvatore Garau, recently managed to sell an invisible sculpture for 15 000 (R251 982) at an Art-Rite auction. Titled Io Sono (Italian for I am) the work is immaterial and only exists in the artists imagination.

The new owner of the work, however, was given a certificate of authenticity, which is the only tangible trace of the sculpture. Garau hit back at critics of the odd sale, saying that the work is not nothing but rather a vacuum, according to Newsweek.

Strangely enough, the 67-year-old said the I am sculpture must be displayed in a special room free from obstruction in a 150cm by 150cm space. He added that the invisible sculpture requires no special lighting since you cannot see it, according to local media reports.

The successful outcome of the auction testifies to an irrefutable fact: the [vacuum] is nothing but a space full of energy, and even if we empty it and nothing remains, according to Heisenbergs uncertainty principle that nothingness has a weight, said Garau, explaining the work.

It therefore has energy that condenses and transforms into particles, in short, in us! When I decide to exhibit an immaterial sculpture in a given space, that space will concentrate a certain quantity and density of thoughts in a precise point, creating a sculpture that from my title alone will take the most varied forms.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hand Knit posted:

now that is great con

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

anyone who says modern art sucks just doesnt have a sense of humor and tbqh that justification is pretty clever and an interesting way of looking at it.

definitely building on piero manzoni's work, specifically Frieze which was an empty platform that people could stand on

baw has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Jun 3, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

double nine posted:

now that is great con

It's actually a terrible con, but rich people are just that dumb.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I feel like Rothko works really live or die in the presentation. I mean all art does but I think it's especially true for him.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

apparently the really old wines taste awful which is why they taste expensive and how you can tell blind

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

christmas boots posted:

I feel like Rothko works really live or die in the presentation. I mean all art does but I think it's especially true for him.

yeah it's just a real cool room, anything could be on those panels

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

anish kapoor's bottomless pit was really cool though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14j5qv2KbE4

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
My posts are priceless, please don't steal them

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Elissimpark posted:

My posts are priceless, please don't steal them

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Protagonist posted:

anish kapoor's bottomless pit was really cool though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14j5qv2KbE4

https://www.thecollector.com/vantablack-anish-kapoor-stuart-semple-controversy/

The most direct and biting reaction to Kapoors monopoly on Vantablack, however, was Stuart Semples. Semple, another British artist, found himself likewise allured by the abyssal color. Following his discovery of Kapoors artistic monopoly on the material, Semple hatched a plan. In the last days of 2016, retribution found Kapoor in the perhaps unlikely, but certainly poetic form of new pigment developed by Semple, one which he claimed to be the Pinkest Pink. It was posted for sale on Semples website with this legal rider:

By adding this product to your cart you confirm that you are not Anish Kapoor, you are in no way affiliated to Anish Kapoor, you are not purchasing this item on behalf of Anish Kapoor or an associate of Anish Kapoor. To the best of your knowledge, information and belief this paint will not make its way into the hands of Anish Kapoor.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr. Sharps posted:

art in private hands generally just sits in untaxed storage units in ports waiting to be sold again. its pokemon cards for millionaires

These are at major airports right? I saw something to that effect watching that sherlock holmes show on nbc

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

whoa i didn't know any of this, neat!

quote:

The recipe for Mummy Brown paint includes actual, ground-up mummies, and has not been produced since the early 20th century in part because of the dwindling supply of mummies.

:gonk:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

a helpful bear posted:

it's great that people who think they are smarter than everyone else regularly get destroyed by their own hubris

eat the rich

More like mildly inconvenienced by their own hubris

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

The Protagonist posted:

The recipe for Mummy Brown paint includes actual, ground-up mummies, and has not been produced since the early 20th century in part because of the dwindling supply of mummies.

:gonk:

Is this how they make Yugioh cards, thus the egyptian magic powers associated with the cards?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

https://www.thecollector.com/vantablack-anish-kapoor-stuart-semple-controversy/

The most direct and biting reaction to Kapoors monopoly on Vantablack, however, was Stuart Semples. Semple, another British artist, found himself likewise allured by the abyssal color. Following his discovery of Kapoors artistic monopoly on the material, Semple hatched a plan. In the last days of 2016, retribution found Kapoor in the perhaps unlikely, but certainly poetic form of new pigment developed by Semple, one which he claimed to be the Pinkest Pink. It was posted for sale on Semples website with this legal rider:

By adding this product to your cart you confirm that you are not Anish Kapoor, you are in no way affiliated to Anish Kapoor, you are not purchasing this item on behalf of Anish Kapoor or an associate of Anish Kapoor. To the best of your knowledge, information and belief this paint will not make its way into the hands of Anish Kapoor.

I have a shitload of Semple's products, and they absolutely rule. Klein Blue rules. Black 3.0 rules. His watercolor set rules. The pink rules. The glow in the dark pigments rule. the medium rules. It's a pretty good store.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wokue4bZYuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtuwqHDMrvU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WQyaKoWhjc

etalian has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Jun 5, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fortaleza posted:

Briefly dated a chick who was a professional sommelier, she really did have keen olfactory senses. Told me the big you learn in the whole process is how to elaborate on what you're sensing. It's not like people going through the rigors of wine tasting are enhancing their senses since there's no such thing.

That isn't to say that them being able to determine quality is real (it's not, as we've seen already) but they tend to have a more exact vocabulary for what they're experiencing even if it contradicts industry expectations.

I lived with a chocolate and coffee consultant who was a certified taster of that stuff and he showed me these miniature bottles containing various distillates, phenols, and purified forms of the aromatic (?) components of chocolate, which he used as part of his training in order to help distinguish the different flavors. that was interesting to learn about.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My mother in law is super excited about passing on an Antoine Blanchard streetscape that her mother acquired at great cost, too bad it's fake as poo poo.

This knowledge is a secret that I will be taking to her grave.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My mother in law is super excited about passing on an Antoine Blanchard streetscape that her mother acquired at great cost, too bad it's fake as poo poo.

that's a bleak anecdote, bro

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Eh, when we inherit it we'll probably just display it because it's pretty rather than convert it to a jetski because it's expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Lmao my grandmother tried this as a paint by numbers thing a few times